Canadian Court tells dad - The kids aren't yours but you still must pay child support

This is really a tough call. I've been listening to shows coast to coast up here on this. Every one commiserates with the father.

And everyone I've heard wants to throttle the mother. Or lynch her.

But what a moral dilemma. Because the girls have only known him as their father. He has raised them as his own.

Aye carumba. Three different men. It doesn't get worse unless there was a fourth father.

I can't imagine this man's sense of betrayal.

No wonder men turn into serial killers. No justice in this world for them

So, he's considered himself their father for that any years and because of DNA, he doesn't want to help support them?

(Mother is NOT blameless here, mind you)

He shouldn't have to. Even though he may have raised them, he has no genetic link to them.

Despite the moral implications, if was I was his lawyer I'd be getting him travel brochures for Tierra del Fuego.

Yikes.

There is nothing new in this. A man who is the legal father of children has always been obliged to pay child support. This is the way it has always been in America.

That is not true. Forced child support really didn't start until the mid 20th century when the American people suddenly decided they should let the government into their houses.

Well, it has always been the case in America as long as I have been aware. As long as the couple is married or the man's signature is on the birth certificate, the man was considered the legal father. I think that because of such a high divorce rate these days and because of the problems of collecting child support, the law has been confirmed in the various states more recently. It is called The Presumed Father Law:

Presumed Father Laws | LegalMatch Law Library
This link outlines the law.

This quote is from another page and focuses on the type of situation in the OP (this quote is not from the link above):

"if a blood test proves that you are not the father, whether the real father is made known by proof or not, then the presumed father must still pay child support. Also, if the biological father is made known to the court he will not be obligated to pay child support but the custody and visitation will be shared only between the biological parents involved.
By law, a presumed father must pay child support.
"Under the Child Support Enforcement Act of 1984, it is against the law for any father, presumed or assumed, to not pay court ordered child support to the custodial guardian, regardless of joint custody. Federal laws permit the interception of tax refunds to enforce child support orders, and other methods of enforcement include wage attachments, seizure of property, suspension of a business license, and in California, driver's license revocation. In the event that none of these attempts are entirely successful, the court of law that issued the child support order can hold the father in contempt and, in the absence of a reasonable explanation for the delinquency, impose a jail term."
Presumed Fathers Act: Should a Man Pay Child Support Even If He is Not the Biological Father? - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

This is happening here too.

"TOPEKA, Kan. A sperm donor in Kansas is fighting a state effort to force him to pay child support for a child conceived through artificial insemination by a lesbian couple.

William Marotta, 46, of Topeka said he is "a little scared about where this is going to go, primarily for financial reasons," The Topeka Capital-Journal reported Monday."

http://m.cbsnews.com/storysynopsis....-support/&feed_id=1&videoid=37&catid=57561553

The difference is, this guy IS the biological sperm donor. I do agree with you though, it's totally fucked up to force him to pay these two broads child support.

So, he's considered himself their father for that any years and because of DNA, he doesn't want to help support them?

You can't understand the concept of a man being cuckolded by a cheating whore and not liking it?

I don't know that I would ever speak to the mother again... but if I'd spent that long with the kids and had built up a parental level of trust and support? That guy is their Dad and I hope for his sake and the kids sake he embraces the role.

Since they're "his", perhaps he should take custody, having mom declared an unfit parent.

He shouldn't have to. Even though he may have raised them, he has no genetic link to them.

He raised them, they're his kids.

He has raised them, yes, and he is the only father they have ever known. But no man should ever be expected to pay support for children that are not biologically his! Especially if his wife was a whore who screwed around behind his back.

You can't understand the concept of a man being cuckolded by a cheating whore and not liking it?

I don't know that I would ever speak to the mother again... but if I'd spent that long with the kids and had built up a parental level of trust and support? That guy is their Dad and I hope for his sake and the kids sake he embraces the role.

Since they're "his", perhaps he should take custody, having mom declared an unfit parent.

Bet the courts wouldn't award him custody due to the kids not being biologically his.

He still had a fraud perpetrated on him. YOu're having "rape by deception" become increasingly popular, so a man is forced to pay child support after paternity fraud w ith no consequences to the fraudulent party, but a man can be charged with rape if he lied about being single or lied about being rich?

When you are married to a woman, all children born during that marriage, unless otherwise stated, are the responsibility of the husband under our law. Family court puts children above everyone else, those kids have spent the last 16 years believing he is their dad, the court says he can't divorce himself from that now.

So they can make him pay support, but they cannot force this man to be their father unless he wants to. I am never getting married again, that law is a joke and a slap in the face.

Marriage is a raw deal for men. They have absolutely nothing to gain from it.

Damn straight, you lose your freedom and apparently your fucking civil rights!

He has raised them, yes, and he is the only father they have ever known. But no man should ever be expected to pay support for children that are not biologically his! Especially if his wife was a whore who screwed around behind his back.

Marriages are not all made the same.

he would need to prove she decieved him.

What if they had an open marriage?

Marriages are not all made the same.

he would need to prove she decieved him.

What if they had an open marriage?

Even if they did, that doesn't mean he should pay child support for someone elses kids.

I don't think he could prove fraud, since he has already admitted to being well aware of her having had multiple affairs.

I have to wonder if bringing in the biological fathers is something this man honestly wants. I think right now he's mad as hell that his wife left him, and he wants to punish her. However I'd bet while he may not want to pay support, he also would hate it if his daughters started calling someone else daddy.

I'm thinking a civil suit... The prospect of the ex wife having to come up with a huge chunk of change might net the names of the biological fathers.

Seems like a civil jury might be more rational than family court.

I have to wonder if bringing in the biological fathers is something this man honestly wants. I think right now he's mad as hell that his wife left him, and he wants to punish her. However I'd bet while he may not want to pay support, he also would hate it if his daughters started calling someone else daddy.

If those guys who impregnated her get served with child support papers there is no guarantee they will want to get involved in the childs life still. My ex girlfriend had a kid with someone when she was very young, the guy pays his child support but has NO interest in getting to know his son. Not everyone who pays support is active in their childs life.

Forum List

Back