Florida Gov Signs Law Requiring Students, Faculty To Have Political Beliefs Surveyed

View attachment 505165

Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) suggested that the state’s public universities and colleges may face financial repercussions depending on the survey results.

Florida’s governor has signed legislation that will require public colleges and universities to annually survey their students and staff about their beliefs and viewpoints in order to support “intellectual diversity,” while hinting that the schools could face financial penalties depending on the survey results.

The goal of House Bill 233, which was signed by Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) on Tuesday, is “to ensure” that students are presented “diverse idea and opinion, including those that they may disagree with or find uncomfortable,” according to its language.

DeSantis said the state’s institutes of higher learning have largely become “intellectually repressive environments” and that these surveys will help to change that.

This new law, which goes into effect on July 1, follows DeSantis earlier this month banning K-12 public schools from featuring specific lessons and discussions related to racism. These include educational lessons and discussions on the concept of critical race theory, which examines systemic racism in American institutions and policies, as well as on “The 1619 Project,” which is a New York Times initiative that reexamines the legacy of slavery in the United States.

Texas
also last month passed a bill that effectively bans public school teachers from talking about racism, white supremacy or current news events.

"Have political beliefs surveyed"? Sounds like a slippery slope to me! In fact - it sounds racist to me - and autocratic! We need smarter students - not dumber students! What do you think?

His state, his rules.

Get your own state.
Well said

IOW. . . Desantis wants to ensure a diversity of thoughts and beliefs in students and faculty in our higher institutions of learning so we don't become prone to intellectual or political dogma, like totalitarian societies do.

. . . ensuring diversity?

NOPE, can't have diversity of thought and opinion. . . ONLY skin color.

:eusa_think:

From the OP:

This new law, which goes into effect on July 1, follows DeSantis earlier this month banning K-12 public schools from featuring specific lessons and discussions related to racism. These include educational lessons and discussions on the concept of critical race theory, which examines systemic racism in American institutions and policies, as well as on “The 1619 Project,” which is a New York Times initiative that reexamines the legacy of slavery in the United States.

Texas also last month passed a bill that effectively bans public school teachers from talking about racism, white supremacy or current news events.

BUT? Does everyone agree with Critical Race Theory?

Is it widely accepted?

I don't think a lot of conservatives or even mainstream liberals would deny the history of racism in our nation.

Nor, would they deny implicit bias that all people, of every color, ethnicity, social class, religion, and sexuality are prone to suffer from.

Likewise, poor families, no matter what color they are, do, inherently have less financial resources and start from a place that is less than more wealthy families, and this does tend to be HUGELY skewed toward minorities.

BUT, none of this points toward systemic racism being codified, officially, in modern US law, nor does it mean that the IN-GROUP is somehow evil and deserves to be demonized by the official intellectual establishment, which the establishment wants to teach that all OUT-GROUPS are still oppressed. Are they? Are they really? Statistics and facts do not bear this out.

Expect push-back, and just don't assume folks are all going to agree with making such non-sense, official government policy without debate.

Although we can't change history, we can do our best to make society equal, but America is not about the government insuring equity. . .you must do that on your own.

Critical Race Theory is just that, IT IS A THEORY, an epistemological framework, a lens through which one can look at the world, whose roots are firmly planted in Marxism. Thus, it is distinctly anti-American in it's origins. You need to understand this if you want to understand why there is a reaction to it. Even a lot of minorities do not want to be pawns in this radical agenda to reshape the nation for, "equity," rather than "equality."

Last edited:
I'm 74, and I was never taught anything in school about racism or the Native American holocaust. Republicans want to continue to sweep it all under the rug. Just a big whitewash of American history - and present reality.
What is it that you needed to know that would have made a difference?

Factual education about racism and diversity.
Believe me, if this is all you can put together to answer my question, then you were not going to make a difference. This is a discussion forum, and you should know to provide details, and consequences.

You knew the facts that black people were mistreated. You did not know what to do.

You got a couple of years left - pull your head out of your ass and make a difference.

I'm 74, and I was never taught anything in school about racism or the Native American holocaust. Republicans want to continue to sweep it all under the rug. Just a big whitewash of American history - and present reality.

Believe me, if this is all you can put together to answer my question, then you were not going to make a difference. This is a discussion forum, and you should know to provide details, and consequences.

You knew the facts that black people were mistreated. You did not know what to do.

You got a couple of years left - pull your head out of your ass and make a difference.

Why is DeSantis trying to whitewash racism and diversity?

View attachment 505165

Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) suggested that the state’s public universities and colleges may face financial repercussions depending on the survey results.

Florida’s governor has signed legislation that will require public colleges and universities to annually survey their students and staff about their beliefs and viewpoints in order to support “intellectual diversity,” while hinting that the schools could face financial penalties depending on the survey results.

The goal of House Bill 233, which was signed by Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) on Tuesday, is “to ensure” that students are presented “diverse idea and opinion, including those that they may disagree with or find uncomfortable,” according to its language.

DeSantis said the state’s institutes of higher learning have largely become “intellectually repressive environments” and that these surveys will help to change that.

Texas
also last month passed a bill that effectively bans public school teachers from talking about racism, white supremacy or current news events.

"Have political beliefs surveyed"? Sounds like a slippery slope to me! In fact - it sounds racist to me - and autocratic! We need smarter students - not dumber students! What do you think?
I think its a good idea. In the interest of diversity 50% of liberal professors should be fired and replaced by good decent people

Its Fascist in nature. The kids should say they are independents and undecided... all of them.
How is it fascist to want diversity? I thought the fascist liberals believe in diversity.

Funny! DeSantis is not concerned about "diversity". His true agenda is purely racist.
what’s racist about this survey?

This new law, which goes into effect on July 1, follows DeSantis earlier this month banning K-12 public schools from featuring specific lessons and discussions related to racism.
actually the law wasn’t about banning discussions or lessons about racism, but CRT.

try again

View attachment 505165

Texas

I think its a good idea. In the interest of diversity 50% of liberal professors should be fired and replaced by good decent people

Its Fascist in nature. The kids should say they are independents and undecided... all of them.

I agree! But they should not be asked about their political beliefs!
If students shouldn't be asked about their political beliefs. . . I have long believed students should not be asked about the color of their skin. . . THAT is racist.

That color, religion, or ethnic origin of ones skin make no difference in college admission.

If you believe it does, but not their political beliefs? YOU ARE A HYPOCRITE.

. . . but then? Most leftists usually have to be in order to advance their ultimate agenda.

Why is DeSantis trying to whitewash racism and diversity?
That is not what he is doing - that is what you are accusing, because of your biased perspective as to how societies are guided.

View attachment 505165

Texas

How is it fascist to want diversity? I thought the fascist liberals believe in diversity.

Funny! DeSantis is not concerned about "diversity". His true agenda is purely racist.

This new law, which goes into effect on July 1, follows DeSantis earlier this month banning K-12 public schools from featuring specific lessons and discussions related to racism.
actually the law wasn’t about banning discussions or lessons about racism, but CRT.

try again

CRT is pure bullshit. It starts out by assuming that all white people are "racist", and does nothing to address black racism against whites and other blacks.

View attachment 505165

Texas

try again

CRT is pure bullshit. It starts out by assuming that all white people are "racist", and does nothing to address black racism against whites and other blacks.
Very true!!

View attachment 505165

Texas

Nothing, DeSantis is just trying to make learning diverse
He's trying to use our state as a stepping stone to higher office leaving us with a bunch of crap laws the state will have to defend in court.

Factual education about racism and diversity. Gov. Ron DeSantis signed three education bills championed by the Republican Legislature and governor that they say aim to increase civics understanding among Florida students.
Appearing at a press conference at a Fort Myers middle school on Tuesday, he signed House Bill 5 that directs the state Department of Education to come up with a curriculum that educates students on the evils of communism and totalitarian regimes like Venezuela and Nicaragua.
View attachment 505165

Texas

Gov. Ron DeSantis signed three education bills championed by the Republican Legislature and governor that they say aim to increase civics understanding among Florida students.
Appearing at a press conference at a Fort Myers middle school on Tuesday, he signed House Bill 5 that directs the state Department of Education to come up with a curriculum that educates students on the evils of communism and totalitarian regimes like Venezuela and Nicaragua.

Is that what you are referring to?

View attachment 505165

Texas

The king of Pander Gras is at it again.
There is no topic in any universe on which Ron DuhDumbAss will not pander to his idiots.

Have "beliefs surveyed"? Sounds like a slippery slope to me! In fact - it sounds racist to me! What do you think?
I think it's past due. Regardless of what these prog rags try to insinuate, no one is forcing ANY identified individual to make a statement of belief that can be used against them in any way. He wants to see if there are huge disparities between the tenured propagandists and the students that realize if they disagree or speak out against the one-sided political bull shit the Left engages in on campuses, they'd be failed or expelled. That's all it is and it's a danger to those political shills masquerading as educators. Roaches always run from the light.
Please. This will get shot down by the courts and if implemented I guarantee MOST will lie just to fuck with DuDumbAss.

Remember Tulsa last year? DatDumbAss is gonna get tik toked.

1624584145038.png

View attachment 505165

Texas

That can't be constitutional.

I sure hope someone or some civil rights organization challenges this in court.

Did you actually READ that article? The headline is clickbait lies. Only a fool would believe these surveys have anything to do with "registering" political views. You people get worked up over the most obviously stupid shit, over and over. Your media masters haven't told you that where this fomented outrage leads, is a place where none of you will want to be, any more than the rest of us. People can only be lied about for so long before they lash out.
The purpose is to remove free thought from the education environment and replace it with "conservative" dogma.
Make no mistake.
These "surveys" will not be anonymous and those thinking improper thoughts will be "removed." Not for academic reasons but because their thoughts will be considered "dangerous."

Remember when the GOP accused what they called "leftists" of Orwellian plans?
Here's yet another example of the GOP implementing stuff right from the book.

You would think it sounds like a "slippery slope" because it would mean your fellow Leftist/Democratic brainwashers would be quickly found out and there would be something tangible (proof-wise) for the state to finally go after them for indoctrinating.

You've also purposely ignored the part of the article that says it's to support "intellectual diversity" - that would mean a few teachers and campuses would have to answer to the state for importing their beliefs on them at the expense of alternative theories, diversity, debate, free speech etc - which is the very premise that College's and Universities were meant to be founded on.

Something like this is long overdue. Drain the swamp.

Apparently you glossed over the BOLD paragraph in the OP.
No I never. I read it and agreed with it.

Critical Race Theory isn't akin to fairness and proper diversity - it's a tool of the brainwashing process.

Removing it ensures more diversity and fairness.

Just what is critical race theory anyway?

Critical race theory is an academic concept that is more than 40 years old. The core idea is that racism is a social construct, and that it is not merely the product of individual bias or prejudice, but also something embedded in legal systems and policies.

Racism is definitely embedded in legal systems and policies. DeSantis is further proof of that fact.

Critical race theory is a graduate level college course ONLY for those who are going to law school to get a degree in law.

It has never been taught in K-12. Nor has it been taught in any other college program other than law school.

The far right is lying to everyone.

I think there is literally no depth that idiot wouldn’t plumb in order to become Trumpier than Trump and more autocratic than Putin.

He comes in ahead of Rump among Rs in 2024 polling. God save the Queen!

Forum List

Back