Discrimination Is Now Legal In Mississippi

Fine. In a free country, a person or a business SHOULD be allowed to serve or not serve anyone. It's an issue of freedom and liberty.

The other side of that coin is that you also have to suffer the consequences of your actions. Unless you live in Podunk Junction, Mississippi, bigotry will be met by protests and boycotts. That too is freedom.

Mississippi needs to put up new signs at their borders:
WELCOME TO MISSISSIPPI
(Please turn your watch back 150 years)

You are a fool who has never been there.

the left is nothing but frikken hysterical...and all over some law in a state they probably don't even live in..but they sure can run down the people who live there for it

they really shouldn't call others, dumb when you see post like his...sheeesh:cuckoo:
Spent several nights in Vicksburg. Their National Park is one of the finest preserved battlefields in the US and was even better than Gettysburg. Took the tour of the area and saw a Baptist church with about 10 Tiffany designed stained glass windows. They were magnificent. Yes, I haven't spent a lot of time there but I have spent time there.
(I love the way when someone says or writes something you don't want to hear or see they immediately call you a liar. It is really the sign of a small mind.)

Ok as a canuck these days I swear I do not understand for the life of me any yank mocking a southerner.

I think everyone gets mocked...I know WV does. Canucks don't get mocked so much...go figure :)

Oh trust me. We mock each other very well. Let me loose on a newf and its game on. Oh some fun.

But thats the difference. its fun. we laugh at each other.

Fine. In a free country, a person or a business SHOULD be allowed to serve or not serve anyone. It's an issue of freedom and liberty.

The other side of that coin is that you also have to suffer the consequences of your actions. Unless you live in Podunk Junction, Mississippi, bigotry will be met by protests and boycotts. That too is freedom.

At what point does a person's right to "freedom and liberty" encroach on another's right to equality and fair treatment? If they are a minority, and culturally despised - who will stand up for their rights in the thousands of "Podunk Junctions" around the country? Who will rent them a home, serve them dinner, or allow them to shop in a mall?

How would have thought that discrimination was such a fundamental religious value it needs a special law affirming it....:doubt:

We've come a long way baby....not.

You discriminate every day. Don't give us that.

I treat everyone with the same respect.
I do too. But that doesn't mean that I should do whatever they want. I've turned down work for Planned Parenthood, should that be my right?

I'm curious. You say "In a free country, a person or a business SHOULD be allowed to serve or not serve anyone." You see it as a question of freedom and liberty but can't it also be seen as a question of racism and bigotry?

At what point does a person's right to "freedom and liberty" encroach on another's right to equality and fair treatment? If they are a minority, and culturally despised - who will stand up for their rights in the thousands of "Podunk Junctions" around the country? Who will rent them a home, serve them dinner, or allow them to shop in a mall?

In private business a store owners rights never infringe on another persons rights. All property and service belongs to the owner. No one else has any right to it what so ever. Not so with government services however.

For every business that refuses to serve gays, for example, it creates a business opportunity for their competition. You won't see a lot of businesses adopting descriminatory practices.

You don't believe homosexuals can be fed or housed? How have they managed before? Your rights stop where anothers' begins. I don't have the right to be served in a bar that would cater only to blacks, for example. Would I even want to?

I would go elsewhere, if there were no elsewheres and the market was there, that's where free enterprise steps in.

I'm curious. You say "In a free country, a person or a business SHOULD be allowed to serve or not serve anyone." You see it as a question of freedom and liberty but can't it also be seen as a question of racism and bigotry?

Sure, it's bigotry and racist but its a free country, if some idiot wants to be racist or a bigot, he or she has that right.

You don't believe homosexuals can be fed or housed?

That's not what I said - that's a strawman.

How have they managed before? Your rights stop where anothers' begins. I don't have the right to be served in a bar that would cater only to blacks, for example. Would I even want to?

Exactly. So where does your right to "freedom" overule my right to fair treatment and equality?

I would go elsewhere, if there were no elsewheres and the market was there, that's where free enterprise steps in.

Historically, it hasn't been that neat and humane.

For every business that refuses to serve gays, for example, it creates a business opportunity for their competition. You won't see a lot of businesses adopting descriminatory practices.
I was typing mine as you said that apparently. The other thing is it isn't an issue unless it's being turned into one. Who has a gay test before they allow you to be seated?

The rental argument has more merit but people should be free to pick their renters. One might consider it wrong to not rent to a gay couple but it's more wrong to me for government to call the shots if they aren't paying the bills.

People need to remember that ALL goods and services in PRIVATE businesses belong to the owner. They are his and his alone. No one has a right to another persons property. No one.

Sure, it's bigotry and racist but its a free country, if some idiot wants to be racist or a bigot, he or she has that right.

Yes...he or she does.

But we don't need a law giving them that explicit right.

How have they managed before? Your rights stop where anothers' begins. I don't have the right to be served in a bar that would cater only to blacks, for example. Would I even want to?

Exactly. So where does your right to "freedom" overule my right to fair treatment and equality?

Your right to fair treatment and equality NEVER begins with forcing another person to do something against his will, ever.

People need to remember that ALL goods and services in PRIVATE businesses belong to the owner. They are his and his alone. No one has a right to another persons property. No one.

Yet we have a considerable body of law stating that the does not have a right to discrimminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, gender and increasingly, sexual orientation. That does not mean they have a right to another person's property - no more than anyone else. And the same as anyone else.

Your right to fair treatment and equality NEVER begins with forcing another person to do something against his will, ever.

If that were the case Jim Crow would never have ended.

Yes...he or she does.

But we don't need a law giving them that explicit right.

Speaking of strawmen..

The law does not give them a right to be racist. They already have that right.

Forum List

Back