California!!

Auburn hospital grapples with Affordable Care Act challenges

Sutter Auburn Faith Hospital is facing challenges as the Affordable Care Act is implemented, the North Auburn medical facility’s executive director said.

But hospital CEO Mitch Hanna said he’s cautiously optimistic that the facility, which is one of the largest employers in the Auburn area and has an annual budget of $120.1 million, will successfully weather Affordable Care Act changes.

But it needs help from the community to do so, he said.

Hanna said the nonprofit hospital, part of the Sutter Health system, had a slim, 1.9 percent operating margin in 2013, which was bolstered by $2.4 million in donations to the Sutter Auburn Faith Hospital Foundation.

“But we anticipate it’s going to have a negative impact because we have a large percentage of Medicare patients, and Medicare reimbursement is declining,” Hanna said. “Medicare is initiating what is called value-based purchasing, which is essentially withholding money that they otherwise would have paid us previously.”

Contradicting?

The rest of the article can be found here:

Auburn hospital grapples with Affordable Care Act challenges | Lincoln News Messenger

The mediCal reimbursement schedules will mean a lot of talent flight, less than $200 for a tonsilectomy was the headline a while back.

Great. Not only was obamacare responsible for millions of Americans losing their health plans, now we're looking at the very real possibility of hospitals shutting down.

The only feasible solution would be to repeal obamacare before anymore damage is done.

Medicare prescription to cut costs raises Auburn pain management concerns

While the Affordable Care Act is causing headaches for some, an Auburn pain-management physician is expressing concerns about another health-related issue he says is confronting the community and the nation.

Dr. James Willis, who is in independent practice in North Auburn, is one of about 10,000 doctors who are members of the American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians now raising objections to planned cuts in Medicare physician payments that they say could result in four in 10 of them closing their practices.

Vaughan added that hospitals have an advantage because they can negotiate as a larger group with Medicare officials.

For Willis, the threat of losing his practice and selling $250,000 worth of technical equipment for pennies on the dollar is looming.

“They’re trying to push doctors out of private practice and into a hospital setting,” he said.

The rest of the story:

Medicare prescription to cut costs raises Auburn pain management concerns | Lincoln News Messenger

btw, this newspaper is lw.

Cheers!

Sutter Auburn Faith Hospital has seen revenues on Medicare patients increase under the value-based purchasing initiative:

20hrbx0.png

I'm sure there are lower-performing, lower-quality hospitals that are in fact financially threatened by linking a small amount of their reimbursement to how good a job they're doing. It would probably be more compelling to highlight one of them, not a high-quality high performer that's been getting bumps to its Medicare reimbursements under these programs.

Last edited:

Sutter Auburn Faith Hospital is facing challenges as the Affordable Care Act is implemented, the North Auburn medical facility’s executive director said.

But hospital CEO Mitch Hanna said he’s cautiously optimistic that the facility, which is one of the largest employers in the Auburn area and has an annual budget of $120.1 million, will successfully weather Affordable Care Act changes.

Hanna said the nonprofit hospital, part of the Sutter Health system, had a slim, 1.9 percent operating margin in 2013, which was bolstered by $2.4 million in donations to the Sutter Auburn Faith Hospital Foundation.

“But we anticipate it’s going to have a negative impact because we have a large percentage of Medicare patients, and Medicare reimbursement is declining,” Hanna said. “Medicare is initiating what is called value-based purchasing, which is essentially withholding money that they otherwise would have paid us previously.”

Contradicting?

Auburn hospital grapples with Affordable Care Act challenges | Lincoln News Messenger

correct me if I wrong here ... medicare isn't the ACA... right or wrong
The ACA has been in effect for 2 monts for all hospitals ... right or wrong??? lets see here ... before the ACA, when a person with no insurance came in they got how much???? nothing... right or wrong...
verses now ... when that same person comes in and has medicaid now, not medicare, this hospital is bitching now because they don't get enough money???? that['s funny ... right or wong

Last edited:
Sutter Auburn Faith Hospital has seen revenues on Medicare patients increase under the value-based purchasing initiative:

20hrbx0.png

I'm sure there are lower-performing, lower-quality hospitals that are in fact financially threatened by linking a small amount of their reimbursement to how good a job they're doing. It would probably be more compelling to highlight one of them, not a high-quality high performer that's been getting bumps to its Medicare reimbursements under these programs.

not a high-quality high performer

Ahhh, just another part of the ACA that is unknown by many.

Please explain to the laymen exactly what you mean by your post.

I know what it means and how it's defined.

The ACA has been in effect for 2 monts for all hospitals ... right or wrong??? lets see here ... before the ACA, when a person with no insurance came in they got how much???? nothing... right or wrong...
verses now ... when that same person comes in and has medicaid now, not medicare, this hospital is bitching now because they don't get enough money???? that['s funny ... right or wong

Wrong, on so many levels.

Ask Greenbeard to explain it to you.

The threat of hospital closures will not really resolve itself until at least June and maybe longer but the amount of time needed to get to an ER and probability of survival was worked out tolerably well by Philip of Macedon over 2,000 years ago when he created the first military medical corps. This problem will get ugly quick.

Why it should be unknown at this point I have no idea. Medicare has started tying some payments to the quality of care provided. That's a huge shift in an industry that's based largely on everyone being unaccountable.

People ought to know that their hospitals are getting safer and the quality of the care they're providing is improving, it's not a secret.

More hospitals improve quality of care | Healthcare Finance News
WASHINGTON | November 4, 2013
A larger number of hospitals are showing improvements in their quality of care said the Joint Commission in its annual report on quality and safety of hospitals.

Last week during a webcast detailing the results of its annual report, the Joint Commission said 1,099 Joint Commission-accredited hospitals were named in its report as Top Performer on Key Quality Measures hospitals, representing a 77 percent increase from last year.

Obamacare Incentives Slow Hospitals' Revolving Door - Bloomberg
Then Redd, like more than 600 other Mount Sinai patients over the past three years, was singled out as a high-risk patient and assigned to one of 27 social workers focused on keeping patients out of the hospital. Mount Sinai created the program after the Affordable Care Act set up an incentive system to provide hospitals extra money for keeping people healthy, and penalize them for having too many patients readmitted too soon.

Mount Sinai said the program reduced admissions 43 percent and cut emergency room visits 54 percent during a test run from September 2010 to May 2012. The decision to target high-risk patients is estimated to have saved $1.6 million in medical costs over a six-month period, the hospital said.

In Redd’s case, she said the program may have saved her life. Since May, when she started working with a hospital social worker, she has been admitted to Mount Sinai just once, is regularly going to dialysis and on the waiting list for a new kidney.

Obamacare Shows Hospital Savings as Patients Make Gains - Bloomberg
Less than five months before the Affordable Care Act fully kicks in, hospitals are improving care and saving millions of dollars with one of the least touted but potentially most effective provisions of the law.

While much of the focus on Obamacare has been on the government rush to open insurance exchanges by Oct. 1, 252 hospitals and physician groups across the U.S. have signed up to join the administration’s accountable care program, in which they share the financial risk of keeping patients healthy.

Under the program, hospitals and physician practices take responsibility for tracking and maintaining the health of elderly and disabled patients. If costs rise beyond an agreed upon level, hospitals may become responsible for reimbursing the government. If they cut the cost of care while maintaining quality, hospitals share in the savings. The government expects the savings may be as much as $1.9 billion from 2012 to 2015. Early indications suggest they are starting to add up.

Contradicting?

In Cali no insurance equaled head of the line rights in ER. You were not turned away

-Geaux

Great. Not only was obamacare responsible for millions of Americans losing their health plans, now we're looking at the very real possibility of hospitals shutting down.

The only feasible solution would be to repeal obamacare before anymore damage is done.

Insurance companies are the reason Americans are getting their healthcare changed to other policies.

What I find bizarre is that the hospitals that have closed in GA did not make national news.

How many of those closed hospitals had direct competition with insurance company owned hospitals?

During the Bush years, United Healthcare bought more than 50% of the hospitals and Doctors in Vegas. The smaller guys are having a hard time competing with the UHC Goliath.

Also, of the closed hospitals in GA, how many have suffered down revenue due to uninsured working folks? Seems it's OK for employers not to do THE RIGHT THING.

Insurance companies are the reason Americans are getting their healthcare changed to other policies.
Insurance companies were forced to cancel health plans because of obamacare. The president should have checked with the insurance companies before he made a promise that he couldn't keep. Some of those folks who lost their health plans are still not covered.

20hrbx0.png

Do you understand that by talking about revenues you are actually not making the point you want me to jump to? I am just asking because I want to know if you are stupid, or if you just think everyone else is.

The increased revenues are because they are getting more patients that use Medical, not because they are getting more money per patient. If I was to be stupid as you want me to be, I might conclude that they were lying. Since I am not, and I know you would never lie about Obamacare, I am forced to conclude that you are stupid.

Contradicting?

You are wrong.

20hrbx0.png

not a high-quality high performer

Please explain to the laymen exactly what you mean by your post.

I know what it means and how it's defined.

Basically, it means that they are getting a larger quantity of sick patients using MediCal than other hospitals.

Even Obama backed off that one.

Forum List

Back