Could we claim illegal discrimination at a gay bar?

I've never heard of a gay bar refusing someone in because of their sexual orientation. Gay bars get a lot of straight people in their bars.
That may be true, or not, but isn't the point. It's a hypothetical question given recent rulings. Should they be allowed to refuse a man/woman couple?

In some states they could, in some they could not...based on sexual orientation. If the couple claimed the discrimination was based on, say their religion....it would be illegal in all 50.
Yes, I know it's not a constitutional matter, hense the addition to local PA laws. We've discussed that.

It is flat out illegal for a bar to refuse service to a heterosexual couple. What is on more shaky legal ground, however, are ladies nights. Once can make the argument that differential pricing on the basis of gender is illegal.

That depends entirely upon local law.

In Florida a bar could refuse service to gays or straights.

In Oregon a bar would be prevented by law for refusing service to either based upon their sexual orientation.

I think the whole ladies night thing has gone to courts before, but I can't remember the outcome.
Based on recent SC decisions, any right to refuse service to gay couples is gone. It would take only one court case to get it shot down.

There haven't been any SCOTUS cases on PA laws that protect gays. The SCOTUS refused to hear the Elaine Photography case leaving the lower court ruling in place. (Which was that discrimination occurred)
You do remember the hoopla around the baker that didn't want to be dragged into a gay wedding, right? If you offer a service to the public, and deny that service to homosexual couples, you will not be able to do so for very much longer.

Could I sue for damages a gay bar that refused to let heterosexuals in? We already are Suing bakeries who won't bake cakes for someone.

Yes, you could. If you are illegally discriminated against, you can sue.

Let me know when you've found a gay bar that wouldn't let you in.

If you wear a god hates fags t-shirt into a gay bar...they have every right to throw you out. If a homo wears a fags hate god t-shirt into a church , they have every right to throw him out.

That is discrimination! Public facilities must accomadate everyone or does that right only exist for HOMOS,!

Public facilities do not have to accommodate everyone, they just can't discriminate due to race, religion, gender or sexual identity.

Another nutbag has done it again! The depth of thought is amazing with this group. What a conundrum! I expect all gay people to immediately contact their representatives and insist that same sex marriage be outlawed again!

If the law protects you from discrimination based on your sexual orientation, it protects you as a heterosexual. Heterosexuality is a sexual orientation.

I've never heard of a gay bar refusing someone in because of their sexual orientation. Gay bars get a lot of straight people in their bars.
That may be true, or not, but isn't the point. It's a hypothetical question given recent rulings. Should they be allowed to refuse a man/woman couple?
Why would they?
Why wouldn't homosexuals get their cake where is was welcomed business? I can't answer for either scenario.

Do you declare your sexuality everywhere you shop? That must make for some interesting conversations.

It is flat out illegal for a bar to refuse service to a heterosexual couple. What is on more shaky legal ground, however, are ladies nights. Once can make the argument that differential pricing on the basis of gender is illegal.

In Oregon a bar would be prevented by law for refusing service to either based upon their sexual orientation.

I think the whole ladies night thing has gone to courts before, but I can't remember the outcome.
Based on recent SC decisions, any right to refuse service to gay couples is gone. It would take only one court case to get it shot down.

No.....frankly that is just ignorant.

In some states they could, in some they could not...based on sexual orientation. If the couple claimed the discrimination was based on, say their religion....it would be illegal in all 50.
Yes, I know it's not a constitutional matter, hense the addition to local PA laws. We've discussed that.

I didn't say that. PA laws have been found to be constitutional. The SCOTUS had a chance to rule on the "gay" ones. They declined.

There haven't been any SCOTUS cases on PA laws that protect gays. The SCOTUS refused to hear the Elaine Photography case leaving the lower court ruling in place. (Which was that discrimination occurred)
You do remember the hoopla around the baker that didn't want to be dragged into a gay wedding, right? If you offer a service to the public, and deny that service to homosexual couples, you will not be able to do so for very much longer.

Yes, I'm well aware. Public Accommodation laws that protect gays have not gone before the Supreme Court of the United States.

Could I sue for damages a gay bar that refused to let heterosexuals in? We already are Suing bakeries who won't bake cakes for someone.
I've never known a gay bar refuse to allow straights in....do you have a valid example?

I suppose you could since service can't be refused for any reason.

Actually, service can be refused for any reason at all other than those specifically described in that state's public accommodation laws.

Actually, service can be refused for any reason at all other than those specifically described in that state's public accommodation laws.
:lol:

No, a leftist will cry and the left will come to the defense.

There are no property rights anymore

It's amazing how you guys think just making up bullshit hypotheticals is a legitimate argument.

It's amazing how you guys think just making up bullshit hypotheticals is a legitimate argument.
until last year if someone didn't want to provide a service for any reason they could.

now their accounts get seized

not hypothetical at all, since it now happens.

People live in fear of offending some leftist thanks to people like you.

until last year if someone didn't want to provide a service for any reason they could.

No, public accommodation laws didn't appear out of nowhere last year. They've existed for decades, and countless businesses around the country have been fined for racial or religious discrimination under those same laws, and long before "last year".

Heart of Atlanta Motel, Inc. v. United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only difference is that in this case, you agree with the discrimination.

You are so wrong it makes my head ache.

No, public accommodation laws didn't appear out of nowhere last year. They've existed for decades, and countless businesses around the country have been fined for racial or religious discrimination under those same laws, and long before "last year".

Heart of Atlanta Motel, Inc. v. United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only difference is that in this case, you agree with the discrimination.
I support property rights of the owners, you don't.

You support forced coexistence.

Forum List

Back