🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Dr Martin Luther King saved this country

Market forces would eliminate racism? The market used Blacks as slaves and did rather well for better than a century. The market used Black labor at a reduced cost for another century after slavery was abolished by war and legal enforcement, at least as far as slavery went. Legal enforcement of any civil rights concern just did not exist for Black Americans.

And then how much longer were you going to allow any American to say to any other American "You cannot be served due to your complexion. We do not wish to associate ourselves with the likes of you."

What does 'land of the free' mean to you? Why would you try to reform, to rectify what it means to be an American by Free Market systems rather than the code of law?

This country was founded on a code of laws written by delegates in Philadelphia and ratified by state elected legislators. The Dow Jones was founded under a tree on Wall Street.

One was meant to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity.

The other to make a buck.

Where should people seek justice, tranquility and the blessings of liberty?

The idea that people would boycott businesses that participated in racism is not supported by history. The south went 100 years with segregation and seemed perfectly comfortable

Any boycotts were directed at establishments that served blacks as equals
Well...seprate but 'equal'.

The last thing they wanted was for blacks to expect to be treated as equal

One day blacks will realize that all the Democrats offered them was public education, public housing, broken families, crime and prison

Last edited:
I'm so glad that even when others want to poison the moment for their own agendas, I'm just glad I have a day to remember a great man.

Reverend King cared. He didn't see color. He cared. Dr. King believed in the moment. He believed in the Lord. He believed in Jehovah.

I wish I had him back. I miss his goodness. I miss his truth. I miss him.

Well, boys and girls, in this topic we have learned why the ad hominem is considered a logical fallacy.

Lots of great men and women who have achieved great things had personal flaws. Those flaws do not take anything away from their accomplishments.

The only time a personal flaw has any bearing on a person's achievements is when they contradict the achievement. For instance, if a preacher becomes famous for promoting heterosexual marriage and it turns out he was a flaming homosexual, then his personal life has some bearing on what he is known for.

If a guy leads people out of bondage, his drinking habits really have nothing do with the fact he led his people out of bondage. And pointing out his drinking habits in an attempt to distract from the great things he achieved does not really fool anyone and just makes you look like an illogical ass.

Remind us what King achieved.

Did you sleep through that part in school?

He got his start by leading the Montgomery bus boycott, demonstrating the power of non-violent protest. A concept that took off from there to other similar actions which produced great results.

His leadership abilities, tireless work, and rhetorical prowess energized millions of people into a civil rights movement that led to the end of segration and the enforcement of voting rights for minorities.

So he fomented a riot and Lyndon Johnson signed legislation.
Why isn't there a Lyndon Johnson Day?

Remind us what King achieved.

He got his start by leading the Montgomery bus boycott, demonstrating the power of non-violent protest. A concept that took off from there to other similar actions which produced great results.

His leadership abilities, tireless work, and rhetorical prowess energized millions of people into a civil rights movement that led to the end of segration and the enforcement of voting rights for minorities.

Why didn't Johnson get to part the Red Sea? :lol:

MLK was a Civil Rights Leader. Think "Content of Character" and roll with it. I can think of worse Roll Models. ;)

MLK was a Civil Rights Leader. Think "Content of Character" and roll with it. I can think of worse Roll Models. ;)
King was a communist, a womanizer and an alcoholic. What kind of content of character is that? Johnson was just a scumbag. But he did a hell of a lot more for civil rights than King ever dreamed of.

King was a communist, a womanizer and an alcoholic. What kind of content of character is that? Johnson was just a scumbag. But he did a hell of a lot more for civil rights than King ever dreamed of.

I don't view him as a Communist. Yes he had problems with Fidelity, that's actually not all that uncommon. Alcoholic? To what extent?

MLK's niece claims that Dr. King would be a pro-life social conservative today.

That's the problem. Once someone is dead anyone can claim anything. There are probably people claiming Reagan would have supported Occupy Wall Street.

It ain't just anyone. It's the daughter of MLK's brother and she makes a good case.

I believe it. There is nothing that compares to the damage to the Black Race in America done by Abortion on Demand. No Group has been hit nearly as hard there.

I grew up in the 60's and saw most of the Civil Rights movement. Like most Americans, I was outraged at the assasination of Dr King. When we talked about giving him a national holiday ten years later, I looked at it as a form of appeasement for outraged blacks.....a way of giving them their own holiday to quiet them down.

In reading about the Civil Rights movement in subsequent years, I realized what a great American Dr King was. Black Americans came back after WWII to find that despite fighting and dying in defense of their country, they were still treated like lesser Americans. They found they were not allowed to mingle with whites, were not welcome in much of the country they had fought for. Blacks were considered to be dirty, diseased and sub human. Some whites were outraged at the thought of eating with blacks, using the same restrooms, riding on public transportation with them.

As black Americans began to protest their treatment in their own country they were met with harsh resistance from both white militants and governments who swore to support inequal treatment. Blacks were denied the right to vote, to freely associate, rights to a fair trial. Those who resisted were met with terrorist attacks. Lynchings, bombings, arrest and assasination of their leaders.

Most of us faced with such horrific treatment in our own homeland would fight violence with violence. How would you react if someone spat on your child for trying to go to school?

When the courts did not protect blacks, armed conflict would seem a reasonable response. Dr King knew violence would only result in more violence against you. He modeled the Civil Rights movement around Gandhis peaceful resistance theories. By using cameras to document the treatment of peaceful protestors he saved this country from an armed violent protest that would have destroyed this country.

America returned from WWII as an economic and military superpower. But a country that does not treat its citizens with respect is not a moral superpower. By changing the way we treat our citizens, Dr King, more importantly, saved our soul. By forcing us to look in a mirror and see who we really are, he enabled us to become a truly great country.

On this Martin Luther King day I hope everyone can reflect on what a great American he was and how much better off we all are

I'm 31 years old...

Go to sleep....

Your hippie ilk does nothing more than surr-up old memories then use them against us younger guys...

Fuck You!!!!!

Just think how much easier life would have been for everyone if they had all just gotten their 40 acres and a mule! :lol:

Uh, why is that funny? I actually agree with that statement

I do, too.

Of course not allowing the KLAN to destroy any Black who was doing well in business or farming would have been necessary, too.

What followed after we abandoned the former slaves was basically a system of aparthied which kept Blacks down for the next 100 years.

That's the problem. Once someone is dead anyone can claim anything. There are probably people claiming Reagan would have supported Occupy Wall Street.

Shakespeare once said something about being hoisted upon your own petard.

Could I change that to being hoisted by a retard?

Forum List

Back