How many democrats own guns?

You can't ban all guns because you can't repeal the 2nd Amendment.

Gun ban propaganda is thus paranoid proaganda with no basis in reality.
Any amendment can be repealed. Just as anything can be made in an amendment. The Constitution provides for it.

You should have learned that in 8th Grade US History, and again in 12th Grade Civics, and if you went to college then your history/humanities requirement should have taught you a 3rd time about the US Constitution.

That's precisely the main draw back of Hillary as POTUS. She will attempt to replace Scalia and aging Ginsberg with 2 more Ginsbergs. Then the SCOTUS can become activist and quasi legislative.

I was referring to the fact that you will never get the votes to repeal the 2nd Amendment. And you won't.

The only votes that matter are the 9 on the Supreme Court. When it comes to an amendment or anything in the Constitution, what the document says doesn't come close to being as important as what as few as FIVE of that nine BELIEVES it says.

There are lots of things not specifically in the Constitution that the SCOTUS has said are there through their interpretations. Not one word in the 2nd Amendment would have to change even a letter for the MEANING to change based on what FIVE say.

I don't believe you'd ever get the votes to repeal the 2nd amendment according to the procedure outline in Article V of the Constitution. However, you don't have to as long as FIVE people on the Court choose to interpret the same way as an Article V generated amendment would do it. As long as the Court is willing practice judicial activism, you may never see another amendment. All FIVE of them have to do is think it says something different than what's actually written.
With 33% of households being gun owning and 66% being non gun owning, you cannot be sure that a repeal of the 2nd Amendment is impossible.

If the gun ownership increased then maybe you could feel more safe.

But right now a repeal of the 2nd Amendment would be very close.

Needing 2/3rds of the Senate to even get the Amendment process out of Congress and you think that's close?

Are you insane?

See once again you said you can't repeal the second but if the conditions are met you absolutely can

They haven't

I cannot buy or legally own some guns in my state. I cannot legally own a magazine of more than a 10 round capacity.

things I could do just a few years ago

Any amendment can be repealed. Just as anything can be made in an amendment. The Constitution provides for it.

You should have learned that in 8th Grade US History, and again in 12th Grade Civics, and if you went to college then your history/humanities requirement should have taught you a 3rd time about the US Constitution.

That's precisely the main draw back of Hillary as POTUS. She will attempt to replace Scalia and aging Ginsberg with 2 more Ginsbergs. Then the SCOTUS can become activist and quasi legislative.

I was referring to the fact that you will never get the votes to repeal the 2nd Amendment. And you won't.

The only votes that matter are the 9 on the Supreme Court. When it comes to an amendment or anything in the Constitution, what the document says doesn't come close to being as important as what as few as FIVE of that nine BELIEVES it says.

There are lots of things not specifically in the Constitution that the SCOTUS has said are there through their interpretations. Not one word in the 2nd Amendment would have to change even a letter for the MEANING to change based on what FIVE say.

I don't believe you'd ever get the votes to repeal the 2nd amendment according to the procedure outline in Article V of the Constitution. However, you don't have to as long as FIVE people on the Court choose to interpret the same way as an Article V generated amendment would do it. As long as the Court is willing practice judicial activism, you may never see another amendment. All FIVE of them have to do is think it says something different than what's actually written.
With 33% of households being gun owning and 66% being non gun owning, you cannot be sure that a repeal of the 2nd Amendment is impossible.

The 2nd Amendment doesn't have to be repealed in order for guns to be outright banned, or effectively banned.

That's why it's important to keep anti-abortion and anti-gay marriage judges off the court, right?

If those on there would actually READ what the Constitution SAYS, they'd see that neither one of those is written in it yet they continue to find it there.

We need 5 that will read it instead of read into it. I'll take whatever number it takes to read it and see that abortion nor faggot marriage is in it and do the right thing.
Ginsberg, Breyer, Sotomayor, and Kagan do not give a flying fokk what the US Constitution says. They rule anyway they want to.

Needing 2/3rds of the Senate to even get the Amendment process out of Congress and you think that's close?

Are you insane?

I've explained how the amendment process isn't needed. If you're too stupid to understand that, let me know and I'll get a kid to explain it on your 1st grade comprehension level.
My my you are a rude fokk.

Not my problem NYCarbineer is too stupid to understand a simple explanation.

That's why it's important to keep anti-abortion and anti-gay marriage judges off the court, right?
Roe v. Wade has already settled abortion, and the 14th Amendment has already settled same-sex marriage.

The SCOTUS does not normally reverse themselves.

Tell that to Trump. He's vowing to put 'pro-life' judges on the court. Pence is promising that Roe will be overturned if Trump is elected. Are they lying to the voters, or just stupid?

Since there is nothing in the Constitution related to abortion, at best, it's a state matter according to what is actually WRITTEN in the Constitution.

The extreme right fringe does not ever listen either. Both extremes are as useless as teats on a boar.

It is a good thing to be a little on the extreme side in the defense of Liberty instead of being extreme in the zeal to remove liberty, don't you agree?

Are you insane?

See once again you said you can't repeal the second but if the conditions are met you absolutely can

Yeah, you could bring back slavery if the conditions were met. What is your point? Are you that hostile to keeping the conversation within the realm of the real world?

You're actually making my point. You're fearmongering by suggesting the 2nd Amendment is about to be repealed.

The 2nd Amendment doesn't have to be repealed in order for guns to be outright banned, or effectively banned.
Correct. If you can get 5 Ginsburg's onto the SCOTUS then you can simply prevent the court from enforcing the 2nd Amendment. In that case the Congress and the State legislatures can pass anything they want, and as long as the Federal district and circuit courts uphold it then it will fly.

Exactly. Why don't we try instead, to find out why we have become so violent?

I didn't mention the word "violent". I did mention that everyone that wants a gun, gets a gun.

The reason guns are everywhere is because of the COTUS. That second amendment and all. You don't have to be violent or non violent to have a gun. You just have to want one and if there is a will, there is a way to get a gun.

If you have any ideas how to change that (if you want that gun access changed) then do share those ideas.

Are you saying that violence is irrelevant? Violence is the reason they are able to get gun control laws passed.

Roe v. Wade has already settled abortion, and the 14th Amendment has already settled same-sex marriage.

The SCOTUS does not normally reverse themselves.

Tell that to Trump. He's vowing to put 'pro-life' judges on the court. Pence is promising that Roe will be overturned if Trump is elected. Are they lying to the voters, or just stupid?

Since there is nothing in the Constitution related to abortion, at best, it's a state matter according to what is actually WRITTEN in the Constitution.

No, the right of privacy is in the Constitution but there are no protections whatsoever for fetuses.

That's what I tried to explain to NYCarbineer. He keeps talking about how an amendment to repeal the 2nd wouldn't happen. I agree. However, nothing has to change in the wording of ANY portion of the Constitution. As few as FIVE Justices have to say it means something else. He can't grasp how that works.

Are you insane?

Yeah, you could bring back slavery if the conditions were met. What is your point? Are you that hostile to keeping the conversation within the realm of the real world?

You're actually making my point. You're fearmongering by suggesting the 2nd Amendment is about to be repealed.
Personally I do not believe the 2nd Amendment is safe. Most people (a majority) view it as outdated.

That is the point conveniently being ignored

All that has to be done is to get the Supreme Court to reverse the decision that upheld the second as an individual right.

If that can't be done the movement to ban particular guns will be expanded to encompass more and more weapons

That's what I tried to explain to NYCarbineer. He keeps talking about how an amendment to repeal the 2nd wouldn't happen. I agree. However, nothing has to change in the wording of ANY portion of the Constitution. As few as FIVE Justices have to say it means something else. He can't grasp how that works.

That's why I said we can't let Trump put anti-abortion and anti-gay rights judges on the court.

Are you insane?

You keep proving my claim that you're an idiot. The 2nd Amendment doesn't have to be repealed in wording for the same result to occur by FIVE Justices doing the same thing in action.

The extreme right fringe does not ever listen either. Both extremes are as useless as teats on a boar.

It is a good thing to be a little on the extreme side in the defense of Liberty instead of being extreme in the zeal to remove liberty, don't you agree?
The ancient Greek Hesiod said there should be moderation in all things, and Aristotle agreed.

I agree with Aristotle.

Extremists are a plague -- extremists from both extremes.

I hate the far right as well as the far left.

Are you saying that violence is irrelevant? Violence is the reason they are able to get gun control laws passed.

If anyone and everyone can get a gun, where is this hated gun control?

And yea, violence plays a part. Guns are inherently violent. That's the fucking purpose. To initiate a violent act or discourage or stop a violent act.

What fucking purpose do you think guns have? A paperweight?

There is no way that the only gun owners in this country are republicans. There is just to many guns being sold right now for that to be true so I wonder how many democrats feel comfortable with strict gun laws? Some of these laws are so tough that it makes it impossible to even buy one in some states (California). Do you feel comfortable with that and/or do you feel comfortable with a complete gun ban that many other 'liberals' want. I myself own a lot of guns and was able to get them with little ease (background check). I really didn't like the background check but it appears that most polls seem to think this is OK. I'm wondering how many of you secretly wish you didn't have to go through the hassle of a background check?
I can tell you as many democrats that want to now a gun ... myself I don't need false courage

That is the point conveniently being ignored

All that has to be done is to get the Supreme Court to reverse the decision that upheld the second as an individual right.

If that can't be done the movement to ban particular guns will be expanded to encompass more and more weapons

I don't think the gun control nuts ignore it. I think they either don't understand how as few as FIVE Justices can do the very same thing as repealing it by interpreting it differently and/or they don't care if it happens that way.

Are you insane?

I also said it doesn't have to be repealed to effectively ban the individual ownership of guns.

All that needs to be done is to reverse the Heller decision and have the second reinterpreted that gun ownership is not an individual right

Forum List

Back