Cigarette Tax’s Unintended Consequences That EVERYBODY Saw Coming – Except Libs

So we are supposed to feel bad for smokers? They can still smoke and they will. As long as I don't have to breathe in their smoke I could care less.

Feel bad?? Nonsense. I'm ANGRY that there aren't more of your type. Too many do-taxers out there.

Greg

I say raise the taxes on cigs even more. Beer too. Still need it that bad? Then pay.

I say raise the taxes on cigs even more. Beer too. Still need it that bad? Then pay.

Well what if we did the same thing with abortions? How about a $400.00 tax per abortion, and we can use that money to fund Planned Parenthood instead of the taxpayers funding it?

Were liberals the only ones who didn’t see this coming?

When New York raised their cigarette taxes to the highest in the nation – $4.35 per pack – not only did revenue decline by $1.3 billion, but organized crime and the smuggling of cigarettes across state lines is now rampant in the Empire State.

Over the last ten years, while state lawmakers raised the tobacco tax by190 percent, smokers switched to cheaper alternatives – like going to nearby Indian Reservations – quit smoking altogether or bought them on the rampant black market, The Daily Caller is reporting.

In fact, now 58 percent of all cigarettes are supplied from out-of-state and the number of packs bought at “full price” has dropped by 62 percent.

Snip

High cigarette taxes not only assist global crime networks but also have a disproportionate impact on the poor. According to the New York State Department of Health, low-income smokers, defined as individuals in households earning less than $30,000 a year, spent 23.6 percent of the annual household income on cigarettes in 2010-2011. That number is up from 11.6 percent in 2003-2004.

Read more: New York Loses $400 Million After Imposing The Nation’s Highest Cigarette Tax

Yep- another example that the war on drugs doesn't work because of the hidden hand of Capitalism.

Sure. I don't care bout the abortion issue since I have no skin in the game. Raise the tax on abortions too I could care less. Doent affect me. I don't smoke or need an abortion.

When New York raised their cigarette taxes to the highest in the nation – $4.35 per pack – not only did revenue decline by $1.3 billion, but organized crime and the smuggling of cigarettes across state lines is now rampant in the Empire State.

Over the last ten years, while state lawmakers raised the tobacco tax by190 percent, smokers switched to cheaper alternatives – like going to nearby Indian Reservations – quit smoking altogether or bought them on the rampant black market, The Daily Caller is reporting.

In fact, now 58 percent of all cigarettes are supplied from out-of-state and the number of packs bought at “full price” has dropped by 62 percent.

Snip

High cigarette taxes not only assist global crime networks but also have a disproportionate impact on the poor. According to the New York State Department of Health, low-income smokers, defined as individuals in households earning less than $30,000 a year, spent 23.6 percent of the annual household income on cigarettes in 2010-2011. That number is up from 11.6 percent in 2003-2004.

Read more: New York Loses $400 Million After Imposing The Nation’s Highest Cigarette Tax
Quit smoking altogether? And that's a bad thing? I wonder how much money was saved with less lung cancer?

Ohh but digs don't cause lung cancer. In fact they help keep cancer away. They help ones breathing. Sarcasm x 1000

Sure. I don't care bout the abortion issue since I have no skin in the game. Raise the tax on abortions too I could care less. Doent affect me. I don't smoke or need an abortion.

Maybe not, but what happens when liberals decide to tax something you are involved with in order to control you?

When they came for the Jewish, I sat quietly because I am not a Jew..................

Snip

Quit smoking altogether? And that's a bad thing? I wonder how much money was saved with less lung cancer?

If you bother to read this thread, it is A MYTH that stopping smoking saves money in health care.

Snip

If you bother to read this thread, it is A MYTH that stopping smoking saves money in health care.

If leftists were really concerned about "saving money on healthcare", they'd quit trying to take over everyone's healthcare.

Smoking and its health effects weigh heavily on the cost of healthcare. As does second hand second hand smoke.
I would bet that every single one of the posters who are whining about cigarette taxes and liberals sticking their noses in their business,are the same people who are whining about the cost of healthcare insurance. Hey geniuses, you can't have it both ways.
I didn't realize we had so many high school drop outs on this board.
As well, most of the people complaining about it are smokers. I used to smoke, but wanted to quit. When the price of cigarettes increased so much, that helped because I didn't want to pay that much for them. I think the high price of cigarettes is a great thing. It helps a lot of people to stop smoking.

I'd have thought one of the consequences of the cost of cigarettes would be to make them too expensive for all but the most dedicated addict, thus reducing the number of cases of lung cancer, emphysema, heart disease, etc., etc., etc. and the concomitant costs to society as a whole. :dunno:

So you would rather pay more in health care for a 100 million people living to a 100 years old?

That's another unintended consequence the OP and so far this thread didn't address.

Don't you remember that japaneese guy go on record saying old people of his country should just die because they are costing to much to Japan?
OMG! You are sick.

Smoking and its health effects weigh heavily on the cost of healthcare. As does second hand second hand smoke.
I would bet that every single one of the posters who are whining about cigarette taxes and liberals sticking their noses in their business,are the same people who are whining about the cost of healthcare insurance. Hey geniuses, you can't have it both ways.
As well, most of the people complaining about it are smokers. I used to smoke, but wanted to quit. When the price of cigarettes increased so much, that helped because I didn't want to pay that much for them. I think the high price of cigarettes is a great thing. It helps a lot of people to stop smoking.

I still smoke and I say it sucks!! Much worse here than in the US. Now I am glad that it assisted you but why slug me because you were price sensitive??

Greg

I still smoke and I say it sucks!! Much worse here than in the US. Now I am glad that it assisted you but why slug me because you were price sensitive??

Greg
Because your smoking will result in smoking related illnesses that the health care system has to pay for, making health care more expensive for everyone.

Greg
Because your smoking will result in smoking related illnesses that the health care system has to pay for, making health care more expensive for everyone.
If he has health insurance which he is now required by law to have then he is paying higher premiums because he smokes

As do all smokers

So your point is moot

Greg

Ma'am; with all due respect. I am an overweight nearly 60 who should have been dead at 20. Every day is precious to me. Whatever awaits me I will deal with it. I promise that you will not have to pay a cent. I live in Australia. In fact, your health service made a lot of money when my brother had melanoma. We sent him to the Mayo clinic for the best treatment in the world. He died. We paid. He was a non smoker and a non-sun lover. Forgive me for being a tad fatalistic.

Greg

Greg

Ma'am; with all due respect. I am an overweight nearly 60 who should have been dead at 20. Every day is precious to me. Whatever awaits me I will deal with it. I promise that you will not have to pay a cent. I live in Australia. In fact, your health service made a lot of money when my brother had melanoma. We sent him to the Mayo clinic for the best treatment in the world. He died. We paid. He was a non smoker and a non-sun lover. Forgive me for being a tad fatalistic.

Greg
That you live in Australia then negates everything you have to say about taxes on cigarettes in the US or elsewhere. Deal with the problem in your own country. In America, higher health care costs affect everyone. Smokers cause health care costs to increase. They should help pay for those costs by being taxed for cigarettes. Period. Your death wish has nothing whatsoever to do with the nations who want to curtail health costs due to smoking. No one should have to pay higher taxes because you apparently have a death wish or don't care when or how you die. At 60, these days, if you took care of yourself you could live another 30 healthy years, but you seem to be indifferent to that.

Forum List

Back