Ending DACA will see the true beginning of Trump's downward economic spiral

Prostitution is really, REALLY bad for girls that have no homes, young girls that get abandoned by their morally irresponsible parents.

You have no idea what a problem prostitution is if you can make such callous remarks.

Here's the problem with that. The only reason why some minors and aliens are exploited in prostitution, is because it is illegal and unregulated. IN Nevada, where it is legal, they don't have these problems. The girls are protected and well paid.
If that's what you need to tell yourself to sleep at night to live with your world view, go with that. . .

'It's like you sign a contract to be raped'

If you believe their PR, Nevada's legal brothels are safe, healthy - even fun - places in which to work. So why do so many prostitutes tell such horrific tales of abuse? Julie Bindel reports

Sex trafficking: Women, girls held hostage on streets of Reno

This is about illegals in our country not prostitutes or drugs and something really bad is going on when millions of these illegal aliens are rising up against the population. Millions more of us including those who parents migrated legally want the law enforced.

Yeah, I'm sure you do.

Too bad the people who really run your party don't.

Hey, dummy, who do you think is employing all these illegals? I'll give you a hint, it's rich One Percenters. The ones who hire them because they don't want to pay you a fair wage.
Correct.

Rich Republicans are the most egregious large-scale employers of Illegal Aliens.

Rich Democrats want to keep 'em in the country, too, in order to generate waves of future grateful Democratic voters.

Selfish, disloyal behavior from the Right...

Selfish, disloyal behavior from the Left...

With the American tradesman and workers taking it on the chin from both sides...

All countries have immigration laws.
It's not racist to our enforce immigration laws.
The Democrats are racist for attempting to block the enforcement of our immigration laws.

Racist Democrat Brown Berets; “Go back to Boston! Go back to Plymouth Rock, Pilgrims! Get out! We are the future. You are old and tired. Go on. We have beaten you. Leave like beaten rats. You old white people. It is your duty to die … "

This is about illegals in our country not prostitutes or drugs and something really bad is going on when millions of these illegal aliens are rising up against the population. Millions more of us including those who parents migrated legally want the law enforced.

Yeah, I'm sure you do.

Too bad the people who really run your party don't.

Hey, dummy, who do you think is employing all these illegals? I'll give you a hint, it's rich One Percenters. The ones who hire them because they don't want to pay you a fair wage.
Correct.

Rich Republicans are the most egregious large-scale employers of Illegal Aliens.

Rich Democrats want to keep 'em in the country, too, in order to generate waves of future grateful Democratic voters.

With the American tradesman and workers taking it on the chin from both sides...

Actually, rich Democrats want to keep them in the country for the same reason, H1b visa holders of the tech companies are treated like shit compared to their elder American counterparts.

According to PEW, the majority of Republicans think college is bad for America. Getting rid of those who benefited from DACA means tossing away nurses, engineers, entrepreneurs, not to mention thousands in the military. Republicans have this fantastical idea that once they leave jobs will magically open up for those who have no education nor skills.

There are 6 million jobs available right now that can't be filled because of a lack of skills. Republicans, instead of being jealous and coveting what others have, you need to make your own. That's the only way it works.

4 Years Later: Lives Built By DACA at Risk in 2016 Elections

Once approved, she was able to work as a teaching assistant while pursuing a master's degree in engineering. After graduating in June 2014, she moved back to Arizona and now works as a project engineer.

Her husband Juan Amaya is also a DACA recipient and an engineer. The Phoenix couple recently became parents and purchased a home.

--------------------

See what I mean? Like I said, Republicans don't believe in education. The majority think college is bad for America.

The majority of Republicans say colleges are bad for America (yes, really)

Remember, in Bible, you aren't supposed to "covet" what isn't yours. Instead of 6 million unfilled jobs because of a lack of skills, it will be 7 million. And the Business community is going to love that (snicker).

There are 2 million DACAs in the country, all of them in their 20s or younger.

The idea that the economy would collapse because you removed >2% of the working population of mostly uneducated young people is retarded.

According to PEW, the majority of Republicans think college is bad for America. Getting rid of those who benefited from DACA means tossing away nurses, engineers, entrepreneurs, not to mention thousands in the military. Republicans have this fantastical idea that once they leave jobs will magically open up for those who have no education nor skills.

There are 6 million jobs available right now that can't be filled because of a lack of skills. Republicans, instead of being jealous and coveting what others have, you need to make your own. That's the only way it works.

Once approved, she was able to work as a teaching assistant while pursuing a master's degree in engineering. After graduating in June 2014, she moved back to Arizona and now works as a project engineer.

Her husband Juan Amaya is also a DACA recipient and an engineer. The Phoenix couple recently became parents and purchased a home.

--------------------

See what I mean? Like I said, Republicans don't believe in education. The majority think college is bad for America.

Remember, in Bible, you aren't supposed to "covet" what isn't yours. Instead of 6 million unfilled jobs because of a lack of skills, it will be 7 million. And the Business community is going to love that (snicker).
/---/ When they fail to publish the demographics it means they are hiding something like skewed respondents. You libtard a fall for it every time

--------------------

Doesn't PEW have a trust devoted to Hispanics? Perhaps their research is slanted so I tend to ignore them on this issue.

Pew and I both have one thing in common, our goals are different. That is the issue of illegal Hispanic immigrants. Although Pew has this glowing and romantic sense of illegals, I see them as obnoxious people that are so arrogant and ignorant, they feel entitled to elbow their way in because they are HISPANIC.And we can't question THEM because it's racist or xenophobic. It's insane we are bad for noticing they are disrespectful lying conniving sneaky frauds BUT, they just happen to be HISPANIC, so, off limits. Umm, No let's get over that.

If that's what you need to tell yourself to sleep at night to live with your world view, go with that. . .

If you believe their PR, Nevada's legal brothels are safe, healthy - even fun - places in which to work. So why do so many prostitutes tell such horrific tales of abuse? Julie Bindel reports

Bullshit. Most hookers are hookers because it's the only marketable skill they have. Get off your high bible thumping horse.

if there are abuses, then make the regulation tougher, just like you would in any other industry.

Correct.

You mean the American Tradesmen who traded away their union protections years ago?

Here's the thing. We are a country of immigrants.

Until we take on the employers who hire them, chasing after some kid who was brought here by his parents is cruel.

We are a country of immigrants, even the aboriginal people immigrated here, there wasn't any immigration laws then because we (north America) didn't have "countries" or borders. Let's fast forward a millennia. Countries exist, they have laws that govern immigration. I am very fond of immigrants. But I see illegal aliens as a world apart. Immigrants actually respect the culture they are immigrating too. Illegal aliens are quite different. They feel entitled like no other group.They think they are above the law, they take for granted people will enable them as long as they are cheap laborers. This weird symbiotic relationship between wealthy white exploiters and poor hispanic illegals is a viscous cycle, I want to put a stick in their spokes and end THAT.

Last edited:
MAGA Baby! No more of Obama's gang bangers.

Trump has decided to end DACA, with 6-month delay

Trump has decided to end DACA, with 6-month delay
Senior White House aides met Sunday afternoon to discuss how to roll out the controversial move affecting hundreds of thousands of Dreamers.

By ELIANA JOHNSON

09/03/2017 08:21 PM EDT

Updated 09/03/2017 08:25 PM EDT

President Donald Trump has decided to end the Obama-era program that grants work permits to undocumented immigrants who arrived in the country as children, according to two sources familiar with his thinking. Senior White House aides huddled Sunday afternoon to discuss the rollout of a decision likely to ignite a political firestorm — and fulfill one of the president’s core campaign promises.

Trump has wrestled for months with whether to do away with the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, known as DACA. He has faced strong warnings from members of his own party not to scrap the program and struggled with his own misgivings about targeting minors for deportation.

Good people immigrate legally and we got along before illegals and we will after. Immigrate legally like everyone else, or blame your parents if they snuck in here and dragged you into this. They owe you a huge apology, America doesn't owe offspring of illegals a damn thing. End DACA. It's arbitrary, unnecessary and enables the worst part of human nature, it dosen't help it just kicks the can down the road.

A Huge victory for the American worker and I mean huge......corporations and wall street will be crying their eyes out losing the cheap labor

[Q, chasing after some kid who was brought here by his parents is cruel.

Trespasser are trespassers no matter how they got here.

The immigration laws of this country should not be allowed to be comprised just because some Mexican bitch swims across the Rio Grande and dumps her kid on our welfare system.

It was also illegal for Obama to allow the flood of those little shitheads, many of them gang bangers. Shame on him. He only did it to get more non Whites into this country expecting them to vote Democrat in the future. Despicable!

Good for Trump for doing the right thing.

Sigh . . . . I don't think we are going to agree on this, as you went into this with the attitude of "debunking" the whole thing. Eh? You didn't even watching the whole thing, you went in to cherry pick segments, as such, you just do not comprehend the big picture, so really, I don't see much point in refuting any of what you say, b/c you are living in a fantasy land.

Your belief is that compulsory education is necessary and good, for everyone, and should be imposed, upon everyone. I'm not saying that college isn't right for some, maybe it is. Maybe it is right for the dull of imagination. Maybe it is right for those that aren't self-starters. Maybe it is right of those who need to be told what to do. But for those in whose veins runs the spirit of American entrepreneurship and the dreams of success, not being a slave to others, it just might not be right. Sometimes there are other paths to success.

On the other hand, I will give you, that if you want to be a successful slave, a wage slave, college is great. But if you really want to be successful, and have a free mind, if you are really driven. . . Nothing can hold you back, that is the point. Schooling is typically only a hindrance. Self-starters get what education they need, and pieces of paper only when foolish people demand them.

8 Hugely Successful People Who Didn't Graduate College
8 Hugely Successful People Who Didn't Graduate College
"1. Steve Jobs
1439921291_steve-jobs-ipad-.jpg

<snip>
2. Richard Branson
1439921381_richards-branson-on-stairs.jpg

<snip>
3. Dave Thomas
1439921631_dave-thomas-wendys-.jpg

<snip>
4. David Green
1439921802_david-green-hobby-lobby.jpg

<snip>

5. Larry Ellison
1439921996_larry-ellison-oracle.jpg

<snip>

6. Kevin Rose
1439922143_kevin-rose-google-hodinkee.jpg

<snip>

7. Michael Dell
1439922324_michael-dell-dell-computers.jpg

<snip>

8. Rachael Ray

1439923037_rachel-ray-team-rachel.jpg

<snip>

Final thoughts
The moral of the story? A driven personality always finds a way. An education can either be a stepping stone or a road block on the path to achievement. If education proves to be an obstacle, those with an entrepreneurial spirit will push it aside and go their own chosen route.

Today, in the information age, there are many ways to learn and develop the skills you need to become a successful entrepreneur. Homeschooling may be a worthwhile option for many, especially if you have the desire to learn at your own pace, or if you have kids that are ambitious and independent thinkers."

(Just a few excerpts)

Top 100 Entrepreneurs Who Made Millions Without A College Degree
Top 100 Entrepreneurs Who Made Millions Without A College Degree

"Abraham Lincoln, lawyer, U.S. president. Finished one year of formal schooling, self-taught himself trigonometry, and read Blackstone on his own to become a lawyer.

Andrew Jackson, U.S. president, general, attorney, judge, congressman. Home-schooled. Became a practicing attorney by the age of 35 – without a formal education.

Benjamin Franklin, inventor, scientist, author, entrepreneur. Primarily home-schooled.

Debbi Fields, founder of Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chippery. Later renamed, franchised, then sold Mrs. Field’s Cookies.

Frank Lloyd Wright, the most influential architect of the twentieth century. Never attended high school.

George Eastman, multimillionaire inventor, Kodak founder. Dropped out of high school.

H. Wayne Huizenga, founder of WMX garbage company, helped build Blockbuster video chain. Joined the Army out of high school, and later went to college only to drop out during his first year.

James Cameron, Oscar-winning director, screenwriter, and producer. Dropped out of college.

Kemmons Wilson, multimillionaire, founder of Holiday Inn. High school dropout.

Ray Kroc, founder of McDonald’s. Dropped out of high school.

Rush Limbaugh, multi-millionaire media mogul, radio talk show host. Dropped out of college.

Thomas Edison, inventor of the light bulb, phonograph, and more. Primarily home-schooled, then joined the railroad when he was only 12.

W. Clement Stone, multimillionaire insurance man, author, founder of Success magazine. Dropped out of elementary school. Later attended high school, graduating. Attended but did not finish college.

Walt Disney, founder of the Walt Disney Company. Dropped out of high school at 16."

Less than two dozen people and most over a hundred years ago.
And no one teaches themselves trigonometry unless someone else taught them math previously.

I wonder how many of those people started out earning their money the old fashioned way, they inherited it. Like Donald Trump and Mitt Romney and John McCain?

Anyone who says education is not needed is both delusional and insane.

Self taught is still taught. And I have never met a "self taught" person who was actually self taught. They got their foundation from someone. Someone showed them what the letter "a" is and how it's followed by "b". No one "just knows".

I love the example of Steve Jobs. Did he actually design the first Apple or was it designed by Steve Wozniak, Bill Fernandez, people who had technical educations and worked at companies like Hewlett-Packard?

Jobs was a good salesman who relied on other people's degrees. Oop! Who knew?

TY for saying that. You hit the key themes of what was to be Part II of my response to MisterBeale's post.
Wozniak never finished college, and Fernandez never went. You both prove MY point. Dolts, both of you. Jobs, Wozniak, and Fernandez, that is what I am getting at. For true success, University is just an illusion.

Self-taught might be still taught, but that is not what we are discussing, we are discussing college and University. I am not arguing against being educated, I am arguing about the necessary need of being indoctrinated and brainwashed, which clearly, some folks in this thread are.

You are under the illusion that it is pieces of paper, diplomas, degrees and certificates that make folks economically viable, it isn't. KSA's and experience that make them valuable.

There is a difference between education and schooling. Learn that difference. A person needs education, they do not need schooling.
This discussion with you is boring me now. Not because the topic in the abstract is dull, for it is not. No, I'm bored with this discussion because despite my having indulged you enough to watch that so-called documentary and read your "points," you're not having a discussion with me; you're "talking" at me and barraging me with the same f*cking remarks. You're, in other words, delivering one soliloquy of unsubstantiated conclusions after another that, apparently, you think will by repetition gain merit. To wit...

During this contretemps, I've quoted multiple specific premises (providing timestamp references to the claims in the video) presented in the video you posted as a surrogate for your own prose expressing your ideas, and I provided empirically clear evidence that repeatedly the notions expressed in the video are founded on specious information/perceptions. Among those specious premises and implied premises are:
I've with verifiably irrefutable data/evidence and sound analysis of that evidence addressed each of the above noted premises and intermediate conclusions presented in the video you posted, whereas you've, in contrast, not offered a single specific refutation of any of the facts I presented that show the porosity of the video's, thus your, claims/conclusions. Neither have you instead allowed that the video's principal conclusions, thus yours that to theirs map, rest on untruths the NIA spun into a porcine fable "which artificed olive lips hath thee kissed afore by thine own squeals thou'st petard hoist."

Previously Unaddressed-by-me Element Invalidating Another of the the Video's Claims:
Hyperinflation
There's the matter of the video's/NIA's inflammatory claim about hyperinflation, all the while presuming viewers know what hyperinflation is.
The video claims the increase in tuition prices and its attendant increase in student loan debt, the average sum of which they put at $24K and declare is the equivalent of a home mortgage, will produce hyperinflation in the U.S.
The fact is that one does not need a degree in economics to see the video did none of those thing, or anything else to support its claim about hyperinflation.​

As though that weren't enough, you bid us (strictly, young people, but who the hell would recommend to someone else a video they haven't watched) to watch and think carefully about the points made in an hour-long video. For as long as my posts have been, something that occasionally people gripe about, not one has ever come close to having a one-hour estimated reading time. (And one cannot watch a video faster than the video plays.)

Oh, and also there is this:

Wozniak never finished college, and Fernandez never went. You both prove MY point.

In a nation comprised of hundreds of millions of individuals, that two, two hundred or even 20K individuals have achieved on the scale that Wozniak and Fernandez did illustrates only that the exceptional is possible. Although it's nice to know that and mildly encouraging to see, nobody ever thought or so much as implied that such be not possible.

It takes neither great acumen nor prudence to know that for every "rule" there are exceptions. It takes some sagacity to know whether to expect one will be or is exceptional, be so to the good or not. And it takes sagacity, ability, acumen and more to be exceptional. Add innovativeness to that set of qualities, and one will rise to the pinnacle of economic success. People like the several super-successful ones you specified have all of those qualities and were, no matter what path upon which they embarked, would have reached extreme financial success.

I should probably here say that it seems by the tenor of your remarks and examples that for you, one is successful only if one pursues a "maverick" path that leads to billionaire-grade riches. While the maverick's way is one way to success, for most people, it's a far riskier way. There's nothing wrong with taking the riskier approach. Regardless of the approach one takes, one must also assume the risk accompanying it.

I am arguing about the necessary need of being indoctrinated and brainwashed

Well, with whom do you think you are arguing? Perhaps you should introduce us to your imaginary friend with whom you're having that conversation.

Neither I nor anybody I know or know of, not even brainwashers like Jim Jones and Kim Jung Un, has ever argued that there is a need for being "indoctrinated and brainwashed." And you've not even come close to proving that anyone has been "indoctrinated and brainwashed." The closest you've gotten to it is making the empty and unsubstantiated claim quoted just above.

You are under the illusion that it is pieces of paper, diplomas, degrees and certificates that make folks economically viable,

No, I'm not.

There again you've conjured some sh*t in your mind and ascribed it to me.

KSA's and experience that make them valuable.

I agree with that statement.

There is a difference between education and schooling. Learn that difference. A person needs education, they do not need schooling.

Whatever education and/or schooling you've obtained was obviously insufficient to provide you with the KSAs needed to recognize the myriad insufficiencies I in the first part of this post pointed out about that video. Accordingly, one sees that whatever approach you used needs modifying.

You know Xelor, I have a lot of respect for you, and you are one of the most intelligent posters on this site. I don't really take a whole lot of issue with anything you have posted.

I think one of my biggest beefs with it all is, if you can't get across what you need to say at say, a ninth grade level or so, it is pretty much useless to the membership.

At the last forum I was at, such posts might have been appreciated, and I personally had no problem with your post, and found it to be not too objectionable. For the upper-middle, and upper classes, everything you posted was, for the most part, true.

That said, we are never going to agree on the truth of the matter for the middle classes and lower middle classes. I have researched the average IQ, the number of those leaving University with degrees, and the lack of jobs for those with degrees. I also am aware of how folks get jobs, what it entails with unpaid internships, and the ability of the poor and middle class to get experience and travel the world, having connections to get those jobs.

I can tell from your posts, that your son did not take out any loans for his education. His job prospects were waiting for him though contacts established through family, friends and networking that is unavailable to the lower classes. You are what is spoken of when the disenfranchised talk about, "white privilege" or the elites classes. The problem with educational costs is not a problem for the establishment.

The banking sector and government likes to have the younger generation start life in debt for the first fifteen to twenty years of it's life, and you don't really give a shit because it doesn't affect your family.

So don't give me your wall of texts telling me how it is a good thing that the system is organized this way.

We will never agree on this.

I have a lot of respect for you

Thank you.

I don't really take a whole lot of issue with anything you have posted.

Okay.

one of my biggest beefs with it all is, if you can't get across what you need to say at say, a ninth grade level or so, it is pretty much useless to the membership.

Seriously? You've been objecting to my remarks in this thread, in part, because in your estimation, they are "not useful to the membership" and are not written at about a "ninth grade level?"

Let me be clear about some things:
  • My primary purpose for joining this site and participating here was to determine whether the remarks a friend shared about it were indeed accurate. Provided I can rely on the remarks members here express being indeed how they view "stuff," that goal has largely been achieved, unless there are a lot of members who post ideas and imply/attest to having bases for those ideas solely for the sake of posting/sharing them, to be "entertaining" to either themselves or others. Obviously, I have no way to tell credibly whether that's so and to what extent it may be so for posts made in the "serious" sections of the forum (e.g., not the Rubber Room, Flame Zone, Badlands, Humor, etc.).
  • My secondary purpose is to debate/discuss matters of public policy with a community of people of integrity, the majority of whom, presumably, are different from the people in my own socioeconomic cohort.
  • Of the two general classes of rhetorical purposes, being informative is not my primary one. [1] Of course, in a discussion, one may share credible information that is unknown to (some/all) other parties to the discussion, and when that happens, those people become informed. That said, I don't have an overtly altruistic purpose for participating here. I also don't have a partisan purpose for posting here.

For some reason, a couple members have asserted that I get paid to post here. Perhaps some members are thus paid. I'm not. Frankly, were I of a mind to advance a partisan perspective, I'd take a highly paid job at a PAC or or other political party organization. I don't belong to any political party, but I am politically active and discursive with a few politicians. The arguments I present here are the same one's I present to/discuss with them/their appropriate policy aide. [2]
  • FWIW, I do not here voluntarily entreat for discussions with ninth graders or any other individual(s) who's not mastered the lessons (English, history, math, science, etc.) taught in or before high school. I'm happy to share insights with minors who solicit it, and when I know I'm specifically responding to a minor, I will keep that in mind when composing my remarks.

I'm aware that my natural writing and speaking styles at times are not "ninth grade" level. I'm also aware that just as it may be burdensome for "ninth graders" to comprehend my remarks, it's burdensome for me to tailor my writing to a "ninth grade" level. The words and sentence structures you see here are the same ones I use "all the time." The thing is that for the major posts I've made in yours and my "back and forth," the writing is on the ninth grade level. See for yourself: Measure the Readability of Text - Text Analysis Tools - Unique readability tools to improve your writing! Readable.io.
    • Post 17 has an eighth grade reading level.
    • Post 13 and 34 have a 7th grade reading level
Note:
  1. On rare occasion I post with the intent of being informative rather than discursive or forensical. It's easy to identify those instances: the only thing I post is a link, or perhaps a link with a remark such as "maybe this will be helpful/informative."
  2. About a year and a half ago, I sent a letter requesting input of a high ranking elected federal official (we'd met, but we have no relationship of any sort). I asked him to justify/explain/identify the normative policies/legislative provisions he felt necessary to mitigate, for "typical" income Americans, the unavoidable tax incidence downsides that accompany the protectionist tax provisions/policy he'd been advocating.

In, his first reply, the man stated that he didn't know anything about tax incidence and its downsides, and committed to passing my question to his tax/economic policy aide and that individual would respond on his behalf. He did as he promised and a couple days later, the aide replied. The substance of the reply was that the voters say they want, so it's what he'll try to give them.

I replied asking, "Just as the official didn't understand the incidence of tax and where it falls depending on the nature of supply and demand curves, doesn't it stand to reason that "typical" American also doesn't?" His reply: It doesn't matter that they don't know; they want what they want. I replied again asking whether he felt part of his job entails, as part of an effort to be sure that people want those policies even though they know their impacts, fully informing his constituents of the consequences of what they're demanding? He said no, indicating (1) that is part of the opposition's job and, in effect, (2) that caveat emptor applies as much to the process of selecting for whom to vote as it does with selecting consumer goods. I thanked him for his candid feedback and the exchange ended.

What else was there for me to say? The official sees his role as that of executing the public's will. I see public officials' role as that of (1) helping the public make good decisions and (2) then executing on the fully informed decisions the public makes. That's a core difference -- one of degrees, for I think the onuses on democratically elected leaders are greater than he does -- is in principle. Both principles are valid, but, in the main, they are also mutually exclusive. I had no desire to try altering the extent of them man's core principles about governance and leadership.

I an fine with allowing people to make "bad" decisions, but I don't cotton to letting them to make "bad" decisions as a consequence of being inadequately informed. That I am of that mind is why I didn't pursue a career in politics. You see how people here respond to what seems to them didacticism even though the content is presented not to instruct or inform, but to support an assertion. Surely you can foresee the disdain the general public would express toward an individual who is purposefully didactic.
I also am aware of how folks get jobs, what it entails with unpaid internships, and the ability of the poor and middle class to get experience and travel the world, having connections to get those jobs.

A few thoughts and a fact:

I can tell from your posts, that your son did not take out any loans for his education.

You are correct, but that he didn't is relevant only to him and me.

His job prospects were waiting for him though contacts established through family, friends and networking that is unavailable to the lower classes.

That is something you've assumed about my son. It is an inaccurate assumption.
  • How did he get his job? By applying for and earning an internship at a firm that offered him a position as a result of his performance as an intern.
  • How did he find the internships to which he applied and in response was in some instances offered the internship? He went onto the Internet and "googled" for internships at the firms where he wanted to work. For example:
  • My kids' achievements derive from their being of high integrity, committed, bright and capable, not from their happening to have a father who can, in some instances, "open doors" and "grease wheels." I didn't do their studying for them. I did not sit for their exams in school. I didn't tell them what to pursue (on a "life level") and what not to.

I told my kids to pursue whatever interests them and be as good as it is possible to be in doing so. For some disciplines, they, like me, had to work very hard to be "as good as it is possible to be." Others they variously took to like fish to water. For instance, my daughter is brilliant at learning languages; I and my sons can learn them just as well as she does, but nowhere near as readily as she. We have to work hard to learn a new language; she does not. Be that as it may, my kids, like everyone, are lazy enough that they are pursuing careers that take advantage of the KSAs that come most readily to them.

I did the same. At various points in my youth, I wanted to be, among other things, an:
    • Attorney --> I hated studying the law. How did I find that out? I took a course on economics and the law. A lot of the required reading was legal case summaries and decisions. I occasionally found a case here or there interesting to read about, but mostly that reading was among the best sleep aids I've encountered.
    • Designer (fashion or industrial) -- I knew that was going nowhere because it was painfully clear to me that my dog had more applied art skill than I did.
    • Doctor -- I hated chemistry. I hated organic chemistry even more. So much for being a doctor. Does that mean I couldn't grasp chemistry? No. It means I had to work for hours more to do so than I did for economics and business assignments.
  • I know what internship offer he accepted. I know of some but not all the firms to which he applied for internships. At the start of his sophomore year, I suggested he look into applying for internships. Until he called to ask what I knew about the two firms that offered him internships, I didn't know whether he'd heeded my advice.

Had he applied for an internship at my firm and I knew of it, yes, he'd have gotten it. He applied to intern at my firm, but he sent the application to an office other than HQ or my local office, and he didn't tell me about it. We didn't give him an offer. I don't know why; I didn't bother to ask the people with whom he interviewed because he got offers from other firms and was happy with them.

He didn't apply to the D.C. or HQ office because he wanted to spend the summer in the town where his then-girlfriend lived. He also didn't because he and his siblings know how I feel about people asking for help when they've made no or only meager efforts to help themselves. He knew he'd have gotten the internship had he asked for it, but he also knew I'd have held him accountable for having done so -- "My God, boy. Where would you be now had I not given you that internship?" My kids don't like hearing that sort of thing from me and I don't like having to say it.

My kids are over 18; they're adults. I have no ability to order them to do things. Following my advice is a conscious choice they make. If they follow my advice, I'm willing to bear some (not most) of the burden if things don't pan out as I'd said they would.

That's no longer the case for my oldest son. He's "in the world" and, like all mature and responsible adults, fending for himself now. He is now the full and sole owner of his decisions. He wouldn't have it any other way, and that he wouldn't is among the things I'm quite proud regarding the way his mother and I raised him.
So I bid you to refrain from telling me what are and are not the realities in my and my kids' lives that led to our being in the situations we today find ourselves.

The problem with educational costs is not a problem for the establishment.

You're roughly correct. The reason you are is not the one(s) I suspect you think it is. The cost isn't a problem for anyone who's committed to not letting it be a problem for, as I showed in post 17, there are plenty of excellent schools in most every, if not every, state that do not cost the kind of money that necessitates one's taking out hundreds of thousands in college loans.

I suspect too that you didn't thoroughly and objectively consider/evaluate the legitimacy of my post-17 remarks that identified multiple of the many strategies any middle class or better off person/family -- no matter their social or economic situation -- may pursue to mitigate the impact of cost of a college education. I suspect that because had you, you'd have been able to refute them or concur with my assertion that the existence of those attenuating tactics are available to and work for all but the poorest among us.

I've acknowledged that less well off folks must, more so than relatively wealthy folks, be more diligent and innovative about choosing an approach to matriculating through K-12 schooling and, if they opt to go to college, determining what institutions they'll attend/apply to.

the less of an "already paved way" one has upon entering high school and college, the more necessary it is for one to be top (not "near top," top) performer, that is in the top 5% of one's graduating class.

As goes higher education, wealth merely allows one to go, say, to Middlebury if one gains admittance to it. Non-wealthy folks, in contrast, can go there if they receive a suitable financial aid package. If one cannot afford Middlebury, go somewhere that one can afford. Upon starting high school, one and one's parents were well aware that one is not "made of money." Accordingly, one had to have known that one must perform highly in high school -- which for some classes may mean working much harder to do so and for others enjoying the fact of one's innate facility with the subject matter -- so that gaining admittance to a high quality low cost school is not an option that one has, by dint of one's low-to-mediocre academic performance, ruled out.

Quite simply, if one doesn't have the luxury of financial wealth, the time to start putting in the effort to be a top performer is the first day of 9th grade. Now, one can say that sucks or whatever, but that it does has no bearing on its nonetheless being so. In a timely manner, one either recognizes and rises to the challenge(s) of their circumstances or one one does not.

As I implied earlier (post 13 or 71, but I don't recall which), an aid package that calls for one to assume hundreds of thousands in college loans does not fit my definition of "suitable financial aid package." Up to $40K that needs to be paid back over 10 years does fit that definition given the salaries that most college-requiring entry level jobs pay. (Some careers/professions don't pay enough for $40K to be reasonable -- teaching being one -- but individuals going into teaching can get their loan debt waived.)

It seems to me that what you're decrying is the fact that poorer people, in contrast to rich ones, cannot make as many mistakes or the same kind of mistakes and suffer only minor or no "life level" consequences as a result of their mistakes/poor choices. Well, that is a fact of human existence that's been so for every human that's ever lived in a competitive society.

The banking sector and government likes to have the younger generation start life in debt for the first fifteen to twenty years of it's life, and you don't really give a shit because it doesn't affect your family.

(See the remarks above.)

Banks certainly like loaning money. It's what they do, but there is no conspiracy whereby people are by banks or governments compelled to assume crippling sums of debt. Nobody forces, say, individuals who want to be social workers to take $50K-$100K in school loans. People who want to be nutritionists should know better than assume such debt given the pay scales in social work.

don't give me your wall of texts

You have some gall. For all your griping over what you call my "walls of text," the fact of the matter is that none of them takes an hour to read, yet it took an hour to watch the video you posted and that I had to watch to in order to discuss its content. If you avail yourself of the "readability score" tool to which I linked, or if you'd have read them, you'd find that the longest of my posts in this thread takes an average reader about 15 minutes to read. In other words, one could read the content I've posted in all three of my "long posts" (prior to this one; I haven't myself checked it against the tool or straight-through read it) in less time than it'd take to watch the bias-confirming, conspiracy-theory advancing video you advise watching.

...You mean the American Tradesmen who traded away their union protections years ago? ...
Yep.

At least they're our people, not Illegal Aliens.

...Here's the thing. We are a country of immigrants...
Nope.

A century-and-a-half ago, we were a nation of immigrants... jobs for anyone who could get here... 75,000,000... plenty of room to grow.

Today, we are a nation of the descendants of immigrants....we can't keep our own employed... the land's all divided-up... 300,000,000+... we're full-up.

...Until we take on the employers who hire them, chasing after some kid who was brought here by his parents is cruel.
Irrelevant... out they go.

Watching the anguish of Illegal Alien parents, who thought they'd put one over on the American People, will be reason enough to proceed.

Those sneaky bastards should have thought of that before dragging their kids onto United States soil without our express prior or continued consent.

Allowing them to stay would be rewarding the actions and fulfilling the plans of Illegal Aliens who brought those kids here specifically for that purpose.

Looks like their plans backfired, after all, despite their collective arrogance and self-delusion that once they were "in", that they could not be made to leave.

The elimination of DACA sends a very clear and profound message to those foreigners still contemplating such a sneaking approach in future.

The irony of this is, that, being a Nation of Laws, this is no more than a long-overdue return to the enforcement of United States immigration law.

Beautiful.

Payback's a cast-iron bitch, ain't it?
tongue_smile.gif

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Trespasser are trespassers no matter how they got here.

The immigration laws of this country should not be allowed to be comprised just because some Mexican bitch swims across the Rio Grande and dumps her kid on our welfare system.

It was also illegal for Obama to allow the flood of those little shitheads, many of them gang bangers. Shame on him. He only did it to get more non Whites into this country expecting them to vote Democrat in the future. Despicable!

Good for Trump for doing the right thing.

You see, I'm of hte opinion we should deport any asshole who flies a confederate flag, since they hate this country to start with.

Here's the thing. Watch for the REpbulican Congress to pass a law that makes DACA the law of the land, because even they know it will be chaos.

Nope.

A century-and-a-half ago, we were a nation of immigrants... jobs for anyone who could get here... 75,000,000... plenty of room to grow.

Today, we are a nation of the descendants of immigrants....we can't keep our own employed... the land's all divided-up... 300,000,000+... we're full-up.

You see, this is where I have to kind of conclude you are stupid. It's not a zero sum game. Yes, we have 11 million undocumented immigrants here, but they are also 11 million consumers! You know people who buy things that other people have to make or sell!

Irrelevant... out they go.

Watching the anguish of Illegal Alien parents, who thought they'd put one over on the American People, will be reason enough to proceed.

if you are a cruel, mean-spirited person. FUck, dude, why not go all out, and waterboard these kids while their parents watch. Don't be shy, show your true colors.

So we've established you are stupid and cruel. What else?

Allowing them to stay would be rewarding the actions and fulfilling the plans of Illegal Aliens who brought those kids here specifically for that purpose.

Looks like their plans backfired, after all, despite their collective arrogance and self-delusion that once they were "in", that they could not be made to leave.

You really think they were thinking that far ahead? They came here for the same reason your ancestors did- for opportunity.

So we can now add paranoid to cruel and stupid.

Forum List

Back