Is This Racist?

Is This Racist

• Total voters
The current cultural meaning of "racist" is the assumption that all people of a given racial background have behavioral, intellectual, physical, and/or moral traits in common - just because of their racial background.

To describe "white people" (presumably European Caucasians) as "your" people obviously presumes that "white people" have traits in common that non-"white people" do not have. Thus, the sign is "racist."
So, is BET racist?

Why of course not!!! How could you ask such a thing? You...you...RACIST BIGOT, you!

This sign, without context, is not racist. Knowing the context, that the KKK is behind it, makes it racist.

Pure nonsense

So the KKK isn't a racist organization responsible for crimes against minorities and acts of terrorism?
Not the question in the op

Maybe they're just typical white people :dunno:

The KKK are typical white people?

The question was "Is this sign racist"?

Because the KKK is responsible for the message on this billboard, the answer is: Yes, it's racist. By knowing the context and reading between the lines, the sign is code for "black people are inferior, etc.".

Were it some weird white people who are proud of their race who paid for the sign, and they had no problems with other races, then, no, the sign wouldn't be racist.
If you have to read between the lines, then you are making shit up.

Reading between the lines is just code for applying My agenda.

The funny thing is, no-one's explained how the sign imparts a racist message.

Gladly. The sign, advertising "White Pride Radio" clearly indicates that "YOUR people" share the same skin color. MY people don't all share my skin color. To assume that the parts of my family that don't share my skin tone can't be "my people" is racist.

Does that make Black Entertainment Television racist, too?

Gladly. The sign, advertising "White Pride Radio" clearly indicates that "YOUR people" share the same skin color. MY people don't all share my skin color. To assume that the parts of my family that don't share my skin tone can't be "my people" is racist.

Yes

Yes

I wonder why it's never been condemned as such by the mainstream media.

You epitomize racism. But people like you do not make me angry. I just feel sorry for your soul.

This sign, without context, is not racist. Knowing the context, that the KKK is behind it, makes it racist.

Pure nonsense

So the KKK isn't a racist organization responsible for crimes against minorities and acts of terrorism?
Not the question in the op

Maybe they're just typical white people :dunno:

The KKK are typical white people?

The question was "Is this sign racist"?

Because the KKK is responsible for the message on this billboard, the answer is: Yes, it's racist. By knowing the context and reading between the lines, the sign is code for "black people are inferior, etc.".

Were it some weird white people who are proud of their race who paid for the sign, and they had no problems with other races, then, no, the sign wouldn't be racist.

The code argument is back. That you see racism in everything is code for you are a dumbass.

It is not racist for you to love yourself (your race) but it is racist for you to try to prevent me from loving you (your race) :)

The first principle in Kwanzaa emphasizes unity of race.
That can be taken both ways, good or bad to have unity by race,
but it is still "race based"
Unity of race is not racist.

Okay so is this billboard calling for unity of race?
No its calling for white pride. What exactly do whites have to be proud of that has to do with being white other than killing other people and stealing their land?

Okay so you are talking about the slogan underneath.
That is different from the billboard part that says loving your people by race.

So let's get this straight:
* is it okay for blacks to rally black power, pride and unity based on that
and is it okay for whites to do the same
* is it okay for blacks and whites both to talk about "loving their own people by race"

And as for what do whites have to be proud of based on what you listed,
that's like saying what do blacks have to be proud of if "all they do is kill each other, steal and push drugs"

If you say that blacks can be proud of Dr. King and Nelson Mandela, Desmond Tutu and other leaders as role models
Can't you say that whites can be proud of Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln and other great leaders as role models, too?

You can pick apart both the good and the bad,
you can say that it isn't because of race that makes these people great.

So what? Doesn't it come out even in the end,
that as much good as bad comes from any group or any person.

I have as many faults as strengths, some can be tied to my culture
from my parents and upbringing, and some come from my environment.

Why focus on the negative and get resentful, why not focus on the good that empowers
people to strive to be the best we can be, and learn from both the good and the bad we have inherited from the past.

Why this need to project onto race or religion to blame some other group outside ourselves?
I'm saying that its ok for Blacks to be proud of Black leaders because they made an impact inspite of being Black and discriminated against. What hardship has a white person gone through simply because they were white and still achieved?

Like him? Too bad you ignore his wise words.

"There is a class of colored people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs. There is a certain class of race-problem solvers who don´t want the patient to get well."

Booker T. Washington - 1911

No, I don't think that the sign is racist. It would be racist if it said that the white race is superior though.

No, I don't think that the sign is racist. It would be racist if it said that the white race is superior though.

As the report says the sign was posted by KKK. You may not find KKK racist. But the vast number of people in the U.S. will disagree with you.

You're kind of missing the point. Having pride in one's skin color is kind of silly. To imply that only people who share your skin color are "your people" is racist.

Black Entertainment Television isn't called "Black Pride Television." It's providing a platform for shows that weren't necessarily shown on the other networks.

Having said that, BET is losing its reason for being, as shows on mainstream networks are more and more diverse.

As the report says the sign was posted by KKK. You may not find KKK racist. But the vast number of people in the U.S. will disagree with you.

The question was is the SIGN racist.

Your admiration of KKK is not against the law. You are entitled to that.

You're kind of missing the point. Having pride in one's skin color is kind of silly. To imply that only people who share your skin color are "your people" is racist.

Black Entertainment Television isn't called "Black Pride Television." It's providing a platform for shows that weren't necessarily shown on the other networks.

Having said that, BET is losing its reason for being, as shows on mainstream networks are more and more diverse.

Might be silly, but it isn't racist. While I do think the KKK is a hate organization, the sign itself is not hateful. I think most white people, like myself, probably don't really even think about their skin color usually, until such questions like this arise.

The question was is the SIGN racist.

Your admiration of KKK is not against the law. You are entitled to that.

You're nothing but a rotten troll. Go back under your bridge and don't let me see or hear from you again.

Might be silly, but it isn't racist. While I do think the KKK is a hate organization, the sign itself is not hateful. I think most white people, like myself, probably don't really even think about their skin color usually, until such questions like this arise.

That sign is promoting a website that is run by KKK and you are saying that sign is not racist. You have right to be a racist. This is a free country. But please be honest with yourself.

Forum List

Back