Greatest economy in US history!

Somehow, it doesn't quite feel like the Roaring Twenties.

Or the anemic 2008-2016...

Trumps GDP does not look any better than Obama’s
An economy Trump called a Trainwreck

GDP does not define an economy ya fckn troll
And how do you define an economy?

There are many factors...but GDP alone doesn't
And they are?

WHy do you care about this? EVERYONE should grok by now, that Trump has an odd and somewhat off putting style.
I care about this because I'm fascinated by the psychology, motivations & behaviors of partisanship and its effects.

That is, by far, my biggest interest in this message board.

So my interest in this thread is not about Trump nearly as much as it is about his fans.

Huge deficits and slow growth. What a success.

But the left keeps saying that was great under Ears. Lol
It’s expected during a recession. Trump inherited a strong economy and decreasing deficits.

You just disqualified yourself. Trump in no way inherited a strong economy. Not true whatsoever
Well it has changed very little so we must have a weak economy now.

Trump on Twitter this morning, regarding being behind Biden in a Fox poll:

....the fact that I have gone through a three year vicious Witch Hunt, perpetrated by the Lamestream Media in Collusion with Crooked and the Democrat Party, there can be NO WAY, with the greatest Economy in U.S. history, that I can be losing to the Sleepy One. KEEP AMERICA GREAT!

... on the morning a 2.1% GDP is announced, we've exploded the deficit in a non-recessionary period, and the Fed is standing by to support a flagging economy by dropping interest rates.

I dunno, folks. Trump supporters, in all seriousness, what goes through your mind when your President calls this "the greatest economy in US history"?

Seriously.
Somehow, it doesn't quite feel like the Roaring Twenties.

Or the anemic 2008-2016...

Trumps GDP does not look any better than Obama’s
An economy Trump called a Trainwreck

GDP does not define an economy ya fckn troll

Really?
What one term would you choose?
Take a step back and tell is you truly believe a rolled up statistic tells the full story.

It’s expected during a recession. Trump inherited a strong economy and decreasing deficits.

Trump inherited a weak and aging upswing, and reinvigorated it.

THe increase in wages for the lower income workers, is especially impressive.

I don't know that hte deficits were dropping, but yes, them rising is a fair point.
Give these wage numbers. Every wage report historically very low given unemployment. Stop making shit up.

You just disqualified yourself. Trump in no way inherited a strong economy. Not true whatsoever
Well it has changed very little so we must have a weak economy now.

Trump will win 2020 if this economy sustains. Bank it

....the fact that I have gone through a three year vicious Witch Hunt, perpetrated by the Lamestream Media in Collusion with Crooked and the Democrat Party, there can be NO WAY, with the greatest Economy in U.S. history, that I can be losing to the Sleepy One. KEEP AMERICA GREAT!

... on the morning a 2.1% GDP is announced, we've exploded the deficit in a non-recessionary period, and the Fed is standing by to support a flagging economy by dropping interest rates.

I dunno, folks. Trump supporters, in all seriousness, what goes through your mind when your President calls this "the greatest economy in US history"?

Seriously.

2.1% GDP for June?

Didn't trump claim that's not acceptable growth and he would have it around 5%.

Seriously.

2.1% GDP for June?

Go with that...please!

Seriously.

2.1% GDP for June?

Yes, and people believed it.

4.26.19.png

WHy do you care about this? EVERYONE should grok by now, that Trump has an odd and somewhat off putting style.
I care about this because I'm fascinated by the psychology, motivations & behaviors of partisanship and its effects.

So my interest in this thread is not about Trump nearly as much as it is about his fans.

Trump uses hyperbole a lot. His supporters know that, and consider it when he says something like "greatest economy ever", ie we don't take it literally or even seriously. It's meaningless bluster.

I'm not sure there is much psychology or deep motivations to be gleaned from that. At MOST a little in group bias.

Do you really see anything more there? If so, I would recommend that you consider YOUR "motivation",

And I do NOT mean that as a partisan dig or a gotcha. So, please don't dismiss it as such.

Seriously.

2.1% GDP for June?

That’s why results are more important than rhetoric.
Go to Uniondale, NY where people are working and tell them the economy sucks.
They’ll laugh in your face.

They do get cranky when asked to explain his words.
I'd get cranky too if I was constantly asked to explain someones lies.
I'm not even sure they realize he's lying. The alternate universe is simply running with its own facts and figures and reality. So many of them agree with him. That's the disturbing part.
I never believe any administration's pronouncements about the economy. Whoever said it's "lies, damned lies and statistics" got it right. I go by what is happening in my neck of the woods. Obama's administration was pushing some real bullshit, too, for awhile there.
If Trump supporters are seeing an improvement in their job prospects or businesses springing up in their towns, that's why they probably think things are better. Looking around the corner at what some of this economic fiddling may cause tomorrow isn't a strength for most of us. Economics might as well be ancient Etruscan, as far as most Americans go.
Presidents always get too much credit and too much blame for the economy. There are so many variables and influences involved that all we can do is analyze data piece by piece. Since this stuff is my profession, I know this is a day-by-day, hour-by-hour thing.

Of course, partisans make it a binary issue. Partisans aren't to be taken seriously.
Trump is forcing Trickle Down to work.

'Forcing Trickle Down to work' is a meaningless statement. The results of trickle down and supply-side economics take time. Reagan tried it with increased spending and tripled the debt, which more likely ended the recession.

Trump uses hyperbole a lot. His supporters know that, and consider it when he says something like "greatest economy ever", ie we don't take it literally or even seriously. It's meaningless bluster.

I'm not sure there is much psychology or deep motivations to be gleaned from that. At MOST a little in group bias.

Do you really see anything more there? If so, I would recommend that you consider YOUR "motivation",

And I do NOT mean that as a partisan dig or a gotcha. So, please don't dismiss it as such.
Look at some of the posts from his supporters on this thread. They're defending what he said.

Why does this stuff fascinate me so much? I have no idea. It just does. If it annoys you, I wouldn't blame you for not reading my posts.

If you think I have a hidden agenda, that's fine. Maybe you know something here that I'm not seeing. Meanwhile, I'll continue.

Seriously.

2.1% GDP for June?

And how have the unemployment numbers there changed?

Seriously.

2.1% GDP for June?

Well yes, I'd be lying if I said "the economy sucks".

I didn't say that, but I realize that doesn't matter.

Trump inherited a weak and aging upswing, and reinvigorated it.

THe increase in wages for the lower income workers, is especially impressive.

I don't know that hte deficits were dropping, but yes, them rising is a fair point.
Give these wage numbers. Every wage report historically very low given unemployment. Stop making shit up.

I consider this to be huge. It is telling that these people are the ones that have been the strongest portion of Trump's base, ie the "less educated". It seems despite their lack of education, they could figure out who was actually going to look out for their interests.

Low-Income Workers See Long-Awaited Wage Gains

"The lowest-paid Americans saw weekly earnings grow more than 5% in the second quarter from a year earlier, more than the national median gain of 1.7% for all workers, according to a quarterly survey of households produced by the Labor Department. Workers with less than a high-school diploma saw their wages grow almost 6%, and younger workers’ pay grew almost 3%.

“In a recession they are often the first to be laid off, and in the recovery they can be the last to be rehired,” said Harry Holzer, professor of public policy at Georgetown University. “It means they are the ones who benefit particularly in the current labor market.” "

I'd get cranky too if I was constantly asked to explain someones lies.
I'm not even sure they realize he's lying. The alternate universe is simply running with its own facts and figures and reality. So many of them agree with him. That's the disturbing part.
I never believe any administration's pronouncements about the economy. Whoever said it's "lies, damned lies and statistics" got it right. I go by what is happening in my neck of the woods. Obama's administration was pushing some real bullshit, too, for awhile there.
If Trump supporters are seeing an improvement in their job prospects or businesses springing up in their towns, that's why they probably think things are better. Looking around the corner at what some of this economic fiddling may cause tomorrow isn't a strength for most of us. Economics might as well be ancient Etruscan, as far as most Americans go.
Presidents always get too much credit and too much blame for the economy. There are so many variables and influences involved that all we can do is analyze data piece by piece. Since this stuff is my profession, I know this is a day-by-day, hour-by-hour thing.

Of course, partisans make it a binary issue. Partisans aren't to be taken seriously.
Trump is forcing Trickle Down to work.

'Forcing Trickle Down to work' is a meaningless statement. The results of trickle down and supply-side economics take time. Reagan tried it with increased spending and tripled the debt, which more likely ended the recession.
Reagan encouraged off-shoring and business visas.
But you already knew that; unless you’re 10 years old.

I support policy, not people.
Okay, so what do you think of the policy that led to a 2.1% GDP growth, an exploding deficit in a non-recessionary period, and the need for the Fed to be standing by to drop rates?

The tax cut of 2017.

Wasn't that tax cut law going to rocket fuel the economy and pay for themselves in the treasury? Annual GDP growth still under 3% and trillion dollar deficits from a grifter who stated that he would completely wipe-out the US debt in 8 years....
It’s obvious you don’t live in the center of commerce.

What items for the fact presented are you going to try to deny?

Donny Grifter still has not had a single year of 3% GDP growth.

Donny Grifter took President Obama's annual budget deficits and more than doubled them.

Candidate Grifter stated that he would wipe out the entire US Debt in 8 years of a Grifter presidency.

Which of those needs a center of commerce?
I trust you can put your partisan arguments aside long enough to answer this honestly, because I'm seriously just curious, not trying to start a fight:
Trump (and Ryan) explained that the better economy would cause us to be collecting much more in taxes and that would allow us to pay off the deficit a lot faster.
Has the amount we are collecting gone up appreciably? How would one find out?

You can start here... Federal Receipt and Outlay Summary

Who claimed it was the best in history? bYOur fsat assded ornge buddy. Quit trying to push this onto Obama.

Under Obama we had steady growth. I believe one of the longest periods of steady f=growth.

Obama did not say he could get 4% growth & eliminate all debt in 8 years.

Forum List

Back