FAIL- Electric Car Sales Plunge To 4 Year Lows

Indeed you could. Can you seat 5 adults in comfort? And I would hardly call a Metro a luxury car.
sure it came in 4 door
View attachment 40416

I am 6'2" tall. Putting 3 people my size in the back seat of a Metro would be a tight squeeze, at best. And certainly not luxurious. I sat in the backseat of a Tesla and had plenty of legroom, and there is no center hump. Very well appointed luxury car in addition to the high performance and cheaper operating costs.

The Metro is a 4-passenger car.

The Metro has seats for 4. To compare it, as a 4 passenger car, to a well-appointed luxury car is laughable. Compar e Yugo to a Mercedes. They both have steering wheels.

I never actually did that. Would you care for a baseball bat to use on that straw man?

No, you didn't. But you wanted to compare a Metro to a Tesla. One is a very small economy care and the other is a luxury sedan. That you content that the Tesla fails because it costs more than a Metro is laughable.

No but it'll do 0-60 faster 300 miles down the road than the now discharged Tesla. And no, my car is by far cheaper to operate per mile than this monstrosity.

For 75K I can get a 'Vette that will smoke this thing.

Oh, and 300 miles down the road I will have stopped and recharged for free, and then be able to do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds.

And by the time it's done charging me and my car will be hundreds of miles away.

And 15 years from now my car will need, oh thats right, nothing. That thing will need an $8500 battery, if its not more than that by then.

What special training and special tools do rescue workers need for my car? Nothing, jaws of life only. Tesla? A lot of training and special tools because its a VERY dangerous car once wrecked. You ever saw what happens to a li-po battery in a crash?

That would be misinformation.

The volt battery retails for about $3,000.00

In fifteen years, that battery will cost about $1,300.00 due to improvements in technology.

Not referring to a Volt...dolt!

sure it came in 4 door
View attachment 40416

I am 6'2" tall. Putting 3 people my size in the back seat of a Metro would be a tight squeeze, at best. And certainly not luxurious. I sat in the backseat of a Tesla and had plenty of legroom, and there is no center hump. Very well appointed luxury car in addition to the high performance and cheaper operating costs.

The Metro has seats for 4. To compare it, as a 4 passenger car, to a well-appointed luxury car is laughable. Compar e Yugo to a Mercedes. They both have steering wheels.

I never actually did that. Would you care for a baseball bat to use on that straw man?

No, you didn't. But you wanted to compare a Metro to a Tesla. One is a very small economy care and the other is a luxury sedan. That you content that the Tesla fails because it costs more than a Metro is laughable.

No, I actually didn't. Did you actually READ what I posted?

No, I actually didn't. Did you actually READ what I posted?

My apologies. The Metro was brought into the discussion by someone else. My mistake.

Tesla is a good car, it's in fact a great car, but its an electric with ALL the normal problems that come with an electric. Whether you spend 30K or 130K if its electric its dangerous and the range will be nill compared to any gas vehicle on the road.

And our power grid can't handle a massive number of electrics so they will NEVER catch on.

Last edited:
Tesla is a good car, it's in fact a great car, but its an electric with ALL the normal problems that come with an electric. Whether you spend 30K or 130K if its electric its dangerous and the range will be nill compared to any gas vehicle on the road.

And our power grid can't handle a massive number of electrics so they will NEVER catch on.

Dangerous? Tesla built the battery system to isolate each battery pod, and then built firewalls to separate the passenger compartment from the batteries. I always laugh when people talk about how dangerous and flammable the batteries are, when they are in favor of a vehicle that is carry 20 to 30 gallons of explosively flammable liquid. Liquid which can flow in any number of directions.

The range is more than adequate for most people. For greater range you simply allow more time for your trip. A 20 - 30 min stop every 125 to 150 miles is all it takes. Does that beat an ICE? No, it doesn't. But given the other advantages, I can live with that small limitation.

As for the power grid, that can be expanded quite extensively. More hydro-electric, more solar, and more nuclear power plants will be needed. But the companies that provide electric power will be happy to do so.

No but it'll do 0-60 faster 300 miles down the road than the now discharged Tesla. And no, my car is by far cheaper to operate per mile than this monstrosity.

Oh, and 300 miles down the road I will have stopped and recharged for free, and then be able to do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds.

And by the time it's done charging me and my car will be hundreds of miles away.

And 15 years from now my car will need, oh thats right, nothing. That thing will need an $8500 battery, if its not more than that by then.

What special training and special tools do rescue workers need for my car? Nothing, jaws of life only. Tesla? A lot of training and special tools because its a VERY dangerous car once wrecked. You ever saw what happens to a li-po battery in a crash?

I add a little time to a trip and don't pay for fuel. Works for me.

15 years from now you will have spent how much on oil changes?? Lets say you average 25k miles a year. In 15 years you will have paid for 125 oil changes. If you have it done, and pay an average of $25 per oil change, you're spending $3,125 on oil changes. How about coolant? Flushing your radiator and adding coolant every year? Transmission fluid and servicing the transmission??

You will be spending as much, if not more.

There have been 5 Teslas that caught fire. Not one single injury.

There was a Tesla that crashed into a tree after going thru a brick wall. That car is one of the 5 that caught fire. The driver was fine, and got out of the car and watched as emergency personnel handled the fire.
"...the vehicle impacted a roundabout at 110 mph, shearing off 15 feet of concrete curbwall and tearing off the left front wheel, then smashing through an eight foot tall buttressed concrete wall on the other side of the road and tearing off the right front wheel, before crashing into a tree. The driver stepped out and walked away with no permanent injuries and a fire, again limited to the front section of the vehicle, started several minutes later." from: Tesla Reveals Details on Last Year s Fiery Model S Wreck in Mexico

Going 110 mph, hit with enough force to shear off a wheel, then crashing thru a wall and shearing another wheel off, before crashing into a tree. The driver walked away?? I'll take that kind of hazard.
Find Us Tesla Motors

Perhaps off topic but I'm referring to the supercharger stations currently available...............Not many on the Tesla site.............The only way to get the 20 recharge is with one of these stations or install one at your home for $2500 dollars parts only at your home...............other than that the vehicle would need 12 to 16 hours to charge on a standard plug..............

Seems the range is about 240 miles for the Tesla vehicles.............

Not meaning to butt in to the discussion, but needed a place to bump the thread to look into later.................without a network of these supercharger stations you are gonna run on gas...........in my area their is only 1 station...............others are hundreds of miles away..............

Btw Only 8 stations available at the location near my home..............not very efficient when it takes 20 minutes to charge and only 8 vehicles can charge at a time.

How many Tesla's in your neighborhood? And if you install a 220 charger, it will take care of what the distance most of us drive in a day. Which is less than 40 miles. And how many charging stations were in your neighborhood 2 years ago? How long, from the first introduction of gasoline driven cars did it take to get 8 gas stations in your neighborhood?

15 years from now you will have spent how much on oil changes?? Lets say you average 25k miles a year. In 15 years you will have paid for 125 oil changes. If you have it done, and pay an average of $25 per oil change, you're spending $3,125 on oil changes. How about coolant? Flushing your radiator and adding coolant every year? Transmission fluid and servicing the transmission??

There was a Tesla that crashed into a tree after going thru a brick wall. That car is one of the 5 that caught fire. The driver was fine, and got out of the car and watched as emergency personnel handled the fire.
"...the vehicle impacted a roundabout at 110 mph, shearing off 15 feet of concrete curbwall and tearing off the left front wheel, then smashing through an eight foot tall buttressed concrete wall on the other side of the road and tearing off the right front wheel, before crashing into a tree. The driver stepped out and walked away with no permanent injuries and a fire, again limited to the front section of the vehicle, started several minutes later." from: Tesla Reveals Details on Last Year s Fiery Model S Wreck in Mexico

Going 110 mph, hit with enough force to shear off a wheel, then crashing thru a wall and shearing another wheel off, before crashing into a tree. The driver walked away?? I'll take that kind of hazard.
Find Us Tesla Motors

Perhaps off topic but I'm referring to the supercharger stations currently available...............Not many on the Tesla site.............The only way to get the 20 recharge is with one of these stations or install one at your home for $2500 dollars parts only at your home...............other than that the vehicle would need 12 to 16 hours to charge on a standard plug..............

Not meaning to butt in to the discussion, but needed a place to bump the thread to look into later.................without a network of these supercharger stations you are gonna run on gas...........in my area their is only 1 station...............others are hundreds of miles away..............

Yes, the 20 min estimate is for half a charge at one of the super charger stations or at home with the better charger. If time to recharge is an issue, it seems like a minor amount to pay.

As for the Tesla super charging stations, they are spreading out quite well. In 2013 there werre a total of 8 charging stations in the US. Now there are 425 super charger stations with 2,338 chargers. It takes time to build these things. Of course there are not as many as there are convenience stores.

tesla.. its an electric edsel
No it's a toy for the rich.
As was the gas powered car for about 20 years. At present, all it would need for the EV's to become dominant is a battery that has twice the storage capacity at half the price of the present batteries. And it will be created and manufactured. Too many billions of dollars out there for that innovation for it too be too long in coming.

Find Us Tesla Motors

Yes, the 20 min estimate is for half a charge at one of the super charger stations or at home with the better charger. If time to recharge is an issue, it seems like a minor amount to pay.

As for the Tesla super charging stations, they are spreading out quite well. In 2013 there werre a total of 8 charging stations in the US. Now there are 425 super charger stations with 2,338 chargers. It takes time to build these things. Of course there are not as many as there are convenience stores.
My point was the infrastructure isn't there yet, not by a long shot..............and the 20 minutes isn't the overall deal here..............It's that there are only 8 available within a 200 mile range...........If there is a line to get to a charge station, if many of the cars are wanting a fill up.........then the wait could be hours..........

With any new tech there are start up problems.................getting the super charge stations nation wide is necessary for it to be viable for cross country travel..........and once you get the vehicle you would need to get the $2500 Super Charger Station for your home..........plus freight, tax, and installation.............While you could simply plug it in...............if you wanted to travel more you would have to buy and install the station at your home.

I'm not ditching new tech...........I'm pointing out that it always comes with down sides........

Tesla s Battery Gigafactory May Achieve Nirvana 100 Per Kilowatt-Hour Report Says

Best battery for the Tesla site is 17.1 kwh batter...............

so they are hoping to achieve a battery for the car at roughly $1710 per battery. Prices of batteries are coming down but are still high......only time will tell whether they go down greatly or as predicted..............Which will depend on demand..............

Site listed the Tesla Sedan at a market price of $35k

Tesla s Battery Gigafactory May Achieve Nirvana 100 Per Kilowatt-Hour Report Says

so they are hoping to achieve a battery for the car at roughly $1710 per battery. Prices of batteries are coming down but are still high......only time will tell whether they go down greatly or as predicted..............Which will depend on demand..............

The Tesla III is supposed to be in the $35k range. It won't be as luxurious as the Model S, but will have roughly the same range and performance as the standard P85.

The Tesla III is supposed to be in the $35k range. It won't be as luxurious as the Model S, but will have roughly the same range and performance as the standard P85.
Do they come with ICE...................

Forum List

Back