Is it appropriate for a man and woman to be platonic friends with each other? Mike Pence said he won’t go to dinner with a woman who is not his wife.

Perception becomes reality. If you are married or the lady friend is married it is not a great idea to spend alone time with the opposite sex. Americans love dirty laundry. People will talk and before you know it in the public eye you are having an affair. This is reality. Sucks but that is the way it is. As a young man in a small town I was known to be a player. While I did play the field a bit it was no where near the extent perceived by the town. I had to change my behavior to change my reputation.

I agree with Mike Pence on that I disagree with him on a lot of things. I agree with him on that and the fact that he wants to hold the BLM rioters accountable

This is a new thing that we never saw in American history. I’m not talking about coworkers or relatives by the way folks I’m not talking about your female coworker something like that. No for example I’m talking about say a man and a woman go out on a date with each other, and the woman or man says oh, I’m not romantically interested but let’s remain friends. I think that’s bad for society. It doesn’t make any sense. It’s something that Democrats are pushing and it’s weakening society.
I know on no politician who expresses the notion that rioters should be unaccountable (except for Trump re: his January 6 goons, of course) , but I won't judge Mike Pence for safeguarding his virtue.

If he knows that his raging hormones mean that he cannot repress his sexual urges for the duration of a dinner, other diners, waiters, and waitresses should be grateful for his avoiding such public occasions of wanton indulgence - although the courts found his GOP ticket-mate to be a sexual abuser, and it did not impair his worshipers' devotion.

I know on no politician who expresses the notion that rioters should be unaccountable, but I won't judge Mike Pence for safeguarding his virtue.

If he knows that his raging hormones mean that he cannot repress his sexual urges for the duration of a dinner, other diners, waiters, and waitresses should be grateful for his avoiding such public occasions of wanton indulgence - although the courts found his GOP ticket-mate to be a sexual abuser, and it did not impair his worshipers' devotion.
And you're one of those who are blind to reality. He's not doing it to protect women from himself, I thought we made that plain. Maybe you weren't paying attention?

I know on no politician who expresses the notion that rioters should be unaccountable, but I won't judge Mike Pence for safeguarding his virtue.

First off the original post could’ve been written better by me. This is really meant for younger people who are single. And whether or not, it’s a positive thing for them to have a platonic relationship with someone of the opposite sex that’s not a relative or a coworker.

As for Pence…I don’t think it has anything to do with hormones or the potential for cheating. I think that Mike Pence, and many other men and women in the world just happened to have those views.

It’s not a matter of people saying “well I’m married, if I go out to dinner with someone of the opposite sex who’s not my significant other I might want to do something with him or her”

And you're one of those who are blind to reality. He's not doing it to protect women from himself, I thought we made that plain. Maybe you weren't paying attention?
I have not seen any explanation from Pence regarding his peculiar aversion, nor would I necessarily swallow it if he came up with one.

Last edited:
First off the original post could’ve been written better by me. This is really meant for younger people who are single. And whether or not, it’s a positive thing for them to have a platonic relationship with someone of the opposite sex was not a relative or a coworker.

As for Pence…I don’t think it has anything to do with hormones or the potential for cheating. I think that Mike Pence, and many other men and women in the world just happened to have those views.

It’s not a matter of people saying “well I’m married, if I go out to dinner with someone of the opposite sex who’s not my significant other I might want to do something with him or her”
I just don't see why people have a hard time with someone simply stating that they won't do something. It's almost as if they don't like it when someone has the moral strength to take such a stand.

First off the original post could’ve been written better by me. This is really meant for younger people who are single. And whether or not, it’s a positive thing for them to have a platonic relationship with someone of the opposite sex that’s not a relative or a coworker.

Perhaps I find it odd because I often socialize and dine with friends to whom I am not married, regardless of gender. It is not an issue that would ever have occurred to me.

If it is a taboo for some, so it goes.

I have not seen any explanation from Pence regarding is peculiar aversion, nor would I necessarily swallow it if he came up with one.
That's because it's completely foreign to your worldview, and he owes no one any explanation. I respect a man who respects his wife and reputation enough to avoid even the appearance of impropriety. The fact that some mock and ridicule that stance says more about them than it does about him.

Perhaps I find it odd because I often socialize and dine with friends to whom I am not married, regardless of gender. It is not an issue that would ever have occurred to me.

If it is a taboo for some, so it goes.
You're also not in a career that can be derailed by accusations of that nature, nor have staked out a moral position that would make you a massive hypocrite should you get caught doing something ilicit.

He admitted publicly he'll never be in the same room as a woman without a chaperone because it's too much for him to handle. What a pussy.
Quote what he actually said, not what you imagine he said, and was that the last time you met him?

He admitted publicly he'll never be in the same room as a woman without a chaperone because it's too much for him to handle. What a pussy.
In his position thatsa good idea we have that rule for the pastor and deacons in church and we all know what happens when there is no chaperone wether true or not the tounges start wagging .

The Left has always seethed at Pences astute recognition of their playbook. And absolutely cannot stand that he deprives them of the chance to use one of their go-to smears against him.

Quote what he actually said, not what you imagine he said, and was that the last time you met him?
Why waste time on a brainwashed loser who's political career is over except for you fundie nutjobs? Wait here's his quote [paraphrased]: "I am a pussy bitch who is afraid to speak to a woman without somebody to protect me nearby."

Why waste time on a brainwashed loser who's political career is over except for you fundie nutjobs? Wait here's his quote [paraphrased]: "I am a pussy bitch who is afraid to speak to a woman without somebody to protect me nearby."
So nothing then, you just made it up. Not surprised.

You're also not in a career that can be derailed by accusations of that nature, nor have staked out a moral position that would make you a massive hypocrite should you get caught doing something ilicit.
Maybe I just don't presume every pair of diners I see are engaging in sexual relations, nor would I respect anyone whose mind wallows in such presumptions to give a damn about their prurient world view.

But, as I opined, If it is a taboo for some, so it goes.

Forum List

Back