does God love us?

[
It always makes me scratch my head when I read about people not believing in God because He DOESN'T do magical things for them.

No faith. Matthew 17:20

How many mountains have you seen being moved lately? You know somebody would have done it by now if it was possible.
Depends on how you took it. But let's assume it was meant to be taken literally, how do you know what the limit of consciousness is?

Christians crow about how accurate the bible is except for the parts where they need an excuse to ignore it. I'm just saying there aren't any mountains jumping back and forth.
I suspect there may be no passages you would accept. You think it's all fairytales, right?
There is profound wisdom and universal truth to be found in the Bible. I could never compare it with a simple fairy tale. Much of it is true, even if those events depicted never really happened. Unfortunately, the more I studied it, the less reason I found to believe in a loving, all powerful god who does such horrible things.
Interesting. All I can tell you is that the Jews believed God was loving, so maybe it's your understanding of what you are reading that is flawed. As for events depicted never happening, not sure what you are referring to but if you are reading it literally I can understand your confusion.

I did not come to believe in God by reading other people's perception of God. I came to believe in God through observations of the natural world, myself, others, logic and experience. It was only then that I was able to make sense of the various teachings of ancient man. All I can tell you is that my confirmation came from experiencing God firsthand and witnessing the transformations which ensued. The proof is always in the pudding and my life has been enriched beyond measure for making that pudding.

If you don't feel that something is missing or the need to transform yourself, then don't.

I feel the need to transform myself every day. There are always new goals to accomplish, and imperfections to correct. You don't need the fear of an omnipotent judgmental being to want to better yourself. I want to better myself for me and the ones I love, not because I'm afraid of what some imagined all knowing taskmaster will do to me if I don't.
It's not about fear. It's about love.

Right. The love of keeping your ass out of an imaginary fire. That's what it all comes down to. Well, that, and an inordinate sense of superiority.
Nope. But by that logic you only did good to keep from getting divorced. ;)
Dumb remark. Try not to post goofy shit.
It's literally your logic. Apparently you believe people only do things because of fear.

But I do agree that is stupid logic.

[
It always makes me scratch my head when I read about people not believing in God because He DOESN'T do magical things for them.

How many mountains have you seen being moved lately? You know somebody would have done it by now if it was possible.
Depends on how you took it. But let's assume it was meant to be taken literally, how do you know what the limit of consciousness is?

Christians crow about how accurate the bible is except for the parts where they need an excuse to ignore it. I'm just saying there aren't any mountains jumping back and forth.
I suspect there may be no passages you would accept. You think it's all fairytales, right?
There is profound wisdom and universal truth to be found in the Bible. I could never compare it with a simple fairy tale. Much of it is true, even if those events depicted never really happened. Unfortunately, the more I studied it, the less reason I found to believe in a loving, all powerful god who does such horrible things.
Interesting. All I can tell you is that the Jews believed God was loving, so maybe it's your understanding of what you are reading that is flawed. As for events depicted never happening, not sure what you are referring to but if you are reading it literally I can understand your confusion.

I did not come to believe in God by reading other people's perception of God. I came to believe in God through observations of the natural world, myself, others, logic and experience. It was only then that I was able to make sense of the various teachings of ancient man. All I can tell you is that my confirmation came from experiencing God firsthand and witnessing the transformations which ensued. The proof is always in the pudding and my life has been enriched beyond measure for making that pudding.

If you don't feel that something is missing or the need to transform yourself, then don't.

I feel the need to transform myself every day. There are always new goals to accomplish, and imperfections to correct. You don't need the fear of an omnipotent judgmental being to want to better yourself. I want to better myself for me and the ones I love, not because I'm afraid of what some imagined all knowing taskmaster will do to me if I don't.

Right. The love of keeping your ass out of an imaginary fire. That's what it all comes down to. Well, that, and an inordinate sense of superiority.
Nope. But by that logic you only did good to keep from getting divorced. ?
It's literally your logic. Apparently you believe people only do things because of fear.

Again, you think you know what I believe better than I do. Did your god give you that special knowledge in a miraculous revelation?

[

Nope. But by that logic you only did good to keep from getting divorced. ?

Again, you think you know what I believe better than I do. Did your god give you that special knowledge in a miraculous revelation?
So I only do things because of fear but you don't?

You are just upset because I took what you said about me and turned it around on you. The power of logic is the only special knowledge I need and yes, it did lead to that revelation.

i have too big an ego to "surrender to the Almighty", and so does Trump!

It doesn't say others have to se a mountain moving. It says that believing it has moved makes it so.

That's just plain nonsense.

I can believe I can lift a car over my head but that doesn't make it so.
If you believe you have done it, it does.

More nonsense.
What makes the economy function?

The trade of goods and services or tokens that represent them.

I can't simply believe I sold all the goods in my store and have therefore received something in trade for them.

You can't simply believe you own a lear jet and have it magically appear

[

religion plays to greed and fear and always has

[

That doesn't sound like a functional advantage.

[

William James responds...

"When all is said and done, we are in the end absolutely dependent on the universe; and into sacrifices and surrenders of some sort, deliberately looked at and accepted, we are drawn and pressed as into our only permanent positions of repose. Now in those states of mind which fall short of religion, the surrender is submitted to as an imposition of necessity, and the sacrifice is undergone at the very best without complaint. In the religious life, on the contrary, surrender and sacrifice are positively espoused: even unnecessary givings-up are added in order that the happiness may increase. Religion thus makes easy and felicitous what in any case is necessary; and if it be the only agency that can accomplish this result, its vital importance as a human faculty stands vindicated beyond dispute. It becomes an essential organ of our life, performing a function which no other portion of our nature can so successfully fulfill."

The data overwhelmingly shows that man is a spiritual being. It is for good reason that David Foster Wallace said that we all worship something and the only choice in the matter is what we choose to worship. We are literally hardwired for it. Throughout history every society has overwhelmingly held the belief that man is more than just matter and that there is a higher power than man. When we look at the data today we see that more and more people are rejecting organized religion but have not abandoned their belief that they are more than just matter or that there is a force which connects or binds us all. From the atheist's vantage point these beliefs exist because of evolutionary forces. But the reality is that even that argument confirms that spirituality offers a functional advantage over materialism. According to natural selection there are two main components; functional advantage and transfer of functional advantage to the next generation. So even natural selection confirms that spirituality is a behavior which leads to success. Otherwise, according to natural selection, it would have been abandoned long ago. As mankind has gained more and more knowledge of his natural surroundings his desire for spirituality has not diminished. In fact, the more materialistic we became the less satisfied we became.

Of course religion isn't God which is why it is odd that people choose to believe God doesn't exist because of what adherents of this or that religion may have done or not done. That would be a wholly illogical reason not to believe in a Creator. It would go something like this...

I'm sorry but I choose to not acknowledge your existence because of something your creatures did.

[

It is

How many billions of dollars are given to religions annually?

The data overwhelmingly shows that man is a spiritual being. It is for good reason that David Foster Wallace said that we all worship something and the only choice in the matter is what we choose to worship. We are literally hardwired for it. Throughout history every society has overwhelmingly held the belief that man is more than just matter and that there is a higher power than man. When we look at the data today we see that more and more people are rejecting organized religion but have not abandoned their belief that they are more than just matter or that there is a force which connects or binds us all. From the atheist's vantage point these beliefs exist because of evolutionary forces. But the reality is that even that argument confirms that spirituality offers a functional advantage over materialism. According to natural selection there are two main components; functional advantage and transfer of functional advantage to the next generation. So even natural selection confirms that spirituality is a behavior which leads to success. Otherwise, according to natural selection, it would have been abandoned long ago. As mankind has gained more and more knowledge of his natural surroundings his desire for spirituality has not diminished. In fact, the more materialistic we became the less satisfied we became.
What data proves there is some spirit that exists after a person dies?

We have elevated our minds which are merely a function of the brain and by extension the body into some mystical force

[

It is

Bitter much?

We have elevated our minds which are merely a function of the brain and by extension the body into some mystical force
Who knows what happens when consciousness makes the next leap? Maybe you will get to find out one day.

Of course faith isn't about dying, faith is about living.

[

It is

Bitter much?
Why would I be bitter?

I never gave money to any religion.

religion plays of the fear of death and the greed of those wanting eternal bliss.

Who knows what happens when consciousness makes the next leap? Maybe you will get to find out one day.

Of course faith isn't about dying, faith is about living.

Then why so much emphasis on the afterlife?

Of course religion isn't God which is why it is odd that people choose to believe God doesn't exist because of what adherents of this or that religion may have done or not done. That would be a wholly illogical reason not to believe in a Creator. It would go something like this...

I'm sorry but I choose to not acknowledge your existence because of something your creatures did.
that's obvious why you are a christian -
1616524108447.png

what suits your lifestyle is your god.

that's obvious why you are a christian -
View attachment 471366
what suits your lifestyle is your god.
I am a Christian for no other reason than I believe God loved us so much that He chose to be born into this world to testify to the truth, suffer death and reconcile justice and mercy.

God suits everyone's lifestyle.

Forum List

Back