How Did the Ancients Know About Dinosaurs?

Humans have been finding fossils for as long as they've been looking at rocks..

AskUs: Did any ancient cultures find dinosaur fossils? What was their reaction? | KickassFacts.com
Ever see a fossil unearthed for the first time?

I doubt it with that kind of comment.

What is this creature?

View attachment 265672
Your pointless reply, is... Well... Pointless...
Yes, the Left do hate science.

A few years ago I went into a 13th century Church in Estonia. Inside were mid 17th century paintings of various Bible scenes. I stopped in my tracks when I saw this painting from the Book of Job. It wasn't the Renaissance clothing everyone was wearing but what was behind them. The painting was hanging there a century before the first dinosaur fossils were even discovered yet they showed Job 40 perfectly with Brontosaurus’s.

How did they know?

View attachment 265658 View attachment 265659

“Look at Behemoth,which I made along with you and which feeds on grass like an ox.
What strength it has in its loins, what power in the muscles of its belly!
Its tail sways like a cedar; the sinews of its thighs are close-knit.
Its bones are tubes of bronze, its limbs like rods of iron.
It ranks first among the works of God, yet its Maker can approach it with his sword.
The hills bring it their produce, and all the wild animals play nearby.
Under the lotus plants it lies, hidden among the reeds in the marsh.
The lotuses conceal it in their shadow; the poplars by the stream surround it.
A raging river does not alarm it; it is secure, though the Jordan should surge against its mouth.
Can anyone capture it by the eyes, or trap it and pierce its nose?
Job 40:15-24

View attachment 265660

While in Cambodia I made sure to visit a temple that was built around 1100 AD. How’d they know what a Stegosaurus looked like?
I tried Googling that picture and can’t find any reference to it

Where is it from?

AskUs: Did any ancient cultures find dinosaur fossils? What was their reaction? | KickassFacts.com

What is this creature?

View attachment 265672
You're on a roll...

A few years ago I went into a 13th century Church in Estonia. Inside were mid 17th century paintings of various Bible scenes. I stopped in my tracks when I saw this painting from the Book of Job. It wasn't the Renaissance clothing everyone was wearing but what was behind them. The painting was hanging there a century before the first dinosaur fossils were even discovered yet they showed Job 40 perfectly with Brontosaurus’s.

How did they know?

“Look at Behemoth,which I made along with you and which feeds on grass like an ox.
It ranks first among the works of God, yet its Maker can approach it with his sword.
A raging river does not alarm it; it is secure, though the Jordan should surge against its mouth.

View attachment 265660

While in Cambodia I made sure to visit a temple that was built around 1100 AD. How’d they know what a Stegosaurus looked like?
I tried Googling that picture and can’t find any reference to it

Where is it from?
Yeahh...I think we been had....extensive search turned up nothing....would like info on painter....name of painting and exact location...I have been assured that it is a fake by several..but..who knows..after all..would a poster of the OP's reputation perpetrate a fraud....just to pump the idea that Behemoth was a dino?

I did look at the 2nd photo..of the church where the painting is supposed to reside..noted that the style of the frames appear to be different...and the painting is not photographed in situ.

BTW..I learned that Job is the oldest Book in the Bible--figures...the first story...is not Genesis...but the tale of how God and Satan played with a man's life..for a wager!

Shades of Trading Places!

How did they know?

View attachment 265660

there can only be one answer!

aliens!

How did they know?

View attachment 265660

there can only be one answer!

aliens!
From Honduras..or Mexico?

How did they know?

View attachment 265660

They most likely found fossils. It doesn’t take to much to do that. Between Jacksonville and Tyler Texas you can fill a dozen 1 qt mason jars with fossilized sharks teeth in about three hours of looking and zero digging. At lake Opossum Kingdom you need only walk the shore line to find fossilized Nautilus shells, barnicles and so on. And up around Blanco Texas it’s the same. Fossils are all over the place.

How did they know?

View attachment 265660

They most likely found fossils. It doesn’t take to much to do that. Between Jacksonville and Tyler Texas you can fill a dozen 1 qt mason jars with fossilized sharks teeth in about three hours of looking and zero digging. At lake Opossum Kingdom you need only walk the shore line to find fossilized Nautilus shells, barnicles and so on. And up around Blanco Texas it’s the same. Fossils are all over the place.
A fossil of a Dino is typically scattered pieces over a large area buried in the ground.

What is this creature?

View attachment 265672
You're on a roll...
Obviously science terrifies you.

What is this creature?

View attachment 265672
You're on a roll...
Uh huh...

What is this creature?

View attachment 265672
You're on a roll...
Uh huh...
Says the one who thinks Dino fossils lay on the surface of the ground all assembled and looking like they just died.

How did they know?

View attachment 265660

A fossil of a Dino is typically scattered pieces over a large area buried in the ground.

To be sure, but they still had to excavate for construction just like we do. And they weren’t morons, they had the same brains that we do. I see where you are coming from though. Even if they found intact fossils, how would they know those old bones made a brontosaurus shaped critter?

You're on a roll...
Uh huh...
Says the one who thinks Dino fossils lay on the surface of the ground all assembled and looking like they just died.
Do provide a quote that supports your assertion. Don't worry. I'll wait...

How did they know?

View attachment 265660

To be sure, but they still had to excavate for construction just like we do. And they weren’t morons, they had the same brains that we do. I see where you are coming from though. Even if they found intact fossils, how would they know those old bones made a brontosaurus shaped critter?
Yep. Even if you had all the pieces they wouldn’t know.

How did they know?

View attachment 265660

They had certainly seen enough skeletons to literally know heads from tails. And can easily figure out what goes in between. There isn't a whole lot of variation in that regard.

How did they know?

View attachment 265660

Yep. Even if you had all the pieces they wouldn’t know.
Kind of like that painting in you OP, eh?

Still waiting for some usable information to demonstrate provenance--but not holding breath...LOL!

How did they know?

View attachment 265660

They had certainly seen enough skeletons to literally know heads from tails. And can easily figure out what goes in between. There isn't a whole lot of variation in that regard.

But don’t you think that if they managed to put a dinosaur back together that they would have noted it, or put it up in a church somewhere?

How did they know?

View attachment 265660

But don’t you think that if they managed to put a dinosaur back together that they would have noted it, or put it up in a church somewhere?
I don't know that they went so far as to do a whole lot of complete excavation, and reassembly. But they certainly took notice of what they saw. Probably the source for many a dragon legend.

I don't know that they went so far as to do a whole lot of complete excavation, and reassembly. But they certainly took notice of what they saw. Probably the source for many a dragon legend.

That was my thought to, about the dragons.

Forum List

Back