GOP Chair wants to open up Gun-Mental Health study

A real study would prove that gun control states do better with preventing gun crime .

The gopā€™s NRA masters do not want that .

If you have children or grandchildren in school...you should welcome a CDC study. We all need to write and call our Congressional representatives and encourage them to repeal the Dickey amendment. Allow the CDC to study gun violence and mental health.

They can already do gun research...they have done gun research into gun violence.......

Would Cracking Down on Guns in the U.S. Really Reduce Violence? , by Robert VerBruggen, National Review

There is actually no simple correlation between statesā€™ homicide rates and their gun-ownership rates or gun laws.
This has been shown numerous times, by different people, using different data sets.

A year ago, I took state gun-ownership levels reported by the Washington Post (based on a Centers for Disease Control survey) and compared them with murder rates from the FBI: no correlation.

The legal scholar Eugene Volokh has compared statesā€™ gun laws (as rated by the anti-gun Brady Campaign) with their murder rates: no correlation.

David Freddoso of the Washington Examiner, a former National Review reporter, failed to find a correlation even between gun ownership in a state and gun murders specifically, an approach that sets aside the issue of whether gun availability has an effect on non-gun crime. (Guns can deter unarmed criminals, for instance, and criminals without guns may simply switch to other weapons.)

, I recently redid my analysis with a few tweaks. Instead of relying on a single year of survey data, I averaged three years. (The CDC survey, the best available for state-level numbers, included data on gun ownership only in 2001, 2002, and 2004. Those were the years I looked at.)

And instead of comparing CDC data with murder rates from a different agency, I relied on the CDCā€™s own estimates of death by assault in those years. Again: no correlation.

------

Left-leaning media outlets, from Mother Jones to National Journal, get around this absence of correlation by reporting numbers on ā€œgun deathsā€ rather than gun homicides or homicides in general.
More than 60 percent of gun deaths nationally are suicides, and places with higher gun ownership typically see a higher percentage of their suicides committed with a gun.
Focusing on the number of gun deaths practically guarantees a finding that guns and violence go together. While it may be true that public policy should also seek to reduce suicide, it is homicide ā€” often a dramatic mass killing ā€” that usually prompts the media and politicians to call for gun control, and it is homicide that most influences people as they consider supporting measures to take away their fellow citizensā€™ access to guns.
There are large gaps among the states when it comes to homicide, with rates ranging all the way from about two to twelve per 100,000 in 2013, the most recent year of data available from the CDC. These disparities show that itā€™s not just guns that cause the United States to have, on average, a higher rate of homicide than other developed countries do. Not only is there no correlation between gun ownership and overall homicide within a state, but there is a strong correlation between gun homicide and non-gun homicide ā€” suggesting that they spring from similar causes, and that some states are simply more violent than others. A closer look at demographic and geographic patterns provides some clues as to why this is.

Why are u people so desperate to see more mass shootings. The GOP Congressman on T.V. this morning did not even know what the Rickey amendment was. He was brave enough to say that guns should not be in the hands of the mentally ill. Probably cost him some NRA points.

GOP chairman: Congress should rethink CDC ban on gun violence research

Okay...will something actually happen or will this initiative go into the same box as the "bump stock?"
The latter.

As with immigration/DACA, most Republicans have no desire to address the issue of gun violence, and wonā€™t engage in good faith debate concerning the issue.

Republicans will go through the motions to appear ā€˜concernedā€™ about gun violence, but itā€™s nothing but a delaying tactic.

GOP chairman: Congress should rethink CDC ban on gun violence research

Okay...will something actually happen or will this initiative go into the same box as the "bump stock?"
The latter.

As with immigration/DACA, most Republicans have no desire to address the issue of gun violence, and wonā€™t engage in good faith debate concerning the issue.

Republicans will go through the motions to appear ā€˜concernedā€™ about gun violence, but itā€™s nothing but a delaying tactic.

I wrote my idiot Republican congressman this morning. Probably won't help....

Forum List

Back