Zone1 God Says Don't Eat Shellfish

Yep, shucking oysters can be a dangerous undertaking, even for people who are familiar with how to do it. My question is, was he wearing steel gloves (which most shuckers wear), because that would have helped to prevent him from opening up his palm.
No. None of us were, but the oyster king that brought them was the only injury. I had never had them before and never seen them in the house. He was the one that showed me how slip the knife in, cut it loose and shuck the shell. Oops.

No. None of us were, but the oyster king that brought them was the only injury. I had never had them before and never seen them in the house. He was the one that showed me how slip the knife in, cut it loose and shuck the shell. Oops.

When I was a teen, I worked at Wendy's for a minute. They had a wicked sharp tomato slicer and the glove to go with it. It was about 47 pounds of chainmail kind of stuff.

I never got the hang of it and no one loved what resulted from my stupid efforts.

Last edited:
He doesn't have to explain why. We are just expected to obey. Here's a possible reason though.

He was only testing His chosen people at the time that law was given, in order to see if they would obey Him.

Those laws went out the window when Jesus was tested by the Pharisees and told them "Listen and understand. What goes into a man's mouth does not make him `unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him `unclean. '"

When I was a teen, I worked at Wendy's for a minute. They had a wicked sharp tomato slicer. It was about 47 pounds of chainmail kind of stuff.

I never got the hang of it and no one loved what resulted from my stupid efforts.

I've got pretty decent kevlar gloves. They also double as potholders if used only briefly.

I get my ya-ya's out slicing veggies on a wicked sharp ceramic bladed mandolin so protection is necessary.

I've got pretty decent kevlar gloves. They also double as potholders if used only briefly.

I get my ya-ya's out slicing veggies on a wicked sharp ceramic bladed mandolin so protection is necessary.

All that stuff sounds like kitchen implements to be used with cooking.

I use my oven for tupperware storage.

Considering my lack of culinary competence, that seems wise.

He doesn't have to explain why. We are just expected to obey. Here's a possible reason though.

There is much in the New Testament of the Bible that ends many dictates of the Jewish Law. I think religious people now err when they pick and choose which Bible verses they will consider Law and which they can safely discard.

Yes the O.T. law spelled out specifically what was kosher to eat and what was not.

But contradicts itself. In Genesis 9:3: "Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything."

And in the New Testament, speaking for or quoting Jesus the Christ:

Mark 7:18-23 - "There is nothing outside a person that by going into him can defile him, but the things that come out of a person are what defile him.” And when he had entered the house and left the people, his disciples asked him about the parable. And he said to them, “Then are you also without understanding? Do you not see that whatever goes into a person from outside cannot defile him, since it enters not his heart but his stomach, and is expelled?” And he said, “What comes out of a person is what defiles him. For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness."​

Romans 14:14 - I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself, but it is unclean for anyone who thinks it unclean.​

(and in this context there are other passages that admonish us not to judge other people who go by different dietary rules.)

1 Timothy 4:1-5

Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons, through the insincerity of liars whose consciences are seared, who forbid marriage and require abstinence from foods that God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, for it is made holy by the word of God and prayer.

And you can find other passages that seem to contradict these.

I personally think if you feel it wrong to eat something, accept that as the leading of the Holy Spirit for you and don't eat it. And I accept that my food preferences and taboos and such are not necessarily law for the next person.

In the old Testament God also states that wearing clothes of blended fabrics (ie. cotton/polyester shirts) was an abomination and forbade it. OP, do observe this stricture and all the others in the OT?

In the old Testament God also states that wearing clothes of blended fabrics (ie. cotton/polyester shirts) was an abomination and forbade it. OP, do observe this stricture and all the others in the OT?
Many were ritual 'laws of separation' from the gentile world, and many made good sense, even today. My favorite is "Don't plow with an ox yoked with an ass". Animals with of different size and temperament don't make for a productive team.

Cloth made with different threads such as soft warp, course woof, would soon wear itself out as the movement would cause the course thread to wear the softer threads. The lesson was that interaction with gentiles would wear out the Israelites.

Ancient Israel didn't have polyester.

That's a different topic and was instituted for a different reason.

Let's keep this thread on topic for once

He was only testing His chosen people at the time that law was given, in order to see if they would obey Him.
"Only testing"??? You are being tested today.

His laws are based on "science" the ancient world didn't yet understand. But they still apply.

"The Sabbath was made for MAN" -- Jesus
.notice He didn't say The Sabbath was made for the Jews alone, to test them"

One of the great themes of the Bible is the distinction God draws between 'what is above and what is below', finally instructing his people to come out the world that he is about to destroy.

"Only testing"??? You are being tested today.

His laws are based on "science" the ancient world didn't yet understand. But they still apply.

"The Sabbath was made for MAN" -- Jesus
.notice He didn't say The Sabbath was made for the Jews alone, to test them"
God gives us a much-needed day off each week. In the west many of us have two days off but seldom use them for rest. As a result, the whole nation is in a state of perpetual fatigue. This negatively affects our health and decision making which helps explain the mess we're in.

Forum List

Back