Breaking News...FAR right wing Supreme Court strikes down Miranda rights 5-4

You have the right to remain silent while being waterboarded.

That's not the land of the free and the home of the brave I signed on for.

The SCOTUS is nuts.

Mere criminals cannot legally ever be waterboarded, you dishonest moron.

That delightful process is reserved for terrorists when we need their undivided attention and complete candor and full fledged robust cooperation.

Nobody cares who or what (or if) you signed up for anything. I'm quite confident that you didn't sign up, either.

The SCOTUS decision was one of the few good ones.

It's you who are nuts.

Quite frankly, I see that as a major plus for the suspects, 'cuz once they opt to STFU, the police can't KEEP ON with some sort of taunting inquisition, trying to confuse the person into a slip of the lip.

Actually, this is NOT a plus for suspects because, formerly, if they said nothing, the cops had to give up. Now, if they say nothing, the cops can keep after them and keep after them until they either invoke or (more likely) start talking.

The more opportunity the police have to lie to the suspects by telling them how they are going to "help" them if only they will tell them "their side of the story," or by threatening them with "ruse" evidence, i.e., evidence they don't have, the greater the chance that the suspect will crack and talk.

As I read this decision, what you say can no longer be done seems to me to be PRECISELY what the police now CAN do whenever the suspect fails to articulate his right to remain silent. Formerly, it didn't matter whether the suspect said he wanted to remain silent or merely remained silent without saying anything. Now, it does.

Last edited:
As I read this decision, what you say can no longer be done seems to me to be PRECISELY what the police now CAN do.

As I read this decision, what the police can do now might not be what the police could do then, but what you say can be done could be precisely what police wanted to do to begin with.

:tongue:

In a span of 12 years, the SC overturned themselves.

In 1949, it was ruled the Exclusionary rule was NOT applicable to the states.

In 1961, they overturned themselves.

The Court, depending on the makeup, will rule whatever it feels, stare decisis or not.

This appears to be one of the major differences between conservatives and liberals. I think it was Justice Frankfurter who said that the law of the land is whatever the Supreme Court says it is (or something like that).

Liberals say: "Damn right. That's the way it should be. The Constitution is an evolving document that should change with, and adapt to, the times." Conservatives say: "Activism!"

Times change. Situations change. More importantly (for the politically greedy and ambitious), the mood of the public changes. Most Constitutional questions can go one way or another. Who's to say what's right? Answer: The Supremes.

As I read this decision, what you say can no longer be done seems to me to be PRECISELY what the police now CAN do.

As I read this decision, what the police can do now might not be what the police could do then, but what you say can be done could be precisely what police wanted to do to begin with.

:tongue:

Don't screw with me, or you KNOW who I'll call in . . . :razz:

Now, it does.

Once the actual criminals figure this new rule out, I don't believe it will take very long, at all, for them to pass the info along to their cohorts,

and BEFORE, if the person just sat there, the police WERE allowed to continue to browbeat and deceive them.

NOW, all the person has to say is "I choose to remain silent," and the police MUST cease and desist in the interrogation.

See how that could work FOR the suspect? And work a LOT better than just sitting there, taking whatever abuse the police taunt them with?

Of course, I'm thinking of it from both sides of the "suspect" coin ~ heads, guilty, as well as tails, INNOCENT.

Quite frankly, I see that as a major plus for the suspects, 'cuz once they opt to STFU, the police can't KEEP ON with some sort of taunting inquisition, trying to confuse the person into a slip of the lip.

Actually, this is NOT a plus for suspects because, formerly, if they said nothing, the cops had to give up. Now, if they say nothing, the cops can keep after them and keep after them until they either invoke or (more likely) start talking.

The more opportunity the police have to lie to the suspects by telling them how they are going to "help" them if only they will tell them "their side of the story," or by threatening them with "ruse" evidence, i.e., evidence they don't have, the greater the chance that the suspect will crack and talk.

As I read this decision, what you say can no longer be done seems to me to be PRECISELY what the police now CAN do whenever the suspect fails to articulate his right to remain silent. Formerly, it didn't matter whether the suspect said he wanted to remain silent or merely remained silent without saying anything. Now, it does.

Sorry it seems to me you have an idealized vision of what things used to be like. It was never as clear as you pretend it to be unless the arrestee actually said they wished to exercise their right to remain silent and then did it.

This provides a bright line rule and is consistent with the court's other decision on right to counsel under Miranda. I think getting those in sync is a good thing. I also think it's a good thing to have a bright line for both the arrestee and the police.

In a span of 12 years, the SC overturned themselves.

In 1949, it was ruled the Exclusionary rule was NOT applicable to the states.

In 1961, they overturned themselves.

The Court, depending on the makeup, will rule whatever it feels, stare decisis or not.

This appears to be one of the major differences between conservatives and liberals. I think it was Justice Frankfurter who said that the law of the land is whatever the Supreme Court says it is (or something like that).

Liberals say: "Damn right. That's the way it should be. The Constitution is an evolving document that should change with, and adapt to, the times." Conservatives say: "Activism!"

Times change. Situations change. More importantly (for the politically greedy and ambitious), the mood of the public changes. Most Constitutional questions can go one way or another. Who's to say what's right? Answer: The Supremes.

The core Statist thought as expressed by GC.

To me, neither SCOTUS nor Congress should have a such a major job.

Congress should limit itself to meeting once a month and not try to legislate every human activity. Accordingly, SCOTUS would have a very light workload dealing only with the letter of the law and not inventing rights out of whole cloth under the guise of Judicial Review.

The Constitution had an Amendment process to confer new rights. That process has been rendered laughable by any Liberal leaning SCOTUS.

Yes, times change and situation change and it will take us a generation, 8 4-year terms to undo all the Unconstitutional changes wrought by Progressives these last 70 years

Sorry it seems to me you have an idealized vision of what things used to be like. It was never as clear as you pretend it to be unless the arrestee actually said they wished to exercise their right to remain silent and then did it.

Prior to this ruling, the police had to cease interrogation if the defendant EITHER remained silent without announcing his intention to do so (i.e., he just sits there and says nothing) OR if the defendant announced his intention not to want to talk to the police.

Now, the police only have to cease interrogation in the latter case - where the defendant invokes his right to silence in an affirmative manner. Now, if the defendant merely sits there, saying nothing, the police can keep hammering on him until he either invokes or talks. I don't view this as a step forward for suspect's rights under the Miranda decision.

This provides a bright line rule and is consistent with the court's other decision on right to counsel under Miranda. I think getting those in sync is a good thing. I also think it's a good thing to have a bright line for both the arrestee and the police.

The former situation provided just as much of a bright line rule as the present one. The present one is just allows more room for the police to get confessions out of suspects.

Last edited:
They had the guy in the room for hours and he refused to talk. If the cops didn't realize he was using his right to remain silent then they're fucking morons who shouldn't be on the force.

They were looking for a loophole to continue grilling the guy and now they have one.

Who wants to bet they'll conveniently forget to tell suspects they have to assert their right to remain silent?

Good thing you didn't bother to read the case. He murdered, fled the state and changed his identity. But the poor man had to sit in a room for "hours!"

And yet he still has the right to remain silent.

It's quite simple, if you remain silent for a long time the police should have the common sense to realize you're invoking the right to remain silent.

Now, it does.

Once the actual criminals figure this new rule out, I don't believe it will take very long, at all, for them to pass the info along to their cohorts,

and BEFORE, if the person just sat there, the police WERE allowed to continue to browbeat and deceive them.

NOW, all the person has to say is "I choose to remain silent," and the police MUST cease and desist in the interrogation.

See how that could work FOR the suspect? And work a LOT better than just sitting there, taking whatever abuse the police taunt them with?

Of course, I'm thinking of it from both sides of the "suspect" coin ~ heads, guilty, as well as tails, INNOCENT.

Look at the case this was based on. The guy sat in a room for hours and didn't talk, and yet the cops were somehow clueless enough to not figure out he was invoking the right to remain silent.

And now those fuckers have the law behind them.

The former situation provided just as much of a bright line rule as the present one. The present one is just allows more room for the police to get confessions out of suspects.

BS. If that is true, then where does the former 'bright line' exist? 5 minutes of silence? 10? 20? You don't know, that's where the line is and that is what leads to the BS confusion and controversy we see here. It is simple, they have changed ambiguous fuzzy lines to definite clear lines, a point that I have been trying to point out for pages that has largely been ignored. The same post comes over and over again.....
I don't see this as a reversal of Miranda, but I do see it as a dangerous erosion. It certainly adds to the slippery slope argument.
...without any real evidence as to where this is happening. All the same right apply, the right to remain silent just has been given a definite, definable and unmistakable starting point. There should be no more cases like this one where there is a question as to whether or not the suspect has invoked his or her right (or at least far fewer).

Do the American people need any MORE evidence right wing America is ANTI-freedom? What NEXT, guilty until proven innocent???

Court: Suspects must say they want to be silent

By JESSE J. HOLLAND (AP) – 1 hour ago

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that suspects must explicitly tell police they want to be silent to invoke Miranda protections during criminal interrogations, a decision one dissenting justice said turns defendants' rights "upside down."

A right to remain silent and a right to a lawyer are the first of the Miranda rights warnings, which police recite to suspects during arrests and interrogations. But the justices said in a 5-4 decision that suspects must tell police they are going to remain silent to stop an interrogation, just as they must tell police that they want a lawyer.

Justice Sonia Sotomayor, the court's newest member, wrote a strongly worded dissent for the court's liberals, saying the majority's decision "turns Miranda upside down."

"Criminal suspects must now unambiguously invoke their right to remain silent — which counter-intuitively, requires them to speak," she said. "At the same time, suspects will be legally presumed to have waived their rights even if they have given no clear expression of their intent to do so. Those results, in my view, find no basis in Miranda or our subsequent cases and are inconsistent with the fair-trial principles on which those precedents are grounded."

Wake up. In most instances in this country you ARE guilty until proven innocent in actual practice. Miranda is just lip service, and damned sure isn't the right paying that lip service.

The police don't have the right to hold you endlessly hammering you with questions, but they do.

If your spouse is murdered, you best damn-well be able to prove your whereabouts 3 states away, and you best hope you aren't in a position to easily be railroaded.

You can be held endlessly without bond.

That's our justice system in practice. You're just to busy crying "the sky is falling" to pay attention to it. Suspects ALWAYS have had to invoke the right to remain silent and lawyer up. The police get around it by not arresting you until after they interrogate you. You have no Miranda Rights at that point, and never have.

To me, that's like saying that someone giving testimony,

who just sits there, not answering the questions,

should be considered to have invoked their 5th Amendment Right to remain silent.

No court would accept that, because if THAT is the witness' INTENT,

they SAY IT IS.

If I was picked up for something, and being badgered by the police into thinking I might really be in Deep Trouble,

I'd TELL them I had no intention of "talking."

It must be because I don't see myself being arrested for anything I might have actually done, since I'm a basically law-abiding person,

so I'm seeing it more from an innocent person's view, where being hounded and humiliated would be sort of traumatic.

Now, it does.

Look at the case this was based on. The guy sat in a room for hours and didn't talk, and yet the cops were somehow clueless enough to not figure out he was invoking the right to remain silent.

And now those fuckers have the law behind them.
Again, BS. He did NOT sit in a room silent for hours. He expressed limited communication, some yes and no answers and the like. THAT IS NOT SILENCE. That is the problem here. Now we are wasting time in court wondering if the spurts of silence count precisely because the old Miranda method was so damn ambiguous. Now it is not, there is a clear delineation of where your right to remain silent is evoked and that can even be within seconds of the questioning.

Forum List

Back