FAIL- Electric Car Sales Plunge To 4 Year Lows

Lifting the front wheels is a clear indication of stored energy.

It also removes all ability to steer the vehicle.

So far, in an effort to demean the Tesla Model S, you have compared it to a high end luxury sedan that costs around $150k. But the Porsche Panamera goes 0-60 in 3.3 seconds, and only in the turbo model. Pricier than the Tesla.

And then you wanted to compare the Tesla's performance to dragsters? Like people are going to drive dragsters on teh streets?

And a Gremlin?? Yes, you may be able to hotrod a gremlin into something, but only the Pacer is laughed at more than the gremlin.

Apple to apples, the Tesla is an excellent high-end sedan with phenomenal performance.

No...I compared it to fast street cars. Yes, this Mustang (capable of 9-second 1/4 mile runs) IS a street car!

10-20STSSWINNERHUBER.jpg

My Gremlin ran mid-10's, and would have run faster (probably a 10-flat) if not for my preference to use a 4-speed. I built it simply because I wanted the lightest available chassis. With a 401 engine, a blower, and an NHRA rollcage, the car was ~2700lbs.

My 97 geo metro gets better gas milage than a hybrid it cost 1000$ in mint shape, easy and cheap to repair it spent most of its years towed behind a motorhome

But it's a METRO. My wife had one...and unlike the Festiva it replaced (which was a truly fun car to drive), it did nothing well.

Yes, they very much exist.

Incentives for Plug-in Hybrids and Electric Cars PluginCars.com

If the gov't knocks 7500 off the price of a car because its an electric, that's the gov't interfering with free market.

A tax incentive is the same as a subsidy. It artificially deflates the price of a car.

The Tesla Model S P85D costs $105,000. Do you think there are many people who will pay $97,500, but would not pay $105,000?
I Could buy 105,000 worth of gas for my metro

Indeed you could. Can you seat 5 adults in comfort? And I would hardly call a Metro a luxury car.

sure it came in 4 door
View attachment 40416

I am 6'2" tall. Putting 3 people my size in the back seat of a Metro would be a tight squeeze, at best. And certainly not luxurious. I sat in the backseat of a Tesla and had plenty of legroom, and there is no center hump. Very well appointed luxury car in addition to the high performance and cheaper operating costs.

The Metro is a 4-passenger car.

Want an unbiased review? How about Consumer Reports? Why are they unbiased? They do all their testing in-house. They accept no advertising. They pay for the products they test. And as a not for profit organization, they have no shareholders.

And what did they say about the Tesla Model S? They called it the best car they ever tested.

"There, we said it. The Tesla Model S outscores every other car in our test Ratings."
Video The Tesla Model S is our top-scoring car

If you deny that CR has an agenda and a large GIGO problem, either you do not read the magazine or you are dishonest!

Note that they are BY NO MEANS above rigging a vehicle comparison test.

Last edited:
No but it'll do 0-60 faster 300 miles down the road than the now discharged Tesla. And no, my car is by far cheaper to operate per mile than this monstrosity.

For 75K I can get a 'Vette that will smoke this thing.

Changed it from a Mercedes to a Vette? First of all, the Vette will be guzzling gas and only seat 2 people in half the comfort of the Tesla.

The 2015 Corvette ZO6 has a 0-60 time of 3.1 seconds, and the Corvette ZO7 does it in 3.0. So a dedicated sports car, getting lousy gas mileage and only seating 2 people, can beat the 4 door, 5 passenger, luxury car by a whole 0.2 seconds???

Oh, and if the Vette driver smokes the tires at all he will lose to the Tesla.

Actually, a new Corvette will touch 30MPG on the highway. (Gotta love that double overdrive.)

And forget 0-60...look at the 1/4 mile time & trap speed.

Yet Obama continues to squeeze the coal miners

-Geaux'
======================================

But low oil prices are supposed to be unequivocally good? On the day when Ford lays off 700 Michigan plant workers in small cars and hybrids manufacturing, The Detroit News reports that, according to Edmunds.com, sales of electric cars and hybrids are at the lowest level since 2011. What is even more worrisome, motorists who leased those first-generation cars, and have decided not to buy them, are turning them in, leaving dealer lots full of low mileage cars at huge discounts to new ones. As Edmunds concludes, while "the government's going to keep pushing it, there is time to pause right now."

Low oil prices have not been unequivocally good for these workers... (as Detroit Free Press reports)

Ford said today that it is planning to cut a shift at its Michigan Assembly Plant where it makes the Ford Focus compact car and C-Max crossover because of declining sales of small cars, hybrids and electric vehicles.

The automaker told workers and notified the state of Michigan that it will lay off 700 workers, starting June 22. The decision affects 675 hourly workers and 25 salaried employees who make the Focus, Focus ST, Focus Electric, C-Max hybrid and C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid at the Wayne plant.

The first 200 workers will be laid off in June, another 200 at the end of July and the remainder at the end of September.

Electric Car Sales Plunge To 4 Year Lows Zero Hedge

The only question I have from this thread is where is the car that runs on coal?

In areas where all the electricity is generated by coal, the Teslas can be said to run on coal. At least as much as the "diesel locomotive" runs on diesel.

Not for long. Stay tuned.

Yeah, coal is dying out.
Yes it is, I`m surprised (but shouldn`t be) that some on this board haven`t heard about the natural gas bonanza.

The Tesla Model S P85D costs $105,000. Do you think there are many people who will pay $97,500, but would not pay $105,000?

Indeed you could. Can you seat 5 adults in comfort? And I would hardly call a Metro a luxury car.

sure it came in 4 door
View attachment 40416

I am 6'2" tall. Putting 3 people my size in the back seat of a Metro would be a tight squeeze, at best. And certainly not luxurious. I sat in the backseat of a Tesla and had plenty of legroom, and there is no center hump. Very well appointed luxury car in addition to the high performance and cheaper operating costs.

The Metro has seats for 4. To compare it, as a 4 passenger car, to a well-appointed luxury car is laughable. Compar e Yugo to a Mercedes. They both have steering wheels.

Want an unbiased review? How about Consumer Reports? Why are they unbiased? They do all their testing in-house. They accept no advertising. They pay for the products they test. And as a not for profit organization, they have no shareholders.

And what did they say about the Tesla Model S? They called it the best car they ever tested.

"There, we said it. The Tesla Model S outscores every other car in our test Ratings."
Video The Tesla Model S is our top-scoring car

If you deny that CR has an agenda and a large GIGO problem, either you do not read the magazine or you are dishonest!

Note that they are BY NO MEANS above rigging a vehicle comparison test.

Looking at what CR said, and adding in all the other awards, makes it clear that the Tesla is a remarkable car.

Lifting the front wheels is a clear indication of stored energy.

It also removes all ability to steer the vehicle.

So far, in an effort to demean the Tesla Model S, you have compared it to a high end luxury sedan that costs around $150k. But the Porsche Panamera goes 0-60 in 3.3 seconds, and only in the turbo model. Pricier than the Tesla.

And then you wanted to compare the Tesla's performance to dragsters? Like people are going to drive dragsters on teh streets?

And a Gremlin?? Yes, you may be able to hotrod a gremlin into something, but only the Pacer is laughed at more than the gremlin.

Apple to apples, the Tesla is an excellent high-end sedan with phenomenal performance.

No...I compared it to fast street cars. Yes, this Mustang (capable of 9-second 1/4 mile runs) IS a street car!

10-20STSSWINNERHUBER.jpg

My Gremlin ran mid-10's, and would have run faster (probably a 10-flat) if not for my preference to use a 4-speed. I built it simply because I wanted the lightest available chassis. With a 401 engine, a blower, and an NHRA rollcage, the car was ~2700lbs.

And both the Mustang and your Gremlin have been seriously modified specifically for the drag strip. The Tesla, built as a luxury sedan, managed to do a pretty good job at the 1/4 mile.

"During the run the Tesla Model S P85D set a new world record (verified by NEDRA) for being the quickest and fastest production electric car in the world running 11.6 @ 114.6 MPH down the 1/4 mile with a very impressive 1.65 60′ time. 0-60 MPH came in last just 3.1 seconds during the run as per the VBOX."
Tesla Model S P85D Sets 1 4 Mile World Record While Challenger Hellcat Goes up in Smoke Drag Racing StreetCarDrags.com

But the big thing about the speed is that you get that without having to modify the car, and you still have all the other advantages of the Tesla.

No but it'll do 0-60 faster 300 miles down the road than the now discharged Tesla. And no, my car is by far cheaper to operate per mile than this monstrosity.

Oh, and 300 miles down the road I will have stopped and recharged for free, and then be able to do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds.

And by the time it's done charging me and my car will be hundreds of miles away.

And 15 years from now my car will need, oh thats right, nothing. That thing will need an $8500 battery, if its not more than that by then.

What special training and special tools do rescue workers need for my car? Nothing, jaws of life only. Tesla? A lot of training and special tools because its a VERY dangerous car once wrecked. You ever saw what happens to a li-po battery in a crash?

Oh, and 300 miles down the road I will have stopped and recharged for free, and then be able to do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds.

And by the time it's done charging me and my car will be hundreds of miles away.

And 15 years from now my car will need, oh thats right, nothing. That thing will need an $8500 battery, if its not more than that by then.

What special training and special tools do rescue workers need for my car? Nothing, jaws of life only. Tesla? A lot of training and special tools because its a VERY dangerous car once wrecked. You ever saw what happens to a li-po battery in a crash?

I add a little time to a trip and don't pay for fuel. Works for me.

15 years from now you will have spent how much on oil changes?? Lets say you average 25k miles a year. In 15 years you will have paid for 125 oil changes. If you have it done, and pay an average of $25 per oil change, you're spending $3,125 on oil changes. How about coolant? Flushing your radiator and adding coolant every year? Transmission fluid and servicing the transmission??

You will be spending as much, if not more.

There have been 5 Teslas that caught fire. Not one single injury.

There was a Tesla that crashed into a tree after going thru a brick wall. That car is one of the 5 that caught fire. The driver was fine, and got out of the car and watched as emergency personnel handled the fire.
"...the vehicle impacted a roundabout at 110 mph, shearing off 15 feet of concrete curbwall and tearing off the left front wheel, then smashing through an eight foot tall buttressed concrete wall on the other side of the road and tearing off the right front wheel, before crashing into a tree. The driver stepped out and walked away with no permanent injuries and a fire, again limited to the front section of the vehicle, started several minutes later." from: Tesla Reveals Details on Last Year s Fiery Model S Wreck in Mexico

Going 110 mph, hit with enough force to shear off a wheel, then crashing thru a wall and shearing another wheel off, before crashing into a tree. The driver walked away?? I'll take that kind of hazard.

Nobody cares about EV's.........even in Europe, the sales numbers = fAiL.

By me, we have a mega-car show every Sunday morning.........here on Long Island. About 500 cars show and many are jaw dropping. Classic muscle......tuner cars......exotics........classic roadsters......late model Mustangs, Challengers, 'Vettes...........you name it. Was there again this morning.........one single Tesla S showed up!!:2up::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

Lets face it,.....one look at the sales #'s and you realize Americans hate EV's. EV sales are only a fraction of the number of TRUCKS sold in America.:fu::funnyface::funnyface:

Saw a 1963 Mercedes 300SL today.......most gorgeous car ever made!!!!

That would be misinformation.

The volt battery retails for about $3,000.00

In fifteen years, that battery will cost about $1,300.00 due to improvements in technology.

Last edited:

sure it came in 4 door
View attachment 40416

The Metro has seats for 4. To compare it, as a 4 passenger car, to a well-appointed luxury car is laughable. Compar e Yugo to a Mercedes. They both have steering wheels.

I never actually did that. Would you care for a baseball bat to use on that straw man?

Forum List

Back