Expanded background checks fails in Senate

Uh...hey dumbshit, the Justice Department (a Federal agency), directed private FFL dealers to sell firearms to known straw purchasers...and then neglected to trace them. The dealers did their job and ran a background check. The Feds put those firearms into the hands of criminals, not the dealers.

So, these "known straw purchasers": They had been previously convicted of straw purchase crimes?

this is something 90+ americans wanted.

who exactly does the republican party represent?

do they actually think they can cheat enough in elections to thwart 90% of the peoples votes?

Millions of Americans called their representatives to vote against this monster your fictitious 90 is wrong.

Not to a prohibited person.

I think Fast and Furious was a botched attempted means of advancing a political end through illegal acts by law enforcement.

Certainly it can be sold to a prohibited person.

What would possibly stop such a sale?

If a law exists, but is unenforceable, than it is nothing but words on paper.

And whatever you think of the motivations for Fast and Furious, ("Motivations" which would be completely un-provable, in any case) requiring background checks would have negated the reason for the whole operation.

AND would have made absolutely sure that the rather unfortunate result (sales of weapons to Mexican Cartels) would never happen again.

So, to express outrage over F&F and then not allow this bill to pass is pretty much the ultimate in utter hypocrisy.

How can you express outrage that the government allowed straw purchases to criminals, and then block legislation that would stop straw purchases to criminals from happening???

Federal law stops it.

Its enforceable.

The legislation today didnt block straw purchases, those are already illegal.

A gun manufacturer must sell through an FFL who can't sell without a background check. The already illegality of selling to or possession of a gun by the prohibited persons you name nothwithstanding.

Once a firearm has been purchased by a private citizen, that person can sell it to someone else without being under any legal obligation to conduct a background check prior to reselling the weapon. True or false?

It is still against the law to sell to a prohibited person. True or False ?

Can you point to even one prosecution of a private citizen who sold a gun to another private citizen who would have otherwise failed a background check if one had been conducted but wasn't done because it was not a legal requirement?

More innocent Americans will die because of right wing stupidity, many of them innocent children.

Many innocent children have died because of gun free zones.
Many children have died because of gun control
Maybe if you anti gunners will wake up we can prevent more deaths by doing it the pro gun way.

during the one minute speech for the magazine ban

the speaker said that

we need to ban large magazines because the cops are

"out gunned" because of the criminal

if this true

the honest law abiding folks as well would be " out gunned" by the criminal

had the amendment passed

since criminals by nature do not obey laws

Can you point to even one prosecution of a private citizen who sold a gun to another private citizen who would have otherwise failed a background check if one had been conducted but wasn't done because it was not a legal requirement?

Nope. Sad isnt it ? Enforcing the existing law would really go a long way.

Not to a prohibited person.

I think Fast and Furious was a botched attempted means of advancing a political end through illegal acts by law enforcement.

Certainly it can be sold to a prohibited person.

What would possibly stop such a sale?

If a law exists, but is unenforceable, than it is nothing but words on paper.

And whatever you think of the motivations for Fast and Furious, ("Motivations" which would be completely un-provable, in any case) requiring background checks would have negated the reason for the whole operation.

AND would have made absolutely sure that the rather unfortunate result (sales of weapons to Mexican Cartels) would never happen again.

So, to express outrage over F&F and then not allow this bill to pass is pretty much the ultimate in utter hypocrisy.

How can you express outrage that the government allowed straw purchases to criminals, and then block legislation that would stop straw purchases to criminals from happening???

Federal law stops it.

Its enforceable.

The legislation today didnt block straw purchases, those are already illegal.

Isn't it amazing how stupid people are concerning fast and furious. It was already illegal for the purchases to be made. And the dealers knew it. The ATF ordered them to make the illegal sales. Without the ATF giving that order almost none of those sales would have occurred.

this also proves the clowns on the right we talk to here do no represent more than 10% of the American people

Apparently we represent a majority of the Senate despite your side holding the majority of the seats.

Cry more

Um NO

the bill got more yes than no votes.

the republicans jsut force EVERYTHING to get 60 votes to pass out of 100 senators

That darned Constitution! It's a shame that Obama isn't King or Emperor or Dictator so he can just make everyone do what he wants!

Maybe if you anti gunners will wake up we can prevent more deaths by doing it the pro gun way.

What do background checks have to do with being "anti-gun"?

I believe in universal background checks, and personally, I think every American who is eligible to own a gun, should own a gun.

I'd also like to own an AR-15. Seems like it'd be a fun weapon to have.

But I certainly don't want the child-molesting psychotic murderer down the street to have one.

When someone can show that expanded background checks will stop someone with no criminal history or history of mental illness from getting guns and going on mass killing sprees I will be happy to reconsider my position on them.

do they actually think they can cheat enough in elections to thwart 90% of the peoples votes?

Millions of Americans called their representatives to vote against this monster your fictitious 90 is wrong.

If it's 90% of americans. Why not have a constitutional convention? I'll pass and you will have what you want.

Apparently we represent a majority of the Senate despite your side holding the majority of the seats.

Cry more

Um NO

the bill got more yes than no votes.

the republicans jsut force EVERYTHING to get 60 votes to pass out of 100 senators

That darned Constitution! It's a shame that Obama isn't King or Emperor or Dictator so he can just make everyone do what he wants!

the night is not over yet

i heard the prezbo plans to speak to the nation shortly

on gun control

When someone can show that expanded background checks will stop someone with no criminal history or history of mental illness from getting guns and going on mass killing sprees I will be happy to reconsider my position on them.

Look at our cities that have high murder rates. Most of them have strict gun control laws but it doesn't stop the bad guys...Same thing that occurs with booze early in the 20th century or hard drugs.

Last edited:

The 90 % is deceitful, they added in those who wanted the mentally ill in background checks only, not more background checks in general.

What do background checks have to do with being "anti-gun"?

I believe in universal background checks, and personally, I think every American who is eligible to own a gun, should own a gun.

I'd also like to own an AR-15. Seems like it'd be a fun weapon to have.

But I certainly don't want the child-molesting psychotic murderer down the street to have one.

Define "universal" background checks.

Do you mean Federally Mandated Nationwide, every state must comply, background checks?

Do you think that States do not have a say in their own methods?

sure lot of people want background checks

they however are not willing to put up with

the other bs in the bill

Forum List

Back