Zone1 Do these verses go together?

How do we know Satan entered Judah? We know because scripture says so, specifically. The Bible doesn't say that Peter was possessed. Jesus never told Satan to leave Peter's body. And we aren't told that Satan left Peter's body and fled behind Jesus. It sounds more like Jesus was comparing Peter to Satan because of what Peter said. And Jesus went on to tell Peter, that Peter's mind wasn't on God's interest. That doesn't mean that Peter's mind was possessed. Instead, Jesus said that Peter was thinking like a man. What Jesus said to Peter was an insult, comparing Peter to Satan. Judah's case was completely different.

Matthew 6:21-23 From that time Jesus began to show His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised up on the third day. Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him, saying, “God forbid it, Lord! This shall never happen to You.” But He turned and said to Peter, “Get behind Me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to Me; for you are not setting your mind on God’s interests, but man’s.”

God wasn't talking to Satan because Satan wouldn't be setting his mind on God's interest to begin with. That was Peter, the man, not wanting to accept the bad news Christ had just shared with the disciples, and was rebuked by Jesus for it.

We know Eve was influenced by Satan, but it doesn't say she was possessed. We'll have to ask her to clarify for us when we get up there...
If Peter was such an "offense" (KJV) to Jesus why did he keep him around?

Going by the definition, etymology of Satan in that era, Jesus was telling Peter not to test him, nor to tempt him from the way he must go.
Jesus used the word offence, also saying that offences would happen, and woe to the man by whom offences come. What woe befell Peter because of this particular event?

Jesus used the word offence, also saying that offences would happen, and woe to the man by whom offences come. What woe befell Peter because of this particular event?
Seriously?! What happens when one takes offense at someone or what they are doing? They distance themselves and deny they are any part of it. That is human nature, not demons or devils.

Seriously?! What happens when one takes offense at someone or what they are doing? They distance themselves and deny they are any part of it. That is human nature, not demons or devils.
Did Jesus distance himself from Peter?

Genesis 3:15
And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; ...

Matthew 10:35-36
For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. 36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

Are unbelievers today the "seed" of the Devil?
My interpretations:
The Genesis 3:15 is prophecy that the serpent and his offspring would never again be trusted. And it is often given Messianic interpretation that the serpent--Satan--would strike the heel of the Messiah but the Messiah would crush the serpents head.

Matthew 10:35-36 in my opinion is unrelated. I think Jesus was saying that those who believed and followed Him, who became disciples, would have to endure contempt and hate from non believers, even those of their own families. I think he was drawing from Micah 7:
". . .For a son dishonors his father,
a daughter rises up against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
a man’s enemies are the members of his own household. . ."

The Genesis 3:15 is prophecy that the serpent and his offspring would never again be trusted. And it is often given Messianic interpretation that the serpent--Satan--would strike the heel of the Messiah but the Messiah would crush the serpents head.
The order of those events is revealing. Christ first crushes the head, the authority of Satan over the nations, that he has enjoyed since the beginning. Then Satan responds by causing the temporary death of Christ.
Matthew 10:35-36 in my opinion is unrelated. I think Jesus was saying that those who believed and followed Him, who became disciples, would have to endure contempt and hate from non believers, even those of their own families. I think he was drawing from Micah 7:
". . .For a son dishonors his father,
a daughter rises up against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
a man’s enemies are the members of his own household. . ."
Interesting that it is the young 'rising up' against the elders. It is notable even today that when one is called by God to repentance family and friends will often attack and hold them in derision. It seems that the good of the person brings out the evil in others, evil that was previously hidden. I have experienced this in my own life with family and friends.

You have to be joking. No one but you has ever figured this out?
It's just part of the discussion that supports my assertions. Peter was susceptible to demonic influence. Jesus told Satan to 'get behind me', not Peter.

Last edited:
It's just part of the discussion that supports my assertions. Peter was susceptible to demonic influence.
As we all are. As was Jesus himself who was tempted according to scripture but he resisted. I don't know if being weak and fearful for one's life at the expense of another qualifies as demonic influence though. I'll have to think about that. The childhood song "Jesus Loves Me" pretty much nails our human nature and fallibilities I think: ". . .I am weak but He is strong!" Jesus knew that Peter would be weak when the time came and would deny Jesus in order to save himself. Jesus even pointed that out to Peter.

My interpretation is that it was an object lesson to Peter who would be instrumental in building Jesus' Church of believers perhaps to help Peter not be puffed up with pride but understand that we all are imperfect and at times will have feet of clay.

Forum List

Back