Dont buy my Electric Car...

flacaltenn

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2011
Hillbilly Hollywood, Tenn
For all those bragging on how good sales of Electric Vehicles have been. And ignoring the massive subsidies and losses -- This Fiat CEO gets honest about who all is footing the bill and will pay for the economic carnage in the future..

Fiat Chrysler CEO: Please don't buy Fiat 500e electric car | Reuters

May 21 (Reuters) - Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne has a request for potential buyers of the automaker's Fiat 500e electric car: Don't buy it. He's tired of losing money.

Speaking at a conference in Washington on Wednesday, Marchionne said Tesla Motors Inc was the only company making money on electric cars and that was because of the higher price point for its Model S sedan. Decrying the federal and state mandates that push manufacturers to build electric cars, Marchionne said he hoped to sell the minimum number of 500e cars possible.

"I hope you don't buy it because every time I sell one it costs me $14,000," he said to the audience at the Brookings Institution about the 500e. "I'm honest enough to tell you that."

The state of California's zero-emission vehicle mandates and federal fuel efficiency requirements for 2025 were pushing the need for electric cars, but Marchionne said he would prefer the U.S. Department of Energy simply set targets and let the automakers achieve them in their own way.

And in the meantime, Tesla cannot make them fast enough.

The EV is the oppertunity for some real innovation in vehicle design. Thus far, only Tesla is actually taking advantage of that. Instead of retro-fitting existing vehicles to batteries, taking advantage of the freedom of design that the EV allows is the way to go.

And in the meantime, Tesla cannot make them fast enough.

The EV is the oppertunity for some real innovation in vehicle design. Thus far, only Tesla is actually taking advantage of that. Instead of retro-fitting existing vehicles to batteries, taking advantage of the freedom of design that the EV allows is the way to go.
Have they changed the coal burners, that are their chief source for electrical energy?

Actually, very few coal plants being built now, and many due to be mothballed, or demolished. Natural gas is far more efficient and cleaner. And wind and solar are rapidly coming down in price, and up in efficiency. Coal is due to be phased out, the sooner the better.

In Wyoming, drilling for a formation in which to sequester the CO2, they found a huge resource of very hot highly pressurized brine, a brine loaded with lithium. Just the lithium would make the processing of the brine profitable, however, there you have the capability of geothermal, no need for the coal plants at all.

Did not ask how many plants are currently under construction. Dear Leader and the environmentalist whacks have seen to it that no new ones come online.

Now, care to answer the question honestly, or is that a bridge too far?

If the govt quit subsidizing sales today, the left would be screaming about conspiracies by the car manufacturers to KILL the EV. Just like they did a couple decades with the GM protos that got pulled from the market. And without this honesty from Fiat -- no one would never actually realize what kind of losses were implied for every EV that rolls off the assembly line..

That no new coal fired plants come online is a good thing. That the dirty coal plants are being shut down is a good thing. And that solar is expanding very rapidly, and geothermal is beginning to be seriously considered are even better things. That some 'Conservative' tails are being put is perhaps best of all.

Next up. Bet ol' Musk has more than just standard Li batteries in mind for his new battery plant. Be interesting if he has a new design that would put the range of his cars at 600+ miles per charge.

Forum List

Back