🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Do hyphenated-Americans contribute to racism?

I don't know if these hyphenated descriptors contribute to racism, but they certainly do divide us into groups. For that reason I'd like to see them go away.

My race is HUMAN. Period.

"The way to stop discrimination based on race, is to stop discriminating based on race." -Chief Justice John Roberts

The point I'm trying to make is that there's no organisation, lobby group or league recognised by the U.S. government that explicitely seeks to promote and defend the interests of White Americans.

What the hell do you care? You're not an American.

I believe they don't. People should not have a problem with me calling myself African-american. if they do then they need to look within themselves to figure out exactly why that bothers them. If I was a "regular American" then the discriminatory treatment I have witnessed and been subject to would not have occurred. I have no problem with people noticing I am Black. I do have a problem with them forming a judgement of me before they know what I am about.
You're an American of African descent. American is your nationality, African is not.

I agree. What makes you think I believed I live in Africa?
I'm not saying that you live in Africa, what I'm saying is that you're not of African nationality so it's not right to put that on the same level as your nationality, which is American. And not all blacks in the US are from Africa, so it's not even a correct term.

True, but Asclepias' ancestors were from Africa, so I believe he should be allowed to label himself as African-American, the same as when some White people label themselves European-American.
People should have more pride in being American. What is this shit, Irish-American? You're American, you fucking buncha noobs!!!! From Irish descent, if you wish, but fucking American!

Asc, you're an American. You're not even from Africa, you're ancestors were, so you're a MyAncestorsWereAfrican-American at best. The term African-American doesn't even denote Africans, it's just a pc way to say "black".

I don't know if these hyphenated descriptors contribute to racism, but they certainly do divide us into groups. For that reason I'd like to see them go away.

"Human" isn't a race. It's a species.

"The way to stop discrimination based on race, is to stop discriminating based on race." -Chief Justice John Roberts
Does that mean he's against affirmative action and is working to rescind it?

Right..I didn't think so. Just meaningless chatter.

True, but Asclepias' ancestors were from Africa, so I believe he should be allowed to label himself as African-American, the same as when some White people label themselves European-American.

Very few 'white' people label themselves thus because they know from what country or countries their ancestors came. They were not sold into slavery, shipped across the ocean as cargo, and systematically divorced from knowledge or affiliation with their country of origin, language, family, religion, etc. over several centuries.

Very few 'white' people label themselves thus because they know from what country or countries their ancestors came. They were not sold into slavery, shipped across the ocean as cargo, and systematically divorced from knowledge or affiliation with their country of origin, language, family, religion, etc. over several centuries.
:boohoo::blahblah::crybaby::poop::(

So is the term African.Its a descriptor for the continent of Africa just like Irish is a descriptor of people from Ireland. I dont call myself Negroid American.

So can a white South African that moves to New Jersey be called an Afro American?
If not, why not?

I believe they don't. People should not have a problem with me calling myself African-american. if they do then they need to look within themselves to figure out exactly why that bothers them. If I was a "regular American" then the discriminatory treatment I have witnessed and been subject to would not have occurred. I have no problem with people noticing I am Black. I do have a problem with them forming a judgement of me before they know what I am about.
You're an American of African descent. American is your nationality, African is not.

I'm not saying that you live in Africa, what I'm saying is that you're not of African nationality so it's not right to put that on the same level as your nationality, which is American. And not all blacks in the US are from Africa, so it's not even a correct term.

People should have more pride in being American. What is this shit, Irish-American? You're American, you fucking buncha noobs!!!! From Irish descent, if you wish, but fucking American!

Asc, you're an American. You're not even from Africa, you're ancestors were, so you're a MyAncestorsWereAfrican-American at best. The term African-American doesn't even denote Africans, it's just a pc way to say "black".

I have more pride in being Black than being an American. Being an American is not hard. Why do you believe what you think I should have more pride in is important to me?

I know I am American. My ancestors came from Africa. The term African-american is not subject to interpretation from a white guy. You dont define what it means. We do.

So is the term African.Its a descriptor for the continent of Africa just like Irish is a descriptor of people from Ireland. I dont call myself Negroid American.

So can a white South African that moves to New Jersey be called an Afro American?
If not, why not?

No because he is white not Black. Do you not know what the term Afro means?

Your race really has nothing to do with racism. The Irish werent considered white until they came over to the US and got special designation. Racism is a system based on benefiting the "race" it was designed for.

I have more pride in being Black than being an American. Being an American is not hard. Why do you believe what you think I should have more pride in is important to me?

I know I am American. My ancestors came from Africa. The term African-american is not subject to interpretation from a white guy. You dont define what it means. We do.
We're all just American, and African-American doesn't even reference Africa, it's a PC way to say "black". So you don't even know why you're calling yourself that. It's ridiculous. The blacks in ferguson have no pride in America, just tear it up for any excuse. Too busy being a fake African to have pride in being an American. You're a black American, just like I'm a white American. Pretty simple really.

This is America

You can be any type of American you choose to be. You can be...

Irish-American
African-American
Southern-American
Catholic-American
Texan- American
wealthy-American

Just because you are "American" does not mean you can't affiliate with other groups

We're all just American, and African-American doesn't even reference Africa, it's a PC way to say "black". So you don't even know why you're calling yourself that. It's ridiculous. The blacks in ferguson have no pride in America, just tear it up for any excuse. Too busy being a fake African to have pride in being an American. You're a black American, just like I'm a white American. Pretty simple really.

What you think doesnt change anything for me. I call myself African American because my ancestors are from Africa. Like I said before, the day I let a white person define me is the day I give up leading my own life. If you dont like that find something else to get your feelings hurt over. I'm African American until I tell you otherwise.

If not, why not?

So white people born in africa aren't really africans...LMFAO...silly negroes. They'll just say ANYthing if it makes them feel good.
I wonder, though..are white people who are born in africa racists, too?

If not, why not?

So white people born in africa aren't really africans...LMFAO...silly negroes. They'll just say ANYthing if it makes them feel good.
I wonder, though..are white people who are born in africa racists, too?
You silly white boy. White Africans would be called by the country they come from Americans if they so desired. For example if they come from Tanzania the would be called Tanzanian Americans. They could never be African Americans until there is a country called Africa in Africa.

Forum List

Back