I Don't Think Many Of You Know What "Confronted" Means

The way people are politicizing this tragedy that never shouldve happened is sickening. With the evidence we as those on the outside looking in should, to any reasonable person, show you Zimmerman should at the very least be charged and put on trial. You've got Al Sharptongue out there leeching off the situation and a bunch of assholes trying to link this to the Stand Your Ground law in FL and bringing up the banning of guns. The guy obviously went after the kid and started the whole thing. I don't have any respect for these people trying to promote their pet causes piggy backing off the unnecessary death of a young man.

I feel for the family and believe that they are right in demanding he be charged and tried, I wouldn't blame them for wanting Zimmerman put to death. But these marching idiots making it a racial issue are nothing more than agitators. I can understand Trayvon's family, friends, neighbors protesting. But alot these people making speeches and marching and commenting on the news who don't know him are just out to promote their causes, they didn't know this young man, nor do they genuinely care about his death in general, and it shows when they turn it into a race issue.

I don't believe in hate crime legislation. Murder is murder, the reasoning for the murder should only count if it proves intent. As far as sentencing it should have no bearing. No life is worth more than another. So let's knock off the bullshit and just let what happens happen. If Zimmerman faces trial, as I believe he should, it shouldnt be because of marches, tv comments, and peoples feelings.

It should be because of the evidence.

Alright.... Done ranting. I had to get that off my chest. Spent a good hour arguing with my father over this this morning.

I agree with pretty much everything you say. I think, if I were a local resident, I would want an investigation into the actions of the local police. Most certainly, an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of Martin is warranted. If there is evidence of wrong doing, Zimmerman should face the consequences of those actions.

Like you, I think that the likes of Sharpton are - yet again - using this tragedy for political mileage and deliberately causing unrest and tensions between racial groups. That is truly disgusting.

It's an easily sensationalized story for the 24-hour news networks to pull in the usual crowd of people that can't get enough of other people's misery and get ratings. In short, it sells.

To politicize it is just par for the course in today's political discourse, but as you say, it's sickening.

This happened over three weeks ago. If not for the family "politicizing" it, the case would have been swept under the rug

Absolutely, but once it stuck to the wall it gathered national attention which brought on the unneeded external inputs as noted in the op.

It's an easily sensationalized story for the 24-hour news networks to pull in the usual crowd of people that can't get enough of other people's misery and get ratings. In short, it sells.

To politicize it is just par for the course in today's political discourse, but as you say, it's sickening.

This happened over three weeks ago. If not for the family "politicizing" it, the case would have been swept under the rug

For the family to fight to raise awareness and put pressure on the local LEOs is one thing. To have Sharpton and his gang of race baiters jumping on this kid's death for political mileage is something else altogether.

The way people are politicizing this tragedy that never shouldve happened is sickening. With the evidence we as those on the outside looking in should, to any reasonable person, show you Zimmerman should at the very least be charged and put on trial. You've got Al Sharptongue out there leeching off the situation and a bunch of assholes trying to link this to the Stand Your Ground law in FL and bringing up the banning of guns. The guy obviously went after the kid and started the whole thing. I don't have any respect for these people trying to promote their pet causes piggy backing off the unnecessary death of a young man.

I feel for the family and believe that they are right in demanding he be charged and tried, I wouldn't blame them for wanting Zimmerman put to death. But these marching idiots making it a racial issue are nothing more than agitators. I can understand Trayvon's family, friends, neighbors protesting. But alot these people making speeches and marching and commenting on the news who don't know him are just out to promote their causes, they didn't know this young man, nor do they genuinely care about his death in general, and it shows when they turn it into a race issue.

I don't believe in hate crime legislation. Murder is murder, the reasoning for the murder should only count if it proves intent. As far as sentencing it should have no bearing. No life is worth more than another. So let's knock off the bullshit and just let what happens happen. If Zimmerman faces trial, as I believe he should, it shouldnt be because of marches, tv comments, and peoples feelings.

Alright.... Done ranting. I had to get that off my chest. Spent a good hour arguing with my father over this this morning.

I agree with pretty much everything you say. I think, if I were a local resident, I would want an investigation into the actions of the local police. Most certainly, an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of Martin is warranted. If there is evidence of wrong doing, Zimmerman should face the consequences of those actions.

Like you, I think that the likes of Sharpton are - yet again - using this tragedy for political mileage and deliberately causing unrest and tensions between racial groups. That is truly disgusting.

I AGREE with Cali Girl on BOTH points. Though I see unrest because of an incomplete investigation, why FAN THE FLAMES of hate?

I'm telling you, stuff like this makes me want to pack up the family and just live in solitude. This world gets more and more rotten by the day and it doesn't look like its going to change, maybe it can't.

I saw the Republican that wrote the law on TV last night.
He says the law does not and was not intended to protect anyone that PURSUES someone unless that someone is law enforcement.
May or may not but I guarantee you the prosecution will CHALLENGE the law if the facts warrant it.
Just another example of the hysteria nonsense "they are not doing anything" mob mentality of a circus these preachers and out of town shake down artists do not want their followers to know about.

Liberals are the ones playing politics and race baiting, with Obama now the official ring leader. And Al Sharpton is a disgrace. MSNBC must be proud.
Both sides have people using this incident as a soapbox for something.

Politically this was a non story prior to sharpton and the usual cast of characters injected politics into it. And now Obama has stirred up a political firestorm with his comments. Naturally the right isn't going to sit by while their integrity is being besmerched on national tv hourly.

This is 100% instigated by the left.

The way people are politicizing this tragedy that never shouldve happened is sickening. With the evidence we as those on the outside looking in should, to any reasonable person, show you Zimmerman should at the very least be charged and put on trial.

I'm a reasonable person, as opposed to those who are reacting out of emotion only. What evidence do you see out there that contradicts his story that it was self-defense?

You've got Al Sharptongue out there leeching off the situation and a bunch of assholes trying to link this to the Stand Your Ground law in FL and bringing up the banning of guns.

You mean Al "Race Pimp and Media Whore" Sharpton? I agree.

The guy obviously went after the kid and started the whole thing. I don't have any respect for these people trying to promote their pet causes piggy backing off the unnecessary death of a young man.

Yes he did go after the guy, but that isn't a crime.

I feel for the family and believe that they are right in demanding he be charged and tried, I wouldn't blame them for wanting Zimmerman put to death.

I don't know about you butI don't live in a country where one can be put in jail before and until the authorities can determine if a crime has been committed.

But these marching idiots making it a racial issue are nothing more than agitators. I can understand Trayvon's family, friends, neighbors protesting. But alot these people making speeches and marching and commenting on the news who don't know him are just out to promote their causes, they didn't know this young man, nor do they genuinely care about his death in general, and it shows when they turn it into a race issue.

Agreed.

Agreed, and he should not ecven be arrested until there is evidence.

i dont understand why this "story" is so goddamn important. people die all the time...shit happens. this is not special.

Shit happens? A kid is dead and it appears - certainly on the face of it - that little, if any, investigation took place as to why he is dead... you don't have to be a parent to understand why this is not 'shit happens'. Your comment was pathetic.

And you know this HOW?? You know whether the investigators are sweeping it under the rug or doing their due diligence to make sure that if charges are brought against anyone, that they stick because there are not holes in the case because they rushed things??

And it is not the family politicizing and using this as a stage... it is everyone from politicians, extremist groups, vigilante groups, talk show hosts, media networks, etc that are politicizing this....

It is a shame that this grandstanding is taking away from a tragic death of someone young.... condolences should be going to the family so that they can get beyond this and heal in whatever way they can.... and that will not happen when you have grandstanding by talking heads and agenda driven assholes

i dont understand why this "story" is so goddamn important. people die all the time...shit happens. this is not special.

Yes, unarmed teenagers are gunned down all the time with the police looking the other way.

Happens all the time.

The police are not looking the other way dumbass, they already looked into it and determined that there was no evidence to discount the shooter's story. It is only being re-looked at because of the outcry.

I'm telling you, stuff like this makes me want to pack up the family and just live in solitude. This world gets more and more rotten by the day and it doesn't look like its going to change, maybe it can't.

Don't give up on it, Locke. There will come a day when Americans see the content of one's character instead of the color of one's skin. We're close - we just ain't there yet. So we can't cut and run from the fight.... we just have to fight harder.

I am a local resident. I live 5 miles from Sanford. I have been hearing about this story for almost all of the time since it happened. We do not know the whole story, we do not know what happened. The way the law works is that the shooter has claimed that it was self-defense and gave his story to prove it. It doesn't matter if the police believe his story or not, if they have no proof that it happened any other way than the way he said it did, then they cannot arrest him. It shouldn't matter if Al Sharpton comes down here and rants his racist rhetoric all day long. The law is the law, due process is due process, and this is still America and we still have a 5th Amendment.

It may be far removed from your pathetic little life, but many in florida would like the ability to walk around with out being followed and killed with impunity because of a bad law.

Ravi the law does not protect what this zimmerman guy did, how is it a bad law?

People claiming the law protects this do not understand the law itself. Or they are intentionally misrepresenting it to use this tragedy as a vehicle to attack the law, which had nothing to do with zimmerman murdering the kid and doesn't protect zimmerman.

In fact there is language in this law that specifically says what zimmerman did isn't protected.
Could you quote the part of the statute that you believe specifically says what Zimmerman did is not protected, please?

I've looked at the statute many times looking for something, and I don't find it.

Thanks.

First I'll quote the authors of the law itself Stand Your Ground authors: Trayvon Martin’s shooter should likely be charged, avoid immunity - Trayvon Martin - MiamiHerald.com

“They got the goods on him. They need to prosecute whoever shot the kid,” said Peaden, a Crestview Republican who sponsored the deadly force law in 2005. “He has no protection under my law.”

Peaden and Baxley, R-Ocala, say their law is a self-defense act. It says law-abiding people have no duty to retreat from an attacker and can meet “force with force.” Nowhere does it say that a person has a right to confront another.

The 911 tapes strongly suggest Zimmerman overstepped his bounds, they say, when the Sanford neighborhood crime-watch captain said he was following Trayvon and appeared to ignore a police request to stay away.

“The guy lost his defense right then,” said Peaden. “When he said ‘I’m following him,’ he lost his defense.”

Peaden and Baxley said they didn’t know all the facts of the case, so their interpretations of what happened could change if new information arises during the investigation.

The place I read the statute two days ago is now no longer online http://election.dos.state.fl.us/laws/05laws/ch_2005-027.pdf i will find it elsewhere for you asap

Yes, unarmed teenagers are gunned down all the time with the police looking the other way.

Happens all the time.

The police are not looking the other way dumbass, they already looked into it and determined that there was no evidence to discount the shooter's story. It is only being re-looked at because of the outcry.

It deserves to be re-looked, this is NOT an open and shut case.

And you know this HOW?? You know whether the investigators are sweeping it under the rug or doing their due diligence to make sure that if charges are brought against anyone, that they stick because there are not holes in the case because they rushed things??

And it is not the family politicizing and using this as a stage... it is everyone from politicians, extremist groups, vigilante groups, talk show hosts, media networks, etc that are politicizing this....

It is a shame that this grandstanding is taking away from a tragic death of someone young.... condolences should be going to the family so that they can get beyond this and heal in whatever way they can.... and that will not happen when you have grandstanding by talking heads and agenda driven assholes

From my perspective, if the family need a re-investigation in order to assure them that no one murdered their son, fine... re-investigate it. If the police investigated properly, then they have nothing to fear. If Zimmerman did nothing wrong, he shouldn't have anything to fear either.... what concerns me are:

1. No one should get away with killing someone without justification.

2. No one should be railroaded into prosecuting an innocent man by the media, or race baiting bastards like Sharpton et al.

I saw the Republican that wrote the law on TV last night.
He says the law does not and was not intended to protect anyone that PURSUES someone unless that someone is law enforcement.
May or may not but I guarantee you the prosecution will CHALLENGE the law if the facts warrant it.
Just another example of the hysteria nonsense "they are not doing anything" mob mentality of a circus these preachers and out of town shake down artists do not want their followers to know about.
The politician who championed this bill - the one who said that - is simply trying to cover his ass for WRITING a bad law. If that was the intent of the law, then dammit, he had the responsibility to make sure that was what the law said!

Florida needs to send him packing.

Liberals are the ones playing politics and race baiting, with Obama now the official ring leader. And Al Sharpton is a disgrace. MSNBC must be proud.
Both sides have people using this incident as a soapbox for something.

Politically this was a non story prior to sharpton and the usual cast of characters injected politics into it. And now Obama has stirred up a political firestorm with his comments. Naturally the right isn't going to sit by while their integrity is being besmerched on national tv hourly.

This is 100% instigated by the left.

What did Obama say?

Isn't it funny to note who's ALWAYS screaming and going on about "the new lynch mobs" or just "lynch mobs" nowadays? Hint: It ain't black folks.

That's because it ain't them being lynched.

We also note that you have no problem with lynching, as long as the victim is white.

Yeah, that does make you a racist.

Lawrence and two of his friends offered James a ride while he was walking down a deserted country road. James was not only beaten unconscious, but was urinated upon and then tied to their car by his ankles. The men drove three miles with him chained to the vehicle, and it’s speculated that James was alive for most of the ordeal. It wasn’t until his arm and head were ripped from his body that forensic evidence shows he died. The three killers then dumped James’ remains in a cemetery and went to a barbeque.

Never Forget James Byrd Jr.: White Supremacist Executed Last Night for 1998 Murder | Necole Bitchie.com

Forum List

Back