Housing is not a right

I know someone who has been on and off government assistance since she was 18 years old, and she says that the system of assistance sets the person up to fail, and causes the person to remain dependent.

I said to her that I think that there should be case workers assigned to 20 cases each or more if the work load is organized properly.. Reports are to be made, records kept, and help given in financial and schooling with results obtained. Drug testing should also be a big part of it. Living inspections made on properties being rented by the assistance programs etc.

And most of all we need government workers hired that don't have a biased or conflict of interest involved in doing their jobs. Otherwise drain the dam swamp already.

Everyone knows what has gone on to create these things, but people feel helpless to straighten the bullcrap out. Time to vote in the answers to these issues, and quit being fooled to place people in jobs that never intend to do the right thing, but instead see's their position as a given once obtained.

Trump is setting the tone on work ethic, and if others aren't willing to work hard, then get the hell out.

Agree 100%, although the case workers may be just as bad, if not worse, then the people they're supposed to help.

When I was young during the Reagan recession when there were no jobs, I applied for welfare. Unhappy with what they told me, I got up and told the lady to shove her welfare and she'll never see me back there unless I become physically or mentally disabled.

They bothered me for over a year to come back and accept benefits. I repeatedly told them to leave me alone the entire time. Why would these government workers want to see people off of a program that provides them a decent job?
Ok, now what was unappealing to you concerning the plan offered when applied for it or inquired about it ?? I remember applying for temporary unemployment benefits once during the crash in which caused me to lose a job due the crisis. It was either that I was the wrong candidate in their eyes or something, because they treated me like crap when I went to check it out. Yep I also left thinking screw that mess, and when got home a job interview was on the answering machine. Never looked back, but it did make me wonder why they treated me like that in that hell hole ?

If you remember at the time, working people were applying for welfare. So they created a criteria for new applicants which required you do do work for the government like clean up roads and abandoned properties and things like that. I was more than happy to do it, but the problem was I didn't want to work Monday's because that's when all the new job postings came out, and I wanted to spend the day applying for jobs.

The welfare worker told me no deal. It was work on the days they schedule you or not at all.

As a young person I didn't quite understand the politics behind our social programs. I thought they would be delighted to have an applicant that actually wanted to get a job and not be on welfare. Boy was I wrong. I got the impression the social worker was offended that's what I wanted to do. That's when I told her to shove it.

Instead I applied for every temp service in the area. ManPower called me and after the first job where they get feedback of their workers, they had me working everyday since. They even wanted me to work two shifts at different companies.

That's right about the same time to start thinking a raise would be nice.

I know someone who has been on and off government assistance since she was 18 years old, and she says that the system of assistance sets the person up to fail, and causes the person to remain dependent.

I said to her that I think that there should be case workers assigned to 20 cases each or more if the work load is organized properly.. Reports are to be made, records kept, and help given in financial and schooling with results obtained. Drug testing should also be a big part of it. Living inspections made on properties being rented by the assistance programs etc.

And most of all we need government workers hired that don't have a biased or conflict of interest involved in doing their jobs. Otherwise drain the dam swamp already.

Everyone knows what has gone on to create these things, but people feel helpless to straighten the bullcrap out. Time to vote in the answers to these issues, and quit being fooled to place people in jobs that never intend to do the right thing, but instead see's their position as a given once obtained.

Trump is setting the tone on work ethic, and if others aren't willing to work hard, then get the hell out.

Agree 100%, although the case workers may be just as bad, if not worse, then the people they're supposed to help.

When I was young during the Reagan recession when there were no jobs, I applied for welfare. Unhappy with what they told me, I got up and told the lady to shove her welfare and she'll never see me back there unless I become physically or mentally disabled.

They bothered me for over a year to come back and accept benefits. I repeatedly told them to leave me alone the entire time. Why would these government workers want to see people off of a program that provides them a decent job?

Not quite sure if they give it that much thought. My concern is how responsible these case workers would be with money that's not theirs.
I think for years we have had a problem of hiring the wrong cases workers in these jobs. Yep, they may have been dishing out benefits to groups they support over and above supporting all Americans that may have had a special need situation in their life. I bet the stories are out there big time if the nation were to plug into them.

why do so many libs keep saying that it is?
B/c leftism has the mentality of a spoiled child.

they literally want the government to give them everything, literally everything.

You can't expect people who take seriously a phrase like "It depends what the meaning of the word 'is' is" to understand the difference between a right and an entitlement.

Why? Because Proggies don't believe in private property (in addition to the other natural rights of free people). They also worship NEED, so if a member of a favored identity group NEEDS something, the Proggies are perfectly copacetic with stealing the property of an unfavored identity group member.

At bottom, all they really care about is POWER over other people. The need thing is to buy the support of those who are recipients of the redistribution.

Last edited:

Not quite sure if they give it that much thought. My concern is how responsible these case workers would be with money that's not theirs.
I think for years we have had a problem of hiring the wrong cases workers in these jobs. Yep, they may have been dishing out benefits to groups they support over and above supporting all Americans that may have had a special need situation in their life. I bet the stories are out there big time if the nation were to plug into them.

Not sure, may be like politicians, the first week they may have ambitions, by the second or third week they've been smacked down enough to get them to tow the line.

I don't think the problem is the people involved. They, all of them - the case workers, the recipients of the benefits, etc... - are just doing the best they can under the circumstances. It's the circumstances that need to be changed. The laws and policies driving the dysfunction are the problem, not the poor people caught up in the shit storm.

The far right and the alt right are the problems. The cultural resurgence of the fifties and sixties since 2016 are now stalled and will be receding ever faster after the coming elections.

I love the whimpering of the far right. A basic and common safety net for all Americans is in part the purpose of our government.

They don't. They sign people up and process the paperwork for benefits ( that's it) They will even go so far as to tell them how to fudge the system when they are denied due to making too much per hour to quailify. What they won't do? Enforce the rules such as attending the mandatory parenting etc classes recipients are required to go to to continue benefits.

Ran into a similar situation when my kids were in grade school. My son's teacher knew we weren't well off and kept pushing me to sign up for the school's free lunch program for lower income students. At one point, after me repeatedly refusing to sign up (I wasn't rich, but I could afford to feed my kids), she confessed why it was important to the school that I sign up: the school was very near a threshold - if they had enough low-income students they qualified for special benefits from the state government. Yep. Anyway ...
Exactly. They want the numbers...they could care less about hungry kids..that's why they make everyone fill out the paperwork weather you qualify or not.

Ran into a similar situation when my kids were in grade school. My son's teacher knew we weren't well off and kept pushing me to sign up for the school's free lunch program for lower income students. At one point, after me repeatedly refusing to sign up (I wasn't rich, but I could afford to feed my kids), she confessed why it was important to the school that I sign up: the school was very near a threshold - if they had enough low-income students they qualified for special benefits from the state government. Yep. Anyway ...
Exactly. They want the numbers...they could care less about hungry kids..that's why they make everyone fill out the paperwork weather you qualify or not.

See, I wouldn't say that. The teacher was a good person, and I think she really did care. From her perspective, scoring more benes for the school would help more kids.

You prefer them shitting on the sidewalk in L.A. because they're living on the street with no options. I'm pretty sure you were strongly in favor of that, weren't you?

Decent people don't shit on the sidewalk, whether they have a place to live or not. People who shit on the street aren't going to behave decently, whether you give them a house or not.

Do NOT try to BS us that people are shitting on the sidewalk only because the government hasn't shelled out for an apartment, and if it did, they'll straighten right up and be indistinguishable from your average bank manager.

And if that is a problem, then why doesn't the city provide a port-a-potty so they don't shit on the sidewalks?

For starters, because they aren't doing it because of a lack of bathrooms. It's like the popular leftist trope of "crime is caused by poverty". No, any time humans are behaving like animals, it's because there is no expectation being put upon them to behave as anything else.

It generally believed that people need food, water and shelter to survive. Since the Right to Life is listed in the declaration of independence as an inalienable right, anyone who believes in inalienable rights would agree that housing is inherently a right.

No, you have a right to access those things, but not a right to be provided those things. Big difference.

Your rights end where mine begin.

These people want me to provide them with housing?

Why don’t liberals just sponsor homeless people to live in their spare bedrooms? Problem solved,

I unfortunately live next door to HUD people. Nice and quiet here until they moved in. Now they wake me at night because these lowlifes don't work or only work a few hours. They have BBQ parties for their friends; likely food bought with food stamps, and they are in the suburbs.

So where does this right exist that I work at least 40 a week to live here, and they get to move in virtually free and not work? As for the adults, all they'd have to do is lose about 200 lbs each and they could easily work. They have the energy to setup these parties of theirs all the time, I'm sure they have enough energy to support themselves.
They BBQ?
OMG! Where does the depravity end?

Most people look at these kinds of issues very "locally" - they think in terms of someone else getting something for nothing and it pisses them off. But that is the least of the problems with the welfare state. The real issue is the power that it gives to authoritarian government.

When government controls your health care, your housing, your food supply, your job -- what are you going to say when they tell you get to work building "the wall"?
I won't get into a welfare argument because I tried researching the TRUTH about welfare and the "stats" were all over the place, depending on what is included in those numbers. So they are highly manipulative "facts" and I will never know how many Americans are actually having their housing subsidized, their healthcare supplied and their grocery bill augmented by SNAP.
So I'm not going there. I can only say, from what I see irl, that is not something we need to worry about at this time.

In Maine, unless you have a documented disability, you can't get any welfare unless you have children. A lot of them would happily be working and out of the "system" but the cost of daycare would make it impossible. That and the loss of healthcare. We have to care for the kids, give them the best start we can, or this cycle of generational poverty will never end. So I believe that safe, affordable daycare for all parents should be a priority. It is definitely a huge problem here.

It generally believed that people need food, water and shelter to survive. Since the Right to Life is listed in the declaration of independence as an inalienable right, anyone who believes in inalienable rights would agree that housing is inherently a right.

No, you have a right to access those things, but not a right to be provided those things. Big difference.

Your rights end where mine begin.

These people want me to provide them with housing?

Why don’t liberals just sponsor homeless people to live in their spare bedrooms? Problem solved,

I unfortunately live next door to HUD people. Nice and quiet here until they moved in. Now they wake me at night because these lowlifes don't work or only work a few hours. They have BBQ parties for their friends; likely food bought with food stamps, and they are in the suburbs.

So where does this right exist that I work at least 40 a week to live here, and they get to move in virtually free and not work? As for the adults, all they'd have to do is lose about 200 lbs each and they could easily work. They have the energy to setup these parties of theirs all the time, I'm sure they have enough energy to support themselves.
They BBQ?
OMG! Where does the depravity end?
Well it's like my friends that me and the wife knows, and yep they confirmed the same story Ray has... LOL.... They said they ain't got a problem with people BBQing but when it goes on for 4 days straight like they experienced recently it was like Come onnnnnn really.
I still don't get it, but whatever you can find to diss your poorer neighbors, I guess it flies for you.

Forum List

Back