Confederate Flag vs. Ground Zero Mosque?

Um...no.

What does that have to do with anything?

Research do some research. The supreme court told President Johnson that he did not have theauthority to try anyone for treason.

No they didn't. Did you read your own link?

His release came after a finding by the Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court, Salmon P. Chase, that there was nothing in the U.S. Constitution that prohibited the secession of states. If secession was not illegal, neither Davis nor any other Confederate leaders could be guilty of treason

I've heard people decry the Confederate flag flying on statehouse grounds in SC, saying that it is insensitive.

I've also heard people decry the would be Ground Zero mosque, also saying it is insensitive.

Not surprisingly, there is very little overlap among the two groups doing the decrying.

What I'd like to have explained, by anyone taking any side, is why one is indeed insensitive while the other is not.

note: Thread inspired by Ravi's self-pwnage in another thread.

I find both to be insensitive for different reasons.

The rebel flag due to its historical imagry as the symbol of states that wanted slavery
The Ground Zero mosque due to the historical implications of its name and its proximity to "sacred ground".

However, I do recognize that both people who want to fly that flag and the ground zero mosque have the right to fly the flag and build the mosque under the first ammendment.

:clap2:

The voice of sanity in an otherwise insane and emotionally charged discussion. :thup:

I thought I got lost in the shuffle, lol.

I find both to be insensitive for different reasons.

The rebel flag due to its historical imagry as the symbol of states that wanted slavery
The Ground Zero mosque due to the historical implications of its name and its proximity to "sacred ground".

However, I do recognize that both people who want to fly that flag and the ground zero mosque have the right to fly the flag and build the mosque under the first ammendment.

:clap2:

The voice of sanity in an otherwise insane and emotionally charged discussion. :thup:

I thought I got lost in the shuffle, lol.

No you weren't lost, I even responded to your reply.

I've heard people decry the Confederate flag flying on statehouse grounds in SC, saying that it is insensitive.

I've also heard people decry the would be Ground Zero mosque, also saying it is insensitive.

Not surprisingly, there is very little overlap among the two groups doing the decrying.

What I'd like to have explained, by anyone taking any side, is why one is indeed insensitive while the other is not.

Well...I'm not taking a side but the "ground zero mosque" is a dishonest fabrication as I understand it.
It is neither a mosque, nor is it at 'ground zero'.
So the issue of sensitivity doesn't come into the conversation.

Well...I'm not taking a side but the "ground zero mosque" is a dishonest fabrication as I understand it.
It is neither a mosque, nor is it at 'ground zero'.
So the issue of sensitivity doesn't come into the conversation.

It's not a mosque? True since they started calling it community center with a place to pray. Sure it's not a mosque. And a pig is not a pig when you dress it up like a human.

Blood letting?

Of American countrymen?

That's nauseating. The country had been through years of bloodletting. The South surrendered.

But it's nice to see what you think of your fellow citizens.

What was "disgusting" was starting the war in the first place as a method to insure the "right" to enslave fellow Americans.

That was disgusting. And what's further disgusting is holding the "rebels" that went to war over this..in high regard. And further disgusting still, is talk of secession, today.

So..there's enough disgust to go around. Especially toward those "fellow citizens" that think it's just hunky dory to advocate violence as a remedy to political differences.

I'm going to have to adamantly disagree with you. Given the chance I balkanize this nation to the fullest extent possible. As a southernor I have absolutely nothing whatsoever in common with people in the northeast for example. I'm sure for any native southernor that is equally true to some degree.

Blood letting?

Of American countrymen?

That's nauseating. The country had been through years of bloodletting. The South surrendered.

What was "disgusting" was starting the war in the first place as a method to insure the "right" to enslave fellow Americans.

That was disgusting. And what's further disgusting is holding the "rebels" that went to war over this..in high regard. And further disgusting still, is talk of secession, today.

So..there's enough disgust to go around. Especially toward those "fellow citizens" that think it's just hunky dory to advocate violence as a remedy to political differences.

I'm going to have to adamantly disagree with you. Given the chance I balkanize this nation to the fullest extent possible. As a southernor I have absolutely nothing whatsoever in common with people in the northeast for example. I'm sure for any native southernor that is equally true to some degree.

Thankfully the founders of this country did not think as Sallow thinks
fellow citizens" that think it's just hunky dory to advocate violence as a remedy to political differences.

It took violence to create this country.

Blood letting?

Of American countrymen?

So you are admitting that you hate the United States and want it turned into regional states?

Well, at least you're beinging honest with us.

Before 1865 there was nothing in the Constitution that forbid a state from leaving the union. And there are 4 states in America that have it written into thier state constitution, That was one of their stipulation for entering into the union.

the states agreed to form a union... when the Constitution was ratified by the peoples of each state, and NOT by each state government, the Constitution was understood to be ratified by the people as a national identity.

the state governments did NOT ratify the US Constitution...the people did. The Framers specifically bypassed the state governments...it was an up or down vote for each population of each state

OK since the states did not ratify the Constitution then the people can leave the union and take their proprety with them, their proprety being their state. Thanks I am glad we clearified that.
The people voted as Virginians or New Yorkers to become a national identity as Americans. Virginians and New Yorkers were afterwards always a state idenity with a subservience to a national identity...Americans.

Forming a more perfect Union meant giving up the idiocies of the Article of Confederation.

now eat shit fuck face

I imagine a lot of people fly the rebel flag as a sort of rah rah our team football mentality.

That doesn't detract from the fact that it symbolizes treachery and failure.

Sure they do, but most all who fly the Confederate Flag have no connection to the Confederacy of Old.

We all know it's a coded racist bullshit symbol.

The filthy inhabitants of New York City which I largely despise, threw a FIT when the Arkansas state flag was hoisted there during the the Clintoon Administration because it was a "confederate state". Fast forward more than a decade and the leftists commie loving bastards in NYC didn't utter a word when the filthy PLA lit up the empire state building commie red. Anything that makes that city of traiterous cowards angry is good enough for me, mosque or not. You yellow cowards will have your stupid mosque and you'll like it, whine about it, just like you whine about 9-11 ad nauseum. Very boring. We're so sick of your stupid victim syndrome. Couldn't have happened to a better city.

none of us are Muslims, stupid, yellow, or cowards...unlike internet blowhards like you :lol:

fact: you are wrong

President Bush and Mayor Rudy would disagree with you...and have.

next

facts can suck...

Yes they do

After the 9/11 tragedy, Arab-Muslim media were reporting the success of bin Laden against the Kafirs in America. This same media, along with some Western media, spread rumors that the tragedy was planned and achieved through an inside job done by the FBI. Meanwhile, in this same timeframe, President Bush took a prompt from his Saudi Arabian associates and, based upon abrogated verses from Qur'an, declared Islam a religion of peace!

Exposing Liberal Lies: Growing Up Under the Islamic Agenda

The Cordoba Initiative,ASMA's Radical Islamist Agenda and the 9/11 Mosque
The Cordoba Initiative,ASMA's Radical Islamist Agenda and the 9/11 Mosque - Militant Islam Monitor - Militant Islam Monitor

you need to get ff the internet(s) and seek professional medical care

I imagine a lot of people fly the rebel flag as a sort of rah rah our team football mentality.

That doesn't detract from the fact that it symbolizes treachery and failure.

Sure they do, but most all who fly the Confederate Flag have no connection to the Confederacy of Old.

We all know it's a coded racist bullshit symbol.

Just exactly when did the Confederate Battle flag become a symbol of racism?
Would you say this image was a symbol of racism? When did any racist group start using it?
kkk-parade.jpg

facts can suck...

Yes they do

After the 9/11 tragedy, Arab-Muslim media were reporting the success of bin Laden against the Kafirs in America. This same media, along with some Western media, spread rumors that the tragedy was planned and achieved through an inside job done by the FBI. Meanwhile, in this same timeframe, President Bush took a prompt from his Saudi Arabian associates and, based upon abrogated verses from Qur'an, declared Islam a religion of peace!

Exposing Liberal Lies: Growing Up Under the Islamic Agenda

The Cordoba Initiative,ASMA's Radical Islamist Agenda and the 9/11 Mosque
The Cordoba Initiative,ASMA's Radical Islamist Agenda and the 9/11 Mosque - Militant Islam Monitor - Militant Islam Monitor

you need to get ff the internet(s) and seek professional medical care

Maybe you should step away from the assholes of higher up democrats the fumes is not helping you think correctly.

Blood letting?

Of American countrymen?

You don't have that choice. The southern states..well that land..belongs to the United States of America.

You..do have a choice to leave. No one is stopping you.

the states agreed to form a union... when the Constitution was ratified by the peoples of each state, and NOT by each state government, the Constitution was understood to be ratified by the people as a national identity.

the state governments did NOT ratify the US Constitution...the people did. The Framers specifically bypassed the state governments...it was an up or down vote for each population of each state

OK since the states did not ratify the Constitution then the people can leave the union and take their proprety with them, their proprety being their state. Thanks I am glad we clearified that.
The people voted as Virginians or New Yorkers to become a national identity as Americans. Virginians and New Yorkers were afterwards always a state idenity with a subservience to a national identity...Americans.

Forming a more perfect Union meant giving up the idiocies of the Article of Confederation.

now eat shit fuck face

Wrong the people within a state knew themself or identified themself as what ever state they lived in. You need to stop thinking 21st century and talking about 19th century people.

You don't have that choice. The southern states..well that land..belongs to the United States of America.

Back for more I see? The states belonged to the states it did not belong to the federal government. The only proprety the feads own was the terrotries.

Back for more I see? The states belonged to the states it did not belong to the federal government. The only proprety the feads own was the terrotries.

This is why I constantly say..Sherman didn't go far enough.

The south should have been completely crushed after the war. The Romans knew how to do this. They lined the roads with the bodies of the vanquished.

It's to bad..that the North gave into humantarian concerns.

Forum List

Back