English as the Official Language

If English became our official language.....

The lady behind you in the supermarket would still be yelling at her kids in Spanish
The guy at the gas station with a turban would still blabber to his buddy in Pakistani
You would still have to press 1 for English

All it does is force some obscure government forms to be printed in English

But at least they would eventually be able to speak English...

I could care less if others want to speak another language just as long as they know English..

I've had it with kids having to translate for their parents and I've had it when I ask someone a question and all they say is "no speak English."

English should be mandatory for immigrants...

Besides, it's not like most countries don't make basic English a mandatory lesson in their public schools...

As a hockey fan and a regular chatter on hockey message boards I talk to people all over the world and their English grammar is impeccable despite it being their second language. So I don't understand how one could not speak English..

Bizarre, really bizarre

You are indeed the ugly american

He's an idiot, but he's not here anymore.

I find it silly that English is not the official language of the US. And we can't get an Act of Congress to make it so.

Then you understand nothing about the history and traditions of the United States.

Immigrants are smarter than you on this issue.

But at least they would eventually be able to speak English...

I could care less if others want to speak another language just as long as they know English..

I've had it with kids having to translate for their parents and I've had it when I ask someone a question and all they say is "no speak English."

English should be mandatory for immigrants...

Besides, it's not like most countries don't make basic English a mandatory lesson in their public schools...

As a hockey fan and a regular chatter on hockey message boards I talk to people all over the world and their English grammar is impeccable despite it being their second language. So I don't understand how one could not speak English..

Bizarre, really bizarre

You are indeed the ugly american

He's an idiot, but he's not here anymore.

What ever happened to Mr Nick?

He was an original

Rep. Steve King of Iowa spoke yesterday in support of a bill he introduced a year ago to make English the official language of the US. As most probably know, we do not now have an official language.

Michigan Rep. John Conyers gave his rebuttal in less-than-perfect Spanish.

The notion of an ‘official language’ is just as un-Constitutional now as it was in 2012.

And the notion of an ‘official language’ has always been ignorant, hateful bigotry and racism.

Indeed, nothing could be more un-American.

Rep. Steve King of Iowa spoke yesterday in support of a bill he introduced a year ago to make English the official language of the US. As most probably know, we do not now have an official language.

English has so many flaws I suggest we implement Arabic or Spanish :)

The notion of an ‘official language’ is just as un-Constitutional now as it was in 2012.

And the notion of an ‘official language’ has always been ignorant, hateful bigotry and racism.

Indeed, nothing could be more un-American.
Where does the Constitution bar the establishment of an official language?

Spanish is sexith! Arabic is just hideous.

Arabic is the most complete language on earth I beg you to ask linguists.
1. It is a lot older than English, kept same rules and grammar.
2. It has a you for male and female.
3. When someone says my aunt or uncle in English you have to explain of he is from your dad side or mom side...in Arabic we have a distinguished word foe each one, even for cousins :).
4. One Arabic word can translate a whole English phrase :).
5. Arabic language is very rich, can indicate singular, dual, plural (3 or more), masculine, feminine, other creatures, things، and magnitude of synonyms…
Qnd so much more...I'm fluent in 4 languages and Arabic is the most complete and fascinating one.
And dont for her that english has lot of Arabic words also :)
Chemistry, al habra, admiral, coffee, alcohol, and hundreds more. ....leaaarn.

Giving a language official status helps to protect it. Its generally a good thing if people can converse in their language of choice. The US can have as many official languages as it wants and should work to protect those indigenous languages that are under threat.
Having just one official language is oppressive and authoritarian.

Defnyddio gwasanaethau’r llywodraeth yn Gymraeg

3. When someone says my aunt or uncle in English you have to explain of he is from your dad side or mom side...in Arabic we have a distinguished word foe each one, even for cousins :).
5. Arabic language is very rich, can indicate singular, dual, plural (3 or more), masculine, feminine, other creatures, things، and magnitude of synonyms…
Qnd so much more...I'm fluent in 4 languages and Arabic is the most complete and fascinating one.
Maybe Arabic is the most complete language on Earth but is really really hard to learn! :206:

Maybe Arabic is the most complete language on Earth but is really really hard to learn! :206:
It also sounds hideous. When people speak Arabic, they always sound like they're trying to hack up some phlegm.

Nothing is hard if you put your mind into it. I speak 4 languages fluently and where I'm from is not that impressive unless if you speak 5 or 6.

It also sounds hideous. When people speak Arabic, they always sound like they're trying to hack up some phlegm.
It sounds strange for us because our languages are so different from Arabic! :)

There would, of course, be Constitutional challenges to such a law in terms of due process and equal protection.
Proper and effective communication is an important government interest.

:dunno:

I think it was Washington v. Davis that nailed this point home on Police Officers needing to speak proper English to be effective. Could be wrong.

The Supreme Court held that under the Constitution's Equal Protection Clause, "a law or other official act, without regard to whether it reflects a racially discriminatory purpose, [is not] unconstitutional solely because it has a racially disproportionate impact." A plaintiff must prove discriminatory motive on the part of the state actor to receive redress under the Constitution, not just discriminatory impact. It held a "disproportionate impact is not irrelevant, but it is not the sole touchstone of an invidious racial discrimination forbidden by the Constitution." The Court also examined whether Test 21 had a discriminatory effect. After applying the disparate impact analysis, it held that Test 21 did not have a discriminatory effect on blacks. The Court held that the Court of Appeals had erroneously assumed that the stricter, effects-based "disparate impact" test, under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, existed under the Constitution's Equal Protection Clause as well. The Court pointed out that Washington, DC, police department had gone to significant lengths to recruit black officers. In the years since the case was brought before the trial court, the ratio of blacks on the police force to blacks in the community had nearly evened out.

Washington v. Davis - Wikipedia

It doesn't sound strange. It sounds gross. You have to make sounds that are indistinguishable from the sounds you make when you're trying to hack up some phlegm. I don't know many people who enjoy listening to that sound.

It doesn't sound strange. It sounds gross. You have to make sounds that are indistinguishable from the sounds you make when you're trying to hack up some phlegm. I don't know many people who enjoy listening to that sound.
Lol that's what english sounds to those who dont know it. Add that to ignorance and racism that plagues you and you will of course find it gross :).
English has thousands of Arabic words I challenge you not to use those words :).

Forum List

Back