Corporation vs Government: Who Do You Trust?

I noticed that one poster thinks that higher thinking skills, which requires an impartial look at all sides of an issue, somehow are unAmerican.

Last edited:
There is no false premise.
Please spell out what is wrong with child labor.
If you can't make an argument at least say you don't know or can't and we can go from there.

It's a false premise to claim that most American children face hard work on a farm if they aren't put to work otherwise. It's laughable, in fact.

Maybe the most children (as in out of all the children in the country) part isn't accurate, but knowing quite a few people with family run farms I can tell that of the farms that do exist, if they have children, they are working on the farm

So do you support this Rabbi notion that there's nothing wrong with child labor? Would you like America to return to days of 9 year olds working in factories and mines?

It's a false premise to claim that most American children face hard work on a farm if they aren't put to work otherwise. It's laughable, in fact.

Maybe the most children (as in out of all the children in the country) part isn't accurate, but knowing quite a few people with family run farms I can tell that of the farms that do exist, if they have children, they are working on the farm

So do you support this Rabbi notion that there's nothing wrong with child labor? Would you like America to return to days of 9 year olds working in factories and mines?

You also support child labor. You have never given an argument why it is bad. Thus you must support it too.

The picture is what, 100 years old? WHat was the alternative for those children?

The alternative is what we have now, thanks to the GOVERNMENT.

Isn't that Boedicca (left front) and The Rabbi (right front) in the children's picture? Well, I am sure they are happy that corporatism is giving them opportunity for training at such a young age. :lol:

The scene of a picture of the products of a Rabbi and Boedicca mating wouldn't be a factory; it would be a carnival.

You also support child labor. You have never given an argument why it is bad. Thus you must support it too.

If I support the laws against it, how I could I support it? That's idiocy.

If I support the laws against it, how I could I support it? That's idiocy.

So you're suggesting you're an idiot because you support two contradictory things? I Agree!

That wasn't even the claim. But NYAsshole is exhibiting his typical 3rd grade reading skills and can't even get that right.
He and Jake could screw up a wet dream.

Maybe you should go back and examine your writing skills, and then transport yourself back to grade school where they taught you the different tenses of verbs.

Oh I forgot. You were were working in a mine during those years of your life, so we have to excuse your lack of a proper education.

Apparently in Rabbi's mythical world of 1900, all those children in America's urban slums who were working in factories and sweatshops were only doing so to get out of farmwork.

lol

Apparently in Rabbi's mythical world of 1900, all those children in America's urban slums who were working in factories and sweatshops were only doing so to get out of farmwork.

lol

Leaving aside your inability to articulate any argument whatsoever against child labor, what do you suppose their alternatives actually were? Hanging around malls?

Son, the bizarre does not defend your wierdness any better than what you were doing before.

You are suggesting child labor was a good thing in the factories, and that government regulation to stop it and send owners/managers to jail for doing it was a bad thing.

Is that what you are saying? You are a psychotalker.

I never said any of that. That was my first comment on the child labor aspect of the discussion. I am fairly certain it doesn't need any clarification.

As for you I am still waiting for you to tell me how corporations compensating people above what is required by law is just an opinion.

Then you are suggesting it, your question is not relevant other than in part government makes corporations more responsible to its workers and customers and society, and most of your responses will descend into babbletalk.

No. Your argument was that corportation will treat people as poorly as possible.

The FACT is as poorly as possible would be all businesses paying minumum wage and providing the minimum in benefits.

The FACT is plenty of businesses compensate employees well above and beyond what the law requires them to.

That is the EVIDENCE which renders your opinion invalid.

Last edited:

I guess the whole concept of child labor being bad is a concept I can't wrap my head around. First of all child labor is pretty vague. Is there honestly anyone here who didn't do some type of work for a few bucks when they were kids? What are we considering a child? I'm pretty sure you can get a job at McDonalds when you'r 16. Is that 'child labor' and thus should be banned as well?

There are only a couple of scenarios where I can come up with child labor being morally wrong. 1) In a case where it is slavery and the child simply doesn't have a choice and a corporation is gathering children in the street, holding them hostage, and making them work for them. That scenrio doesn't seem very realstic. 2) A parent is requiring their child to work which is depriving the child of an education. That's a more likely scenario, especially further back in history. But it begs the question, why does the law target the corporation as the party engaging in illegal activity? Why does it not target the parents?

Last edited:
Since corperations have no power other than to offer me a product or a service which I have the freedom purchase or not, I don't feel I have anything to fear from them. But the idea of government taking over private industry does scare me for many reasons. For now I'll just point out that it would severely limit the number of choices I'd have available to me, and that if there were something that I desparately needed, I'd basically have to accept whatever it is they're offering.

The evidence, bern80, is that you keep trying to reframe what I write, which is dishonorable and will always be a fail.

I said government needs to regulate businesses because terrible inequities happen when they don't. Like human outlaws, there are business outlaws, and they have to be controlled.

That some businesses do right does not mean that business should not be regulated, the same as that some humans are honorable does not mean that humans should not be bound by law.

You have failed in this discussion a long time ago, and that is so obvious.

∑₭o Đ∆Żə;2755129 said:
Since corperations have no power other than to offer me a product or a service which I have the freedom purchase or not, I don't feel I have anything to fear from them. But the idea of government taking over private industry does scare me for many reasons. For now I'll just point out that it would severely limit the number of choices I'd have available to me, and that if there were something that I desparately needed, I'd basically have to accept whatever it is they're offering.

That is what corporations do when they get a chance.

The health care insurance industry is in a pickle because it got greedy and screwed the American people, and bought off Congress while doing it.

There are reasons the depressions 1893 and 1929 and 2010 were preceded by little or no regulation of business.

The health care insurance industry is in a pickle because it got greedy and screwed the American people, and bought off Congress while doing it.

There are reasons the depressions 1893 and 1929 and 2010 were preceded by little or no regulation of business.

Exactly, corporations do look to exploit the system and if I were in their shoes I probably would too. But if that wasn't the case then why do corporations go out and hire lobbyists? Hmm....they're not fooling anybody. They want to exploit to make more money unless you are an idiot and refuse to believe that.

That is exactly why regulation is necessary. Government should listen to the people, not corporate lobbyists.

Random fact:

The Constitution was written in a language that a 10 year old in the late 18th century could understand (which is the equivalent of a 24 year old undergrad graduate today).

∑₭o Đ∆Żə;2755129 said:

All true. The only thing you left out is how the safe regulations that had been in place for many decades prior to the problems occuring were mysteriously removed with little or no explanation as to why -- and no real oppostition to it either. This would suggest a calculated maneuver to bring about the very results that we've seen in both cases. In the Depression era, it was used as the rationale for the New Deal, and the Recovery Act, which some claim was even more damaging to freedom. In today's situation, it's been used as the rationale for government seizure and control of our financial and medical institutions, as well as the industrial sector.

I find it odd and suspicious that no one had the idea to simply reinstate the safe lending practices and regulations that worked so well for so many years...

Last edited:
∑₭o Đ∆Żə;2756553 said:
All true. The only thing you left out is how the safe regulations that had been in place for many decades prior to the problems occuring were mysteriously removed with little or no explanation as to why -- and no real oppostition to it either. this would suggest a calculated maneuver to bring about the very results that we've seen in both cases. In the Depression era, it was used as the rationale for the New Deal, and the Recovery Act (which some claim was even more damaging to freedom). In today's situation, it's been the used as the rationale for government seizure and control of our financial and medical institutions, as well as the industrial sector.

I find it odd and suspicious that no one had the idea to simply reinstate the safe lending practices and regulations that worked so well for so many years...

Are you suggesting some kind of huge Democratic conspiracy or something. :lol:

∑₭o Đ∆Żə;2756553 said:
All true. The only thing you left out is how the safe regulations that had been in place for many decades prior to the problems occuring were mysteriously removed with little or no explanation as to why -- and no real oppostition to it either. this would suggest a calculated maneuver to bring about the very results that we've seen in both cases. In the Depression era, it was used as the rationale for the New Deal, and the Recovery Act (which some claim was even more damaging to freedom). In today's situation, it's been the used as the rationale for government seizure and control of our financial and medical institutions, as well as the industrial sector.

Are you suggesting some kind of huge Democratic conspiracy or something. :lol:

All communist revolutions began with conspiracies -- people in postion in places of power at the right times. Are you saying that it couldn't happen here?

All fascist revolutions begin with the alliance of revolutionary groups collaborating with corporationists.

I am beginning to hear rhetoric on the right as loony today as it was in pre-Nazi Germany.

For example, with unemployment at 9.6%, almost 32% of Republicans believe BHO is a Muslim. If unemployment was 4%, the 32% would probably be 5%. I agree with General Powell, quoted on TV today.

Forum List

Back