I wouldn't vote to convict the cop who shot Rayshard Brooks of murder

There are differences between the George Floyd case and the Brooks case.
The latter grabbed the cop's taser and punched the cop in the face.
Did anyone here ever think that punching a cop in the face works result in a low chance of being killed by that cop?
People are not supposed to attack cops.
If I'm a cop and a man is trying to arrest takes my taser and punches me, it's on.
And I'm a Democrat.
I am anti guns, anti cons and and anti trump....you break the law, punch a cop and threaten their life, you deserve everything that happens to you.
What if the cop threatens your life or family but claims you attacked him for no reason?
Different story.
All I saw is a violent person trying to harm 2 police officers and if he reached their guns he was gonna use it...I'm sorry but I cant support that kind of behavior and I'm super anti gun and pro banning guns altogether and join the civilised world.

Did you see the video about how it all started? One cop wanted to deescalate - but the other one didn't. Rayshard Brooks was very respectful in the beginning. After what recently happened with George Floyd - no wonder he became excited and scared.
Once he resisted arrest...the police were correct to retaliate to subdue the suspect. Once he took their weapon...he earned his shooting. You don't get to do that.

We strongly disagree on that. He didn't deserve to die.
He could've killed both of them. He tried to get the guns but luckily he got the taser. Besides he was behind the wheels and he couldve killed innocent people while driving. I just can't find excuses for his behavior, he put many lives in danger including his.
Cops are not allowed to kill someone because they could've done something. If that was the case they could just pull you over and shoot you in the face because you couldve had a gun and was going to kill them.
You are right...but the guy showed disregard to human life by putting everyone's life in danger including himself. All he had to do is cooperate.
That may be true but he also could have been fighting for his own life. We dont know what made him go from being compliant to trying to get away. Cops could have said something or looked at him a certain way that made him fear for his life even after he had cooperated. I dont think some of you guys really understand the shit cops do to Black people when there are no cameras to catch them.
I have a hard time beleiving that theory, given what's going on the cops would be foolish to wanting to take his life from just a DUI stop. Everything was evident from all angles, the guy made the wrong move. I hate to see people die, but he made the situation deadly not the cops. He punched a cop, reached for his gun/taser.

He took the taser out of the cop's hand. He never reached for a gun.
Probably and probably not. In all he was very hostile and he coul've killed the cops, punching them is an assault....many people die from a good knockout.
I agree with you 99% of the time, but this one I have a hard time with it.

Great. So a drunk person rolls up into a drive through and passes out. How many people can dui people kill? So along come the police wake him up, talk sweetly to him. Ask if he’s willing to take a field sobriety test, he says yes. He fails. Cops say you are to much under the influence to drive tonight, so they move to take him into custody, a battle ensues, he snatches a taser and hauls ass firing it at the police. How much abuse and lawbreaking are you people willing to take? Huh?
Zero. Cops shouldnt be breaking the law or abusing people at all.
Your feelings and opinions are not the law.
I know. However, he was fired and about to be charged so obviously my feelings and opinions are in line with the law.

no---your feelings and opinions are in line with the current wave of insanity and hysteria sweeping the
nation. You would have done well in WOODSTOCK
1969 too ----and for that matter at my alma mater
in Newark circa 1967 when race riots tore a lovely
city to pieces. You are nothing new and neither are the animals ripping monuments to pieces------you are like the REDUVID BUGS-------you HAPPEN periodically completely thoughtlessly
So your claim is that everyone else is insane? OK good luck with that.

Interesting insight. Just as "sane" as were the 1960s age of acid heads and endless riots. Give it time----
the push back is going to startle you
The push back to your push back is going to frighten you. This I can guarantee you. We are done fucking around.
So are we.

And we have better guns!!!

A taser doesn't have to be lethal because it is incapacitating. Firing an incapacitating weapon at a police officer is grounds enough to get shot. Add the fact that it was THE COPS TASER and he had already violently fought off this guy means it was a good shoot.

Great. So a drunk person rolls up into a drive through and passes out. How many people can dui people kill? So along come the police wake him up, talk sweetly to him. Ask if he’s willing to take a field sobriety test, he says yes. He fails. Cops say you are to much under the influence to drive tonight, so they move to take him into custody, a battle ensues, he snatches a taser and hauls ass firing it at the police. How much abuse and lawbreaking are you people willing to take? Huh?
Zero. Cops shouldnt be breaking the law or abusing people at all.
Your feelings and opinions are not the law.
I know. However, he was fired and about to be charged so obviously my feelings and opinions are in line with the law.

no---your feelings and opinions are in line with the current wave of insanity and hysteria sweeping the
nation. You would have done well in WOODSTOCK
1969 too ----and for that matter at my alma mater
in Newark circa 1967 when race riots tore a lovely
city to pieces. You are nothing new and neither are the animals ripping monuments to pieces------you are like the REDUVID BUGS-------you HAPPEN periodically completely thoughtlessly
So your claim is that everyone else is insane? OK good luck with that.

Interesting insight. Just as "sane" as were the 1960s age of acid heads and endless riots. Give it time----
the push back is going to startle you
The push back to your push back is going to frighten you. This I can guarantee you. We are done fucking around.
So are we.

And we have better guns!!!

begin your push back and lets see who is prepared to bleed the most.

I wouldn't vote to convict the cop who shot Rayshard Brooks of murder

After watching all the videos several times - I strongly disagree! There was no need to shoot him twice in the back as he ran away. The cops already had possession of his car, keys, and driver's license. The cops could have easily deescalated the situation and rounded him up later. The one cop seemed reasonable - but the killer cop was an asshole.
Yea just let the guy run in a parking list with a gun lol

What gun? He had already fired the taser over the cop's head. Don't they have to be reloaded?
is the cop a mind reader? How does he know that’s not a colt 45?
Because they previously frisked him and found no weapons and he acquired the taser by taking it from one of the officers.
Oh so you forgot the struggle where he could have grabbed his partners gun?
Oh is that the problem that bad cops have? They're so focused on what could happen that they're unable to process the actual reality as it unfolds before their eyes?

Did you see the video of Jerry York I posted. It apparently never crossed the cops's mind to draw their weapons or to shoot him even though he actually physically assault both of them with their batons and then took off in their police vehicle. This is how they respond to a white man assaulting them versus a black man running away from them.

Cops are not supposed to kill people by shooting them in the back while they're running away.
How about when the guy fleeing arrest turns and fires at the cop?
Brooks didn't have a deadly weapon and if he did and had fired on the officers they would have been perfectly within their rights to return fire, however that was not the case. Instead he had a taser which he fired at one of the officers and missed and was attempting either to increase the distance between himself and the officers or escape them entirely.

With very few exceptions it is not lawful to shoot someone in the back if they're attempted to get away from you because legally you're only allowed to use deadly force to STOP an imminent threat of grievious bodily harm or death. A person running away from you no longer poses an imminent threat and that's why you're not allowed to shoot them.

Cops are not supposed to kill people by shooting them in the back while they're running away.
How about when the guy fleeing arrest turns and fires at the cop?
Brooks didn't have a deadly weapon and if he did and had fired on the officers they would have been perfectly within their rights to return fire, however that was not the case. Instead he had a taser which he fired at one of the officers and missed and was attempting either to increase the distance between himself and the officers or escape them entirely.

With very few exceptions it is not lawful to shoot someone in the back if they're attempted to get away from you because legally you're only allowed to use deadly force to STOP an imminent threat of grievious bodily harm or death. A person running away from you no longer poses an imminent threat and that's why you're not allowed to shoot them.

you are a little confused. Brooks was under arrest and escaped. He was a fugitive from a lawful arrest. The issue of concern about bodily harm is not an issue.

The way this has been presented to me is it the guy was running off with a weapon. I've heard new facts that he already fired that weapon. If that's the case and the cops shot him anyway, you have a good point.

Cops cannot let people run off a deadly weapons when that person has done so while resisting arrest. Far too many other people get hurt when that happens.
The range on a taser is approximately 10 feet. Since he was running away from them and he had already fired the taser the weapon was effectively useless at that point. Unless he had a supply of cartridges on hand at home or where ever he was planning on running off to, the taser was no more useful than a paperweight to him.

Only if they resist to the point that its deadly like I pointed out earlier.
At what point does the cop have to decide that wrestling around with somebody who is resisting arrest presents a danger to the cops life with the cops gone being within arms reach?

Every citizen must understand, and it is a standard by which every citizen is obligated to behave, that resisting arrest is a deadly proposition.

What is the point of resisting arrest? Answer me that one.

Dont know what that has to do with what happened here. They guy was nowhere near the cops gun when he was shot.

If every citizen believed that then there would be no need for the cops. There would be no crime so please spare me the bullshit.

You tell me. Some cops say you are resisting just because youre protecting yourself from getting your ass beat.
As I said, the end result of this thing is questionable at the very least. It looks like there was no danger or threat to anyone but the cop shot anyway.

What I'm talking about, is when the police officer goes to put the restraints on a person and that person starts fighting and wrestling, do you not see the immediate, highly dangerous, deadly situation with the cops gun being within arms length?

What you were saying is that you want it both ways. You want citizens to be able to resist without risk. You want cops to bear 100% of the risk while citizens can act a fool and bear no risk.

That is bullshit.

Again I have no idea what youre talking about. They guy was running away. He was no where near the cops gun.

Nope. I am saying that as a cop you should expect people to resist. Thats why you are trained to handle those situations. As a cop youre the professional not the citizen.
I don't know where Pollyanna grew up and lives but down in Florida during Spring Break the police have to deal with drunk and belligerent teenagers and college kids, many of whom resist arrest yet somehow the police manage not to shoot and kill them.

That would be terrible for tourism.

What is noteworthy also in the video is a Black next in line in the drive through drove very aggressively and cut off the first officer as the officer was heading to his SUV after getting the intoxicated convict to move his rental car. And none of the "brave" Blacks (who were probably bravely looting a few nights earlier) stepped out to help subdue one of their own after the liar assaulted both officers.

The way this has been presented to me is it the guy was running off with a weapon. I've heard new facts that he already fired that weapon. If that's the case and the cops shot him anyway, you have a good point.

Cops cannot let people run off a deadly weapons when that person has done so while resisting arrest. Far too many other people get hurt when that happens.
The range on a taser is approximately 10 feet. Since he was running away from them and he had already fired the taser the weapon was effectively useless at that point. Unless he had a supply of cartridges on hand at home or where ever he was planning on running off to, the taser was no more useful than a paperweight to him.
The only other problem is the guy was a convicted violent felon facing a lot more time. Such a person is very dangerous to society because he has pretty much nothing to lose. They cannot just let such a person escape and hope he doesn't kill innocent people out of desperation before they can catch him again.

A single punch can kill a man.

Baby the criminal right PROGS, just like we babied children in our schools, how'd that work out?

You are a punk just like that cop.

I was taught at a young age that you don’t start a fight you can’t or aren’t willing to do whatever is necessary to win. No Marquee de Queensbury rules either.

Wait a second Grumpy, love the name.................Why would that rule apply to just starting fights, I'd think the opposite more.

I started a fight once, long time coming too. Doesn't mean I'd take a rock to his head, but he sure tried vise versa. Fucker was on top too, but not for long. Actually too long HA!, that fight lasted 10 minutes, I think I just wore the big fellow out :abgg2q.jpg:

Most tasers will still work at close range even after being fired and some tazers have multiple shots loaded in them without the need to reload. Does anyone actually know what piece of equipment was used?

From what I have seen (and we all have limited info here) I do not think I would be able to convict either. That does not bode well for a jury.

Rayshard-Brooks-Fugitive-Warrant-Ohio.jpg

As I pointed out the first time I saw the intoxicated liar and convict trying to fabricate a storyline, he was waiting from the very start to do whatever it takes to not get arrested and steal weapons, police car, run, or whatever it took.

Last edited:

Most tasers will still work at close range even after being fired and some tazers have multiple shots loaded in them without the need to reload. Does anyone actually know what piece of equipment was used?

From what I have seen (and we all have limited info here) I do not think I would be able to convict either. That does not bode well for a jury.
I tried to find out exactly which taser the Atlanta PD uses but was not able to find it easily enough.

Nonetheless, Brooks dropped the taser and was still running away from the officer when they shot him in the back so all of the people here talking about the myriad of "what if" scenarios of things Brooks "could have done" with a "dangerous weapon" is nothing more than an attempt to further justify the killing of unarmed black people who were not posing an imminent threat of death of grievous bodiy harm at the time they were killed by the police.

The only other problem is the guy was a convicted violent felon facing a lot more time. Such a person is very dangerous to society because he has pretty much nothing to lose. They cannot just let such a person escape and hope he doesn't kill innocent people out of desperation before they can catch him again.
You watch too much crime TV. And I noticed that ALL of you always throw in the adjective "violent" when discussing black people. I can't recall any of you ever using such descriptors when discussing the cases of white mass shooters, generally the killer is described as "mentally ill" as opposed to "violent".

I would ask why that is, except I know it's part of the white racist psyche propaganda to portray black people, particularly black men as inherently violent and criminally inclined.

Do you all ever look at any of your own people?

I would ask why that is, except I know it's part of the white racist psyche propaganda to portray black people, particularly black men as inherently violent and criminally inclined.

Do you all ever look at any of your own people?
It's not just white people DeShawn. People the world over know that those from sub-Saharan African origin are not only limited in intelligence, but the most violent in the world. It seems to go hand-in-hand.

The officer who neutralized the threat shot while a taser was pointed at the officer's face. The intoxicated convict with an outstanding warrant was running while pointing the taser kind of like a baton exchange in a relay race. It was excellent shooting by the officer.

Forum List

Back