In a First, U.S. Admits Drones Have Killed 4 Americans

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Pacific Northwest

WASHINGTON — One day before President Obama is due to deliver a major speech on national security, his administration on Wednesday formally acknowledged that the United States had killed four American citizens in drone strikes in Yemen and Pakistan.

In a letter to Congressional leaders obtained by The New York Times, Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. disclosed that the administration had deliberately killed Anwar al-Awlaki, a radical Muslim cleric who was killed in a drone strike in September 2011 in Yemen.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/23/us/us-acknowledges-killing-4-americans-in-drone-strikes.html?_r=0

I was aware of Anwar al-Awlaki and his son, but was not aware of the other two American's killed.

CaféAuLait;7273378 said:

WASHINGTON — One day before President Obama is due to deliver a major speech on national security, his administration on Wednesday formally acknowledged that the United States had killed four American citizens in drone strikes in Yemen and Pakistan.

In a letter to Congressional leaders obtained by The New York Times, Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. disclosed that the administration had deliberately killed Anwar al-Awlaki, a radical Muslim cleric who was killed in a drone strike in September 2011 in Yemen.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/23/us/us-acknowledges-killing-4-americans-in-drone-strikes.html?_r=0

I was aware of Anwar al-Awlaki and his son, but was not aware of the other two American's killed.

Correction: U.S. drone strikes have killed four terrorists. Enemy combatants, not accountants form Phoenix.

CaféAuLait;7273378 said:

Correction: U.S. drone strikes have killed four terrorists. Enemy combatants, not accountants form Phoenix.

Link to al -Awlaki's son, an American citizen being declared an enemy combatant?

CaféAuLait;7273378 said:

Really? Then why was Obama UPSET when Anwar Al-Awlaki's teenage son was killed, he was not a terrorist and was not killed in the same strike which killed his father.

Obama 'Surprised,' 'Upset' When Anwar Al-Awlaki's Teenage Son Was Killed By U.S. Drone Strike

Obama 'Surprised,' 'Upset' When Anwar Al-Awlaki's Teenage Son Was Killed By U.S. Drone Strike

CaféAuLait;7273378 said:

Link to al -Awlaki's son, an American citizen being declared an enemy combatant?

He will try but won't find one.

The next month, another drone strike mistakenly killed Mr. Awlaki’s 16-year-old son, Abdulrahman, who had set off into the Yemeni desert in search of his father. Within just two weeks, the American government had killed three of its own citizens in Yemen. Only one had been killed on purpose.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/w...aki-a-us-citizen-in-americas-cross-hairs.html

So long as the government does not claim the precedent nor reserve the right to turn our drone technology against our own law-abiding citizenry while on American soil...

Within the narrow domain of American citizens who are overseas on hostile soil and who are engaged in anti-American terrorism activity or planning or collaboration, and who are thus intentionally targeted, and...

Within the narrow domain of American citizens who are overseas on hostile soil and who are present at locations occupied by known terrorists (al-Qaeda, Taliban, affiliates and offshoots, etc.)...

And, for either domain, within a context in which the target(s) cannot be reliably and safely arrested and processed through one or the other of our forms of judicial processing...

And, for either domain, within a context in which it is Now-or-Never... hit 'em now or lose the opportunity - perhaps forevermore - to neutralize a dangerous enemy who is sufficiently important to target in the first place...

And, for either domain, under circumstances in which a legal Kill Order or Death Warrant has been duly obtained and authenticated from a valid Court of Review or responsible and empowered high government officer...

And, for either domain, under circumstances in which Tactical Intelligence on location and whereabouts is sufficiently reliable so as to classify targeting of the location as a reasonable and certain or near-certain action...

Go for it...

Hell, I'll pull the Drone's firing trigger myself...

And whistle a happy tune while driving home to dinner.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;7273378 said:

Was Jude Mohammed and enemy combatant as well, I wonder.

This kill is disgusting.

Abdulrahman al-Awlaki wasn't on an American kill list.

Nor was he a member of Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninusla. Nor was he "an inspiration," as his father styled himself, for those determined to draw American blood;

nor had he gone "operational," as American authorities said his father had, in drawing up plots against Americans and American interests.

He was a boy who hadn't seen his father in two years, since his father had gone into hiding.

He was a boy who knew his father was on an American kill list and who snuck out of his family's home in the early morning hours of September 4, 2011, to try to find him.

He was a boy who was still searching for his father when his father was killed, and who, on the night he himself was killed, was saying goodbye to the second cousin with whom he'd lived while on his search, and the friends he'd made.

He was a boy among boys, then; a boy among boys eating dinner by an open fire along the side of a road when an American drone came out of the sky and fired the missiles that killed them all.

How Team Obama Justifies the Killing of a 16-Year-Old American - Conor Friedersdorf - The Atlantic

CaféAuLait;7273479 said:

Does it matter? Drone warfare is the warfare of the future. WE are currently in its earliest years and if a terrorists son happens to get caught in the middle, then so be it. I dont mean to be cold, but no one on this board or in your small realm of human connection is in any danger of a drone strike. Keep me and mine safe and keep sending those killing machines out to take care of business.

CaféAuLait;7273378 said:

Yet he brings foreigners here to stand trial in our courts.

CaféAuLait;7273378 said:

You gonna wait a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time for that one sweetie~

CaféAuLait;7273479 said:

Does it matter? Drone warfare is the warfare of the future. WE are currently in its earliest years and if a terrorists son happens to get caught in the middle, then so be it. I dont mean to be cold, but no one on this board or in your small realm of human connection is in any danger of a drone strike. Keep me and mine safe and keep sending those killing machines out to take care of business.

It does matter.

I have family and friends who may end up in the middle of a drone strike gone wrong. Don't jump to conclusions there either. Three dead by accident is not a good number.

So long as the government does not claim the precedent nor reserve the right to turn our drone technology against our own law-abiding citizenry while on American soil...

Within the narrow domain of American citizens who are overseas on hostile soil and who are engaged in anti-American terrorism activity or planning or collaboration, and who are thus intentionally targeted, and...

Within the narrow domain of American citizens who are overseas on hostile soil and who are present at locations occupied by known terrorists (al-Qaeda, Taliban, affiliates and offshoots, etc.)...

And, for either domain, within a context in which the target(s) cannot be reliably and safely arrested and processed through one or the other of our forms of judicial processing...

And, for either domain, within a context in which it is Now-or-Never... hit 'em now or lose the opportunity - perhaps forevermore - to neutralize a dangerous enemy who is sufficiently important to target in the first place...

And, for either domain, under circumstances in which a legal Kill Order or Death Warrant has been duly obtained and authenticated from a valid Court of Review or responsible and empowered high government officer...

And, for either domain, under circumstances in which Tactical Intelligence on location and whereabouts is sufficiently reliable so as to classify targeting of the location as a reasonable and certain or near-certain action...

Go for it...

Hell, I'll pull the Drone's firing trigger myself...

And whistle a happy tune while driving home to dinner.

And will you be the one flying the foreign nationals here to stand trial, and be availed of due process of law as he has already done for them? Would you be that puppy, snoopy?

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;7273523 said:
CaféAuLait;7273479 said:

It does matter.

I have family and friends who may end up in the middle of a drone strike gone wrong. Don't jump to conclusions there either. Three dead by accident is not a good number.

Any of us who have traveled to the middle east could be.

CaféAuLait;7273463 said:

The next month, another drone strike mistakenly killed Mr. Awlaki’s 16-year-old son, Abdulrahman, who had set off into the Yemeni desert in search of his father. Within just two weeks, the American government had killed three of its own citizens in Yemen. Only one had been killed on purpose.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/w...aki-a-us-citizen-in-americas-cross-hairs.html

Gibbs response when asked about this kill of the son is beyond chilling.

Check out his justification at the time. He says the child's father was irresponsible for joining AQ.

Ergo tough shit for that kid from Denver. Too bad, so sad, daddy was a terrorist so the kid's life was worthless to the administration.

How does Team Obama justify killing him?

The answer Gibbs gave is chilling.

ADAMSON: ...It's an American citizen that is being targeted without due process, without trial. And, he's underage. He's a minor.

GIBBS: I would suggest that you should have a far more responsible father if they are truly concerned about the well being of their children.

I don't think becoming an al Qaeda jihadist terrorist is the best way to go about doing your business.

Again, note that this kid wasn't killed in the same drone strike as his father. He was hit by a drone strike elsewhere, and by the time he was killed, his father had already been dead for two weeks.

Gibbs nevertheless defends the strike, not by arguing that the kid was a threat, or that killing him was an accident, but by saying that his late father irresponsibly joined al Qaeda terrorists.

How Team Obama Justifies the Killing of a 16-Year-Old American - Conor Friedersdorf - The Atlantic

"...Abdulrahman al-Awlaki wasn't on an American kill list..."
Was he not hanging-about with several suspected al-Qaeda members and was the target site also not pegged as containing an Egyptian considered to be a dangerous terrorist target of opportunity. Was not the 16 year old's killing a result of his being on-site with such folk? Sounds like unintended collateral damage and/or bad intelligence rather than malevolence. Any chance that's the case?

CaféAuLait;7273463 said:

Gibbs response when asked about this kill of the son is beyond chilling.

Check out his justification at the time. He says the child's father was irresponsible for joining AQ.

Ergo tough shit for that kid from Denver. Too bad, so sad, daddy was a terrorist so the kid's life was worthless to the administration.

How does Team Obama justify killing him?

The answer Gibbs gave is chilling.

ADAMSON: ...It's an American citizen that is being targeted without due process, without trial. And, he's underage. He's a minor.

GIBBS: I would suggest that you should have a far more responsible father if they are truly concerned about the well being of their children.

I don't think becoming an al Qaeda jihadist terrorist is the best way to go about doing your business.

Again, note that this kid wasn't killed in the same drone strike as his father. He was hit by a drone strike elsewhere, and by the time he was killed, his father had already been dead for two weeks.

Gibbs nevertheless defends the strike, not by arguing that the kid was a threat, or that killing him was an accident, but by saying that his late father irresponsibly joined al Qaeda terrorists.

Scary, your parent does something wrong and you have not set a good example and you are killed, so what it was your fathers fault!

'Far More Responsible Father' ...

I remember being upset at Gibb's idiotic remarks when he made them and still am today.

CaféAuLait;7273523 said:

It does matter.

Dont go to the Middle-East then. You have two options as far as I can see it. Either we accept drone warfare and make it as deadly and accurate as humanly possible or we keep risking American lives to extract kills. I will guarantee you anything that you want that if you are not somewhat involved in an activity that is detrimental to the U.S. or her allies than you should have no legitimate concern about a drone killing you..

"...And will you be the one flying the foreign nationals here to stand trial, and be availed of due process of law as he has already done for them? Would you be that puppy, snoopy?"
Dumb it down for me today, Sunshine... I'm really not sure what you're trying to get at... I have my suspicions, but I'm just not sure, and this sounds important enough to seek clarification... thanks.

CaféAuLait;7273523 said:
It does matter.

Dont go to the Middle-East then. You have two options as far as I can see it. Either we accept drone warfare and make it as deadly and accurate as humanly possible or we keep risking American lives to extract kills. I will guarantee you anything that you want that if you are not somewhat involved in an activity that is detrimental to the U.S. or her allies than you should have no legitimate concern about a drone killing you..

Have you thought that some may not have a choice in going? Aside you say one is risking American lives for extract kills, what about the three killed by accident. They were American lives too, no?

Forum List

Back