Breaking Update: Obama Replaces “Allah” with “God” in Edited Transcripts of Orlando Killer’s Calls

The way I'm reading the transcript, his statements were in Arabic, and they were translated into English, hence "God" instead of "Allah." Am I wrong?

To be precise, there is no 'name' for the 'One God' in Hebrew and, thus, for Christians. Instead of a noun, the term is a verb form that is mostly translated into English as 'I Am', or similar. Allah is a noun, and is the Arabic name for the 'One God'. But, Allah does not mean 'I Am' in Arabic. Some may call this a technicality, but many take this to be an important and fundamental point. Therefore, the most honest translation of 'Allah' into English is 'Allah'.

So Arabic followers of other religions than Islam don't use Allah to refer to God?
They might very well, being Arabic and, it is to be supposed, speaking/thinking in Arabic. The nuance is significant, though, between a name, a noun, and the YHWH verb form. It has transcendent linguistic importance.
Of course, for those who do not believe in 'God' it makes neither sense nor difference.

Hillary would have changed it from Allah to Trump and the low information Dem base would have believed it completely

The way I'm reading the transcript, his statements were in Arabic, and they were translated into English, hence "God" instead of "Allah." Am I wrong?

To be precise, there is no 'name' for the 'One God' in Hebrew and, thus, for Christians. Instead of a noun, the term is a verb form that is mostly translated into English as 'I Am', or similar. Allah is a noun, and is the Arabic name for the 'One God'. But, Allah does not mean 'I Am' in Arabic. Some may call this a technicality, but many take this to be an important and fundamental point. Therefore, the most honest translation of 'Allah' into English is 'Allah'.

So Arabic followers of other religions than Islam don't use Allah to refer to God?
According to the wikipedia explanation, Arab Christians use it as well.
They don't speak English and the nuance is lost.

Muslims worship Allah the pagan moon God. Allah is not the God of Christians or Jews, and should not be translated as though that is the case.

I'm not arguing with you. The exact meaning of the word is not the reason the posters here are objecting, however.

I'm not arguing with you. The exact meaning of the word is not the reason the posters here are objecting, however.
Your comment was not taken as hostile. I see there is some reaction in the thread to this subject, but it is pretty simple and clear, really; not a matter for dispute or rancor.

Muslims worship Allah the pagan moon God. Allah is not the God of Christians or Jews, and should not be translated as though that is the case.
To be totally fair, there is some linguistic ambiguity in this matter. True, 'Allah' was used before Islam, but the Arabic language really wasn't formalized until the Koran and after (this is one of the reasons it can be argued that the Koran is 'perfect' Arabic, but let's not open too many worm cans at once!). The fact that 'Allah' was taken for the name of 'God' may be other than straight transference from the moon 'god'. In any case, Allah does not mean I am in Arabic.

They spoke English,i f he said,pork and beans,thats what should be recorded,if it was Allah then that's what is used,its not hard here.This is simple stuff.

Breaking News Update:

Is this insane or what. He wants to tie Christianity into this terror attack.

Obama Replaces "Allah" with "God" in Edited Transcripts of Orlando Killer's Calls

Why would it surprise anyone> The "Muslim-In-Chief" can't embarrass the good Muslims....

Oh I get it, you're Muslim too. I mean, Obama is black, he must be a Muslim, I guess that makes you a Muslim too.

Obama has always been Muslim:

Just like you.

'the most honest translation' according to whom?

Thanks. I'm not sure why they felt it needed to be translated, either--I think most Americans recognize what "Allah" means. I guess the administration is being super sensitive to words that could trigger a negative reaction in ignorant minds. I don't think we need such kid glove treatment, but The Prof doesn't have a very high opinion of us, apparently.
This is a subject that really has not been adequately clarified and I think it should be. Automatically translating 'Allah' into 'God' in English can be regarded as propaganda. While the intention may be understandable, the fact is there are fundamental differences and dishonesty about that is not constructive.

Are you a professional translator of Arabic?

Breaking News Update:

Obama Replaces "Allah" with "God" in Edited Transcripts of Orlando Killer's Calls

Why would it surprise anyone> The "Muslim-In-Chief" can't embarrass the good Muslims....

Oh I get it, you're Muslim too. I mean, Obama is black, he must be a Muslim, I guess that makes you a Muslim too.

Just like you.

Nope. Born and raised Baptist. I can't speak that language anyway.

How long have you supported ISIS?

Breaking News Update:

Just like you.

Not as long as you have supported ISIS.

Thanks for confirming you have been a Muslim as long as President Obama.

Do you eat pork, get baptized, drink alcohol and get married in a church to?

You crazy Muslims!

Just like you.

You crazy Muslims!

Ah, don't feel bad, you liberal ISIS guys HAVEvto stand behind the Muslim in chief.

Eat pork? Are you kidding!!i love me some pork!! Been Baptized and haven't had anything stronger than a beer in 40 years.

Unlike you, inebriation is not becoming...

He's a busy bloke this Obama fella.
I didn't realise he did the translating for the DOJ.
I would have thought that plotting the downfall of the US would have been a full time job.

Just like you.

You crazy Muslims!

Ah, don't feel bad, you liberal ISIS guys HAVEvto stand behind the Muslim in chief.

Eat pork? Are you kidding!!i love me some pork!! Been Baptized and haven't had anything stronger than a beer in 40 years.

Unlike you, inebriation is not becoming...

So you are just like like the President- eating pork, been baptized, drink beer- just you never got married in a church.

Do you fly your ISIS flag right next to your Iranian flag and your Stars and Bars?

He's a busy bloke this Obama fella.
I didn't realise he did the translating for the DOJ.
I would have thought that plotting the downfall of the US would have been a full time job.

He is busy getting ready for his post presidency occupation....

Forum List

Back