Is it "Congress's" Constitutional Duty To Raise The Debt Ceiling?

Think about it. Karine Jean-Pierre says:

So, if it was set up that it is up to Congress to raise the debt ceiling then that pretty much means that it isn't an automatic thing if they have to decide to do it. So, it is not Congress's Constitutional duty to just raise the debt ceiling automatically because it was set up that they debate it.

Further, I find it fairly amusing that some Democrats want to use the 14th amendment from 1868 to override a law from 1917.

The debt ceiling's purpose is to prevent the government from spending more than it has been authorized to do so by congress. The problem is that unlike prior to 1917 congress would pay for programs with a combination of taxes, excises, and borrowing in order to specifically finance it.

The change in 1917 generalized the borrowing into a collective, instead of by individual allocation.

But the debt ceiling isn't a line in the sand drawn for political purposes, but is supposed to represent the aggregate shortfall between what congress has budgeted and authorized, and the tax revenues received to pay for it.

When congress cut taxes, it was their constitutional responsibility to incorporate that loss of revenue into their budgets, or refuse to authorize spending beyond the revenues received.

The 14th amendment attached an obligation to the nations debts

The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned.

how does one negotiate with retards
I don't know.
I've been trying, teabaggers just don't listen.
who declare no negotiation? Explain how it's congresses job to cowtie to the president?
WTF? RETARD.
I just explained it to you dumbfuck.
See above, teabaggers either ignore words, don't understand words or are, just STUPID.
Just like their dear leader.

Yeah, I know.
Teabaggers want spending cuts.
Like clockwork, teabaggers only want spending cuts when a democrat is in office.
Would it surprise you to learn that Tea Bag conservatives do not rule the republican party the way marxists rule the democrat party?

There is a constant struggle of ideas within the repubs that does not exist among dems

Would it surprise you to learn that Tea Bag conservatives do not rule the republican party the way marxists rule the democrat party?

There is a constant struggle of ideas within the repubs that does not exist among dems
When it comes to deficit busting tax cuts, they're all in lockstep.

Think about it. Karine Jean-Pierre says:

“You’ve heard from the president multiple times during the last five months. He’s been very clear,” she said. “You’ve heard from the president; you’ve heard from the economic team; you’ve heard from Democrats, the leadership in the House, in the Senate talk — speak to this about the urgency, about Congress actually needing to act and doing their constitutional duty.”

So, if it was set up that it is up to Congress to raise the debt ceiling then that pretty much means that it isn't an automatic thing if they have to decide to do it. So, it is not Congress's Constitutional duty to just raise the debt ceiling automatically because it was set up that they debate it.

Further, I find it fairly amusing that some Democrats want to use the 14th amendment from 1868 to override a law from 1917.

Not to mention, Republicans in the House have already passed a debt ceiling increase. We're waiting on the Senate and Biden to pass it into law.

/----/ Good point.
d_CV7wlnlfkNLZIWnX3S5_BcFev7nMG7pi1qouzhYT4ybnriFX-2lRNXJdx93K7nQnjcz4U_qrH8lFWIad-uc6QVL0oYCb7sXA=s0-d-e1-ft

Typical leftist, you don't grasp the difference between getting free government shit and earning job benefits, it's just too complicated for you, you're butt stupid
Social Security and Medicare are "free government shit?"
Disabled veterans get "free government shit?"
Retired veterans get "free government shit?"

Perhaps you should go get some "free government shit." As a severely retarded chimp I'm sure you qualify.

Forum List

Back