Causes of Death in the USA...

Note the absolute lack of citation.

Note also- how the OP lists 'abortion' but not 'miscarriage'. How can 'abortion' be a cause of death- but not miscarriage?

Not also- how the OP lists murder by gun- but doesn't list suicide at all.

Because of course the OP doesn't want to bring attention to the number suicides per year : 42,773

Here is a real list from the CDC
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db229_table.pdf#1
  • Heart disease: 614,348
  • Cancer: 591,699
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 147,101
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 136,053
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 133,103
  • Alzheimer's disease: 93,541
  • Diabetes: 76,488
  • Influenza and pneumonia: 55,227
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 48,146
  • Intentional self-harm (suicide): 42,773
And of those suicides- about half are by guns
Firearm suicides
I wonder why the OP chose to post such misleading information........
That's cute, he blames guns for suicides as though there aren't other methods. Do you think that if a person truly wanted to die, banning guns would stop them?

I point out the suicides by gun because the OP mentions the numbers of murders by gun.

The OP was deliberately dishonest- I understand that it upsets you that I provided accurate statistics.
Using a gun to commit suicide is still killing yourself, hardly the gun's fault. You blaming inanimate objects for deaths doesn't upset me, there are plenty of ignorant people in the world. If I got upset for every ignorant person, it wouldn't accomplish anything. The best I can do is correct you. You're welcome.

Using a gun to murder someone is still killing someone. It is hardly the gun's fault.

Yet- the OP specified 'murders by gun'- that is what i was addressing.

I notice that you have yet bothered to reply once to the actual OP- nor did you have a similar problem with the OP's claim about 'murders by gun".
It's a reference to the statistic, which is way too loose to start with. Not really the OP's fault for the statistic, since he was using a screenshot. I agree, referring to it that way is dumb, but that's how it's written in the screenshot.

Really? You don't think a person is responsible for starting the thread by posting a lie?

Really?

Meanwhile- you take the time to argue with me about the actual statistics I posted- but don't bother to do the same with OP- and the rather slanted statistics she posted.

Just think what we could accomplished if we worked from the top down instead of from the bottom up.

13442161_1613916348922165_386575410766752235_n.jpg

As if we aren't working on all of those things.

Our Democrat Representatives are currently holding a SIT-IN in the House of Representatives...demanding that they get to vote on a bill that the Senate has already defeated.

The stupidity of our Congressmen is being exposed.

Rep Tony Cardenas (D-CA) has repeated a phrase..." people die at the hand of a gun" several times. What a fucking stupid man. Are ALL Californians crazy?

There's a dupe standing behind him holding a sign that says "DISARM HATE"

Is our House FULL of idiots or is it just my imagination?

It's not your imagination, in fact the entire Federal Government is FULL of idiots that are almost as idiotic as the people that keep electing them.

That being said, I fully support this "sit-in" since while they're busy "sitting-in" they can't do any further harm to the citizenry, so let 'em sit there from now until the end of the world. ;)
I agree they are wasting their time and can do no real harm. However, they did cause Ryan to adjourn the House several days early, thereby wasting more days of all the Representatives keeping them all from getting any work done.

Why talk about the stupidity of our Congressman being exposed? Except maybe to divert attention from having your own stupidity exposed?
You haven't responded once to my pointing out the stupidity and dishonesty of your OP.

Note also- how the OP lists 'abortion' but not 'miscarriage'. How can 'abortion' be a cause of death- but not miscarriage?

Because of course the OP doesn't want to bring attention to the number suicides per year : 42,773

Firearm suicides

Just think what we could accomplished if we worked from the top down instead of from the bottom up.

Firearm suicides

I wonder why the retort still has nine items higher on their own list?

"I would like to commit suicide, but I can't get a gun. Gosh, I'm stumped! I guess I just won't be able to kill myself now."

:lol:

I don't think you are being entirely honest here.

Of course people can commit suicide in many, many ways.

But the easier it is to commit a suicide on impulse, the more likely it is a person will go through with it before they think it through.

Certainly I could rig my car to poison myself with carbon monoxide, but that would take some effort, and the process would be long and I would have lots of time to rethink my decision- with a gun- once the decision is made and trigger pulled boom.

And I don't say that as someone who says we should take guns away. Just rather obvious- more guns around- easier suicide is. Hell I was making that same argument for the people who were outraged that California legalized assisted suicide for terminal patients- since we have a legal right to own a gun- we can certainly use our legal gun to end our suffering.

Japan suicide rate: 19.4 per 100,000

US suicide rate: 12.6 per 100,000

Guess which country has the strictest gun control.
You're citing the suicide rate in Japan... Ummm.. hello? :D

"Bushido is realized in the presence of death. This means choosing death whenever there is a choice between life and death. There is no other reasoning." -- Tsunetomo Yamamoto, The Book of the Samurai

all those suicides in Japan are samurai taking their lives?

Australia's suicide rate has remain unchanged since their gun ban was enacted.

Try again, Lone Laugher.

We are discussing America. I don't think you are accurate in that statement though. Let me check for a minute.
I see. So using other countries as examples of what policies we should or should not enact is bad, eh?

Do you think Americans are dumber than Japanese or Australians and won't be able to figure out another way to kill themselves without a gun?

Guess that kills the argument that more civilized countries have fewer gun crimes

"I would like to commit suicide, but I can't get a gun. Gosh, I'm stumped! I guess I just won't be able to kill myself now."

But the easier it is to commit a suicide on impulse, the more likely it is a person will go through with it before they think it through.

Certainly I could rig my car to poison myself with carbon monoxide, but that would take some effort, and the process would be long and I would have lots of time to rethink my decision- with a gun- once the decision is made and trigger pulled boom.

And I don't say that as someone who says we should take guns away. Just rather obvious- more guns around- easier suicide is. Hell I was making that same argument for the people who were outraged that California legalized assisted suicide for terminal patients- since we have a legal right to own a gun- we can certainly use our legal gun to end our suffering.
Suicide is very rarely impulsive. It is long thought out and planned.

Australia's suicide rate has remained flat since they did their gun grab. People find other ways to do themselves in, as I have unequivocally shown in this topic.

Suicide is very rarely impulsive. It is long thought out and planned.

Australia's suicide rate has remained flat since they did their gun grab. People find other ways to do themselves in, as I have unequivocally shown in this topic.

That is not true. Suicide is often impulsive.

You have not shown anything in this thread. I have shown that "means matter". Here is the link again. Please don't pretend that you didn't see it.

Means matter: Suicide, guns, and public health | Suicide Prevention Resource Center (SPRC)

Japan suicide rate: 19.4 per 100,000

US suicide rate: 12.6 per 100,000

Guess which country has the strictest gun control.
You're citing the suicide rate in Japan... Ummm.. hello? :D

"Bushido is realized in the presence of death. This means choosing death whenever there is a choice between life and death. There is no other reasoning." -- Tsunetomo Yamamoto, The Book of the Samurai

all those suicides in Japan are samurai taking their lives?
Apparently you didn't get the joke, reboot and try again.

That's cute, he blames guns for suicides as though there aren't other methods. Do you think that if a person truly wanted to die, banning guns would stop them?

I point out the suicides by gun because the OP mentions the numbers of murders by gun.

The OP was deliberately dishonest- I understand that it upsets you that I provided accurate statistics.
Using a gun to commit suicide is still killing yourself, hardly the gun's fault. You blaming inanimate objects for deaths doesn't upset me, there are plenty of ignorant people in the world. If I got upset for every ignorant person, it wouldn't accomplish anything. The best I can do is correct you. You're welcome.

Using a gun to murder someone is still killing someone. It is hardly the gun's fault.

I notice that you have yet bothered to reply once to the actual OP- nor did you have a similar problem with the OP's claim about 'murders by gun".
It's a reference to the statistic, which is way too loose to start with. Not really the OP's fault for the statistic, since he was using a screenshot. I agree, referring to it that way is dumb, but that's how it's written in the screenshot.

Really? You don't think a person is responsible for starting the thread by posting a lie?

Really?

Meanwhile- you take the time to argue with me about the actual statistics I posted- but don't bother to do the same with OP- and the rather slanted statistics she posted.
If anything, 'murders by gun' actually creates a wider range, so it's not really slanted. Were it me, I'd have used something more easily defined. On the upside, it's a more reasonable statistic than "Gun-related deaths", especially given how part of that statistic is "Gun-related suicide", which is a useless factor.

Really?

If anything, 'murders by gun' actually creates a wider range, so it's not really slanted. Were it me, I'd have used something more easily defined. On the upside, it's a more reasonable statistic than "Gun-related deaths", especially given how part of that statistic is "Gun-related suicide", which is a useless factor.

LOL- and once again- you let the OP off-

So once again Really? You don't think a person is responsible for starting the thread by posting a lie?

Really?

Really?

LOL- and once again- you let the OP off-

So once again Really? You don't think a person is responsible for starting the thread by posting a lie?

Really?

It really isn't slanted, the factor you pointed out is useless.

One of my best friend's father died a couple of weeks ago. I saw him the day before. He looked fine. Chalk another one up to heart attack. The dude used to walk several miles a day as late as two years ago. Then out of nowhere a heart attack. Go figure. Who says exercise is good for you?

You ISIS sympathizers always "forget" to include the babies murdered in the United States since 1973:

Nearly 50 Million Abortions Have Been Performed in U.S. Since Roe v. Wade Decision Legalized Abortion

Of course to you ISIS supporters - they aren't "humans" they are nothing more than "Infidels"
I believe Randall has strong beliefs. I have one question. Can the unborn baby, or developing fetus feel pain? No one wants to inflict pain on others, right? Pain, torture. Burned by acid. Sucked out by a vacuum with blades, etc.

The population is already high, the world population is too high. Why do you want to increase the world population?

There's a big difference between an abortion and a murder.

An abortion happens to a developing fetus which can't talk, can't think, hasn't had an impact on the world. When an abortion happens sometimes there's a psychological effect on the mother, even less so on the father if he even knew about it.

When a murder happens it takes away a person who has developed complex relationships, it effects people's lives. It puts fear into communities and has a massive impact on many, many people.

Forum List

Back