British schools are removing analog clocks from classrooms because kids can't read them

Schools in the United Kingdom are beginning to remove analog clocks from the classroom — because students are complaining that they can’t read them, reports say.
British schools are removing analog clocks from classrooms because kids can't read them

Oh you ca be sure they're just as stupid here. Liberals breed low IQ jackasses.
I remember in the 1st grade in 1945 having a class on telling time for those 6 year old kids who couldn't. Most of the kids already could as well as already knowing how to read youth books. Surely each school could have an hour of instruction on reading a clock. But they'll waste money on digital clocks.

Well this is part of the problem.

1) Parents expect schools to educate their kids, rather than doing part of it themselves,

2) The aims of education are massively screwed up
It used to be that kids could tell time, read and write by the time they started 1st grade. Even if the mother was working. From early 1942 to end of 1945 my mother worked in an aircraft factory and she found time to teach me how to read by age 6.

Sure, and things have changed and people simply don't bother to much any more. How do you change that attitude?

Schools in the United Kingdom are beginning to remove analog clocks from the classroom — because students are complaining that they can’t read them, reports say.

Most kids can't muck out a stall, either.
Many adults I know wouldn't even know what you're talking about.

Neither would a spider. Most adults I know wouldn't know how to produce silk from their ass and then spin it into a web.

People need the skills they will use in their lives. Mucking out stalls isn't going to get city folk anywhere. It'd be like learning Swahili.

What's "muck out a stall" without me having to Google?

If it involves a snow or grain shovel, eh.

Analog clocks are stupid and obsolete? Any of you know how to place and read a sundial? Nope.

Yes, but..analog clocks and Greenwich Mean Time. Owait, that was like the 1st digital watches we did that with..sync to Greenwich mean time.
In one of my rare moments of observing TV, there was one of those "man on the street" question and answer shows. One of the questions was, what does PM mean (when talking of time designation). Needless to say, the gal answering the questions had no clue. I cannot remember where or when I learned about ante-meridian and post meridian, but at least I knew the answer.

And poop.

Neither would a spider. Most adults I know wouldn't know how to produce silk from their ass and then spin it into a web.

People need the skills they will use in their lives. Mucking out stalls isn't going to get city folk anywhere. It'd be like learning Swahili.
Ya know, it would be refreshing, though, if even city folk realized the the chicken, beef, etc, that they buy in the grocery actually correlated to animals. Or that almonds and soy beans are incapable of producing milk.

Nothing to do with liberals silly...it's just the way technology has moved. Almost everyone uses digital clocks.

I use analog...I grew up with it....I like it...but in the future....will clockwise and counterclockwise lose meaning? Dunno

And poop.

Ok, yeah. That's not rocket surgery. Not getting kicked or rammed would be a good thing to learn, though.

Ya know, it would be refreshing, though, if even city folk realized the the chicken, beef, etc, that they buy in the grocery actually correlated to animals. Or that almonds and soy beans are incapable of producing milk.

I could have sworn I saw an add in Craigslist for experienced soy milkers...

Nothing to do with liberals silly...it's just the way technology has moved. Almost everyone uses digital clocks.

I use analog...I grew up with it....I like it...but in the future....will clockwise and counterclockwise lose meaning? Dunno

I have a statement to make: If a person does not know what clockwise/counter-clockwise is, they cannot make money with me. Sorry, that's just how it is, and for good reason.

I rather like doing things the "old" way. There is so much to be gained by the sweat of one's brow and the labor of one's hands. I'm reasonably sure that loads of folks have no clue how soap comes into being, or cheese, for that matter. Or so many other things that are used every day in our lives. I love making the things I use and eat. But then, I cherish living closer to Nature and understanding the turning of the season, as it were.
Analog-to-digital might be a nice technological advance. But it is not unacceptable to teach "history", if you will.

I rather like doing things the "old" way. There is so much to be gained by the sweat of one's brow and the labor of one's hands. I'm reasonably sure that loads of folks have no clue how soap comes into being, or cheese, for that matter. Or so many other things that are used every day in our lives. I love making the things I use and eat. But then, I cherish living closer to Nature and understanding the turning of the season, as it were.
Analog-to-digital might be a nice technological advance. But it is not unacceptable to teach "history", if you will.

You might find this opinion piece interesting - it made me thing...Opinion | The Tyranny of Convenience

You might find this opinion piece interesting - it made me thing...Opinion | The Tyranny of Convenience

Don't get me started on these newer washing machines. :eusa_naughty:

For some reason, I have broken every wringer I come into contact with, other that that, I have triples of everything else.

My washer works like a boss! Got some clothespins wedged into the agitator ratchet action, lid switch bypassed. Good for another 10 years, but I think I'll buy a backup.

Don't get me started on these newer washing machines. :eusa_naughty:

For some reason, I have broken every wringer I come into contact with, other that that, ihave triples of everything else.

My washer works like a boss! Gor some clothespins wedged into the agitator ratchet action, lid switch bypassed. Good for another 10 years, but I think I'll buy a backup.
Mine finally rusted out underneath, caused a flood, and I had to buy a new one...wonder if it will last as long...

Forum List

Back