In a weird way, the GOP may have handed itself an opportunity on ABORTION

Yea. Imagine watching Republican politicians standing up to their own supporters, telling them that some abortion should be acceptable. That might have been possible recently, but not in today's GOP. Now it's all about giving their base the red meat they want because they don't want to get primaried.

They need to kiss Trump's ass, say they love guns, and be against abortion. If they don't do all of that, then they're Marxist commie RINO Nazis and they get voted out and replaced with someone who will say all that.
All decent people oppose abortion

MAGAmike wants to jail people for anything related to abortion.
It may be that some are willing to sacrifice their careers for the issue. On one hand that hurts this process, but on the other, I guess they deserve respect for it.

Principles are in short supply in that profession.

/——/ Libs never compromise on their agenda. It will always be abortions on demand with no restrictions.
The amendment just passed in Ohio reveals that statement to be incorrect, as it restricted abortion in the 3rd trimester, except for medical reasons.

And every liberal was fine with that. There are zero liberals out there saying "We now need to work forward from that and allow 3rd trimester abortions!".

Liberals are fine with a ban on late abortions. Liberals will compromise, conservatives won't.

Would you have a problem with a Republican pushing for a compromise on abortion? Like allowing all abortion within the first 15 or 16 weeks?
I would not support that

But if its the only blight on a repub’s record I might look the other way

The trouble is it usually wont be the only complaint lodged against him

The amendment just passed in Ohio reveals that statement to be incorrect, as it restricted abortion in the 3rd trimester, except for medical reasons.

And every liberal was fine with that. There are zero liberals out there saying "We now need to work forward from that and allow 3rd trimester abortions!".

Liberals are fine with a ban on late abortions. Liberals will compromise, conservatives won't.
/——/ Some libs are fine with limits, others aren’t.

I'm seeing several articles on how the GOP is trying to figure out a way to mitigate the damage from their overreach on abortion (yes, I know some of the True Believers will deny there has been any overreach, but we're going to deal with reality here).

The answer may be right in front of them. All they have to do is embrace a word that appears to scare the living shit out of their base.

Their smartest move may be to say, "okay, let's compromise on abortion. We want strict limits, you want no limits. WE are willing to COMPROMISE. Let's have a 16-week limit, plus the regular exceptions. We can meet in the middle, it will be available in a vast majority of situations, and everyone can get some of what they really want."

Instead of their standard, ham handed, all-or-nothing approach, they have a chance to be the adult in the room for a change. And who knows, maybe it won't kill them, and they'll be able to lead the way on OTHER issues, TOO. Maybe this could START something.

Not holding my breath.

1699722400084.png

They're too afraid of their base and you can't win in November if you don't win the primary.

And for the base the word "compromise" is another word for "traitor"

The GOP pissed any credibility on abortion away. No woman will trust a conholes with their life or health.

They say misery loves company. Nobody is as miserable as a leftist, and they sure like company.

Your message implies that all women are pro-choice. How fucked-up dumb is that?

Scotus did the right thing. I don’t see how you say they screwed us. If the dems regain a scotus majority, you’ll probably see dobbs reversed, and if they gain the house back, you’ll see abortion become law, and then one will have to wonder…do they REALLY believe in the constitution?
Do you want to win or gift total control to Democrats? We have been fighting abortion successfully for decades, then we gifted Dems the greatest gift in a century by overturning Roe vs Wade. Posed to get wiped out in 2022 the SCOTUS kicked us right in the groin with that stupid move.

Well, given our current condition, I can't blame the electorate for rewarding a party for doing that.

Once our "leaders" (ha) learn they can be rewarded for doing something positive, maybe it will start a trend.
You can't blame Democrats for rewarding a candidate who compromise.
To a party whose base considers compromise akin to treason?
1699722647429.gif

Descent people don't allow a woman the misery of carrying a dead fetus in the womb for weeks.
Here’s a compromise for you:

Have cases like that reviewed by a panel of doctors with the authority to grant exceptions

That ship has sailed.

Republicans can SWEAR whatever they want about national abortion bans. Voters would need to be very gullible to believe that the GOP would hold their promise on that issue.

If they can pass a national abortion ban, they absolutely will.
And they are facing reality after SCOTUS left it to the States. They know that in hindsight now.

Forum List

Back