How are we going to stop the liberal war on free speech and conservative voices?

making them follow the 1st amendment requires no subsidies, in fact it improves their bottom line because it renders them protected if content that is offensive ends up being posted.

Look,
I agree with you.....but reality is, they are an independent business. We REALLY don't want government interfering with business like that.

Why don't you instead spend your time convincing so called Right Wingers to not USE FACEBOOK?

it's a very specific business, that uses the internet (a regulated medium of information transmission) to create a digital common area that is open to anyone who wants to sign up.

Again, I see it as the 21st century version of the town square or steps of city hall.

cinemagraph_tissue.gif

There was once a time when American liberals said that, while I don't agree with your view, I'll fight till the death for your right to express it. Liberals no longer have this attitude.

Incorrect.

Making Facebook and other large social media platforms a part of a new digital commons would be a step before we have to start thinking of open violent resistance.

Good luck. Hold your breath.......
Why would the side that's gaining the upper hand need to make such concessions?
If anything, you'll be forced to subsidize Facebook and other liberal outlets......like UNIONS

You MAY instead, want to focus on the fact that the US and Russia are escalating tensions and we're dangerously close to a conflict with Russia......

In Spite of the imbeciles on this forum who keep saying Trump and Putin are lovers
Facebook likely invites government regulation. It would ensure their monopoly is not sunk by competitors

I know. Move to AM radio. Where liberals fear to tread......

Here's your rally cry:

"Bring Back the Fairness Doctrine."
For social media sites only!

There was once a time when American liberals said that, while I don't agree with your view, I'll fight till the death for your right to express it. Liberals no longer have this attitude.

I remember that. That was back when American conservatives understood what freedom of speech meant.
There is a reason I never mentioned the first amendment. I never claimed their rights were violated.

What I said was assholes like you are turning speech in the United States of America into a weapon with which to bludgeon your political foes. And take every opportunity you can to suppress their voice.
Free speech is the First Amendment; absent government preemption there is no 'war' on free speech and expression, private persons have neither the authority nor means to preempt or limit speech.

Your thread premise is a ridiculous lie, the product of your ignorance and stupidity.

Free speech is the First Amendment; absent government preemption there is no 'war' on free speech and expression, private persons have neither the authority nor means to preempt or limit speech.
Your thread premise is a ridiculous lie, the product of your ignorance and stupidity.

Uh...no...his premise is not ridiculous. If the tables were turned you'd be just as or more upset.

Actually, his sentiments are well founded. The Left controls most of this nations media across the board.
In much of that arena, schools, universities, Facebook, Google etc.....the Left does IN FACT suppress the Right's voice.

However, instead of blaming the Left, I blame those on the Right for continuing to feed the Left's cash cow in spite of the abuse.

From colleges to YouTube and now Diamond & Silk on Facebook.
Facebook to Diamond and Silk: Your content, brand ‘dangerous to the community’

Two conservative black women being targeted as a "danger to the community"

Seriously? Gtfo with this stupidity. They only thing they are a danger to is your oppression of conservative voices.

This shit has to be put to bed. Further segmenting our society & suppressing their voice is not the way you win a political debate.
Challenge them, argue with them, present them with an opposing view but to just outright silence them?

Just proves to me that the left are increasingly alarmed that their grasp on the media & their ability to force the conversation in a certain direction are under threat. They are clearly scared to death of free speech.

Why is it the partisans cannot grasp that free speech is a function of the Govt, not of private companies.

If that is true then so is freedom of religion. So why did the bridal shop owners in Pennsylvania not get the same consideration from people on the left?

Because the people on the left are no better than the people on the right. The zealots from both sides are just mirror images of themselves

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
Hmm, yea, let's examine that.

The radicals on the left say leave the gays alone. They are human beings and deserve what the constitution guarantees.

The radicals on the right say kill the gays for no other reason than they are gay.

No, I don't think radicals on both sides are the same.
You're confusing conservatives with muslims. There isn't anyone in the political conservative world calling for the murder of queers.

That kind of hysteria is why no one takes them seriously.

The problem is places like facebook and youtube and twitter, aren't the media in the traditional sense, they are more of a form of an electronic commons that takes the place of the old village square.

I know it goes against my libertarian leanings, but I almost think it's time to treat these places AS public commons, and thus obligated to protect the Rights of people using them, just as government would protect the village square.

This is always the excuse for government encroachment on free speech. Liberals are quite familiar with it as a tactic. Conservatives are learning. Libertarians have no excuse.
They're familiar with it as they seek to oppose government encroachment.

Liberals are the most stalwart champions of free speech.

Making Facebook and other large social media platforms a part of a new digital commons would be a step before we have to start thinking of open violent resistance.

If anything, you'll be forced to subsidize Facebook and other liberal outlets......like UNIONS

You MAY instead, want to focus on the fact that the US and Russia are escalating tensions and we're dangerously close to a conflict with Russia......

In Spite of the imbeciles on this forum who keep saying Trump and Putin are lovers
Facebook likely invites government regulation. It would ensure their monopoly is not sunk by competitors

Regulation wouldn't equal monopoly.

The problem is places like facebook and youtube and twitter, aren't the media in the traditional sense, they are more of a form of an electronic commons that takes the place of the old village square.

I know it goes against my libertarian leanings, but I almost think it's time to treat these places AS public commons, and thus obligated to protect the Rights of people using them, just as government would protect the village square.

This is always the excuse for government encroachment on free speech. Liberals are quite familiar with it as a tactic. Conservatives are learning. Libertarians have no excuse.
They're familiar with it as they seek to oppose government encroachment.

Liberals are the most stalwart champions of free speech.

The problem is you idiots aren't liberals anymore.

Seriously? Gtfo with this stupidity. They only thing they are a danger to is your oppression of conservative voices.

This shit has to be put to bed. Further segmenting our society & suppressing their voice is not the way you win a political debate.
Challenge them, argue with them, present them with an opposing view but to just outright silence them?

Just proves to me that the left are increasingly alarmed that their grasp on the media & their ability to force the conversation in a certain direction are under threat. They are clearly scared to death of free speech.

Why is it the partisans cannot grasp that free speech is a function of the Govt, not of private companies.

Why can't you grasp that the OP is talking about the general inability of progressives to even tolerate opposing viewpoints?

It's an inability that most of our population suffers from.

I'm fine with calling them out for being closed-minded, and quite illiberal. But I think it's dangerous to conflate PC censorship, done by private citizens and business, as a violation of free speech. And not just as a technical legal matter. A media outlet making decisions about what it will, and won't, publish IS free speech. It's just free speech you disagree with.

That said, the anger of the culture wars is fueling fascist yearnings on both sides. It's a real danger.

Nonsense.

Just as government has no role to regulate the public square, so too does it have no role to regulate social media.

Whether online or on the streets, private sector venues are the sole purview of the people.

Uh...no...his premise is not ridiculous. If the tables were turned you'd be just as or more upset.

Actually, his sentiments are well founded. The Left controls most of this nations media across the board.
In much of that arena, schools, universities, Facebook, Google etc.....the Left does IN FACT suppress the Right's voice.

However, instead of blaming the Left, I blame those on the Right for continuing to feed the Left's cash cow in spite of the abuse.
I do not use any social media apps.
I do not support Hollywood despite watching every movie I choose to without payment.
I do not buy anything online. I support local businesses.
I do use Google but that is a product of necessity because of my business and it is built into my phone. I do not use them in PC. There are practical restrictions i can place on myself and i do where possible.

Why can't you grasp that the OP is talking about the general inability of progressives to even tolerate opposing viewpoints?

It's an inability that most of our population suffers from.

I'm fine with calling them out for being closed-minded, and quite illiberal. But I think it's dangerous to conflate PC censorship, done by private citizens and business, as a violation of free speech. And not just as a technical legal matter. A media outlet making decisions about what it will, and won't, publish IS free speech. It's just free speech you disagree with.

That said, the anger of the culture wars is fueling fascist yearnings on both sides. It's a real danger.

Nonsense.

Just as government has no role to regulate the public square, so too does it have no role to regulate social media.

Whether online or on the streets, private sector venues are the sole purview of the people.

The government's WHOLE role is to regulate the commons, did you fail civics or something?

Facebook is too big to be considered a private sector venue.

Regulation wouldn't equal monopoly.
Regulation would free them to avoid public backlash for decisions made and make it harder for upstart companies.

There is a (L)iberal war on conservative free speech? Wow. good to know. How many KIA or wounded for speaking concerva-speak?

Now let's discuss stupid trolls, and ask a question: Is it legitimate to point out and mock the stupid, ignorant and usually absurd threads they start?

Example: This one.

The exculpatory evidence that there is no war on conservatives speaking / posting can be seen every day on the new post page, where conservatives - self defined conservatives, mainly anarchists and iconoclasts - post stupid threads and posts, such as one can read on this thread.

The problem is they don't say that out front, they claim to be an open public space, AND they give some lip service to free speech.

The problem is only one side is gunning for that ass, and you stick to your "principles" as they measure out the rope for your hanging party.

Sorry, you aren't on their side, you are worse. You are an ignorant idiot.

I am on the side of liberty, first and foremost. I will always take the side of liberty over the side of more Govt control.

If that means I am hanging myself, then at least I die with my boots on.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
"Freedom of speech is a principal pillar of a free government; when this support is taken away, the constitution of a free society is dissolved, and tyranny is erected on its ruins."
And no one seeks to take away anyone's free speech.

IF you have lived for many years in both very conservative states & towns & very liberal states & towns you would understand that media, education, entertainment reflect the views of that population much more closely than opposite views. labels like all education is run by libs or most media is liberal. is Fake fake fake. don't agree? give me examples please.

There is a (L)iberal war on conservative free speech? Wow. good to know. How many KIA or wounded for speaking concerva-speak?

Now let's discuss stupid trolls, and ask a question: Is it legitimate to point out and mock the stupid, ignorant and usually absurd threads they start?

Example: This one.

The exculpatory evidence that there is no war on conservatives speaking / posting can be seen every day on the new post page, where conservatives - self defined conservatives, mainly anarchists and iconoclasts - post stupid threads and posts, such as one can read on this thread.
Wow, where to start....

You want to see the casualty list?
Look no further than the current YouTube demonitizing practices or Facebook & Twitter just flat out blocking people. Then check out the college campuses. Just last night I saw a conservative professor who was fired for expressing his free speech in a blog. He has a date before the state supreme court pending.

And lol at the names you lamely attempted to classify me as.

This issue was a "serious problem" for many of you on the left when you were pushing the fairness doctrine for equal time. You failed in that attempt so your next recourse was to just do everything possible to shut down speech from the right. From actual violence to prevent speech to bans on Facebook and Twitter.

Your post is foolish at best

Forum List

Back