How American gun deaths and gun laws compare to Canada's

This research shows that guns are the most effective way to prevent rape...

And here we have studies that show that guns are the most effective way to stop a rape.....
Guns Effective Defense Against Rape

A woman using a gun is less likely to be raped and more likely to not be injured during the attack....

However, most recent studies with improved methodology are consistently showing that the more forceful the resistance, the lower the risk of a completed rape, with no increase in physical injury. Sarah Ullman's original research (Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 1998) and critical review of past studies (Criminal Justice and Behavior, 1997) are especially valuable in solidifying this conclusion.

I wish to single out one particular subtype of physical resistance: Use of a weapon, and especially a firearm, is statistically a woman's best means of resistance, greatly enhancing her odds of escaping both rape and injury, compared to any other strategy of physical or verbal resistance. This conclusion is drawn from four types of information.

First, a 1989 study (Furby, Journal of Interpersonal Violence) found that both male and female survey respondents judged a gun to be the most effective means that a potential rape victim could use to fend off the assault. Rape "experts" considered it a close second, after eye-gouging.

Second, raw data from the 1979-1985 installments of the Justice Department's annual National Crime Victim Survey show that when a woman resists a stranger rape with a gun, the probability of completion was 0.1 percent and of victim injury 0.0 percent, compared to 31 percent and 40 percent, respectively, for all stranger rapes (Kleck, Social Problems, 1990).

Third, a recent paper (Southwick, Journal of Criminal Justice, 2000) analyzed victim resistance to violent crimes generally, with robbery, aggravated assault and rape considered together.

Women who resisted with a gun were 2.5 times more likely to escape without injury than those who did not resist and 4 times more likely to escape uninjured than those who resisted with any means other than a gun.

Similarly, their property losses in a robbery were reduced more than six-fold and almost three-fold, respectively, compared to the other categories of resistance strategy.

Fourth, we have two studies in the last 20 years that directly address the outcomes of women who resist attempted rape with a weapon. (Lizotte, Journal of Quantitative Criminology, 1986; Kleck, Social Problems, 1990.) The former concludes,"Further, women who resist rape with a gun or knife dramatically decrease their probability of completion." (Lizotte did not analyze victim injuries apart from the rape itself.) The latter concludes that "resistance with a gun or knife is the most effective form of resistance for preventing completion of a rape"; this is accomplished "without creating any significant additional risk of other injury."

The best conclusion from available scientific data, then, is when avoidance of rape has failed and one must choose between being raped and resisting, a woman's best option is to resist with a gun in her hands.

Sure for that tiny fraction of a percent that are defendable. But if you really want to avoid rape see the study that was done in Canada.

What's 43 times 0

Oh yeah 0

My weapons have a more than 3 decade track record of never harming anyone living in any home I have ever lived in

besides most of the deaths used in that Kellerman study (84%) to be exact were suicides and suicides aren't crimes

Didn't say they were crimes. But a lot of those people wouldn't be dead if there wasn't a gun in the house.

Also, the vast majority of lawn darts never killed anyone either. We still banned them.

Almost all of those people wouldn't be dead if they hadn't married violent people……or people who were violent criminals or people who had drug and alcohol problems….those are the real factors in domestic killings.

If you are a normal person and have a gun you are not going to shoot your family with it. No matter how mad you get, or how late dinner is. The issue is people with long histories of violence, and criminal behavior as well as drug and alcohol problems…….and the signs are usually multiple calls to the police…..

Well didn't you know that you're 100% less likely to get murdered by a spouse if you never get married don't you?

I know what you meant, but read what you wrote, and you'll see why I had a good laugh.

If you are a normal person and have a gun you are not going to shoot your family with it. No matter how mad you get, or how late dinner is. The issue is people with long histories of violence, and criminal behavior as well as drug and alcohol problems…….and the signs are usually multiple calls to the police…..

You know what, guy, the one person I knew of who shot his wife seemed like a regular guy to the rest of us in the old neighborhood. He had never committed a crime, he had a regular job. And then one day an argument got out of hand and he shot her.

Now, if you really want to use the standard, "Calls to the cops", then the cops should be able to confiscate your penis substitutes if they are called to your house for any reason. That would solve a lot of problems down the road.

For christ's sake it's like saying you're 90 times more likely to die if you attempt suicide than if you don't.

Adding in the suicide stat is bullshit and is used solely to pad your numbers in your bogus stats

Suicide is a choice if someone chooses to die that's a far cry from actually being a victim of gun violence

I found out a friend had a teenager who just tried to commit suicide by drinking bleach.

Guess what. He lived.

He wouldn't have had a gun been available.

Yes, guns make suicide a lot easier to do. So they are a problem.

Says you?

Since only about 13% of all rapes and attempted rapes are reported you really have no fucking clue how many could have been or were stopped by an intended victim who was armed

Link?

We know a lot. Many victims aren't adults and can't have a gun. Drugs and alcohol are often involved so a gun couldn't be used. Often it is a boyfriend who won't accept no after already naked, not going to use a gun then either. Sorry almost no rapes are defendable with a gun.
I'll amend that because the site I got the 13% gave a link to stats I couldn't corroborate

But that said

The Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) reports that the majority of rapes and sexual assaults perpetrated against women and girls in the United States between 1992 and 2000 were not reported to the police. Only 36 percent of rapes, 34 percent of attempted rapes, and 26 percent of sexual assaults were reported. [Oct 26, 2010

So you still have 66% of rapes and attempted rapes on women not reported and an even higher percentage of sexual assaults are not reported so I'll stick with the assertion that you have no fucking clue how many rapes, attempted rapes or sexual assaults were or could have been prevented if the intended victim was armed

The rapes not reported aren't the type that are defensable with a gun. They are the type I mentioned. You think a woman gets raped in the street by a stranger and doesn't report it? Those are reported.

No, not true. Those are failed to be reported for the same reason that other rapes aren't...feelings of shame, embarassment.......any number of reasons...which is why women should use guns to stop them.

No you just want to sell guns. As I have proven to you many times almost none are defendable with a gun. They are ore likely to shoot themselves than use it in defense.

You haven't proven that the 66% of unreported sexual assaults and rapes could or could not or were not prevented by the victim being armed

You merely said they wouldn't have been

IOW you gave an opinion without knowing any of the details on those unreported crimes

For christ's sake it's like saying you're 90 times more likely to die if you attempt suicide than if you don't.

Adding in the suicide stat is bullshit and is used solely to pad your numbers in your bogus stats

Suicide is a choice if someone chooses to die that's a far cry from actually being a victim of gun violence

I found out a friend had a teenager who just tried to commit suicide by drinking bleach.

Guess what. He lived.

He lived for now until the next time he wants to kill himself

And people fail suicide attempts with guns too

What's 43 times 0

Oh yeah 0

My weapons have a more than 3 decade track record of never harming anyone living in any home I have ever lived in

besides most of the deaths used in that Kellerman study (84%) to be exact were suicides and suicides aren't crimes

Didn't say they were crimes. But a lot of those people wouldn't be dead if there wasn't a gun in the house.

Also, the vast majority of lawn darts never killed anyone either. We still banned them.

Almost all of those people wouldn't be dead if they hadn't married violent people……or people who were violent criminals or people who had drug and alcohol problems….those are the real factors in domestic killings.

Well didn't you know that you're 100% less likely to get murdered by a spouse if you never get married don't you?

I know what you meant, but read what you wrote, and you'll see why I had a good laugh.

yes yes should have been your spouse

Link?

We know a lot. Many victims aren't adults and can't have a gun. Drugs and alcohol are often involved so a gun couldn't be used. Often it is a boyfriend who won't accept no after already naked, not going to use a gun then either. Sorry almost no rapes are defendable with a gun.
I'll amend that because the site I got the 13% gave a link to stats I couldn't corroborate

But that said

The Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) reports that the majority of rapes and sexual assaults perpetrated against women and girls in the United States between 1992 and 2000 were not reported to the police. Only 36 percent of rapes, 34 percent of attempted rapes, and 26 percent of sexual assaults were reported. [Oct 26, 2010

So you still have 66% of rapes and attempted rapes on women not reported and an even higher percentage of sexual assaults are not reported so I'll stick with the assertion that you have no fucking clue how many rapes, attempted rapes or sexual assaults were or could have been prevented if the intended victim was armed

The rapes not reported aren't the type that are defensable with a gun. They are the type I mentioned. You think a woman gets raped in the street by a stranger and doesn't report it? Those are reported.

No, not true. Those are failed to be reported for the same reason that other rapes aren't...feelings of shame, embarassment.......any number of reasons...which is why women should use guns to stop them.

No you just want to sell guns. As I have proven to you many times almost none are defendable with a gun. They are ore likely to shoot themselves than use it in defense.

You haven't proven that the 66% of unreported sexual assaults and rapes could or could not or were not prevented by the victim being armed

You merely said they wouldn't have been

IOW you gave an opinion without knowing any of the details on those unreported crimes

Your 66% number doesn't matter. The stats I gave were for all rapes, not just those reported to the police.

And here we have studies that show that guns are the most effective way to stop a rape.....

A woman using a gun is less likely to be raped and more likely to not be injured during the attack....

However, most recent studies with improved methodology are consistently showing that the more forceful the resistance, the lower the risk of a completed rape, with no increase in physical injury. Sarah Ullman's original research (Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 1998) and critical review of past studies (Criminal Justice and Behavior, 1997) are especially valuable in solidifying this conclusion.

I wish to single out one particular subtype of physical resistance: Use of a weapon, and especially a firearm, is statistically a woman's best means of resistance, greatly enhancing her odds of escaping both rape and injury, compared to any other strategy of physical or verbal resistance. This conclusion is drawn from four types of information.

First, a 1989 study (Furby, Journal of Interpersonal Violence) found that both male and female survey respondents judged a gun to be the most effective means that a potential rape victim could use to fend off the assault. Rape "experts" considered it a close second, after eye-gouging.

Second, raw data from the 1979-1985 installments of the Justice Department's annual National Crime Victim Survey show that when a woman resists a stranger rape with a gun, the probability of completion was 0.1 percent and of victim injury 0.0 percent, compared to 31 percent and 40 percent, respectively, for all stranger rapes (Kleck, Social Problems, 1990).

Third, a recent paper (Southwick, Journal of Criminal Justice, 2000) analyzed victim resistance to violent crimes generally, with robbery, aggravated assault and rape considered together.

Women who resisted with a gun were 2.5 times more likely to escape without injury than those who did not resist and 4 times more likely to escape uninjured than those who resisted with any means other than a gun.

Similarly, their property losses in a robbery were reduced more than six-fold and almost three-fold, respectively, compared to the other categories of resistance strategy.

Fourth, we have two studies in the last 20 years that directly address the outcomes of women who resist attempted rape with a weapon. (Lizotte, Journal of Quantitative Criminology, 1986; Kleck, Social Problems, 1990.) The former concludes,"Further, women who resist rape with a gun or knife dramatically decrease their probability of completion." (Lizotte did not analyze victim injuries apart from the rape itself.) The latter concludes that "resistance with a gun or knife is the most effective form of resistance for preventing completion of a rape"; this is accomplished "without creating any significant additional risk of other injury."

The best conclusion from available scientific data, then, is when avoidance of rape has failed and one must choose between being raped and resisting, a woman's best option is to resist with a gun in her hands.

Sure for that tiny fraction of a percent that are defendable. But if you really want to avoid rape see the study that was done in Canada.

Sorry……there is only so much…don't drink till your drunk at parties and park near lights that will help you…..when you are attacked by a violent sexual predator a gun is your best defense.

Guess what. He lived.

Tell that to the Japanese, South Koreans and Chinese…as well as several European countries…...

You know what, guy, the one person I knew of who shot his wife seemed like a regular guy to the rest of us in the old neighborhood. He had never committed a crime, he had a regular job. And then one day an argument got out of hand and he shot her.

Now, if you really want to use the standard, "Calls to the cops", then the cops should be able to confiscate your penis substitutes if they are called to your house for any reason. That would solve a lot of problems down the road.

And of course what was actually going on in the house wasn't known. Normal people do not just snap one day and shoot their wives over an argument. You can bet there was a long and disturbing history of abuse in that house that no one outside of that house knew about.

Sorry……there is only so much…don't drink till your drunk at parties and park near lights that will help you…..when you are attacked by a violent sexual predator a gun is your best defense.

What they did in Canada has far better results than just carrying a gun. Most rapes are not defensable with a gun.

What they did in Canada has far better results than just carrying a gun. Most rapes are not defensable with a gun.

So it is better to just be raped when a gun could stop a rape…got it. Just lay back and try to enjoy it……..because if you can't determine before the rape if it is the type of rape that can be stopped by a gun, then you can't carry a gun at all…..

Yes…….brain could you please explain which of those Canadian techniques would work in this situation……Class…pay attention…

Wichita Massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Their crime spree culminated on December 14, when the Carrs invaded a home and subjected five young men and women to robbery, sexual abuse, and murder. The brothers broke into a house chosen nearly at random where Brad Heyka, Heather Muller, Aaron Sander, Jason Befort and his girlfriend, a young woman identified as 'H.G.', all in their twenties, were spending the night. They were all working adults: Befort was a local high school teacher; Heyka, a director of finance with a local financial services company; Muller, a local preschool teacher; and Sandler, a former financial analyst who had been studying to become a priest. H.G. is a teacher.

The Carrs initially scoured the house for valuables. H.G. learned of Befort's intent to propose marriage to her when the Carrs discovered the engagement ring he had hidden in a can of popcorn. After the search, the Carrs forced their hostages to strip naked, bound and detained them, and subjected them to various forms of sexual abuse, including rape and oral sex.[7] The brothers forced the men to engage in sexual acts with the women, and the women with each other. They drove the victims to ATMs to empty their bank accounts, before taking them to a snowy deserted soccer complex on the outskirts of town. There they shot the five execution-style in the backs of their heads. The Carr brothers drove Befort's truck over the bodies and left them for dead.

H.G. survived her head wound at the soccer field because her plastic barrette deflected the bullet. After the killers left, she walked naked for more than a mile in freezing weather to seek first aid and shelter at a house. Before getting medical treatment, she reported the incident and descriptions of her attackers to the couple who took her in, even before the police arrived.

So it is better to just be raped when a gun could stop a rape…got it. Just lay back and try to enjoy it……..because if you can't determine before the rape if it is the type of rape that can be stopped by a gun, then you can't carry a gun at all…..

Why carry a gun all the time for something so unlikely to happen? More likely to be involved in accidwntal shooting.

Yes…….brain could you please explain which of those Canadian techniques would work in this situation……Class…pay attention…

Their crime spree culminated on December 14, when the Carrs invaded a home and subjected five young men and women to robbery, sexual abuse, and murder. The brothers broke into a house chosen nearly at random where Brad Heyka, Heather Muller, Aaron Sander, Jason Befort and his girlfriend, a young woman identified as 'H.G.', all in their twenties, were spending the night. They were all working adults: Befort was a local high school teacher; Heyka, a director of finance with a local financial services company; Muller, a local preschool teacher; and Sandler, a former financial analyst who had been studying to become a priest. H.G. is a teacher.

The Carrs initially scoured the house for valuables. H.G. learned of Befort's intent to propose marriage to her when the Carrs discovered the engagement ring he had hidden in a can of popcorn. After the search, the Carrs forced their hostages to strip naked, bound and detained them, and subjected them to various forms of sexual abuse, including rape and oral sex.[7] The brothers forced the men to engage in sexual acts with the women, and the women with each other. They drove the victims to ATMs to empty their bank accounts, before taking them to a snowy deserted soccer complex on the outskirts of town. There they shot the five execution-style in the backs of their heads. The Carr brothers drove Befort's truck over the bodies and left them for dead.

H.G. survived her head wound at the soccer field because her plastic barrette deflected the bullet. After the killers left, she walked naked for more than a mile in freezing weather to seek first aid and shelter at a house. Before getting medical treatment, she reported the incident and descriptions of her attackers to the couple who took her in, even before the police arrived.

We are a country of over 300 million. One example means about nothing. Stop being so scared. I don't carry and like most who don't have not been a victim of any crime.

We are a country of over 300 million. One example means about nothing. Stop being so scared. I don't carry and like most who don't have not been a victim of any crime.

Is it hard being you brain…….or is it like being the guy from Being There….you simply travel through life, completely clueless about it….and somehow it all works out for you because everyone around you takes care of you…….how nice for you...

Why carry a gun all the time for something so unlikely to happen? More likely to be involved in accidwntal shooting.

357 million guns in private hands…accidental gun deaths in 2013…. 505. In a country of over 320 million people….

And I guess you do think that women should just relax and enjoy the rape……are you posting from a prison somewhere?

Is it hard being you brain…….or is it like being the guy from Being There….you simply travel through life, completely clueless about it….and somehow it all works out for you because everyone around you takes care of you…….how nice for you...

I'm pretty sure it is much harder being you. You are scared and duped by the defense industry. While stats show you are very safe you still remain paranoid and scared. Kinda sad really. You pay them and they make you paranoid.

357 million guns in private hands…accidental gun deaths in 2013…. 505. In a country of over 320 million people….

And I guess you do think that women should just relax and enjoy the rape……are you posting from a prison somewhere?

I've already posted the best way to avoid being raped. You are just trying to sell guns when most rapes aren't defensable with a gun. You should really be ashamed.

Forum List

Back