If you're working for minimum wage your financial problems are yours alone

A combination of luck, circumstance and work.
It just devastates you lefties to give people credit for their own successes.
IE, you didn't build that. There just has to be luck in there somewhere that replaces something.

I have no problem crediting people with success. I DO have a problem when people like you assign moral/character failings to poverty or minimum wage work. Seems to me work should be valued and respected, regardless of wage. Guess you Righties don't feel that way.
Work is respected. Whining about you pay when you did nothing to earn more isn't. Get it? Get off your lazy ass and fix your problems if you have them.

So people don't have a right to demand better pay? Or is that right reserved only for people making more than a certain amount?

They may have a right to demand better pay, but not a right to receive it.

A working person is only worth as much as the next person willing to take that job and perform it the same way.

It works that way if you're a french fry maker and it works that way if you're a CEO.

Up to a point I agree. But before we had a minimum wage, there was a lot of abuse and a race downward to the lowest possible wage for people who couldn't fight back.

My opinion is, if you're an adult living in this country of opportunities, and you're only earning the minimum or an entry-level kind of wage after being in the work force for years, then I would suggest it is time for you to have a serious discussion with yourself and a lengthy and thorough re-assessment of your life and where you are heading, and why you are where you are.

IE, you didn't build that. There just has to be luck in there somewhere that replaces something.

I have no problem crediting people with success. I DO have a problem when people like you assign moral/character failings to poverty or minimum wage work. Seems to me work should be valued and respected, regardless of wage. Guess you Righties don't feel that way.
Work is respected. Whining about you pay when you did nothing to earn more isn't. Get it? Get off your lazy ass and fix your problems if you have them.

So people don't have a right to demand better pay? Or is that right reserved only for people making more than a certain amount?

A working person is only worth as much as the next person willing to take that job and perform it the same way.

It works that way if you're a french fry maker and it works that way if you're a CEO.

Up to a point I agree. But before we had a minimum wage, there was a lot of abuse and a race downward to the lowest possible wage for people who couldn't fight back.
Says who?

I would say a great deal more than that is in our control. Did you get to where you are because you were lucky or unlucky?

Skill determines pay. If you're sacking groceries you have no skills to barter with.

The drive to pay irresponsible adults 15.00 for minimum wage will destroy jobs for future teenagers via the implementation of more automation.

Illegal aliens & dumbass liberals are going to drive away all the jobs for our kids.
So if the $15 minimum wage doesn't happen there will be no more automation?

Your boss didn't kill your ambition.
Your boss didn't make you fail your education.
I didn't kill your ambition.
I didn't make you fail in school.

If you're an adult working for minimum wage it is YOUR irresponsible choices that led you there.
well, do you argue that their choices up to that point have something to do with where they are now?
For example, If instead of going into the navy and earning my degree when I was 18 I had decided to stay home and party like my friends did. Would I still have been retired from one good job right now, collecting a retirement that is honestly more than according to statistics the average person makes working, and working at a second career now that again pays about twice what the average national average is for yearly income. Or would I be like them and still working for the average yearly income with no expectation of retiring until social security comes along.
At the time I made that decision, any of my friends could have done the same, and ended up the same as me some 40 years later, but their decision 40 years ago is why they are not in the same position as I am.
Ive never worked harder than any of them, I dont think I have had as tough a job as some of them, but the degree and the initiative puts a lot of weight behind you during your working years.
Yes, for many their bad choices are why they are minimum wage workers today.
Just looking for bad choices a person has made as an explanation of why they are a failure is really not very helpful, to the person or to society. Only when we look for root causes of those bad decisions do learn what can be done to prevent them.

Except we do nothing to prevent them anyway.

In a way I consider myself fortunate due to my upbringing. I was raised in your typical two parent family household, went to church on Sunday, went to a Catholic school most of my life, had a stay at home mother in case I got into trouble, a situation many of us had years ago as children.

My father played the major role in teaching me how to work. He was a bricklayer and I started working with him at the age of 11 years old. During the summer evenings and all weekend, I would carry clamps of bricks to my father, mix cement, fetch necessary tools to keep the job going, and coming home a filthy mess from head to toe. He paid me one dollar per hour.

My father had a full time job as a bricklayer which is why I mostly worked with him in the evenings when he got home, had dinner, and we headed to a side job of his. As I got older, I was able to produce more work and got raises from my father, but very little raises at that. My parents seldom just handed over money. You had to do something for it in exchange.

Kids raised in single-parent households didn't have such upbringing. Yet who besides Republicans promote two parent families? In the black community, the out-of-wedlock birth rate is over 70%. Nobody seems to want to do anything about it. So of course those kids know nothing about working until they quit school or graduate and get their very first job.
If most of the failures we have been discussing had your family background, they would not be failures. Solving the problems of education, drugs, crime, mental health, unemployment, dependency, and economic growth all starts with the child and the family. Fix that and you fix it all. Unfortunately, solving social problems are the most difficult problems a nation faces. Our social welfare system is not geared to fix the problems, just maintain the status quo. The Left and Right are so far apart there really isn't much hope at the present time.

Work ethic is certainly within one's control, right?

It's the only thing that is. Many people have a great work ethic, work hard all their lives, but still die poor in financial terms.
I would say a great deal more than that is in our control. Did you get to where you are because you were lucky or unlucky?

We really don't just pointing out the flaws in liberal thinking.. Only like 2% make MW but liberals want to blur the lines like they always do (example climate change and pollution is the same, illegal and legals all equal immigrants etc.. Etc.. ) they want the same wages as a cop or fireman who makes around $15 or less an hour in most parts of the country for just flipping burgers ..

And again around 50% of working Americans make $15 or less an hour and that includes people going to college just to make that little... Liberal thinking is screwing aot of people if they ever get their way..

If you're an adult working for minimum wage it is YOUR irresponsible choices that led you there.
well, do you argue that their choices up to that point have something to do with where they are now?
For example, If instead of going into the navy and earning my degree when I was 18 I had decided to stay home and party like my friends did. Would I still have been retired from one good job right now, collecting a retirement that is honestly more than according to statistics the average person makes working, and working at a second career now that again pays about twice what the average national average is for yearly income. Or would I be like them and still working for the average yearly income with no expectation of retiring until social security comes along.
At the time I made that decision, any of my friends could have done the same, and ended up the same as me some 40 years later, but their decision 40 years ago is why they are not in the same position as I am.
Ive never worked harder than any of them, I dont think I have had as tough a job as some of them, but the degree and the initiative puts a lot of weight behind you during your working years.
And suddenly you get disabled, sick, have an accident, dupe.
the thread is about working for minimum wage. It is not about what happens when you cant work.
Please try harder to keep up, being a liberal we all understand how hard that can be for you, but if you ask nice, someone might take pity on you and try to explain things.
oh, and lose the Dupe with every response to every person, it really does make me picture you as someone in real life with the name of corky.
I admire your opinion, dupe. lol. You're an example of THE big story of the last 30 years- brainwashed loudmouth ignorant GOP dupes. Proud as hell of themseves while the New BS GOP wrecks the nonrich and the country.

After 30 years of Voodoo: worst min. wage, work conditions, illegal work safeguards, vacations, work week, college costs, rich/poor gap, upward social mobility, % homeless and in prison EVAH, and in the modern world!! And you complain about the victims? Are you an idiot or an A-hole? :cuckoo:

Last edited:
The drive to pay irresponsible adults 15.00 for minimum wage will destroy jobs for future teenagers via the implementation of more automation.

Illegal aliens & dumbass liberals are going to drive away all the jobs for our kids.

I don't know why you guys answer the same stupid question over and over again..

If you don't know take some business and economics courses..

Again we had the technology in the 1980s to automate most anything.. If money was no object (in high school I was on work release: 4 hours in high school, 4 hours working at my dads Automation company he worked for and at night's I would work a 2nd part time job at arbys )

It's all about what cost more: to automate or just pay for labor..

It's the only thing that is. Many people have a great work ethic, work hard all their lives, but still die poor in financial terms.

We really don't just pointing out the flaws in liberal thinking.. Only like 2% make MW but liberals want to blur the lines like they always do (example climate change and pollution is the same, illegal and legals all equal immigrants etc.. Etc.. ) they want the same wages as a cop or fireman who makes around $15 or less an hour in most parts of the country for just flipping burgers ..

And again around 50% of working Americans make $15 or less an hour and that includes people going to college just to make that little... Liberal thinking is screwing aot of people if they ever get their way..

We need to tax the rich their fair share and train the UE and others for the jobs of the future. 3-6 million techy jobs going begging NOW. You dupes just have to save the bloated rich and carp on the poor - amazing...

After 30 years of Voodoo: worst min. wage, work conditions, illegal work safeguards, vacations, work week, college costs, rich/poor gap, upward social mobility, % homeless and in prison EVAH, and in the modern world!! And you complain about the victims? Are you an idiot or an A-hole? :cuckoo:

We need to tax the rich their fair share and train the UE and others for the jobs of the future. 3-6 million techy jobs going begging NOW. You dupes just have to save the bloated rich and carp on the poor - amazing...

I'm pretty rich, would you like to take my wealth from me?

As Hillary said, only income over 250k/year.

Yeah but coyote the year is 2016 not 1910...way to many rules, entitlements, the world changed...

It would be no big deal to just get rid of the National MW...the states have theirs and in manufacturing almost no one even pays even close to MW ..heck even paying over double you should see all the idiots we still get stuck with hiring..

I am a firm believer in at least a two tier MW like they have in Canada, Australia.. (Aussie has many tiers, they micro manage wages)..

One MW for adults

One MW for teens..

But I always read the democrats oppose that fiercely for some reason I will never get because teen unemployment is way to high and I feel it is unacceptable..

Last edited:

275k a year is not alot of money..

Unless you want to live Lower middle class.

"Just how much is your FAIR SHARE of what somebody else worked for?"
Thomas Sowell

Ok, and? That's not a lot of money these days, but sure. Do you want to take my wealth away? How about my investments? Do you want to take that too?

Just looking for bad choices a person has made as an explanation of why they are a failure is really not very helpful, to the person or to society. Only when we look for root causes of those bad decisions do learn what can be done to prevent them.

In a way I consider myself fortunate due to my upbringing. I was raised in your typical two parent family household, went to church on Sunday, went to a Catholic school most of my life, had a stay at home mother in case I got into trouble, a situation many of us had years ago as children.

My father played the major role in teaching me how to work. He was a bricklayer and I started working with him at the age of 11 years old. During the summer evenings and all weekend, I would carry clamps of bricks to my father, mix cement, fetch necessary tools to keep the job going, and coming home a filthy mess from head to toe. He paid me one dollar per hour.

My father had a full time job as a bricklayer which is why I mostly worked with him in the evenings when he got home, had dinner, and we headed to a side job of his. As I got older, I was able to produce more work and got raises from my father, but very little raises at that. My parents seldom just handed over money. You had to do something for it in exchange.

Kids raised in single-parent households didn't have such upbringing. Yet who besides Republicans promote two parent families? In the black community, the out-of-wedlock birth rate is over 70%. Nobody seems to want to do anything about it. So of course those kids know nothing about working until they quit school or graduate and get their very first job.
If most of the failures we have been discussing had your family background, they would not be failures. Solving the problems of education, drugs, crime, mental health, unemployment, dependency, and economic growth all starts with the child and the family. Fix that and you fix it all. Unfortunately, solving social problems are the most difficult problems a nation faces. Our social welfare system is not geared to fix the problems, just maintain the status quo. The Left and Right are so far apart there really isn't much hope at the present time.

I disagree. I want to take you back to the Republican debates for the presidential nomination involving Newt Gingrich. Newt understood that not all people are college material. Our education system should teach children about manual labor--especially those who were brought up in families I just mentioned.

He was heavily criticized by the left for expressing the opinion that kids should work. They brought up slave labor, child labor, working for next to nothing, the whole ball of wax. I agreed with Newt because when I was a kid in school, we had such a program. Instead of sitting in useless study halls and gym, we were allowed to work at the various schools in the area and actually earn our first paycheck. I had to wake up extra early, go to a school, empty out trash cans, raise the US flag, burn the trash I collected, sweep the halls and so on.

Ok, and? That's not a lot of money these days, but sure. Do you want to take my wealth away? How about my investments? Do you want to take that too?

I can't believe Franko and the liberals think 275k a year is alot of money..

Jesus after taxes, Obama care.. They probably have a stupid wife always suckering the husband living beyond their means... With a huge mortgage, instead of buying a Ford Tarus she just has to have a BMW and the car payment that goes along with it, sending the kids to private school...

Etc... Etc..

No Franko 275k is not alot of money.

I think it's better to discuss what if $15.00 minimum wage did happen.

You have to understand that there are many associated costs with a huge increase in minimum wage. The wage itself is just a starting point.

When you get a raise, you contribute more to Social Security and Medicare. Your employer has to match your contributions, so an increase in your wage is also an increase in your employers contribution as well. The more you make, the more costly your unemployment and workman's compensation insurance. After all, if you have to file a claim, the payout is based on how much you make per year. Then we advance to paid holidays and vacation which most employers offer. That's time they pay you while not working, and of course, the more they pay you not to work, the bigger loss for them.

As Bear pointed out, deciding between automation and humans is based on which is cheaper for the employer in the long run. The more costly you make it for an employer to have humans doing the job, the better automation is as an option. McDonald's and Wendy's are already making such investments in threat of a higher minimum wage.

I disagree. I want to take you back to the Republican debates for the presidential nomination involving Newt Gingrich. Newt understood that not all people are college material. Our education system should teach children about manual labor--especially those who were brought up in families I just mentioned.

He was heavily criticized by the left for expressing the opinion that kids should work. They brought up slave labor, child labor, working for next to nothing, the whole ball of wax. I agreed with Newt because when I was a kid in school, we had such a program. Instead of sitting in useless study halls and gym, we were allowed to work at the various schools in the area and actually earn our first paycheck. I had to wake up extra early, go to a school, empty out trash cans, raise the US flag, burn the trash I collected, sweep the halls and so on.

It's funny you should post that my ultra Lefty friend on FB just posted a meme today on that we need way more technical High schools..

It's like the elite democrats say no, but the Middle class democrats and republicans want that... No wonder why Hillary lost.. So out of touch.

Forum List

Back