Is Jesus woke?

Jesus said that, that's right. Because He knew why He had come. He knew, as He said, that not one jot, not one tittle would pass from the law, and that we are helpless to keep it PERFECTLY as is required.

So He did it for us, and then died, and then took on God's wrath for sin, FOR US. Remember Jesus said, "No greater love has man than this--that He should lay down his life for his friends". And Jesus did that.
Oh yeah? Then how come we can now work on Sundays and eat Ham sandwiches ??? If the law didn't change..

Well it's helpful not to just rip verses out of context. This is where the rich man came to Jesus and said, I have kept all these commandments. Jesus said, yes, but give up all your possessions and follow me. The rich man could not do it. The disciples, dismayed, said basically, this is a very hard thing! Who can do it?

Jesus' answer is correct. We cannot do it of our own power. The Spirit of God can do it IN us. Amen
So do the requirements that he gave still obligate us today? Do we have to sell everything we have for eternal life?

Matthew 19:16-24

The Rich and the Kingdom of God​

16 Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”
17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”
18 “Which ones?” he inquired.
Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19 honor your father and mother,’[a] and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’[b]”
20 “All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”
21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

So do the requirements that he gave still obligate us today? Do we have to sell everything we have for eternal life?

Matthew 19:16-24​

16 Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”
17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”
Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19 honor your father and mother,’[a] and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’[b]”
21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
I just quoted Matt 19:26..

Jesus people really have to read 20 verses before and 20 verses after to get the context correct

I just quoted Matt 19:26..

Jesus people really have to read 20 verses before and 20 verses after to get the context correct
I just read 20 before, and 20 after, and he didn't say not to sell everything. The part about selling was pretty much over when the guy gave up and walked away. So is selling everything you have a requirement for eternal life or not? You just read where Jesus said it was, and he didn't seem to change his mind in the 20 verses before or after.

Oh yeah? Then how come we can now work on Sundays and eat Ham sandwiches ??? If the law didn't change..
Matthew 15:11 may offer us an answer. Jesus was telling his followers it is not what goes into one's mouth that makes someone unclean. It is what comes out of the mouth that makes one unclean.

This is why we now understand why eating a ham sandwich will not harm us.

I just read 20 before, and 20 after, and he didn't say not to sell everything. The part about selling was pretty much over when the guy gave up and walked away. So is selling everything you have a requirement for eternal life or not? You just read where Jesus said it was, and he didn't seem to change his mind in the 20 verses before or after.
Oh god once again

He said to the rich man sell everything you have, he didn't say to the poor man sell everything ..

And it doesn't made because like I said verse 26 is the key..if God feels like it the rich man will go to heaven

Matthew 19:20-28
New King James Version

20 The young man said to Him, “All these things I have (A)kept [a]from my youth. What do I still lack?”

and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”
22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

With God All Things Are Possible(C)​

23 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “Assuredly, I say to you that (D)it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”
25 When His disciples heard it, they were greatly astonished, saying, “Who then can be saved?”
26 But Jesus looked at them and said to them, “With men this is impossible, but (E)with God all things are possible.”
27 Then Peter answered and said to Him, “See, (F)we have left all and followed You. Therefore what shall we have?”
28 So Jesus said to them, “Assuredly I say to you, that in the regeneration, when the Son of Man sits on the throne of His glory, (G)you who have followed Me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel

No. The young man was already living eternal life, but wanted to do even more in this life. Jesus explained to do that, he would have to give all that he had and then follow him, become an apostle (missionary).

Matthew 15:11 may offer us an answer. Jesus was telling his followers it is not what goes into one's mouth that makes someone unclean. It is what comes out of the mouth that makes one unclean.

This is why we now understand why eating a ham sandwich will not harm us.
Exactly so is Paul wrong by saying drunks (addicts) won't go to heaven in Galatians chapter 5 and Ephesians chapter5?

No. The young man was already living eternal life, but wanted to do even more in this life. Jesus explained to do that, he would have to give all that he had and then follow him, become an apostle (missionary).
Don't think so.

Matthew 19:16-24​

The point was idolatry. So no. The hard point Jesus was making is we are to put NOTHING in front of him. For the rich man it was his money. For others, it's different.

Really important to read for context. Jesus said to him, one thing do YOU lack. YOU, the rich man. In other places, it is very clear what is necessary to be saved. It's not sell all your possessions.

For example:

If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.--Romans 10:9-10

Oh god once again

He said to the rich man sell everything you have, he didn't say to the poor man sell everything ..

And it doesn't made because like I said verse 26 is the key..if God feels like it the rich man will go to heaven

Matthew 19:20-28​

New King James Version​

20 The young man said to Him, “All these things I have (A)kept [a]from my youth. What do I still lack?”

and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”
22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

With God All Things Are Possible(C)​

23 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “Assuredly, I say to you that (D)it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”
25 When His disciples heard it, they were greatly astonished, saying, “Who then can be saved?”
26 But Jesus looked at them and said to them, “With men this is impossible, but (E)with God all things are possible.”
27 Then Peter answered and said to Him, “See, (F)we have left all and followed You. Therefore what shall we have?”
28 So Jesus said to them, “Assuredly I say to you, that in the regeneration, when the Son of Man sits on the throne of His glory, (G)you who have followed Me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel
OK. So why did he tell the guy what he did? Just didn't like his looks?

Nope. He specifically asked what he needed to do to gain eternal life.

Exactly so is Paul wrong by saying drunks (addicts) won't go to heaven in Galatians chapter 5 and Ephesians chapter5?

If you live like that, it's proof that you aren't imbued by the Holy Spirit.

We all struggle with sin. We aren't expected to be perfect, however.

This opens a whole nother topic of sanctification.

The point was idolatry. So no. The hard point Jesus was making is we are to put NOTHING in front of him. For the rich man it was his money. For others, it's different.
He didn't mention idols to the guy. You're stretching a little much, aren't you?

Really important to read for context. Jesus said to him, one thing do YOU lack. YOU, the rich man. In other places, it is very clear what is necessary to be saved. It's not sell all your possessions.

For example:

If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.--Romans 10:9-10
Got it. Different requirements for different people, right?

Forum List

Back