how much warming from adding carbon dioxide to the atmosphere is what we

The bolded part above...

under FCC guidelines, a company can "self certify" their product.

Not entirely accurate.. Anything operating at frequencies higher than 9khz requires FCC verification testing. Meaning you test it if you want but they have to confirm it somehow and you get a certificate of compliance which you must keep on file. And the product must have the phrase "“This product complies with FCC requirements for a Class B device.”.

Yeah, but that is really self-certification in the sense that the FCC doesn't review the results or issue the certificates. You probably know that many big companies do the measuring in house.. Same with RoHS lead - free certification. Even if you don't have a clue what you're doing -- you can self-certify..

ItFitzme:

My sentence;;

Why couldnt Underwriter's Laboratory (UL) do the certification?

Is not an observation that UL doesn't do Energy Efficiency certs. Never indicated that UL doesn't. I design electronic products for people.. I take their designs to UL for them..*

My phrase is literally a question.. As in why do we NEED Energy Star at DOE when this could be done in the marketplace. The answer is --- because there's a huge flow of tax benefits attached to the Energy Star cert..*

How it all came began with what I THOUGHT was you making those links to SUPPORT Govt programs that you loved and needed. Calm down.. Let's try something else..

Then you know what "self certification" is and that under FCC guidelines, a company can "self certify" their product. So when you say

as a question, my answer is

is literally an answer. *In fact, I put a question mark after it because I really was a bit confounded as to why you even asked.

So I apologize if I didn't catch your meaning. *But, I can only go on what you specifically write.

Perhaps you should calm down a bit and present your points more clearly as you do with;

Calming down also helps in being clear on the context of someone's presentation of just specific facts, details, like

because you take the time to read the previous posts that give it context. That way you don't go using the second person pronoun as in;

based on;

I would think, as an engineer, you would recognize the importance of being specific about the details.

I do understand, as an enginner, you have spent alot of time focused on things. So let me give you a hint.*

When you say things like;

Calm down..

it actually just pisses people off. Not me... but it's pretty common knowledge that it's a common reaction. It's so common that a comedian had her audience in stitches over it. (It especially pisses off women. Never say it to a women.)

And when you move the focus to the person, away from the object, by using the second person pronoun "you", followed by a statement that describes them, what you will get back is a defensive response. *The cause isn't that they were not calm. The cause is what preceeded, YOU using the word "YOU".

But, back to your point that

The answer is --- because there's a huge flow of tax benefits attached to the Energy Star cert..

You don't suppose that the idea is that the gov't discovered they were burning a s$&t load of energy with all these electrical and electronic devices that are always powered up, do you? I know some folks, quite conservative, that started unplugging all their appliances when not in use.*

They buy energy efficient appliances. Do you suppose, lacking some sort of certification, a sanctioned sticker like "Intel Inside", or "Energy Star" that some companies would cheat like they have with "Organic" and "Lite"?

Surely, as a designer, you understand that power is expensive and it adds up. *All those idle computers sitting on gov't workers desks must have been costing the tax payer a lot of money.

Surely cheeting isn't exclusive to just govt legislators. *Businesses cheat, private individuals cheat. *Why have safety regs? *Why have FCC regs? FDA regs? *Why not just let the market work all those out?

Or do you think the process was;

1) GE wanted tax benifits.
2) GE said, "we have a plan".
3) GE went to Fed regulators and said, *"If you give us a tax break, we'll design energy efficient devices."
4) Legislators thought, "Yeah, if we do this, it'll fool the public into thinking were working on their behalf and we will also get awesome contributioms from GE."
?

I'm just askin'. *I'm not implying I think it's one or the other. *

Problem is, the economy runs on money. *It's correlated with everything. *It buys political advertisements. *It funds campaigns. *Companies use it to buy supplies, labor, and equipment. *Everyone uses it to buy food. *It functions as an incentive. *It functions as a disincentive. *It is in all aspects of public, private and commercial life so it doesn't work as an indicator of any specific motivation.

For every change in $, there are costs and benefits. *For every alternative program, there are multiple costs qnd benefits. *It is foolish to look at just the benefit of one alternetive and then reach a conclusion. *It is all about the details and it is about all the details.

I was asking the previous poster to be specific. *S/he seemed to known what s/he was talking about. *Lacking that, I had to make my best guess as to what the exact details were, so I posted them.*

Is it a requirement? Or is it an incentive? *Is the government forcing the manufacturers to only manufacture CFLs? *Is it even really for the private market or is it actually motivated by the govt wanting its facilities to have and use them? *Is there a large public benefit to the gov saving energy dollars? *Is it motivated by the concept of the tragedy of the commons?

After all, if in the market place, selfish interests and pursuits benefit the many, why should it be any different in the competition betwee government, commercial, and consumer interests? *Just a thought.

I think that it's important to keep in mind that there is no such organization as "business". Business is a very large number of independent organizations all operating under the same principle of, make more money regardless of the cost to others.

However, there is only one federal government that exists in our democracy at the pleasure of a majority of us. When businesses, operating to maximize their individual profit, do something that is contrary to the interests of we, the people, we impose our wishes on them through our government.

It's a useful, but oversimplification, that, in a democracy, each of us is happy slightly over half of the time. On the average.

But, under tyranny, the only alternative to democracy, the minority ruling class, is happy all of the time, the ruled never get their way.

ItFitzme:

My sentence;;

Why couldnt Underwriter's Laboratory (UL) do the certification?

Is not an observation that UL doesn't do Energy Efficiency certs. Never indicated that UL doesn't. I design electronic products for people.. I take their designs to UL for them..*

My phrase is literally a question.. As in why do we NEED Energy Star at DOE when this could be done in the marketplace. The answer is --- because there's a huge flow of tax benefits attached to the Energy Star cert..*

How it all came began with what I THOUGHT was you making those links to SUPPORT Govt programs that you loved and needed. Calm down.. Let's try something else..

Then you know what "self certification" is and that under FCC guidelines, a company can "self certify" their product. So when you say

is literally an answer. *In fact, I put a question mark after it because I really was a bit confounded as to why you even asked.

So I apologize if I didn't catch your meaning. *But, I can only go on what you specifically write.

Perhaps you should calm down a bit and present your points more clearly as you do with;

Calming down also helps in being clear on the context of someone's presentation of just specific facts, details, like

because you take the time to read the previous posts that give it context. That way you don't go using the second person pronoun as in;

based on;

I would think, as an engineer, you would recognize the importance of being specific about the details.

I do understand, as an enginner, you have spent alot of time focused on things. So let me give you a hint.*

Calm down..

it actually just pisses people off. Not me... but it's pretty common knowledge that it's a common reaction. It's so common that a comedian had her audience in stitches over it. (It especially pisses off women. Never say it to a women.)

And when you move the focus to the person, away from the object, by using the second person pronoun "you", followed by a statement that describes them, what you will get back is a defensive response. *The cause isn't that they were not calm. The cause is what preceeded, YOU using the word "YOU".

The answer is --- because there's a huge flow of tax benefits attached to the Energy Star cert..

You don't suppose that the idea is that the gov't discovered they were burning a s$&t load of energy with all these electrical and electronic devices that are always powered up, do you? I know some folks, quite conservative, that started unplugging all their appliances when not in use.*

They buy energy efficient appliances. Do you suppose, lacking some sort of certification, a sanctioned sticker like "Intel Inside", or "Energy Star" that some companies would cheat like they have with "Organic" and "Lite"?

Surely, as a designer, you understand that power is expensive and it adds up. *All those idle computers sitting on gov't workers desks must have been costing the tax payer a lot of money.

Surely cheeting isn't exclusive to just govt legislators. *Businesses cheat, private individuals cheat. *Why have safety regs? *Why have FCC regs? FDA regs? *Why not just let the market work all those out?

3) GE went to Fed regulators and said, *"If you give us a tax break, we'll design energy efficient devices."
4) Legislators thought, "Yeah, if we do this, it'll fool the public into thinking were working on their behalf and we will also get awesome contributioms from GE."
?

Problem is, the economy runs on money. *It's correlated with everything. *It buys political advertisements. *It funds campaigns. *Companies use it to buy supplies, labor, and equipment. *Everyone uses it to buy food. *It functions as an incentive. *It functions as a disincentive. *It is in all aspects of public, private and commercial life so it doesn't work as an indicator of any specific motivation.

For every change in $, there are costs and benefits. *For every alternative program, there are multiple costs qnd benefits. *It is foolish to look at just the benefit of one alternetive and then reach a conclusion. *It is all about the details and it is about all the details.

I was asking the previous poster to be specific. *S/he seemed to known what s/he was talking about. *Lacking that, I had to make my best guess as to what the exact details were, so I posted them.*

Is it a requirement? Or is it an incentive? *Is the government forcing the manufacturers to only manufacture CFLs? *Is it even really for the private market or is it actually motivated by the govt wanting its facilities to have and use them? *Is there a large public benefit to the gov saving energy dollars? *Is it motivated by the concept of the tragedy of the commons?

After all, if in the market place, selfish interests and pursuits benefit the many, why should it be any different in the competition betwee government, commercial, and consumer interests? *Just a thought.

As to the misunderstanding. It's a very weird practice to toss random links on the table to support the OTHER SIDE of the argument. I went with the odds..

And to be brief (for once)..

1) Yes I doubt the Govt ability and motives to move energy policy with silly programs like Energy Star. As witnessed by the $Mill ad campaigns to get people to pull 1W chargers out of the wall when in another room, they are spending $BILLs on Electric vehicles which could EASILY add 50% or more to grid demand. Or in the complete lack of science in persecuting incandescent bulbs which are 100% energy efficient whenever the HVAC system is heating a room. That's 4 to 7 months a year, that doesn't EVER show up their calculations..

2) No company should EVER recieve tax breaks for crap which is an EXISTING commodity item on the market.. My heart aches at allowing the Feds to blow money on even TRUE R&D, but I'd rather see it go there.

3) I DO believe in that GE scenario and you should too given that Obama's "hi-tech jobs liason is currently their CEO.. Or did you forget that? Not to mention the mileage they get from happy baby elephant commercials dancing in the forest. Green as a tree frog they WERE. THEY know that gig is up..

4) Yu seem to be a huge cheerleader for NEGAWATT generation.. That's the "Let's make energy RARE and EXPENSIVE" crowd by conserving ourselves into the dark. Rather than my buds in the market who want energy to be PLENTIFUL and CHEAP.. Do I suspect some dark baggage motivates that? You bet I do.. ((After sitting in SFO airport frantically waving my hands to keep the lights on while I read, I hate you guys))\
:cool:

Last edited:
The bolded part above...

under FCC guidelines, a company can "self certify" their product.

Not entirely accurate.. Anything operating at frequencies higher than 9khz requires FCC verification testing. Meaning you test it if you want but they have to confirm it somehow and you get a certificate of compliance which you must keep on file. And the product must have the phrase "“This product complies with FCC requirements for a Class B device.”.
Okay, your the expert.

*"self test/cert" v "UL test/cert*" v what? *EPA test/cert? *FCC test/cert? *"Tested by", "certified by", "carries the Certificate of"....

I get it, energy certification could be part of UL,CE whatever specs.

UL, FCC, EnergyStar, Intel Inside, they are signals to the consumed is as much as a message from the manufacturer, and other things. *

Wouldn't it be more fun to talk about the marketing guy that wanted to change "this device may not cause harmful interference ..." because the way he read it, it meant "it may not, it may, it probably will... "... *It took me a while to wrap my head around it.

My original point was, toilets, lightbulbs...

The real questions for meare; is EnergyStar is required... *Will it be? Does the economic benefit outweigh the economic cost?

I'm still waiting for someone to produce this toilet law.

Someone has to act responsibly towards our limited resources. Conservatives believe that it should be others. Responsible people believe that it should be everyone.

ItFitzme:

My sentence;;

based on;

?

As to the misunderstanding. It's a very weird practice to toss random links on the table to support the OTHER SIDE of the argument. I went with the odds..

And to be brief (for once)..

1) Yes I doubt the Govt ability and motives to move energy policy with silly programs like Energy Star. As witnessed by the $Mill ad campaigns to get people to pull 1W chargers out of the wall when in another room, they are spending $BILLs on Electric vehicles which could EASILY add 50% or more to grid demand. Or in the complete lack of science in persecuting incandescent bulbs which are 100% energy efficient whenever the HVAC system is heating a room. That's 4 to 7 months a year, that doesn't EVER show up their calculations..

2) No company should EVER recieve tax breaks for crap which is an EXISTING commodity item on the market.. My heart aches at allowing the Feds to blow money on even TRUE R&D, but I'd rather see it go there.

3) I DO believe in that GE scenario and you should too given that Obama's "hi-tech jobs liason is currently their CEO.. Or did you forget that? Not to mention the mileage they get from happy baby elephant commercials dancing in the forest. Green as a tree frog they WERE. THEY know that gig is up..

4) Yu seem to be a huge cheerleader for NEGAWATT generation.. That's the "Let's make energy RARE and EXPENSIVE" crowd by conserving ourselves into the dark. Rather than my buds in the market who want energy to be PLENTIFUL and CHEAP.. Do I suspect some dark baggage motivates that? You bet I do.. ((After sitting in SFO airport frantically waving my hands to keep the lights on while I read, I hate you guys))\
:cool:

"Yes I doubt the Govt ability and motives to move energy policy with silly programs like Energy Star"

You would think that when making a comment like this that's completely contrary to common sense, you'd offer some evidence. Maybe you could offer the most compelling of the evidence that the media gave you when they told you to think this way.

Low flush toilets

Low-flush toilet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-109hr6enr/pdf/BILLS-109hr6enr.pdf

http://www.ferc.gov/legal/maj-ord-reg/epa.pdf

Wiki has pros and cons. In this case, it appears to be required. I'm not surprised as we do experience droughts, often severe. Water is a precious resource.

It is a tragedy of the commons problem.

Glad you're so diligient. That's admirable. But it's not a tragedy of the commons. It's a Travesty of reason. Its a suspendtion of common sense and analysis.. When people have to have plungers sitting in their bathroom and have to flush 2 or 5 times instead of once --- it's an overreach of Biblical proportions for the sake of religious fervor from the eco-left..

Low flush toilets

Wiki has pros and cons. In this case, it appears to be required. I'm not surprised as we do experience droughts, often severe. Water is a precious resource.

What would motivate a toilet manufacturer to figure out how to flush better with 1.28 gal than 3.5 gallons? The answer is, nothing. Yet they did. What would motivate car manufacturers to reduce the complete wasting of half of the fuel cars consume? Yet they did.

Was it the marketplace? Or was it government responsible to all of the people, now and future, or was it conservatives?

Why would anyone not want a low-flush toilet? Just got mine. Flushes just as well, clogs less often, refills faster, and saves water and money. Early versions may have been troublesome, but the latest versions are great.

Put another way, why do the denialists doubt the ability of the free market to come up with solutions? With every gas mileage increase mandate, the same crowd says it's impossible to increase mileage like that. And yet every time, those increased mileage standards are met.

Low Flush Toilets

Glad you're so diligient. That's admirable. But it's not a tragedy of the commons. It's a Travesty of reason. *Its a suspendtion of common sense and analysis.. When people have to have plungers sitting in their bathroom and have to flush 2 or 5 times instead of once --- it's an overreach of Biblical proportions for the sake of religious fervor from the eco-left..

Well, actually it is a "tragedy of the commons" problem.

But then, we've already established that you go "with the odds" just to start an argument.

The forum suffers from a tragedy of the commons as well.

As for me, nothing admirable about it. It's fact checking cuz I don't talk s$&t like some folk.

Why would anyone not want a low-flush toilet? Just got mine. Flushes just as well, clogs less often, refills faster, and saves water and money. Early versions may have been troublesome, but the latest versions are great.

Put another way, why do the denialists doubt the ability of the free market to come up with solutions? With every gas mileage increase mandate, the same crowd says it's impossible to increase mileage like that. And yet every time, those increased mileage standards are met.

Drunk drivers.

Drunk drivers.
An intrusive, militarized police state, and massive amounts of propaganda and brainwashing can easily solve the problem of drunk drivers.

Low flush toilets

What would motivate a toilet manufacturer to figure out how to flush better with 1.28 gal than 3.5 gallons? The answer is, nothing. Yet they did. What would motivate car manufacturers to reduce the complete wasting of half of the fuel cars consume? Yet they did.

Was it the marketplace? Or was it government responsible to all of the people, now and future, or was it conservatives?

Seat belts, airbags.

The mfgs of vans use to spray asfault inside the van walls, floor, ceiling. The desgner, telling the story, laughed at how they just didn't care about the weight and fuel milage.

I recently had someone warn me about local street that is a "speed trap", as they said. When I drove down the street, I realized that to them, getting a speeding ticket while going by an elementary school above the clearly posted speed limit made it a "speed trap".

Funny how people that don't speed, don't complain or even notice.

I don't know anybody who doubts that engineers are able to come up with solutions. Before they do though there has to be a reason for them to. That doesn't come from the marketplace. Only features that advantage one competitor over the others come from market forces. Advantages for everyone have to be demanded by government.

That's how capitalism works.

Low flush toilets

Seat belts, airbags.

The mfgs of vans use to spray asfault inside the van walls, floor, ceiling. The desgner, telling the story, laughed at how they just didn't care about the weight and fuel milage.

I recently had someone warn me about local street that is a "speed trap", as they said. When I drove down the street, I realized that to them, getting a speeding ticket while going by an elementary school above the clearly posted speed limit made it a "speed trap".

Funny how people that don't speed, don't complain or even notice.

Laws only impact those irresponsible enough to break them.

G
Drunk drivers.
An intrusive, militarized police state, and massive amounts of propaganda and brainwashing can easily solve the problem of drunk drivers.

Huge progress has been made on the problem of drunk drivers. You'll never know if among the lives that have been saved are you and yours.

Forum List

Back