Here’s a weird thought…

What if Neanderthal had survived? :eusa_eh:

:eusa_think: I wonder what kind of slaves they would have made?

`

Their survival became less and less likely as ours became more and more inevitable. One of those "this town ain't big enough for the two of us" deals. Their only shot was to hump their way into the gene pool, and it seems more than a few managed it.

Survival of the fittest individual does not govern nature. Charles Darwin did not ever state that it did. That phrase was coined by a plutocrat who hated people who were not rich & elite like him.

Plants Share Water With Their Neighbors - Sharing has been found to be a preferred alternative for some plants. They do not simply take in water through their roots and evaporate it via their leaves. In fact, ecologists have found that some plants draw deep groundwater up through their long roots during the day, and at night annually lose large amounts of the water through their shallow roots to surrounding soil, rather than saving the water to pass through their leaves the next day. This phenomenon is termed hydraulic lift.

Todd E. Dawson, formerly an associate professor at Cornell, discovered not only that hydraulic lift occurs in sugar maples (Acer saccharum) but that neighboring plants take advantage of the "free" water supply during drought periods. These plants are actually healthier than their counterparts found growing further away from the sugar maple trees. According to Dr. Dawson, "This discovery may toss the theory of competition on its ear, because we have always thought that growing next to something that uses the same resources was bad. Instead, we've found that herbaceous plants growing near a tree really benefit."

Plants not only just share water but also share work, energy, sugar & many other nutrients. The same goes for animals & humans. John Forbes Nash was awarded the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences for his discovery of this mutual benefit governing life. Cooperation between the un-fittest will overcome even the fittest among them.

It doesn't seem like you understand the terms and concepts you are trying to discuss.

My mother was not a Neanderthal

Another finding of the Genographic Project was that they saw no evidence that Neanderthals were our "recent" ancestors. This is important because we don't know what happened to these guys.

For hundreds of thousands of years, Neanderthals ruled Europe. Then our ancestors moved in and pretty quickly, the Neanderthals were gone.

Some scientists think we killed them off. Some think we were just better and so they died out. And some others think that they had babies together and we all have a little Neanderthal in us.

To figure out which idea is correct, scientists have compared our mtDNA to that of the Neanderthal's. Why did they want to look at mtDNA? Because they could.

There is a whole lot of it in a cell making it relatively easy to get. Instead of just two copies per cell like our chromosomes, our cells have thousands of copies of mtDNA.

Because there is so much of this DNA, we are able to get some from unlikely sources. Like hair or mammoths. Or Neanderthals.

The Genographic Project provides a great resource for answering the question of whether there was any monkey business between humans and Neanderthals. The scientists found no evidence of any.

As you can imagine, getting DNA from a 30,000 or 40,000 year old fossil is not a simple thing. But scientists have managed in six cases to get a chunk of 300 bases of mtDNA from Neanderthals that looks very good.

Studying these six samples showed five DNA differences that Neanderthals had that we do not. Previously scientists looked at all of the human mtDNA so far collected and did not find any that had all 5 changes. But the number of human samples was relatively small.

The folks at the Genographic Project could look at many more samples. And none of the 78,500 or so samples had more than one of these DNA differences. This suggests that there isn't any Neanderthal DNA in modern human mtDNA.

They also just looked at the whole 300 bases and compared them to the human samples. None of the human samples was as different as the Neanderthal ones. So they found no evidence that our "recent" ancestors were Neanderthals.

This is more evidence that Neanderthals simply died out and that we did not interbreed. Recently scientists have begun to look at more than mtDNA. This will either confirm these findings or tell us that we may have Neanderthals in our family tree. We'll just have to wait and see.

Ancestry, Neanderthals and Mitochondrial DNA | Understanding Genetics

http://genetics.thetech.org/original_news/news59

Last edited:
I'll be the first to admit that I don't really care. I love my mother no matter what.

It's just a fascinating look in to our own humanity and origins. I'd love to hear a Biblical explanation for Neanderthal, I can't remember any preacher ever broaching the subject back when I was a disciple.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't really care. I love my mother no matter what.

It's just a fascinating look in to our own humanity and origins. I'd love to hear a Biblical explanation for Neanderthal, I can't remember any preacher ever broaching the subject back when I was a disciple.

Genesis 4 through 11.

Last edited:
Before 1500 everyone who's anyone just KNEW the world was flat.

No they didn't.

You can't say that without first defining 'anyone'. As in everyone who's anyone.

Otherwise it could be anyone and of course someone wasn't.

"The concept of a spherical Earth dates back to ancient Greek philosophy from around the 6th century BC, but remained a matter of philosophical speculation until the 3rd century BC when Hellenistic astronomy established the spherical shape of the earth as a physical given."

Spherical Earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But I digress. The answer to the question, What happened to the Neanderthals is really very simple: They were the conservatives, unable to adapt for fear of change they died out.

Last edited:
wrong the bible says the earth is circular..not spherical...
they are two separate things.
a circle is a two dimensional reference..
a sphere is a three dimensional object..

Christian world[edit source]

Spherical earth with the four seasons. Illustration in 12th century book Liber Divinorum Operum by Hildegard of BingenIsidore of Seville
Bishop Isidore of Seville (560–636) taught in his widely read encyclopedia, the Etymologies, that the Earth was round. While some writers have thought he referred to a spherical Earth;[31] this and other writings make it clear that he considered the Earth to be disk or wheel-shaped.[32] He didn't admit the possibility of people dwelling at the antipodes, considering them as legendary[33] and noting that there was no evidence for their existence.[34]
Bede the Venerable
The monk Bede (c. 672–735) wrote in his influential treatise on computus, The Reckoning of Time, that the Earth was round, explaining the unequal length of daylight from "the roundness of the Earth, for not without reason is it called 'the orb of the world' on the pages of Holy Scripture and of ordinary literature. It is, in fact, set like a sphere in the middle of the whole universe." (De temporum ratione, 32). The large number of surviving manuscripts of The Reckoning of Time, copied to meet the Carolingian requirement that all priests should study the computus, indicates that many, if not most, priests were exposed to the idea of the sphericity of the Earth.[35] Ælfric of Eynsham paraphrased Bede into Old English, saying "Now the Earth's roundness and the Sun's orbit constitute the obstacle to the day's being equally long in every land."[36]

Bede was lucid about earth's sphericity, writing "We call the earth a globe, not as if the shape of a sphere were expressed in the diversity of plains and mountains, but because, if all things are included in the outline, the earth's circumference will represent the figure of a perfect globe... For truly it is an orb placed in the center of the universe; in its width it is like a circle, and not circular like a shield but rather like a ball, and it extends from its center with perfect roundness on all sides."[37]
Anania Shirakatsi
Spherical Earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Genesis 4 through 11.

I do like a nice, short, and to the point sermon, but brevity may be the reason your collection plate ain't exactly overflowing there pastor.

Genesis 4 through 11.

I do like a nice, short, and to the point sermon, but brevity may be the reason your collection plate ain't exactly overflowing there pastor.
he /she needs a good powerpoint presentation..

Survival of the fittest individual does not govern nature. Charles Darwin did not ever state that it did. That phrase was coined by a plutocrat who hated people who were not rich & elite like him.

Plants Share Water With Their Neighbors - Sharing has been found to be a preferred alternative for some plants. They do not simply take in water through their roots and evaporate it via their leaves. In fact, ecologists have found that some plants draw deep groundwater up through their long roots during the day, and at night annually lose large amounts of the water through their shallow roots to surrounding soil, rather than saving the water to pass through their leaves the next day. This phenomenon is termed hydraulic lift.

Todd E. Dawson, formerly an associate professor at Cornell, discovered not only that hydraulic lift occurs in sugar maples (Acer saccharum) but that neighboring plants take advantage of the "free" water supply during drought periods. These plants are actually healthier than their counterparts found growing further away from the sugar maple trees. According to Dr. Dawson, "This discovery may toss the theory of competition on its ear, because we have always thought that growing next to something that uses the same resources was bad. Instead, we've found that herbaceous plants growing near a tree really benefit."

Plants not only just share water but also share work, energy, sugar & many other nutrients. The same goes for animals & humans. John Forbes Nash was awarded the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences for his discovery of this mutual benefit governing life. Cooperation between the un-fittest will overcome even the fittest among them.

Well, I for one sure as hell appreciate living in the various communities that I do.

Trading with money ROCK$!! :rock:

So does having air conditioning and refrigeration in the average home. :thup: Very cool!

Having MY shot at a ride on the Time-line in THIS here and now makes me feel lucky indeed!
:eek: Especially when compared to Neanderthal and just about everyone up through the 19th Century.​

Forum List

Back