Family Kicked Off Flight After Daughter With Autism Deemed 'Disruptive'

Lets go with another scenario. So...United shows they have a heart and the captain does NOT remove her. She goes wild, someone gets hurt or worse, the girl reaches an exit door or kicks something that causes a problem with the plane. Are they still heartless to the girl or are they heartless to the other passengers?

How many autistic children do you think have boarded a plane before? Probably thousands. How many have brought down a plane? How many children in general have been disruptive on a plane? This is only making news because they removed the child from the flight. There is no indication that this girl was a risk to the passengers.
Her mother said she could be violent. Seems to me the mom is what made the red flags wave. And if they were midflight takeoff...or soon after taking off, the crew does not prep hot meals. Nothing is ready.
Again, it is not the airlines problem OR the passengers problem. It is the parents problem if their child "can become violent".

I agree that the mother making that comment was a mistake. I'm autistic. I can become violent, but rarely do. In the end I think the biggest mistake was the mother making that comment, but I still think the airline acted incorrectly.
My son is high functioning too. I hope he turns out to be as articulate, intelligent, and interactive as you clearly are.
There is such a wide spectrum for autism. My neighbor's child is high level autistic. He is wonderful at math, terrible at communicating but is a really sweet kid, very funny and at times very insightful. Kids like this have something to offer to society. The key is to get them in the right environment.

Lets go with another scenario. So...United shows they have a heart and the captain does NOT remove her. She goes wild, someone gets hurt or worse, the girl reaches an exit door or kicks something that causes a problem with the plane. Are they still heartless to the girl or are they heartless to the other passengers?

How many autistic children do you think have boarded a plane before? Probably thousands. How many have brought down a plane? How many children in general have been disruptive on a plane? This is only making news because they removed the child from the flight. There is no indication that this girl was a risk to the passengers.
Her mother said she could be violent. Seems to me the mom is what made the red flags wave. And if they were midflight takeoff...or soon after taking off, the crew does not prep hot meals. Nothing is ready.
Again, it is not the airlines problem OR the passengers problem. It is the parents problem if their child "can become violent".

I agree that the mother making that comment was a mistake. I'm autistic. I can become violent, but rarely do. In the end I think the biggest mistake was the mother making that comment, but I still think the airline acted incorrectly.
My son is high functioning too. I hope he turns out to be as articulate, intelligent, and interactive as you clearly are.
There is such a wide spectrum for autism. My neighbor's child is high level autistic. He is wonderful at math, terrible at communicating but is a really sweet kid, very funny and at times very insightful. Kids like this have something to offer to society. The key is to get them in the right environment.

I am lucky to have been born HFA (high functioning autistic), but there will always be those challenges. I've trained myself over the years to seem "normal". The thing is that it's mentally exhausting. I live my life going through an act. This autistic woman in a documentary explained my days perfectly. You play out every conversation in your head in the morning like a script, but if anyone strays from that script during the day it can lead to a meltdown.

I am lucky to have been born HFA (high functioning autistic), but there will always be those challenges. I've trained myself over the years to seem "normal". The thing is that it's mentally exhausting. I live my life going through an act. This autistic woman in a documentary explained my days perfectly. You play out every conversation in your head in the morning like a script, but if anyone strays from that script during the day it can lead to a meltdown.
Could you post a link to the documentary? Or PM it to me? I'd be really interested to watch it.

call me insensitive, but disability or not there are certain behavioral expectations and responsibilities that everyone must adhere to. it's unfortunate that the girl and her mother had to be removed from the plane. it's also unfortunate that the girl and mother's behavior resulted in delays not only for themselves but for every other passenger on that plane.

if you can't handle a situation, you don't need to put yourself in it.

call me insensitive, but disability or not there are certain behavioral expectations and responsibilities that everyone must adhere to. it's unfortunate that the girl and her mother had to be removed from the plane. it's also unfortunate that the girl and mother's behavior resulted in delays not only for themselves but for every other passenger on that plane.

If you'd read the article you'd see that the family has been on dozens of plane flights with their daughter without incident.

I agree it's unfortunate they were removed. The argument though, is whether they HAD to be removed.

Could you post a link to the documentary? Or PM it to me? I'd be really interested to watch it.

I have watched so many documentaries on autism I could never think of the name. If you're interested in the subject I'd suggest one called "Loving Lampposts". It may even be the one I'm thinking of. It's about an autistic boy who is obsessed with lampposts.

There is also a good BBC documentary called "America's Medicated Kids". It's about medicated kids in general, but Louis Theroux stays with the family of an autistic boy in Pittsburgh.

And it also depends on their age. Mine is just six, so lots of screaming fits. My almost 12 year old son would purposely do things like position himself to make eye contact. As you know, their eyes are diverted, but he will make eye contact temporarily when we ask him to. As long as he's doing it he's fine, but when his brother makes him do it by moving to where his eyes are pointing he goes nuts. It's one of his many triggers. His older brother now knows if he upsets his little brother, he's in charge of calming him down. Not so funny anymore.

But we're making progress. He doesn't tear off his clothes in public anymore.

I have watched so many documentaries on autism I could never think of the name. If you're interested in the subject I'd suggest one called "Loving Lampposts". It may even be the one I'm thinking of. It's about an autistic boy who is obsessed with lampposts.

There is also a good BBC documentary called "America's Medicated Kids". It's about medicated kids in general, but Louis Theroux stays with the family of an autistic boy in Pittsburgh.
I promise I'll check those out. I might recommend them to my coworkers too.

I've read so many books and watched so many documentaries too. Have you ever heard of the book "Nobody Nowhere"? That book had a huge impact on me when I was younger. I don't know that I'd be where I'm at without it.

If you'd read the article you'd see that the family has been on dozens of plane flights with their daughter without incident.

I agree it's unfortunate they were removed. The argument though, is whether they HAD to be removed.
so she says. and this aberration, if it is one, should not prevent them from flying in the future. however, it's not the airlines responsibility to meet the autistic child's needs. that is the responsibility of the parent. if the child needs hot food to remain calm, the mother should have either booked first class, brought something hot, or made arrangement with an airline that would accommodate her request. asking mid-flight for special concessions at the threat of violence seems irresponsible and inconsiderate.

maybe the airline could have met the request, maybe they couldn't. that said, if you or i or any other passenger we'd be turned down too. if we said non-compliance would result in violence, we'd be in jail.

There is a great clip on Youtube from the show "What Would You Do" where they have an actor scold parents of an autistic kid because he's being disruptive in a diner. The entire diner comes to the kid's defense, and forces the man to leave. They then show a clip of Michael Savage saying that autistic kids are just "brats who haven't been told to cut the act out".

I promise I'll check those out. I might recommend them to my coworkers too.

I've read so many books and watched so many documentaries too. Have you ever heard of the book "Nobody Nowhere"? That book had a huge impact on me when I was younger. I don't know that I'd be where I'm at without it.

Haven't read it. I will check it out. :thup:

so she says. and this aberration, if it is one, should not prevent them from flying in the future. however, it's not the airlines responsibility to meet the autistic child's needs. that is the responsibility of the parent. if the child needs hot food to remain calm, the mother should have either booked first class, brought something hot, or made arrangement with an airline that would accommodate her request. asking mid-flight for special concessions at the threat of violence seems irresponsible and inconsiderate.

maybe the airline could have met the request, maybe they couldn't. that said, if you or i or any other passenger we'd be turned down too. if we said non-compliance would result in violence, we'd be in jail.
Fair enough. All I want is for people who are unfamiliar with autism to make an effort to understand and tolerate. I work with a kid who once freaked out about a screaming baby and screamed to the entire plane that someone should shut the baby up. He stood up and made a scene. But he was no threat. Crazier things have happened on planes before.

It's not that big a deal.

I documentary film about an autistic girl, well worth watching.

I've heard of this movie! Never seen it though. I'll check it out this week! :thup:

I don't believe anyone here is unaware of what autism is or unsympathetic. That is not the issue. The issue is a person supposedly threatening (the moms words) the welfare of passengers on an airplane.

Concerning Temple...I am very much aware of her and her story. AND that she works wonderfully with animals.

I've heard of this movie! Never seen it though. I'll check it out this week! :thup:

The film is about Temple Grandin, a girl born in 1947 when no one had ever heard of Autism. It's told in her words giving the viewer a perspective of how she views the world. Today you she's a professor of animal science at Colorado State University, a best-selling author, an autistic activist, and a consultant to the livestock industry on animal behavior.

There is a great clip on Youtube from the show "What Would You Do" where they have an actor scold parents of an autistic kid because he's being disruptive in a diner. The entire diner comes to the kid's defense, and forces the man to leave. They then show a clip of Michael Savage saying that autistic kids are just "brats who haven't been told to cut the act out".

We've gotten those exact reactions. We try to eat out at restaurants that aren't crowded not only to minimize unsympathetic strangers, but also because our son seems to do better with fewer people and less ambient noise. At this one restaurant we frequent, the waitress introduced herself and tried to draw him out, having an autistic niece herself. He seemed to ignore her. But then the next time we came, he said hi and called her by name. Now when we go, he doesn't want to be served by anyone else, so we call ahead to make sure she's on shift.

I think youtube is full of vids of her talking about animals. She can truly connect with them...and they with her. She rocks.

It's not a "double standard" or a matter of discrimination. It's a tough call for airlines and common sense. Who would want to be seated in front or behind a severely autistic young adult who decided to act out his frustrations on everyone? I guess you have to rely on the parents of severely autistic or mentally impaired kids to either be able to control them if they are in danger of injuring innocent passengers or be excluded from public air transportation.

I don't believe anyone here is unaware of what autism is or unsympathetic. That is not the issue. The issue is a person supposedly threatening (the moms words) the welfare of passengers on an airplane.

Concerning Temple...I am very much aware of her and her story. AND that she works wonderfully with animals.
You didn't sound too sympathetic saying how you would have applauded as they were escorted off the plane. That's the kind of mean reaction we autism parents have had to learn to deal with. You might decide to have a little more compassion.

Forum List

Back