Cliches that Christians should stop using.

Czernobog

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2014
Corner of Chaos and Reason
I get that the people who say these things are trying to be kind, loving, and even humble. However, if you want to be kind, loving, and humble, then instead of spouting useless platitudes, maybe you should think about the words coming out of your mouth, and how those words might be perceived by others.

A few examples:

• "Have you heard of Jesus?"
    Really??? Seriously??? Does anyone honestly think that in the 21st century there is anyone, who has not spent their entire life living in a bomb shelter with absolutely no contact with the outside world, who has not heard of Jesus??? Really?

• "Everything happens for a reason."
    No it doesn't. I understand that this is a statement meant to give comfort to those who are suffering, and see no purpose to the madness, and chaos around them. But, think about the implications of that comment. Implied in this is a very specific understanding of how God interacts with the world. Specifically, it says God directs all things. So, mass murders? God had a reason for that senseless act of violence. Stubbing your toe on the door frame? I guess God wanted to smite your toe.

This statement denies the very existence of free will, and turns everyone into nothing more than chess pieces that God shuffles around on a playing field for no other purpose than his own amusement. Really? That's the God you want me to love? One who meddles in every aspect of my life, like a kid tipping an ant farm? This cliche is kind of tied to the next one.

• "God never gives us more than we can handle"
    Ever said that to someone who was considering suicide? Or, better yet, have you ever said that to someone who was left behind after a loved one committed suicide? No? Why not? Because it's just wrong, that's why! It’s wrong because factual circumstances of living prove that sometimes this life does bring with it more than we can handle, as evidenced by the fact that this person's loved one just committed suicide.

• "There, but for the grace of God, go I"
    Now, think about that for a second, and the implication of what that says about the person to whom you are referring.

Are they where they are because they lack the grace of God that others receive?

Does God pick and choose whom grace lands upon, intentionally withholding it from some people?

I know that people who say this don’t mean it that way, but that is what they are saying – even if indirectly. Feel free to be thankful for where you are but let’s stop heaping coals on other people’s shoulders – even if unintentionally.

• "Love the sinner, Hate the sin"
    This one has been really popular these days, particularly in light of all of the LGBT issues that have been cropping up. The problem I have with this one is the comma. It should be a period.

After further thought, I have a problem with the comma, everything that comes after it, and “the sinner.”

Who am I (and who are you) to be deciding for someone else what is getting between them and God? I’m all for doing it in regard to our own lives but in someone else’s life? Hands off. Who do we think we are? God? Which brings us to the next one, but we'll get to that in a sec.

The real problem I have with this one is that there’s not a period after love.

Love. Period.

• "It's our responsibility to judge"
    Says who?!?! This has been a popular defence among moralist bloggers of late. Apparently, it's cool to judge.

Well, I wanna be cool too, so I'm gonna judge them for trying to justify judging others. Don’t worry though – I’m loving the sinner, hating the sin when I do it. So, it’s OK. Right?

Oh, give me just a minute though. It turns out I’ve got a log in my eye. I’ll need to take care of that first. (If you're not certain of that reference, check your bible. I'm sure you can find one at any local church.)

• "There are no atheists in foxholes"
    Really? There are atheists in church and you honestly think there are no atheists in foxholes?!?!

Look, I get that the point is supposed to be that when faced with death we all turn to God. However, not only is that simply not true for everyone when faced with death, it is really bad logic.

Allow me to illustrate:.

When faced with death in a foxhole – grenades flying overhead and limbs being blown off the person next to me – I am likely to shit myself. It does not follow that I should always shit myself.

In foxholes there are a whole bunch of people trying to stay alive and they pretty much don’t care what the other person believes about God. They just want to stay alive… and probably not shit themselves.
Now, I'm sure, given time, there are a plethora of other stupid platitudes that moralistic religious types use to try to console, cajole, and justify why everyone should bow down the the same "Magic-Man-in-the-Sky" that they do. But, I think this is enough to get people thinking, and maybe start a conversation.

Stop using platitudes and start listening to you, sounds like a lose/lose situation.

I get that the people who say these things are trying to be kind, loving, and even humble. However, if you want to be kind, loving, and humble, then instead of spouting useless platitudes, maybe you should think about the words coming out of your mouth, and how those words might be perceived by others.

A few examples:

Really??? Seriously??? Does anyone honestly think that in the 21st century there is anyone, who has not spent their entire life living in a bomb shelter with absolutely no contact with the outside world, who has not heard of Jesus??? Really?

No it doesn't. I understand that this is a statement meant to give comfort to those who are suffering, and see no purpose to the madness, and chaos around them. But, think about the implications of that comment. Implied in this is a very specific understanding of how God interacts with the world. Specifically, it says God directs all things. So, mass murders? God had a reason for that senseless act of violence. Stubbing your toe on the door frame? I guess God wanted to smite your toe.

This statement denies the very existence of free will, and turns everyone into nothing more than chess pieces that God shuffles around on a playing field for no other purpose than his own amusement. Really? That's the God you want me to love? One who meddles in every aspect of my life, like a kid tipping an ant farm? This cliche is kind of tied to the next one.

Ever said that to someone who was considering suicide? Or, better yet, have you ever said that to someone who was left behind after a loved one committed suicide? No? Why not? Because it's just wrong, that's why! It’s wrong because factual circumstances of living prove that sometimes this life does bring with it more than we can handle, as evidenced by the fact that this person's loved one just committed suicide.

Now, think about that for a second, and the implication of what that says about the person to whom you are referring.

Does God pick and choose whom grace lands upon, intentionally withholding it from some people?

I know that people who say this don’t mean it that way, but that is what they are saying – even if indirectly. Feel free to be thankful for where you are but let’s stop heaping coals on other people’s shoulders – even if unintentionally.

This one has been really popular these days, particularly in light of all of the LGBT issues that have been cropping up. The problem I have with this one is the comma. It should be a period.

After further thought, I have a problem with the comma, everything that comes after it, and “the sinner.”

Who am I (and who are you) to be deciding for someone else what is getting between them and God? I’m all for doing it in regard to our own lives but in someone else’s life? Hands off. Who do we think we are? God? Which brings us to the next one, but we'll get to that in a sec.

Love. Period.

Says who?!?! This has been a popular defence among moralist bloggers of late. Apparently, it's cool to judge.

Well, I wanna be cool too, so I'm gonna judge them for trying to justify judging others. Don’t worry though – I’m loving the sinner, hating the sin when I do it. So, it’s OK. Right?

Oh, give me just a minute though. It turns out I’ve got a log in my eye. I’ll need to take care of that first. (If you're not certain of that reference, check your bible. I'm sure you can find one at any local church.)

Really? There are atheists in church and you honestly think there are no atheists in foxholes?!?!

Look, I get that the point is supposed to be that when faced with death we all turn to God. However, not only is that simply not true for everyone when faced with death, it is really bad logic.

When faced with death in a foxhole – grenades flying overhead and limbs being blown off the person next to me – I am likely to shit myself. It does not follow that I should always shit myself.

In foxholes there are a whole bunch of people trying to stay alive and they pretty much don’t care what the other person believes about God. They just want to stay alive… and probably not shit themselves.
Now, I'm sure, given time, there are a plethora of other stupid platitudes that moralistic religious types use to try to console, cajole, and justify why everyone should bow down the the same "Magic-Man-in-the-Sky" that they do. But, I think this is enough to get people thinking, and maybe start a conversation.

Some of what you say here may have some merit, but what is the larger point you are trying to make?

Are you saying that Christians should be silent about their faith because it may hurt feelings and feelings is more important than the truth?
Are you saying leave other people alone because it is none of our business or it really does not matter what we think or do?
Or are you just saying God is a myth so quit harping about it?
Have you noticed how the world is turning how society has become so narcissistic, depraved and ignorant? Half the nation is on anti-depressants because they are so lost and lonely.

A few examples:

Love. Period.

Why is it that everyone wants to tell Christians what they should do or not do? Here's one more busybody who seeks to impose his will and censure upon another segment of society. I have seen posts on here from fools attempting to dictate how Christians should spend their money, what charity functions they should engage in, what politics they should refrain from participating in, etc. Why not simply mind your own business if you actually have any business to mind and leave others alone?

A few examples:

Love. Period.

Some of what you say here may have some merit, but what is the larger point you are trying to make?

Are you saying that Christians should be silent about their faith because it may hurt feelings and feelings is more important than the truth?
Are you saying leave other people alone because it is none of our business or it really does not matter what we think or do?
Have you noticed how the world is turning how society has become so narcissistic, depraved and ignorant? Half the nation is on anti-depressants because they are so lost and lonely.
No. What I am saying is to take a minute, and think, before opening one's mouth. What I'm saying is that simplistic, sophomoric platitudes rarely make anyone feel better, and, quite often, make people feel worse. So, instead of trying to apply some proverbial band-aid, take the time to talk to the person, hear them, and engage with them.

And instead of trying to score intellectual points with things like "No atheists in foxholes", or pascale's Retarded Wager, try having honest, discourse with people.

Yes, we can judge behavior. We have not only the Bible, but thousands of years of recorded history on which to base our assessments. And if moral and ethical people don't condemn bad behavior, there is a real danger that it will become commonplace.

And more importantly, if it becomes a moral imperative not to be "judgmental," (as it is on the political Left), then everyone will suffer. For example, consider the words of the old Supremes' hit, "Love Child," which in essence lays out the case of why it is morally unacceptable to have bastard children; compare that with the current moral imperative not to "judge" single mothers, and witness what that lack of social shunning has done to the poor, mainly Black and Hispanic, communities in this country.

And as we get older, we come to realize that even "good" people occasionally do "bad" things, so we learn not to hate those who do bad things, while maintaining our "right" to condemn the bad behavior - e.g., a neighbor who leaves his wife and kids to marry his teenage secretary. Bad.

A few examples:

Love. Period.

I would never try to speak for the OP, but what I got was say what you want about your own faith, but making judgments about other's is none of your business.

A few examples:

Love. Period.

Why is it that everyone wants to tell Christians what they should do or not do? Here's one more busybody who seeks to impose his will and censure upon another segment of society. I have seen posts on here from fools attempting to dictate how Christians should spend their money, what charity functions they should engage in, what politics they should refrain from participating in, etc. Why not simply mind your own business if you actually have any business to mind and leave others alone?
I actually misnamed my thread, and I apologise. I shouldn't have called it "Cliches that Christians should stop using.". I should have called it "Cliches that moralists should stop using". There are a great number of Christians out there, who are thoughtful, and respectful, and truly kind. It is typically the moralists who tend to open their mouths before engaging the brain, and are more interested in scoring intellectual points over having honest conversation.

I apologise to all of the rational Christians out there for my poorly worded title.

Yes, we can judge behavior. We have not only the Bible, but thousands of years of recorded history on which to base our assessments. And if moral and ethical people don't condemn bad behavior, there is a real danger that it will become commonplace.

And more importantly, if it becomes a moral imperative not to be "judgmental," (as it is on the political Left), then everyone will suffer. For example, consider the words of the old Supremes' hit, "Love Child," which in essence lays out the case of why it is morally unacceptable to have bastard children; compare that with the current moral imperative not to "judge" single mothers, and witness what that lack of social shunning has done to the poor, mainly Black and Hispanic, communities in this country.

And as we get older, we come to realize that even "good" people occasionally do "bad" things, so we learn not to hate those who do bad things, while maintaining our "right" to condemn the bad behavior - e.g., a neighbor who leaves his wife and kids to marry his teenage secretary. Bad.
My how sanctimoniously self-righteous of you. You must tell us how you managed to achieve the moral perfection that makes you suitable to be the moral judge of anyone else.

A few examples:

Love. Period.

No. What I am saying is to take a minute, and think, before opening one's mouth. What I'm saying is that simplistic, sophomoric platitudes rarely make anyone feel better, and, quite often, make people feel worse. So, instead of trying to apply some proverbial band-aid, take the time to talk to the person, hear them, and engage with them.

And instead of trying to score intellectual points with things like "No atheists in foxholes", or pascale's Retarded Wager, try having honest, discourse with people.

no, you are either not saying much of anything --- because your advice is exactly what they are doing or trying to do.

or, you are saying to Christians if you cannot say the exactly proper thing for the moment (and who can ever be sure what that is) then keep you mouth closed and your God to yourself.

Either way, I do not really think your advice is all that fair. Yes, I agree, strong preaching and repeated preaching is an affront and not correct, but what you are implying is like a "don't you dare say a thing about it."

A few examples:

Love. Period.

I would never try to speak for the OP, but what I got was say what you want about your own faith, but making judgments about other's is none of your business.
Among other things, yes. :)

A few examples:

Love. Period.

I am not sure what "making judgments" means, because it can mean a wide variation or degree of opinions.

Christians should never judge the worth of a soul or assign punishments, that much is clear. But to try to console another by bringing up God is not a judgment in many or most cases, IMO.

If someone wants to nitpick the misgivings of Christians they will find a million things to point to. But if they think Christianity is a menace to society because of various missteps or failings, they are blind. IMO

You should take your own advice. Asking a bunch of loaded questions, and then answering them yourself isn't honest discourse; most Christians I know never say that stuff, for one, and while it's true many Christians are not scholars that is even more the case with those playing 'atheist intellectuals' trolling the religion forums constantly with mindless idiotic BS they read from some crank site like infidels.org looking for confirmation bias.

A few examples:

Love. Period.

no, you are either not saying much of anything --- because your advice is exactly what they are doing or trying to do.

or, you are saying to Christians if you cannot say the exactly proper thing for the moment (and who can ever be sure what that is) then keep you mouth closed and your God to yourself.

Either way, I do not really think your advice is all that fair. Yes, I agree, strong preaching and repeated preaching is an affront and not correct, but what you are implying is like a "don't you dare say a thing about it."
No it's not. Take the "Have you heard of Jesus" bit. Does that really strike you as a reasonable, rational, logical question in the 21st century? I mean, do you honestly believe that there is anyone that you are going to "witness" to that has never, once, in their lives heard pretty much all of the things you are going to say to them? If not, then to what purpose, other than being annoying, and self-righteous, are you wasting time telling someone something they have already heard - repeatedly, likely - and already know?

Instead, how about you tell them about your life. Don't hammer them with "Well God did this for me..." Just talk to them. Let your life, and your attitude be your "Witness". Do you really think God needs another town crier, shouting out the news that he exists? Ya don't think that narrative has already been pretty well spread?

Last edited:

A few examples:

Love. Period.

I am not sure what "making judgments" means, because it can mean a wide variation or degree of opinions.

Christians should never judge the worth of a soul or assign punishments, that much is clear. But to try to console another by bringing up God is not a judgment in many or most cases, IMO.

If someone wants to nitpick the misgivings of Christians they will find a million things to point to. But if they think Christianity is a menace to society because of various missteps or failings, they are blind. IMO
It depends on how you do it. There are ways of talking about God without sounding like some cheap Hallmark card, or a fortune cookie strip, don't you think?

You should take your own advice. Asking a bunch of loaded questions, and then answering them yourself isn't honest discourse; most Christians I know never say that stuff, for one, and while it's true many Christians are not scholars that is even more the case with those playing 'atheist intellectuals' trolling the religion forums constantly with mindless idiotic BS they read from some crank site like infidels.org looking for confirmation bias.
Really?!?! You have never known a Christian to say "Well, God never gives us more than we can handle," Really?!?! "Or, "There, but for the grace of God, go I"? Not once? Really?!?!? You'll forgive me if I'm gonna call bullshit on that...

A few examples:

Love. Period.

Because they're neo-fascist vermin who want to suppress Christians ans any other speech or they don't like and makes their mindless self-indulgence look ridiculous and juvenile.

Forum List

Back