Colorado Sheriffs Threaten Not To Enforce Their Own State’s Gun Laws

The legislators who passed these new gun laws were duly elected by the citizens of Colorado. Therefore, if the Governor signs them into law, any sheriff who refuses to enforce the new laws should be arrested and tried accordingly. I'm sure the Colorado Constitution doesn't allow a sheriff to pick and choose which laws to enforce.

Any law that is unconstitutional should be ignored by everyone, especially police.

The legislators who passed these new gun laws were duly elected by the citizens of Colorado. Therefore, if the Governor signs them into law, any sheriff who refuses to enforce the new laws should be arrested and tried accordingly. I'm sure the Colorado Constitution doesn't allow a sheriff to pick and choose which laws to enforce.

the sheriff has given his oath to defend the Constitution and the people of the county

above all else

What oath did the state legislators take? State legislators trump county sheriffs.

Any state legislator that wants the laws enforced is free to go out and do it himself. If they are not willing to do that they don't trump anyone.

Any law that is unconstitutional should be ignored by everyone, especially police.

you can not count on the police

but certainly the sheriff

the sheriff is the law of the land

if you have not you should find out where

your sheriff stands on the issue

the sheriff has given his oath to defend the Constitution and the people of the county

above all else

What oath did the state legislators take? State legislators trump county sheriffs.

Any state legislator that wants the laws enforced is free to go out and do it himself. If they are not willing to do that they don't trump anyone.

the law is going to be challenged in court

as worded it bans all magazines

any magazine that "can be" modified would be illegal

OH BOY! Another unbiased piece of crap.

Glad to see there are some Oath Keepers with some backbone.

Care to explain your dismissiveness with some facts?

Just a simple read of the think progress article with its far left slant. I consider that a dead give away for a less than factual piece of crap. The Greeley article was more objective and didn't try to tell the reader what they should think about the situation. The fact is Colorado passed some unenforceable laws that will do nothing to improve gun safety and their law enforcement officers are voicing that fact, demonstrates how out of touch the dems are.

How do you enforce a background check on a weapon when you have no idea where it is or when or if it has been transferred to a new owner? While your at it how does this effect criminals, do you really think they will follow these ridiculous laws?

Sheriffs are sworn to support and defend the Constitution and believe it or not, some take that oath very seriously. Many sheriffs across the country have said they will refuse to enforce any law that they deem unconstitutional and I for one applaud them for it. I assure you that these Oath Keepers are not just limited to sheriffs offices.

Now feel free to come up with your usual wingnut crap, but keep in mind these people are looking out for your rights as well.

Maybe these maverick sheriffs are indicative of why "current" gun laws aren't being properly enforced - let alone "new" gun laws. Sheriffs enforce laws - they don't make them. Sheriffs don't have the legal right to pick and choose which laws they enforce.

Any sheriff who refuses to enforce the law is no better than a homegrown terrorist - maybe worse. Are sheriffs now the law of the land?

Maybe these maverick sheriffs are indicative of why "current" gun laws aren't being properly enforced - let alone "new" gun laws. Sheriffs enforce laws - they don't make them. Sheriffs don't have the legal right to pick and choose which laws they enforce.

Really, why should they be any different than your dear leader? Federal gun prosecutions are down about 40% and someone who falsifies a background check has a less than 1% chance of being prosecuted. You can't complain about selective enforcement on one end and not the other. After all a sheriffs department have to prioritize how they use their resources also.

Really, why should they be any different than your dear leader? Federal gun prosecutions are down about 40% and someone who falsifies a background check has a less than 1% chance of being prosecuted. You can't complain about selective enforcement on one end and not the other. After all a sheriffs department have to prioritize how they use their resources also.

We're only talking about "one end" in this thread - the sheriff end. If you wish to address the "other end" - start a thread on it.

The sheriffs were duly elected to.

And when the wicked rule, the prison is the place where the righteous dwell.

Stop supporting evil laws and good people wont go to jail protesting them.

It's up to the citizens of the respective counties whether they want maverick sheriffs or not. I also suspect state authorities have some say in the matter.

The State police are charged with enforcing state law. I am not sure that the Sheriffs ,as elected county officials, can be compelled to enforce state law. As long as they don't break the law or aid or abet those who do, I don't see what can be done to them.

The governor and legislative bodies can pay havoc with counties who refuse to cooperate though.
There may be financial or political consequences including surprise tactics such as tax audits on top county officials, including the Sheriffs!

How about Obama? Should he be arrested and tried for not enforcing the laws passed by the duly elected members of Congress?

Does the U.S. Constitution allow the President to pick and choose which laws to enforce?

It's up to the citizens of the respective counties whether they want maverick sheriffs or not. I also suspect state authorities have some say in the matter.

And what about marverick legislators?

If Obama can pick and choose which laws he's going to enforce, then why not a local sheriff?

Forum List

Back