BREAKING NEWS!!!!! A real shocker

You can support free speech without supporting the morons that abuse it.

Pamela had every right to draw despicable cartoons of another religions prophet. Doesn't make it a cause I have to support.

Eat your cake and have it, too?

Pamela had every right to draw despicable cartoons of another religions prophet. Doesn't make it a cause I have to support.

No one's asking you to support it, or at least no one should be. But you SHOULD stand up and defend their right to say it. We have to defend all speech, especially now.

I can wait to see you support Fred P helps or the kkk or the Nazis then right?

In fact if you are gonna take it to this level I expect to see everyone of you express support for homosexual acts since we have the freedom to do those acts. Right?

I can wait to see you support Fred P helps or the kkk or the Nazis then right?

In fact if you are gonna take it to this level I expect to see everyone of you express support for homosexual acts since we have the freedom to do those acts. Right?

Phelps is dead, the Nazis are no more and the KKK is a non issue today.....think about it

No one's asking you to support it, or at least no one should be. But you SHOULD stand up and defend their right to say it. We have to defend all speech, especially now.

Now and always. If you don't stand for the speech you hate, you stand for nothing at all.

A right? Yes. But a college kid has the 'right' to stamp all over the US flag in front of a world war 2 vet on Memorial day.

Doesn't mean its even remotely reasonable. Pamela wanted the response she got. A security guard's life was too high a price to pay for it.

Now and always. If you don't stand for the speech you hate, you stand for nothing at all.
Standing for the speech and supporting the person behind it are two different things

Tough call.

A wise man once said, just because you have the right to speak does not mean you must.

A right? Yes. But a college kid has the 'right' to stamp all over the US flag in front of a world war 2 vet on Memorial day.

Doesn't mean its even remotely reasonable. Pamela wanted the response she got. A security guard's life was too high a price to pay for it.

What security guard's life?

Standing for the speech and supporting the person behind it are two different things

Of course. That's what I meant. If I wasn't clear, my apologies. I am agreeing with you completely.

Tough call.

A wise man once said, just because you have the right to speak does not mean you must.

Not tough at all. It would be nice if people actually engaged their brain before their mouths, but that is for them to decide. It should not be for me, and certainly not the government, to decide whether your speech is acceptable or not. Obviously there are limitations, as in anything, but it should only be a clear case of direct endangerment of others - not because what you have to say is offensive, hateful and stupid. Freedom is messy, but I'll take the mess over the alternative.

So it's OK to piss off nut-jobs if you KNOW they are going to retaliate by murdering innocent people?

Don't tell me that we need to support free speech at all costs, tell the victims families.

Nob

Security guard didn't die

MLK used civil disobediance knowing it would incite haters to react. Was that justified? Sometimes the only way for exposing the haters is to bring them out in the open.

That folks, is the reason the 1st amendment exists.

MLK used civil disobediance knowing it would incite haters to react. Was that justified? Sometimes the only way for exposing the haters is to bring them out in the open.

True but we all know who the haters are. What is to be gained by giving them more of a platform?

True but we all know who the haters are. What is to be gained by giving them more of a platform?

So you do think MLK was wrong. Seeing those dogs unleashed or the fire hoses, that resulted in major TV coverage wasn't worth it? Seeing the ugliness of the school integration wasn't worth it?

I was offended by the piss Christ, partial birth abortion discussions, etc. I have a right to say that, even to show up and voice my feelings of offense. I don't have a right to resort to violence or destroy property of others.

So it's OK to piss off nut-jobs if you KNOW they are going to retaliate by murdering innocent people?

Don't tell me that we need to support free speech at all costs, tell the victims families.
What victims?

The only dead people are the terrorists

Maybe not in this case, but do you remember the Koran-burning douche, Terry Jones?

Afghan mob kills at least 12 UN workers in protest over Terry Jones’s Koran-burning

“Wait,” you say, “since when did Terry Jones burn a Koran?” Turns out he did it 12 days ago after some sort of kangaroo court/mock trial. I didn’t know about it until today; apparently, after being savaged last fall for condemning Jones’s provocation while devoting saturation coverage to it, most of the national media wisely decided to ignore him this time. Most, but not all: Someone must have picked up the story because, by last Thursday, our “friend” Hamid Karzai had formally denounced Jones’s act. Then, a week later, our “friends” in the Pakistani government denounced it too, replete with an open letter to the head of Interpol asking him to arrest Jones for the “violent crime” he supposedly committed. In other words, faced with a choice between pleasing local fundamentalists by publicizing a provocation they were trying to demagogue and alienating the fundies by ignoring it in order to avert a violent backlash, our “allies” decided to cover their own asses by stirring the pot. And let’s face it: Given the consequences these days in AfPak for being seen as soft on blasphemy, that’s a perfectly rational decision. Someone’s going to die....

Afghan mob kills at least 12 UN workers in protest over Terry Jones s Koran-burning Hot Air

Technically, I should be able to go up to an old lady who just lost her husband and call her a slut. Would you support THAT kind of free speech?

I wouldn't, If I ever saw that, I'd punch the stupid bastard in his face.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back