🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

I find it very disturbing

Well then, you can certainly try. Good luck in your endeavor.
However, I will add this. Is you are as good in your legal arguments for Polygamy as you are in your legal arguments against gay marriage.....I won't be holding my breath for Polygamy anytime soon.

I think the legal case has already been made and we are awaiting the final decision on that. Once that comes in, I expect the first polygamy cases will start shortly - but that is just a guess on my part. However, if saying a marriage can only be between a man and a woman is a violation of the 14th amendment, then saying it can only be between two people is as well.

true, and the next question is: is that where we want our society to go?

That depends upon who "we" are. I doubt you are going to find any kind of consensus. For my part, where I would like the country to go is one in which the government does not make these kinds of personal decisions for us.

so you would be OK with a society that allowed multiple people to enter into a "marriage" , allowed siblings to marry, allowed parents and children to marry?

The people decide what society considers to be right and moral, and the govenment exists to enforce those beliefs.

We are at a turning point, either we have standards of right and wrong or we have an anyhing-goes society. Personally I want our society to have standards, how about you?

Yes. I would be ok with that. So long as the people are competent adults, it is none of my business who they want to marry.

The problem with this whole standards thing is that invariably the person who wants the standards want their standards, not - for example - my standards. It's always the other guy that needs the government to tell them how to live, never the person who wants the government to do it. So you'll have to excuse me if I don't trust your standards.

OK, so here is what you are saying is Ok.

Tom, Jack, Joe and Abe marry Mary, Elaine, Cindy, Joan, and Diane. Together they have 12 kids, 8 cars, 2 boats, a large house, and 9 401K accounts. Cindy and Tom decide to divorce the rest of them. How many lawyers does it take to divide that kids and assets? how much court cost is expended? what are the tax implications?

You have no idea what you are saying is OK.

I think the legal case has already been made and we are awaiting the final decision on that. Once that comes in, I expect the first polygamy cases will start shortly - but that is just a guess on my part. However, if saying a marriage can only be between a man and a woman is a violation of the 14th amendment, then saying it can only be between two people is as well.

That depends upon who "we" are. I doubt you are going to find any kind of consensus. For my part, where I would like the country to go is one in which the government does not make these kinds of personal decisions for us.

so you would be OK with a society that allowed multiple people to enter into a "marriage" , allowed siblings to marry, allowed parents and children to marry?

The people decide what society considers to be right and moral, and the govenment exists to enforce those beliefs.

We are at a turning point, either we have standards of right and wrong or we have an anyhing-goes society. Personally I want our society to have standards, how about you?

Yes. I would be ok with that. So long as the people are competent adults, it is none of my business who they want to marry.

The problem with this whole standards thing is that invariably the person who wants the standards want their standards, not - for example - my standards. It's always the other guy that needs the government to tell them how to live, never the person who wants the government to do it. So you'll have to excuse me if I don't trust your standards.

Tom, Jack, Joe and Abe marry Mary, Elaine, Cindy, Joan, and Diane. Together they have 12 kids, 8 cars, 2 boats, a large house, and 9 401K accounts. Cindy and Tom decide to divorce the rest of them. How many lawyers does it take to divide that kids and assets? how much court cost is expended? what are the tax implications?

That's their problem. Why is it any of your business?

Let's put what you just said another way... Tom, Jack, Joe and Abe form a business Mary, Elaine, Cindy, Joan, and Diane. Together they have 12 patents, 8 cars, 2 boats, a large house, and 9 retirement accounts. Cindy and Tom decide to leave the business. How many lawyers does it take to divide the assets and future patent earnings? how much court cost is expended? what are the tax implications? Should your standards prevent them from forming the business in the first place?

Let's put what you just said another way... Tom, Jack, Joe and Abe form a business Mary, Elaine, Cindy, Joan, and Diane. Together they have 12 patents, 8 cars, 2 boats, a large house, and 9 retirement accounts. Cindy and Tom decide to leave the business. How many lawyers does it take to divide the assets and future patent earnings? how much court cost is expended? what are the tax implications? Should your standards prevent them from forming the business in the first place?

so a marriage and a business are the same thing? What makes them different is that there are young children involved in a marriage, but not in a business.

it becomes our problem because society as a whole will have to bear some of the costs related to such "marriages". Can you imagine the confusion of a child involved in such a marriage? 5 fathers, 6 mothers. how does the biological parent enter into the mix, do the biological parents have some kind of priority? Would you be happy with such a family as your next door neighbors?

so a marriage and a business are the same thing? What makes them different is that there are young children involved in a marriage, but not in a business.

it becomes our problem because society as a whole will have to bear some of the costs related to such "marriages". Can you imagine the confusion of a child involved in such a marriage? 5 fathers, 6 mothers. how does the biological parent enter into the mix, do the biological parents have some kind of priority? Would you be happy with such a family as your next door neighbors?

Pretty much the same thing, yes. The children do not make it different. And even if it does, it falls firmly into the category of none of your business. If people want to engage in a complicated marital arrangement, they had best have a contract to resolve those issue before they enter into it. Frankly, I doubt there will be many of these kinds of marriages but it is their business, not mine and not yours.

If I am not happy with the way you live your life and you are my neighbor, would you care? Would you think it proper for me to get the government to force you to change the way you live your life so it was more to my liking? Or would you just tell me to stick my liking where the sun does not shine?

Pretty much the same thing, yes. The children do not make it different. And even if it does, it falls firmly into the category of none of your business. If people want to engage in a complicated marital arrangement, they had best have a contract to resolve those issue before they enter into it. Frankly, I doubt there will be many of these kinds of marriages but it is their business, not mine and not yours.

If I am not happy with the way you live your life and you are my neighbor, would you care? Would you think it proper for me to get the government to force you to change the way you live your life so it was more to my liking? Or would you just tell me to stick my liking where the sun does not shine?

Uhh, yeah. If you were running a crack house I would expect the govt to put you out of business.

do you also approve of fathers marrying sons to avoid inheritence taxes?

Uhh, yeah. If you were running a crack house I would expect the govt to put you out of business.

I can't seem to get this across to you, though I keep saying it. It is none of my business. My approval is irrelevant. Do you need my approval to live as you deem right?

That kind of tax can-of-worms is probably something you will have to address when making your polygamy case to SCOTUS....but it sure looks more and more like it is quite a bit different than the legal argument for gay marriage, doesn't it?

I can't seem to get this across to you, though I keep saying it. It is none of my business. My approval is irrelevant. Do you need my approval to live as you deem right?

I get it, you don't give a shit what society considers normal and acceptable. you are an anything-goes kind of guy. Ok, great. We just disagree. Lets move on.

What's disturbing is the unwarranted fear and hatred of gays. If you and others on the right would simply stop trying to deny gay Americans their civil rights, you'd not have to hear about it any more.

Strange how arguing against gay marriage is translated into fear and hatred of gays.
How would you interpret it if we went on and on against marriage of....let's say....Jews? That's not anti-semitism, right?

I would not interpret it as anything....except that you were against the marriage of Jews.

If I wanted to know why....I'd ask.

Not put words in people's mouths or ascribe feelings of hatred that might not exist.

We prevent fathers from marrying their daughters. Does that mean we hate fathers and daughters ?

If you really wanted to know, you'd ask.

Otherwise, you and CCJTM are just attempting to practice intimidation.
Actually, that was a little experiment to see if someone who says they are against the marriage of Jews would be called an anti-semite. I have no problems whatsoever with Jews or any other religious group marrying. :D

I doubt there is such an experiment.

But then...this is some kind of weak attempt to defent CCJTM's translation of anti-gay marriage to up front hate and fear of gays.
Well, you can doubt all you want....I was testing to see how quickly I would be called an anti-semite by the same people who constantly insist that being against gay marriage does not make one a homophobe. :D

That kind of tax can-of-worms is probably something you will have to address when making your polygamy case to SCOTUS....but it sure looks more and more like it is quite a bit different than the legal argument for gay marriage, doesn't it?

its not my case, you are already making the case for them. and, its exactly the same argument you are making for two women to call their hook up a marriage.

all I am saying is that society as a whole should decide, not 9 old unelected farts in black robes.

I get it, you don't give a shit what society considers normal and acceptable. you are an anything-goes kind of guy. Ok, great. We just disagree. Lets move on.
If you consider yourself a "small government" kind of guy, you just sold yourself down the river. Unless it harms others, it is NOT the business of the government to dictate what is normal and acceptable. Get it yet?

its not my case, you are already making the case for them. and, its exactly the same argument you are making for two women to call their hook up a marriage.

all I am saying is that society as a whole should decide, not 9 old unelected farts in black robes.
I find it hard to believe that it is not your case....because you are the only one here I see trying to make a case for polygamy. I'll say it again, make your legal case to the courts.....just like gays have been working hard to make our case to the courts. Do your own arguing. Good luck.

You seem to have trouble distinguishing actions and contracts that harm no one, and illegal drug sales that harm quite a few people.

Strange how arguing against gay marriage is translated into fear and hatred of gays.
How would you interpret it if we went on and on against marriage of....let's say....Jews? That's not anti-semitism, right?

I would not interpret it as anything....except that you were against the marriage of Jews.

If I wanted to know why....I'd ask.

Not put words in people's mouths or ascribe feelings of hatred that might not exist.

We prevent fathers from marrying their daughters. Does that mean we hate fathers and daughters ?

If you really wanted to know, you'd ask.

Otherwise, you and CCJTM are just attempting to practice intimidation.
Actually, that was a little experiment to see if someone who says they are against the marriage of Jews would be called an anti-semite. I have no problems whatsoever with Jews or any other religious group marrying. :D

I doubt there is such an experiment.

But then...this is some kind of weak attempt to defent CCJTM's translation of anti-gay marriage to up front hate and fear of gays.
Well, you can doubt all you want....I was testing to see how quickly I would be called an anti-semite by the same people who constantly insist that being against gay marriage does not make one a homophobe. :D

O.K. I don't admit to being the brightest bulb......

I understand now.

If you consider yourself a "small government" kind of guy, you just sold yourself down the river. Unless it harms others, it is NOT the business of the government to dictate what is normal and acceptable. Get it yet?

many believe that gay marriage, polygamy, and other forms of marriage would harm society as a whole. All I want is for society as a whole to make that decision.'

why do you fear the will of the people?

You seem to have trouble distinguishing actions and contracts that harm no one, and illegal drug sales that harm quite a few people.

It is your OPINION that gay marriage harms no one. Not everyone shares that OPINION.

Your OPINION is in the minority of human OPINION on this topic.

A minority OPINION should not be forced on the majority by a dictatorial government.

That is the issue here.

many believe that gay marriage, polygamy, and other forms of marriage would harm society as a whole. All I want is for society as a whole to make that decision.'

Because in this nation we have something called the Constitution. We don't toss it out a window when we find it inconvenient.

Seriously?

I get you consider freedom your right to do as you please and my right to do as you please. So we certainly will disagree and I am fine with moving on.

It is your OPINION that gay marriage harms no one. Not everyone shares that OPINION.

Your OPINION is in the minority of human OPINION on this topic.

A minority OPINION should not be forced on the majority by a dictatorial government.

That is the issue here.

Actually it's more than opinion. See, in order to deny a fundamental right like civil marriage, you have to demonstrate a societal harm.

You've lost because you can't.

Forum List

Back