Do You Think the President is Above the Law?

Is the President Above all the laws of the United States?

• Total voters
It doesn’t matter what anyone ‘thinks.’

It is a fact that no president is above the law (see United States v. Nixon (1974)).
He made a little mistake, he stood up for the guys in his cabinet and lied. I don't think Clinton should have had it stuck to him either. Now Hilly is another story. She pretty much covered the whole Criminal Code.

So, even though there is no proof HIllary committed the crimes the gop "investigated" for years, she should go to jail.

Plenty of evidence that Putin's Puppy trump conspired with Russia, as did more than a dozen of his staff and others but he should get a walk. What is it up to now? About 23.

Russia.

You are siding with RUSSIA and against your own country.

You guys have no shame.

I reported the thread, we'll let the Mods sort it out.

Good for you, but that is exactly the defense Trump's lawyers sent to the Mueller probe.

Report: Trump lawyers' letter to Mueller challenges subpoena

I do like how you didn't vote. Put your money where your mouth is.

You linked to an article about a letter but not the actual letter.

Post the letter.

The link to the letter is in the first post.

I just read the entire letter. It never says that Trump is "above the law".

The more important question is HOW DID THE NY TIMES GET THIS LETTER?

Who leaked it?

It certainly does say he is above the law. Read it again.

I've already read it. It doesn't say it.

Feel free to post proof from the actual letter.

Good for you, but that is exactly the defense Trump's lawyers sent to the Mueller probe.

Report: Trump lawyers' letter to Mueller challenges subpoena

I do like how you didn't vote. Put your money where your mouth is.

Post the letter.

Who leaked it?

It does say it. It clearly says that his Presidential Powers allows him to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants, and he can not be held accountable for it due to his position and the powers given to him by the Constitution. That includes firing people and shutting down any investigations he wants even if it has to do with him.

A better question to ask is Congress above the law? The supreme Court above the law?

Post the letter.

Who leaked it?

It does say it. It clearly says that his Presidential Powers allows him to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants, and he can not be held accountable for it due to his position and the powers given to him by the Constitution. That includes firing people and shutting down any investigations he wants even if it has to do with him.

They are under his jurisdiction..

President Trump's new defense against the Mueller probe is that he is above the law. Not only that, but he IS THE LAW. He can do whatever he wants and can not be prosecuted for it. Do you think the President of the United States holds that much power?

Do you think Mueller and his deep state buddies are THE LAW?

:coffee:

No, the president is not above the law; however, the constitution which is the law gives him great authority. As chief executive, he has the authority to fire the FBI director and he is not obligated to give the reason.

Note: Firing Comey did not end the “Russian Meddling” investigation. So the cries of “Obstruction” are ludicrous. But even if it were, it is not the place of the executive branch to Check and Balance the president. The other two branches have that responsibility. Congress has the authority of oversight of the executive branch. If the legislative branch has the votes, the house can impeach and the senate can convict (throw him out of office).

Trump is allowing the special counsel to continue for political reasons, not because he doesn’t have the authority to end it,
I do not believe it matters whether an investigation is ended or not, due to whatever a person does to try to obstruct justice...or obstruct an official investigation....the investigation on Watergate was not stopped by Nixon, even though he obstructed justice...as example.

That has never been the position of all previous obstruction of justice charges?
With Nixon there was the destruction, or attempted destruction of evidence.....the tape. Without that Nixon would probably not had to resign. I doubt that his firings alone would have led to impeachment.

No, the president is not above the law; however, the constitution which is the law gives him great authority. As chief executive, he has the authority to fire the FBI director and he is not obligated to give the reason.

Note: Firing Comey did not end the “Russian Meddling” investigation. So the cries of “Obstruction” are ludicrous. But even if it were, it is not the place of the executive branch to Check and Balance the president. The other two branches have that responsibility. Congress has the authority of oversight of the executive branch. If the legislative branch has the votes, the house can impeach and the senate can convict (throw him out of office).

Trump is allowing the special counsel to continue for political reasons, not because he doesn’t have the authority to end it,
I do not believe it matters whether an investigation is ended or not, due to whatever a person does to try to obstruct justice...or obstruct an official investigation....the investigation on Watergate was not stopped by Nixon, even though he obstructed justice...as example.

That has never been the position of all previous obstruction of justice charges?
With Nixon there was the destruction, or attempted destruction of evidence.....the tape. Without that Nixon would probably not had to resign. I doubt that his firings alone would have led to impeachment.
It is also noteworthy that Comey had told Trump on three separate occasions that Trump was not under investigation. Comey confirmed this to congress. So if it’s obstruction for the president to fire the FBI director in this case, when would it not be obstruction. Isn’t the FBI direction always overseeing investigations which one can claim to be obstructed.

I dunno about that....?

The articles of impeachment don't even mention the destruction of the tapes DIRECTLY that I saw....?

The Judiciary Committee, with six Republicans joining the Democratic majority, passed three of the five proposed articles of impeachment.[18]

On July 27, 1974, the Committee voted 27–11 to recommend the first article of impeachment against the president: obstruction of justice.[90][91] The Committee then recommended the second article, abuse of power, on July 29, 1974.[92] The next day, on July 30, 1974, the Committee recommended the third article: contempt of Congress.[94]

Article I alleged in part:

On June 17, 1972, and prior thereto, agents of the Committee for the Re-election of the President committed unlawful entry of the headquarters of the Democratic National Committee in Washington, District of Columbia, for the purpose of securing political intelligence. Subsequent thereto, Richard M. Nixon, using the powers of his high office, engaged personally and through his close subordinates and agents, in a course of conduct or plan designed to delay, impede, and obstruct the investigation of such illegal entry; to cover up, conceal and protect those responsible; and to conceal the existence and scope of other unlawful covert activities.[95]
Article II alleged in part that Nixon:

repeatedly engaged in conduct violating the constitutional rights of citizens, impairing the due and proper administration of justice and the conduct of lawful inquiries, or contravening the laws governing agencies of the executive branch and the purposed of these agencies.[95]
Article III alleged in part that Nixon:

failed without lawful cause or excuse to produce papers and things as directed by duly authorized subpoenas issued by the Committee on the Judiciary of the House of Representatives on April 11, 1974, May 15, 1974, May 30, 1974, and June 24, 1974, and willfully disobeyed such subpoenas.[95]

34344346_10214766173523564_7210725854865784832_n.jpg

sometimes a meme says it all

It is also noteworthy that Comey had told Trump on three separate occasions that Trump was not under investigation. Comey confirmed this to congress. So if it’s obstruction for the president to fire the FBI director in this case, when would it not be obstruction. Isn’t the FBI direction always overseeing investigations which one can claim to be obstructed.
I thought what Comey told him and congress was that he was not the 'target' of the investigation...

I think 'target' has a certain legalese meaning that Trump may not understand completely?
-------------------------

He probably could have gotten away with firing Comey if he had not told the Russian Diplomats the next day in the Oval Office he did it to ease the pressure of the Russia investigation, and then the day after that he also, basically told Lester Holt that he fired Comey due to the Russia investigation....

The President is not above the Law..

Obongo should go to jail for spying on Trump

and using the full force of the federal Government

against his political foes…..

What law has Trump broken?

View attachment 196359
Conspiracy, obstruction, money laundering

All three of which can be charged in the state of New York, which may very well happen, considering the fact both the special counsels office, and the office of the southern district of New York federal prosecutor have all been sharing evidence that has been uncovered. Trump may be the first President in history to be tried in state court for multiple felonies, and face state prison time after leaving office, as well as his daughter, his sons, and several business associates, and cabinet members.

Isn’t the FBI direction always overseeing investigations which one can claim to be obstructed.
Yes, they are always investigating crimes or counter intelligence probes, but this investigation involved him, in the sense that it might involve his campaign workers and family....working with the Russians involved with interfering in our election....

so firing for the purpose of stopping or slowing down or being relieved of the monkey on his back, or mad at the director for some reason because of this particular investigation, SCREAMS.... obstruction of an official investigation, obstruction of Justice.

President Trump's new defense against the Mueller probe is that he is above the law. Not only that, but he IS THE LAW. He can do whatever he wants and can not be prosecuted for it. Do you think the President of the United States holds that much power?

Let me remind you that when the United States decided on George Washington to be the first leader of the United States, they were going to call him a king and he rejected it. He said a President shouldn't hold as much power as a king, and that a President is only a part of the head of government along with Congress and the Supreme Court.

Here is a copy of the letter that spells out how Trump's team says Trump can not obstruct Justice because he is Justice.

The Trump Lawyers’ Confidential Memo to Mueller, Explained

That "letter" very much resembles the same wording used within Germany's 1933 "Enabling Act" ........

Last edited:

Let me remind you that when the United States decided on George Washington to be the first leader of the United States, they were going to call him a king and he rejected it. He said a President shouldn't hold as much power as a king, and that a President is only a part of the head of government along with Congress and the Supreme Court.

Here is a copy of the letter that spells out how Trump's team says Trump can not obstruct Justice because he is Justice.

The Trump Lawyers’ Confidential Memo to Mueller, Explained

Everyone should be above the law.

The criminals are below the law.

There can be a problem with people who are outside the law.

This is a standard geometry problem.

Forum List

Back