How are we going to stop the liberal war on free speech and conservative voices?

Very disturbing what they did to those women. A 'Danger to the Community?' They were banned for simply being Pro-Trump. It's why i've been warning folks about Communists/Democrats for years. Absolute control is their goal. They wanna destroy the Constitution. They're dangerous Authoritarians, leading us to Totalitarianism. Americans better understand what's going on.

Grampa Murked U, this is not a Freedom of Speech issue, it's a cultural/socio-political issue.

The Regressive Left is going to do everything it can to control what is heard, seen and read. And because it has near total control of social media, popular culture and education, and because it has a lion's share of the media, they get what they want.

Nothing they're doing is illegal or unconstitutional, per se, although it clearly flies in the face of the spirit of the First Amendment. But remember, those same people say the Constitution was written by rich white slave rapists anyway, so who cares.

I don't see anything that will change this. They're going for it now.

If conservatives can find anybody in their ranks who didn’t refuse higher education and knowledge because both are “too liberal,” I’m sure they can easily create a competitor. Buuut I doubt they have anybody like that. They’re still hoping robots forget how to bang on rocks so they can get their coal jobs back.

Right, that's why liberals are so dominant on talk radio.
So, are right wingers being stifled or not then?

Forcing Facebook to follow the 1st amendment isn't anyone giving up liberty.
Zuckerberg can still post on his own forum and others his viewpoints. So can everyone else.

Simple....

YOU stop using Facebook and Google....instead of whining that someone ELSE should protect you.

Fine, YOU stop going outside your house.

The internet is part of the commons, sites like facebook have become part of the commons. Letting the suppress speech based on their own political views is tantamount to letting government do it.
So is this a right wing call for a return of the "Fairness Doctrine" and Net Neutrality?

Grampa Murked U, this is not a Freedom of Speech issue, it's a cultural/socio-political issue.

The Regressive Left is going to do everything it can to control what is heard, seen and read. And because it has near total control of social media, popular culture and education, and because it has a lion's share of the media, they get what they want.

Nothing they're doing is illegal or unconstitutional, per se, although it clearly flies in the face of the spirit of the First Amendment. But remember, those same people say the Constitution was written by rich white slave rapists anyway, so who cares.

I don't see anything that will change this. They're going for it now.

Right, they were banned for being Pro-Trump. Communists/Democrats despise our Constitution. They want it scrapped. This Facebook move is very predictable. The guy who runs it, is a huge Democrat donor. He's been systematically banning Trump supporters since the Election. He's a real POS.

Zuckerberg can still post on his own forum and others his viewpoints. So can everyone else.

Simple....

YOU stop using Facebook and Google....instead of whining that someone ELSE should protect you.

Fine, YOU stop going outside your house.

The internet is part of the commons, sites like facebook have become part of the commons. Letting the suppress speech based on their own political views is tantamount to letting government do it.
So is this a right wing call for a return of the "Fairness Doctrine" and Net Neutrality?

Not really, more of an extension of the concept of the commons into the digital age.

Fairness doctrine forces a broadcaster to give equal time to opposing viewpoints, net neutrality involves data prioritization.

This wouldn't impact facebooks own speech, it would just say they can't favor one viewpoint over the other intrinsically.

From colleges to YouTube and now Diamond & Silk on Facebook.
Facebook to Diamond and Silk: Your content, brand ‘dangerous to the community’

Two conservative black women being targeted as a "danger to the community"

Seriously? Gtfo with this stupidity. They only thing they are a danger to is your oppression of conservative voices.

This shit has to be put to bed. Further segmenting our society & suppressing their voice is not the way you win a political debate.
Challenge them, argue with them, present them with an opposing view but to just outright silence them?

Just proves to me that the left are increasingly alarmed that their grasp on the media & their ability to force the conversation in a certain direction are under threat. They are clearly scared to death of free speech.

Sadly the “conservative voices” aren’t speaking up for conservatism any more. What passes for conservatism today is a form of authoritarian nativism and racism which is in fact dangerous to the free press, to racial minorities and those who espouse freedom of religion. And by “freedom of religion”, I mean any religious group other than evangelical Christians.

The American Republican Party is rapidly morphing into the American Nazi Party in everything but name. Donald Trump is an authoritarian populist and a danger to freedom and democracy. Things will only get worse under his so-called leadership.

A sad commentary on a once great party.

Seriously? Gtfo with this stupidity. They only thing they are a danger to is your oppression of conservative voices.

This shit has to be put to bed. Further segmenting our society & suppressing their voice is not the way you win a political debate.
Challenge them, argue with them, present them with an opposing view but to just outright silence them?

Just proves to me that the left are increasingly alarmed that their grasp on the media & their ability to force the conversation in a certain direction are under threat. They are clearly scared to death of free speech.

Don’t use Facebook. Stupid question.

Sadly the “conservative voices” aren’t speaking up for conservatism any more. What passes for conservatism today is a form of authoritarian nativism and racism which is in fact dangerous to the free press, to racial minorities and those who espouse freedom of religion. And by “freedom of religion”, I mean any religious group other than evangelical Christians.

The American Republican Party is rapidly morphing into the American Nazi Party in everything but name. Donald Trump is an authoritarian populist and a danger to freedom and democracy. Things will only get worse under his so-called leadership.

Utter and absolute bullshit. You combine fear-mongering with outright falsehoods.

Which side has people saying the other side has no right to their opinion?
Which side faces twitter bans, facebook bans, and other social media removals?
Which side has people disrupting speeches by the other, often with the complicit aid of the people in power?

Your side wants to force people to do things they don't want to do OR ELSE, force people to kowtow to the government mommy OR ELSE and centralize all power as far away from the people as possible. Your side LUVS bureaucrats because you know once they have power, they can make regulations that are near impossible to fight or overturn. Your side uses courts that ignore the constitution to get what you want, then run and hide behind false interpretations of it when called out.

Dems want everyone to be like them, act like them,and live like them, or be too scared to fight back.

You and your ilk are 1000 times a greater threat to our country than Trump ever will be.

Utter and absolute bullshit. You combine fear-mongering with outright falsehoods.

Which side has people saying the other side has no right to their opinion?
Which side faces twitter bans, facebook bans, and other social media removals?
Which side has people disrupting speeches by the other, often with the complicit aid of the people in power?

Your side wants to force people to do things they don't want to do OR ELSE, force people to kowtow to the government mommy OR ELSE and centralize all power as far away from the people as possible. Your side LUVS bureaucrats because you know once they have power, they can make regulations that are near impossible to fight or overturn. Your side uses courts that ignore the constitution to get what you want, then run and hide behind false interpretations of it when called out.

Dems want everyone to be like them, act like them,and live like them, or be too scared to fight back.

You and your ilk are 1000 times a greater threat to our country than Trump ever will be.
She's not even a us citizen. Just ignore her tripe

There's nothing to follow. The First Amendment doesn't apply to non-governmental entities.

My argument is facebook is the digital age's equivalent to the commons, and thus open for government regulation.

At least to the level of imposing the 1st amendment on them.

There's nothing to follow. The First Amendment doesn't apply to non-governmental entities.

My argument is facebook is the digital age's equivalent to the commons, and thus open for government regulation.

Then government should seize Facebook outright and declare it public property. Until then, it is NOT the "commons".

Then government should seize Facebook outright and declare it public property. Until then, it is NOT the "commons".

Doesn't have to be that way. It uses public/utility/common bandwidth to transmit its information and create it's common space.

Private management of the commons can be done, such as private management of roads and rails, or ports under government direction.

How do we stop the GOP Trifecta?

Ignorance

Lying

Smears

Did I just hear you say you were going to stop the GOP with ignorance, lying, and smears?

Well, at least you're honest.

Why is it the partisans cannot grasp that free speech is a function of the Govt, not of private companies.

I don't notice anyone talking about "freedom of speech", except for leftists trying to rationalize/divert. One can object to censorship - and be correct - without having to invoke the First Amendment.

Why is it the partisans cannot grasp that free speech is a function of the Govt, not of private companies.

Why can't you grasp that the OP is talking about the general inability of progressives to even tolerate opposing viewpoints?

It's an inability that most of our population suffers from.

I'm fine with calling them out for being closed-minded, and quite illiberal. But I think it's dangerous to conflate PC censorship, done by private citizens and business, as a violation of free speech. And not just as a technical legal matter. A media outlet making decisions about what it will, and won't, publish IS free speech. It's just free speech you disagree with.

That said, the anger of the culture wars is fueling fascist yearnings on both sides. It's a real danger.

You realize that YOU were the first one to bring up "free speech", right? Looks remarkably like a deflection to me.

Why can't you grasp that the OP is talking about the general inability of progressives to even tolerate opposing viewpoints?

Yeah, and it is just the progressives...please. The idiots on both ends of the spectrum are basically identical.

Really? Where is the comparable censorship on the right?

I don't notice anyone talking about "freedom of speech", except for leftists trying to rationalize/divert. One can object to censorship - and be correct - without having to invoke the First Amendment.

The prohibition against censorship only applies to the Govt, private entities can censor as damn well much as they please. If you do not like their censorship, do not use their product. Keep the damn government out of it.

It's an inability that most of our population suffers from.

I'm fine with calling them out for being closed-minded, and quite illiberal. But I think it's dangerous to conflate PC censorship, done by private citizens and business, as a violation of free speech. And not just as a technical legal matter. A media outlet making decisions about what it will, and won't, publish IS free speech. It's just free speech you disagree with.

That said, the anger of the culture wars is fueling fascist yearnings on both sides. It's a real danger.

The problem is places like facebook and youtube and twitter, aren't the media in the traditional sense, they are more of a form of an electronic commons that takes the place of the old village square.

I know it goes against my libertarian leanings, but I almost think it's time to treat these places AS public commons, and thus obligated to protect the Rights of people using them, just as government would protect the village square.

I disagree. I think it's time to introduce them to the joys of the free market, and start looking for the Next Big Thing to replace them. If it's not out there today, it will be tomorrow.

Forum List

Back