Democrats reject chance to avoid sequester

His sequester? Once again, the spending cuts are what the Republicans wanted.

Once again, the sequester was Obama's idea.

Not in any substantive way. He brought it up first as a mechanism, but that was due to the Republican demand for cuts in return for not defaulting on the national debt. The analogy I made earlier in this thread (may have been in one of the other sequester threads) still holds. If you give someone who is about to be killed the option of being shot or stabbed, it would be really bizarre to say they chose to be killed because they chose the implement used to do it.

You seem confused. First you say it was his idea, then you say it wasn't, then you go off into an absurd discussion about getting shot or stabbed. Come back when you are sober.

Last edited:
The problem is that none of that is true.

Obama proposed the sequester in order to force a deal on spending cuts that included both defense and social programs that made more sense. Now he is taking the position that any cuts to social programs is totally unacceptable.

He owns the sequester, and the results, good or bad.

That would be a great story, if only it were true. The reality is that the Republicans demanded budget cuts in exchange for not defaulting on the national debt.

No, they demanded budget cuts in exchange for the power to borrow more money. There would have been no default on the national debt if we had not borrowed more money because the government actually takes in more than enough money to pay the bills it has already run up.

Feel free to keep rewriting history though, I know it makes you feel smart.

Just remember, it is the Republicans fault, Obama said so.

The U.S. Senate failed to pass both Republican and Democratic alternatives to head off across-the-board spending cuts, nearly guaranteeing Washington will blow past a Friday deadline to avoid or replace $85 billion in cuts that threaten economic growth, military readiness and jobs.The Democratic alternative would have replaced the cuts, known as the sequester, with a combination of a minimum 30% tax on millionaires and cuts to defense and farm programs. It failed 51-49.
"I really believe that the American people deserve better than what the Republicans in this building believe is the right thing," said Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev.
The Republican alternative would have transferred sweeping authority to President Obama to force him to determine how to implement $85 billion in cuts instead of the across-the-board spending cut affecting most reaches of the federal government. The sequester exempts military personnel accounts and the social safety net including Social Security and Medicare. The GOP measure also failed, 38-62.
Senate rejects sequester alternatives

The republicans have refused any deals, yawn your putting me to sleep op.

The Republicans passed a bill that specifically gave the Democrats something they asked for, which was discretion to move the cuts around so they would be less painful, and Obama promised to veto it if it passed. How, exactly, does that mean the Republicans refused any deals?

Republicans wanted to handle the cuts the way any normally developed adult would: Prioritize and eliminate the unnecessary. Obama, the man child, who never had a real job insisted that thinking was too hard for him and DEMANDED the Sequester

It's Obama's Sequester

Are you still confused about the difference?

You can't be serious? Medicare and SS are unnecessary? Yet they have no problem keeping hundreds of bases open around the world, giving money to nations that don't like us, keeping us at war level spending even though the wars are over, subsidizing businesses who don't need it instead of letting the free-market decide who succeeds, ect. ect.

The only difference between the two parties in regards to spending cuts is what their sacred cows are. But they both have a plethora of them, and they will both let the country sink into bankruptcy before touching their own.

If we are to believe Obama the states cutting funding for Medicaid is good because it saves money, but it is bad for the feds to do the same thing because it will destroy the economy. If he were not a lawyer and a politician I would call him a liar, since he is both that would be doubly redundant.

States Get OK To Cut Physician Compensation Under Medicaid - Reason 24/7 : Reason.com

Not in any substantive way. He brought it up first as a mechanism, but that was due to the Republican demand for cuts in return for not defaulting on the national debt. The analogy I made earlier in this thread (may have been in one of the other sequester threads) still holds. If you give someone who is about to be killed the option of being shot or stabbed, it would be really bizarre to say they chose to be killed because they chose the implement used to do it.

You seem confused. First you say it was his idea, then you say it wasn't, then you go off into an absurd discussion about getting shot or stabbed. Come back when you are sober.

It wasn't his idea in any meaningful sense. The Republicans demanded budget cuts and threatened to force the nation to default if they didn't get them. You can plug your fingers in your ears and shout for the rest of time, but it won't change that fact, which is key to this whole dispute.

Obama proposed the sequester in order to force a deal on spending cuts that included both defense and social programs that made more sense. Now he is taking the position that any cuts to social programs is totally unacceptable.

He owns the sequester, and the results, good or bad.

That would be a great story, if only it were true. The reality is that the Republicans demanded budget cuts in exchange for not defaulting on the national debt.

No, they demanded budget cuts in exchange for the power to borrow more money. There would have been no default on the national debt if we had not borrowed more money because the government actually takes in more than enough money to pay the bills it has already run up.

The result of not borrowing more money is default, so that is a distinction without a difference. And who spend the money in the first place? That would be the Republican-lead House, which any appropriations had to go through.

It wasn't his idea in any meaningful sense. The Republicans demanded budget cuts and threatened to force the nation to default if they didn't get them. You can plug your fingers in your ears and shout for the rest of time, but it won't change that fact, which is key to this whole dispute.

I asked you to come back when you are sober, not repeat the same stupid, self contradictory, lie.

I asked you to come back when you are sober, not repeat the same stupid, self contradictory, lie.

The only lies being told are the whoppers you're telling. I get it though. Your crackpot positions are deeply unpopular, so when you do get your way, you're quick to blame the other side for the damage caused by your harebrained ideas.

The result of not borrowing more money is default, so that is a distinction without a difference. And who spend the money in the first place? That would be the Republican-lead House, which any appropriations had to go through.

Only if you think not paying your cable bill is worse than not paying your mortgage.

Come to think of it, that could explain the who housing crisis thing, maybe we should have just cut off everyone's cable, the money saved would have instantly paid off all the mortgages.

Only if you think not paying your cable bill is worse than not paying your mortgage.

Come to think of it, that could explain the who housing crisis thing, maybe we should have just cut off everyone's cable, the money saved would have instantly paid off all the mortgages.

Except that you can't compartmentalize the budget like that. The President is constitutionally required to spend the money as Congress appropriated it.

The only lies being told are the whoppers you're telling. I get it though. Your crackpot positions are deeply unpopular, so when you do get your way, you're quick to blame the other side for the damage caused by your harebrained ideas.

Deeply unpopular? Are you aware that at least 40% of the population thinks that the sequester won't be noticeable, and that a significant portion of the rest of the people think we need to do it even if it hurts?

Like I said, keep rewriting history, it makes you feel smart.

Except that you can't compartmentalize the budget like that. The President is constitutionally required to spend the money as Congress appropriated it.

No he isn't. He is required, by law, to follow the budget that Congress passes, but Congress hasn't passed a budget in 4 years now. The continuing resolutions we have been operating under are not nearly as binding, and the Constitution actually requires that he pay the debt before he pays for his golf outings with Tiger Woods.

Nice try though, you probably felt really smart after that little rewrite.

Deeply unpopular? Are you aware that at least 40% of the population thinks that the sequester won't be noticeable, and that a significant portion of the rest of the people think we need to do it even if it hurts?

Like I said, keep rewriting history, it makes you feel smart.

If the cuts are as popular as you believe, I strongly suggest you write your Representative and Senators to ask them to refuse to pass the continuing resolution at the end of the month unless Obama agrees to another round of cuts.

No he isn't. He is required, by law, to follow the budget that Congress passes, but Congress hasn't passed a budget in 4 years now. The continuing resolutions we have been operating under are not nearly as binding, and the Constitution actually requires that he pay the debt before he pays for his golf outings with Tiger Woods.

Nice try though, you probably felt really smart after that little rewrite.

There is no legal difference between "continuing resolutions" and a "budget" both are appropriations laws passed by Congress which the President is then required to implement. Moreover, there is no Constitutional requirement that the President prioritize debt payments over other fiscal obligations of the government. The only thing that could be read that way (Amendment XIV, Clause 4) is 1) why the debt ceiling is unconstitutional in the first place and 2) specifically mentions debt incurred for specific appropriations .

Last edited:
Obama thinking: My Boss just told me that my next year raise is 2% less than I thought it would be so I have to kick my kids out into the street.

He's a madman

Good fucking grief!!!

Obama INSISTED on Sequester!

Obama wanted it!!

You mindless drone

Forum List

Back