🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

For all the Bigoted Bakers, Fanatical Florists and Pharisee Photographers

Where in the constitution does free exercise of religion be limited to clergy? What of religions with no organized clergy?

You see? This is why I call you dumb-dumb. You do not understand the law at all. Sad. If you open a business, you are under the rules and regulations regarding that particular business. Only religious organizations are allowed to "refuse" service because of religious beliefs. If you open a bakery, a car wash, a grocery store, you do not have that right. You are then considered a "public accommodation" business and you have to obey the laws put forth by your state with regards to discrimination. NO, the states are not going to disregard these laws. That would be stupid. The government is concerned with making an equal and level playing field for all employees, customers and citizens of America. Your religious views do not effect our secular business laws. Sorry, but they don't.

Like I told you earlier, these same arguments were brought up when it was deemed by the states that you could no longer discriminate against black people. They failed then, and they will fail now. :dunno:

The States were forced originally to do so because they were government, and state governments cannot discriminate based on equal protection (although ironically the 14th amendment only applies to the States, so there really is no constitutional equal protection for federal law).

PA laws of an overreaching nature came later. And they were not challenged because the people being charged were actual racists, and thus not the most pleasing people. Now you have people of faith being persecuted.

A backlash will be inevitable, Americans don't like bullies. Up to this point that concept has helped the gay rights movement, but now that the pendulum has swung, it's probably going to hurt it.

Better start trying to convince the government that they are wrong and that it is your right to treat people unequally, and to hell with civil rights. Lol. Hilariously stupid.
The government works for its citizen and not the other way around. Do you invite everyone to your parties? Is that discrimination? Do you associate with everybody? If not, isn't that discrimination? When you go shopping will you buy whatever any store sells, or do you pick and choose? Do you think everyone who wants to sing gets playing time on the radio? Do all "athletes" get accepted to the NBA? There is always picking and choosing going on. That is what makes America interesting ---- if not great. Someone inevitably gets their feelings hurt. Government was never meant to accommodate everyone --- just protect us from each other. And right now, it seems that the government is making choices to suit it's own select agenda and to heck with the average American family.

Not ALL businesses are open on Sunday. That is their prerogative and I PRAY that what individuals decide as to how they manage their lives does not become the focal point of BIG BROTHER!

Um, no. You are wrong. Soooo wrong. Now, I suggest you read this article so that you can understand exactly WHY you are wrong.

Can Religious Freedom Be Used to Discriminate Stephen Seufert

American history has shown "religious freedom" was used to legitimize slavery and later constituted the bedrock of discriminatory Jim Crow laws in southern states. In 1964, the owner of a BBQ restaurant in South Carolina based his refusal to serve African Americans on the first amendment and his freedom to practice his religious beliefs. In lower court deliberations, a judge cited a previously rejected "religious freedom" defense which claimed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was invalid because it "contravenes the will of God," and constitutes an interference with the "free exercise of the Defendant's religion." The Supreme Court agreed with previous court rulings and unanimously ruled 8-0 to uphold the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Similar kinds of laws and tactics under the guise of "religious freedom" are now being used by business and lawmakers to discriminate against LGBT people.

Freedom of religion -- at least in the American tradition -- meant being tolerant of different beliefs, while also peacefully coexisting. On the individual level, freedom to worship without persecution was one of the primary concerns for Americans. For generations, America was seen as a beacon of freedom and liberty for those who sought to escape the oppressive, and often times deadly, religious persecution and fanaticism of the old world.

Individuals and groups discriminating based off perceived threats to their religious freedoms due to the lifestyle and beliefs of others signal a return to a period in human history where prejudice, hatred and violence reigned supreme. A time period in which people were divided by not just by religion, but also by race and gender. Returning to such a period would constitute a defeat for all of humanity.

Pope Francis warns against "individualism which divides human beings, setting them against one another as they pursue their own well-being." Whether it be based on gender, sexuality or race, discrimination typically focuses on one single aspect of a human being's life. So what if someone is gay? Is that the sole extent to which an individual is defined and judged by others?
I believe everyone should watch the PBS program called The Abolitionists. It presents a real eye opening view of how Christianity played the biggest part in ending slavery ------- It was NOT an atheist movement!

This is also the reason why they teach children about gays and gay relationships in school. You think it's to turn your kids gay or something, but it is so that people cannot keep poisoning minds by teaching hatred because a person or a group of people is different from you. Most of us want to see an end to this nonsense.
I feel the Bible should be openly discussed in public school. And then hatred will not be able to control the schools to the extent it seems to today. A balance would return to education.

I feel the Bible should be openly discussed in public school. And then hatred will not be able to control the schools to the extent it seems to today. A balance would return to education.

Do you think Christians should be able to sue gay billboard designers if they refuse to print out of principle "Homosexuality is a sin unto God" on a sign for a busy highway? Would that gay guy be in violation of PA laws?

Do you think Christians should be able to sue gay billboard designers if they refuse to print out of principle "Homosexuality is a sin unto God" on a sign for a busy highway? Would that gay guy be in violation of PA laws?
How about if a printer refuses a request to print "God Hates Fags" posters for the phred phelps goons?

How about if a printer refuses a request to print "God Hates Fags" posters for the phred phelps goons?
Nah...now you're getting into abuse territory.

No, I'm just talking about a simple Christian requesting a simple billboard that says "Homosexuality is a sin unto God". God loves the flock of sinners. So it isn't needing to contain the word "hate" at all. Just that simple message. Should the gay billboard designer be allowed to refuse that simple benign faith-based statement? Or can he be sued by the Christian for violating PA laws?

Nah...now you're getting into abuse territory.

No, I'm just talking about a simple Christian requesting a simple billboard that says "Homosexuality is a sin unto God". God loves the flock of sinners. So it isn't needing to contain the word "hate" at all. Just that simple message. Should the gay billboard designer be allowed to refuse that simple benign faith-based statement? Or can he be sued by the Christian for violating PA laws?
Well, of course I don't buy any of the PA nonsense. But should a baker be allowed to refuse service to Christians? Muslims?

Will Christians be sued by homosexuals if they design a Biblical Billboard that pictures Sodom, Gomorrah, and the other cities of the plain being pelted with brimstone? I feel that Christians are unlikely to sue anyone. Christians pray. Homosexuals trust the courts.

Well, of course I don't buy any of the PA nonsense. But should a baker be allowed to refuse service to Christians? Muslims?

My example of a gay billboard designer printing the benign Christian message of "Homosexuality is a sin unto God" was carefully selected for key elements matching the reverse scenario: a gay couple "merely wanting a Christian baker to make them a "gay wedding" cake". The reason I stated a "billboard by a busy highway" is because that gay person would know that their product would be assisting in a grand way the demolishion of their deeply held convictions and principles that they believe "homosexuality is good, normal, healthy & OK..not a sin". Just as the Christian believes an event, usually large with lots of attendees will begin to see homosexuality as "not a sin unto God" if their centerpiece cake featuring two men or two women or the words "Gary loves Bruce" sits at the center of it all.

The Christian declines the benign request on principle for exactly the same reasons the gay billboard designer declines the request on principle. Who may be sued for violation of PA laws and who may not? What makes them different?

My example of a gay billboard designer printing the benign Christian message of "Homosexuality is a sin unto God" was carefully selected for key elements matching the reverse scenario: a gay couple "merely wanting a Christian baker to make them a "gay wedding" cake". The reason I stated a "billboard by a busy highway" is because that gay person would know that their product would be assisting in a grand way the demolishion of their deeply held convictions and principles that they believe "homosexuality is good, normal, healthy & OK..not a sin". Just as the Christian believes an event, usually large with lots of attendees will begin to see homosexuality as "not a sin unto God" if their centerpiece cake featuring two men or two women or the words "Gary loves Bruce" sits at the center of it all.

The Christian declines the benign request on principle for exactly the same reasons the gay billboard designer declines the request on principle. Who may be sued for violation of PA laws and who may not? What makes them different?
Lotta words to say "hypocrite".

The people that owned the bakery were not Christian, they are kristian. Fake Christians. They purposely put the names and address of the customer's online so those people would be persecuted and likely threatened or worse become the victim of bodily harm.

Let's stop this pretending garbage that all the fake kristians in the country like to play. Most AREN'T Christians and they prove it with everything they say and do.

Not if you consider the opposition will use ambiguity every single time to their legal advantage; as they already have ad nauseum.

That's why I took pains to describe an exact reverse scenario, complete with nuances so that the didactic device would work. You start, or allow them to start introducing the word "hate" into a billboard sign and then off we go on a strawman. When there are precise legal equivalents that should be focused on and discussed.

Not if you consider the opposition will use ambiguity every single time to their legal advantage; as they already have ad nauseum.

That's why I took pains to describe an exact reverse scenario, complete with nuances so that the didactic device would work. You start, or allow them to start introducing the word "hate" into a billboard sign and then off we go on a strawman. When there are precise legal equivalents that should be focused on and discussed.

Whatever. You're missing the point. No one should should be forced to serve anyone else unless they've made a binding commitment to do so (which, granted, could be implied). We should all be free to choose who we serve, who we work for, who we sell to, and who we buy from based on our own personal values, no matter how irrational or repugnant others may find those values.

Whatever. You're missing the point. No one should should be forced to serve anyone else unless they've made a binding commitment to do so (which, granted, could be implied). We should all be free to choose who we serve, who we work for, who we sell to, and who we buy from based on our own personal values, no matter how irrational or repugnant others may find those values.

Title II of the Civil Rights Act. Federal law since the 60s. Repeal that instead of creating special carve outs to STATE laws ONLY for anti gay bigots.

Title II of the Civil Rights Act. Federal law since the 60s. Repeal that instead of creating special carve outs to STATE laws ONLY for anti gay bigots.

You have your details mixed up. The Civil Rights Act doesn't include sexual preference as a protected class. The whole idea of protected classes is a set of carve outs granting special privileges to those covered. And while I'd agree there's no good reason to exclude gays, there's also no good reason anyone should get such special protections in the first place. Anyone should have the right to refuse to do business with anyone else, for any reason. I'm honestly a little stunned that so many people, liberal and conservative, can't see how this is a fundamental human right.

and now you know.......the Rest of the story ......

Oregon bakers weren’t fined over cake — they were punished for sharing lesbian couple’s home address
The anti-LGBT owners of an Oregon bakery were not fined for refusing to sell a wedding cake to a same-sex couple – they were ordered to pay $135,000 in damages for intentionally causing their would-be customers emotional distress.

And that's perfectly legitimate. But it doesn't change the fact that the law provoking the incident is a blatant violation of first amendment rights.

And that's perfectly legitimate. But it doesn't change the fact that the law provoking the incident is a blatant violation of first amendment rights.

You get your law license in your hand and you march on down there to Oregon and make the argument....genius.......no one else thought of it ..lol

No generational issue here. When people - gay, black, whatever - target businesses for the sake of publicity and settlements it is abusive. There is a difference between being gay and the agenda of some gay people. I have no issue with gay people - I do have issue with the complete bullshit of forcing yourself on someone who has their own beliefs. Why should a religious belief be any different than a gay right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No generational issue here. When people - gay, black, whatever - target businesses for the sake of publicity and settlements it is abusive. There is a difference between being gay and the agenda of some gay people. I have no issue with gay people - I do have issue with the complete bullshit of forcing yourself on someone who has their own beliefs. Why should a religious belief be any different than a gay right?

In your church or home it isn't, in a public business, it is. So what say you about someone that doesn't want to make a cake for a Jew.

I would say likely the Jewish person owns the bakery so problem solved. Seriously - the agenda of doing this is only money driven. If someone wants a cake they can find a place to get one.

Forum List

Back